Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck (16562 Views)

Defiant Driver Gets Stuck Inside galadimawa Flood After Ignoring Advise In abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by Ochima75(m): 11:09am On Feb 22, 2018
Ochima75:
Here i yam thinking wat PIT manuever means

Now i knw wat it means grin
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by babatee1985(m): 11:26am On Feb 22, 2018
He should have simply switched off the engine and that's all
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by micseyi(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2018
jmichael259:

if fuel finish and engine off steering no dey lock! Shut down engine and locking ignition are different things. Check your Key hole you will see it is marked likely LOCK>OFF>ON>ACC>START.
It requires a very cool head under such pressure to do this delicately and succesfuly without locking his steering. Most cars could have gone into neutral by the way and allow to slowly come to a stop.

Noted. tnks
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by egobetatoday: 12:05pm On Feb 22, 2018
Emily22:
In naija...of diz happen

Vanguard and punch

A driver crashed into asaba market .Report confirmed 22 dead and 56 injured .

Some mumu nairalanders b like

--- buhari must go
--- back to daura

I wonder how e take relate

so u mean a president cannot create agencies to handle emergencies? what is NEMA even doing? I'm amazed at how some nigerians expect very little from their president. Na una sabi.
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by Vannlex(m): 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2018
Emily22:
In naija...of diz happen
Vanguard and punch
A driver crashed into asaba market .Report confirmed 22 dead and 56 injured .
Some mumu nairalanders b like
--- buhari must go --- back to daura
I wonder how e take relate
i dey tell you.....chai!!

1 Like

Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by arnold123: 1:53pm On Feb 22, 2018
obafemee80:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8KN5sJtnE

A Florida driver driving a 2003 BMW X5 rode nearly 50 miles last week Monday at speeds over 100 mph after his gas pedal got stuck, at which point he told police.

WSVN gained access to the 911 call and on it, Joseph Cooper can be heard telling dispatchers he needed traffic assistance on the highway as his SUV reached speeds of 100 mph (160 km/h).

I think my gas pedal is stuck on my car, and I’m on I-95,” Cooper said in the 911 call. He could be heard yelling, “Get out of the way!” to other drivers as his car barreled north.

Cooper, 28, stayed on the phone, keeping dispatchers updated with each mile marker he passed. Eventually, troopers were able to get ahead of him and clear traffic on the road.

You have no idea why it could be stuck?” the dispatcher asked. “No ma’am, I do not,” Cooper responded.

Are you able to get your vehicle in neutral?” the dispatcher asked. Cooper replied, “No.”

The dispatcher asked if he tried the emergency brakes, to which Cooper responded, “Madam, I’m not going to do that at 100mph, I’m sorry.”

Troopers had to throw three stop sticks to deflate the SUV’s tires. Once Cooper’s car was running on its rims, FHP used a PIT maneuver to bring the vehicle to a stop.

Cooper was later taken to the hospital with chest pains.

Source https://autojosh.com/watchdriver-calls-911-going-100mph-bmw-x5-throttle-gets-stuck/

Cc
Lalasticlala Mynd44

fake story, all you have to do is turn the key off innit! No need for all dem shayt (i nor dey click any link o)
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by ogbiwa: 2:16pm On Feb 22, 2018
This was a bit scary to read as I was imagining the scenario. I'm also impressed with the dispatcher who was calm and helpful. Then the highway patrol. MVPs all round. They all collectively joined to save countless lives. In some other countries
1. Emergency services are almost non existent
2. In the event that you reach them, the dispatcher would ask you to hold while she tries to see if any field team are available, could take minutes to hours. She'll most likely query you as to why you were careless enough to get your pedal stuck and shift all blame for any likely disaster to you in advance, like that's what you needed to hear at that moment.
3. Field team would probably be sleeping, won't have fuel, or just pissed or even scared to act. Long and short is that you're simply left on your own to crash. You'll definitely be arrested after crashing though.

1 Like

Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by saltoftheearth: 3:15pm On Feb 22, 2018
Must everything be argued with an insult? Mr know everytin. Cars were made for man and not man for cars. Who says accident is inevitable? not if he switches off when the road is straight without a bend in sight, reducing speed by doing so.and he can start it again if the car is approaching a bend until he gradually comes to a stop.
micseyi:

Shattap....its obvious u dont know anytin...Switching off the car means Locking the steering and @dat speed, accident is inevitable
Re: Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck by kingreign(m): 9:01am On Feb 24, 2018
tomtos88:

Kingreign come and see something

Na so I see am o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Lexus IS 250 A Good Buy? / Hyperloop Releases New Images :how Would You Like To Travel At 1200 Km/h / Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Number Location

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.