Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It (1428 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And Why You Should Avoid Them / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by Emaxwell(m): 5:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
Today, you and I will go through 7 deadly mistakes undergraduates make and how to avoid them.
We are all students and always in the field of learning.
What I am trying to say here is that when you make a mistake, there are only three things you should ever do.

Admit it
Learn from it
Don’t repeat it

Allskulnews..com is in the business of sensitizing and changing the perceptions of several undergraduates.
We all make mistakes, have struggles and even regret things in our past.
However, what we never realize is that we are not our mistakes or our struggles but we are here right now with the power to shape our day and our future.

Basically, this is the reason for this article on Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make.
Before I move into the topic proper, I will share you a good story.
Just try to pick the points from it and patient to read through to the end.

Don’t Be Tired Of Reading
The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
A lot of graduates live day in day out with the regret of not thinking about money while in school.
I spoke to a friend [200 level Petroleum Engineering Student] a few days ago on WhatsApp and she made the following statement.
I am tired of school jawe, I just want to finish school and then I will work in an oil company
In my mind, “I just said shey your father has an oil company ba?”.
Well enough of the beating around the bush.
Let’s head immediately to the deadly mistakes undergraduates make and how to avoid them.
Always Thinking That You Will Get A dream Job Related To Your Course Of Study After Graduating
Just like I illustrated with the what a friend said above about my Petroleum engineering friend who wants to work in an oil company, the bitter truth about the matter is that he might graduate as a petroleum engineer and after frustrations about not getting an oil work, will now be selling Red Oil in the market.
Oil company work is not child’s play to get that easy nowadays.
The question that should continuously run through your mind is that “If by the time I graduate and I couldn’t get my dream Job, What will I do Next”.

Nevertheless, I am not saying you should be negative but all I am saying is that You should have other plans.
To avoid being stranded is the reason I am writing this article today.
Although, the good part is that it is never too late to start something now.
To sit down in the library all day reading books alone without thinking of another alternative to making it in life is a dead waste.
We are all in the gutter, some of us are looking at the stars.
Life doesn’t require that you be the best, only that we try our best.
Do not allow people to judge your struggling by the chapter they walked in on.
Life begins the moment you begin to take responsibility for your actions.
Likewise, it is high time you assume responsibility for yourself.
Please note that your age is not a barrier.
Of course, you are not also too young to start making decisions.
Therefore be strong enough to stand alone, smart enough to know when you need help and brave enough to ask for it.

Not Working To Get Money
If you have not read it, you can do that now before continuing.
I will patiently wait for you to do so.
Some students totally rely on their parents for support [school fees, allowance, clothing, materials, toiletries etc].
This immediately makes them feel comfortable and in the actual sense blocks their thinking.
Therefore, the only thing that comes to their minds is spending the money without ever thinking of making it their selves.
Of course, you can see the result of this attitude everywhere today.
This is the major reason you see a lot of jobless graduates everywhere today.

Don’t be among these set of graduates, learn from them.
Remember it is always better to learn from other people’s experience it will save you from falling into the same situation that will have a long life tribal mark on your life.
Not Preparing For Yourself Without Certificate
As an educated individual, you should have different plans.
If plan A doesn’t work, you can fall back to plan B and even when Plan B doesn’t work out, move to the next plan.

Always have a plan.
Not Learning A Skill
The capacity to learn is a gift.
The ability to learn is a skill while the willingness to learn is a choice.
It is very imperative to note that only the people who take learning, growth and skill development into their own hands will be tomorrows leaders.
No matter how talented you are, your talent will fail you if you are not skilled.
Skill is a achieved through practice.
You need to work hard and dedicate yourself to being better every single day.
Modern education is overrated in the world, especially in Nigeria.
Mark Zuckerberg has to leave school first to pursue his passion and look at Facebook today.
According to Vanguard Newspaper of 24th July, 2008,almost every home in Nigeria Has a graduate.
Likewise, according to prediction, by 2020, every home will have 5 graduates each who are jobless.
Therefore where does that leave us?

Graduating is never the problem, achieving something meaningful with your life latter is what matters most.
A lot of our graduates are not employable.
This is very appalling in the face of the present day realities.
There is a vast difference between being an academician and being educated.
Therefore, this means that you can have a BSC and still not be educated.
Academics places its focus in your certificates where as being educated drives you to be successful.
But then, you can use your academic ability to power your education.
Therefore, what’s the solution to this problem?
You simply have to think outside the box.
there was an illustration I saw in John C Maxwell’s book titled “The Leader”.
See the illustration below and try to pick excerpts from it.
deadly mistakes undergraduates make
The only way to connect all the circles is by thinking outside the box.
Think of the services you can render to people that can yield income.
Start thinking now and when you have one but you can’t power it, we have a charger right here.
We can help you with ideas that will bring your idea to fruition.

Thinking That There Is Still Time
Like I said at the beginning of the deadly mistakes undergraduates make, I knew my life started immediately I got admitted to school.
I began to think for myself.
One must work with time and not against it.
The good thing about time is that it is free but priceless. You can’t own it but you can use it.
Moreover, you can’t keep it but you can spend it.
Finally and most importantly, once you’ve lost it, you can never get it back.
There are a lot of people who spend their time carelessly and by the time they realize it, they had wasted reasonable amount of years doing nothing.
Whether you agree or not, the people making the real cash today are those not using their certificates.
It is more advantageous to start making money now.

START THINKING.
Zero Thinking
There are so many people who really want to make or start making money.
But the problem is that they have nothing to offer.
Money does not fall from the sky.
You must, therefore, have something that people will pay for.
The good part is that it is never too late to start now.
If you don’t have one now, start thinking of what you can do to start making money now.
While thinking about this, make sure it is something that adds value to people’s life or makes life easy for them.
The better you are able to think, the bigger the cash you will make.

Not Reading
Readers they say are leaders.
Likewise, it is often said that if you want to hide anything from a black man, hide it in a book.
The Worst deadly mistake undergraduates make is not setting up time for self-development.
If you wish to achieve worthwhile things in your personal and career life, you must become a worthwhile person in your own self-development.
Everyone has free time, therefore use it for self-development.
How do you achieve this?. Simple.
Spend your money buying self-development books as well as spending your precious time reading them.
In addendum to this, are the list of things that will speed up your personal growth, therefore, apply them.
Don’t follow the crowd, follow your own way and do what you love.
Don’t only learn from success stories, learn from failure stories too.
Act like you are confident and can handle everything. Fake it until you make it.
Be a better listener and meet new people
Choose your vision and dream. Success will start pursuing you.
To learn something new, teach others how to do it.
Love yourself and take care of your health
Be curious and ask questions at all times.

Conclusion
Remember that the moment you accept total responsibility for everything in your life is the moment you claim the power to change anything in your life.
Therefore, be yourself because everyone else is taken.
That’s the much I can take on the topic 7 deadly mistakes undergraduates make and how to avoid them.
What’s your take on this? Please let us know in the comment box.
Thanks For reading.

Source:https://allskulnews..com.ng/2018/02/7-deadly-mistakes-undergraduates-make.html
Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by greatnaija01: 6:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
Chai
ARE YOU EVEN A GRADUATE?
HOW COME YOUR WRITE UP IS SO CONGESTED LIKE A CONFUSION?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS CALLED "editing"?

pls adjust your clumsy congested post if you want anyone to click your link

3 Likes

Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by Stephaustin(m): 9:13pm On Feb 21, 2018
greatnaija01:
Chai ARE YOU EVEN A GRADUATE? HOW COME YOUR WRITE UP IS SO CONGESTED LIKE A CONFUSION?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS CALLED "editing"?
pls adjust your clumsy congested post if you want anyone to click your link
I was about saying this. I couldn't read the write-up.
Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by mozele(m): 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
Stephaustin:

I was about saying this.
I couldn't read the write-up.

but i read and understood what he wrote up there. The end of it all is that his message was understood and communication had equally taken place.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by EbukaHades10(m): 1:28am On Feb 22, 2018
Where's number 1?. Where's number 7?.
Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by constance500: 11:19am On Feb 22, 2018
Someone to sum up the epistle abeg
Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by chingle5(m): 12:20pm On Feb 22, 2018
OP what is wrong with Ya Brain
Re: 7 Deadly Mistakes Undergraduates Make And How To Avoid It by churchee: 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2018
Too long and congested I can't discern.

(1) (Reply)

Universities In Northern Cyprus ‘illegal’ – Ambassador (University World News) / Enugu State Scholarships 2018/2019 / Join This Whatsapp Tv. For Hillarious Memes�,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.