Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:21 AM

Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed (2757 Views)

Which Of The Job Will He Go For? Your Frank Advise Needed / ICPC Job Vs Lecturing Job / 200k Lagos Job Vs 300k Kaduna Job, Which One Will You Prefer And Give Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by pimper24: 11:18pm On Feb 20, 2018
A friend who works in the private sector currently earns 350k net monthly pay in a private company. He just got an offer for Lecturing in one of the Federal universities. Should he quit and join the academia. You guys knows what the university salary scale looks like
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Iseoluwani: 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2018
pimper24:
A friend who works in the private sector currently earns 350k net monthly pay in a private company. He just got an offer for Lecturing in one of the Federal universities. Should he quit and join the academia. You guys knows what the university salary scale looks like

He should join the lecturing job if he is passionate about leaning. University job allows one to multi task
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by myke92(m): 12:04am On Feb 21, 2018
Lecturing job, he'll appreciate it in the long run.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by lordraiden(m): 12:52am On Feb 21, 2018
Bros tell that your friend to keep the private company job unless he looks at the future of the company and its shaky or the job is unsecured... You want him to enter lecturing job where those useless boys that call dem self cultist will keep threatening you if you don't pass dem

5 Likes

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Nutase: 4:17am On Feb 21, 2018
Nigeria has substituted our passion with the love for money.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by dingbang(m): 4:37am On Feb 21, 2018
Nutase:
you are right.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by AdolfHitlerxXx: 6:47am On Feb 21, 2018
IF your story is true....because plenty stories are fake these days, it is a no-brainer.

I know someone faced with the same "dilemma" 5 years ago, it was 280k Private vs 120k Lecturing.

Picked the former& it has risen to over 700k now. His peers even the most hardworking ones with plenty publications have not smelt 250k

Depends on the growth and prospects, think well.

11 Likes

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by lobell: 7:42am On Feb 21, 2018
He's currently earning as much as a Professor. I doubt he has a PhD. If he does, he may be offered a senior lecturer (250k) role but most likely a Lecturer I role (170k). Without a PhD he'll end up as a Lecturer II(140k) if he has a masters and the story gets worse from there.

My advice keep trudging where he is now, save up and go into self employment later. It will pay him at the end.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Tracypacy(f): 10:30am On Feb 21, 2018
Thats the reality today.
Nutase:
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by damtan(m): 12:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
Nutase:
Your passion may not be someone's else passion. Generalising passion in this case is fallacious.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by ozoneboy(m): 12:51pm On Feb 21, 2018
Bet, u better stay with the 350k job, when u retire you can go for the lecturing by then u already have numerous investment. Let me tell you, dormant lectures will join your company if giving opportunity.me am an Industrial Chemist, with MSC and over 6yrs experience in QA,if u guy have vacancy won't mind joining thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by kkfactor(m): 1:31pm On Feb 21, 2018
[quote author=pimper24 post=65239972]A friend who works in the private sector currently earns 350k net monthly pay in a private company. He just got an offer for Lecturing in one of the Federal universities. Should he quit and join the academia. You guys knows what the university salary scale looks like [/quote

for me..... lecturing all the way.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by beeyourduhn(m): 1:40pm On Feb 21, 2018
win a chance to get free professional interview preparation session from a top career caoch in your industry by sharing you previous interview experience https://www.facebook.com/talentmineafrica/photos/a.573725369332351.1073741828.565084063529815/1678575378847339/?type=3&theater
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Nutase: 1:50pm On Feb 21, 2018
damtan:

Your passion may not be someone's else passion. Generalising passion in this case is fallacious.
is English so difficult for you to understand?? Did my statement make reference to anybody's passion or generalize about anybodys passion??
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by kinglover(m): 4:38pm On Feb 21, 2018
He should please connect me for the lecturing job please, I'm passionately in need of it.07037428515, first class in Statistics, done with Master....awaiting the result
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by jaychubi: 8:38pm On Feb 21, 2018
pimper24:

D salary of a Prof on step 1 is a meager 381k which u r almost earning now. Pls DNT quit for academics now, make money and invest well n join academics when u are 55plus. Lecturers are the most under paid profession, u earn PhD to earn 140 to 250k max.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by undisputedgbola(m): 10:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
Nutase:
is English so difficult for you to understand?? Did my statement make reference to anybody's passion or generalize about anybodys passion??
Lol

Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by naturalwaves: 12:05am On Feb 22, 2018
Nutase:
Keep on going in cycles. By the statement you made, you implied that lecturing is his passion and the private job is the money spinning one and that the person is on a dilemma because of the money involved in the latter which isn't his passion but you do not have any evidence to back it up and who says one's passion cannot pay higher than something that isn't too much of a passion?? There are so many loopholes in that statement of yours and the guy did well by pointing it out to you.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Nutase: 6:36am On Feb 22, 2018
naturalwaves:

Keep on going in cycles. By the statement you made, you implied that lecturing is his passion and the private job is the money spinning one and that the person is on a dilemma because of the money involved in the latter which isn't his passion but you do not have any evidence to back it up and who says one's passion cannot pay higher than something that isn't too much of a passion?? There are so many loopholes in that statement of yours and the guy did well by pointing it out to you.
lemme make it easy for you. I used the word 'our' because people open topics like this everyday. The truth is if our economy was good people won't be asking such questions because it would have been obvious to us all what we wanted to do.

Stop interpreting peoples statements when you don't know what is in there minds.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by naturalwaves: 7:41am On Feb 22, 2018
Nutase:
lemme make it easy for you. I used the word 'our' because people open topics like this everyday. The truth is if our economy was good people won't be asking such questions because it would have been obvious to us all what we wanted to do.

Stop interpreting peoples statements when you don't know what is in there minds.
Economy is not the determinant for asking such questions. There are varying reasons for such. I was once faced with such dilemma between banking and teaching in which I finally left my banking job. So, it is not about economy. There are other important things involved and people mostly ask such questions in order to get the opinion of other or for others to point out a comparative analysis of the two choices.
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Nutase: 8:21am On Feb 22, 2018
naturalwaves:

Economy is not the determinant for asking such questions. There are varying reasons for such. I was once faced with such dilemma between banking and teaching in which I finally left my banking job. So, it is not about economy. There are other important things involved and people mostly ask such questions in order to get the opinion of other or for others to point out a comparative analysis of the two choices.
congratulations
Re: Lecturer Job VS 370k Job Advise Needed by Partnerbiz(f): 8:52am On Feb 22, 2018
jaychubi:

D salary of a Prof on step 1 is a meager 381k which u r almost earning now. Pls DNT quit for academics now, make money and invest well n join academics when u are 55plus. Lecturers are the most under paid profession, u earn PhD to earn 140 to 250k max

And which job do they do?

I know one that lectures for just 2 months in a year and thats 3 times a week for those 2 months because he teaches the course with 2 other lecturers.

Each course has 3 lecturers.
That's in UNN.

So they have a lot of free time to engage in other things.
The sound ones engage in consultancy, etc.

Those in Legal profession also engage in legal practice.

So they are even overpaid given what they offer coupled with the flexibility involved.

(1) (Reply)

Goodmorning,please Note That The Portal For NBUILD Will Now Open Within The Week / Finally,nigerian Army DSSC/SSC 2013 / Very Lucrative Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.