Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,896 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

"Molue": Will You Miss It? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Molue": Will You Miss It? (20787 Views)

These Pictures Will Make You Miss Owerri / 3 Men Spotted Pushing Lagos Blue Light Train In Marina Like Molue - Photos / Lagos State Government Shares Throwback On Molue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Molue": Will You Miss It? by AutoJoshNG: 3:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
“Molues” were the kings of Lagos roads.

These typically rickety motorized contraptions are built from a Mercedes or Bedford lorry-head.

When in motion –they sometimes give an impression that their tyres and the steering wheel are not in unity.

Sometimes, patronizing Molues is a necessary inconvenience.

The only edge these uniquely designed mammy-wagons commanded over other modes of transportation was its affordability. For a pittance, a passenger could be transported to a distant location within Lagos.

Riding in Molues is always an adventure. As soon as one is inside, drama is never in short supply.

The ability to embark and to disembark from a Molue is a special art form. The doors are not necessarily the only point of entrance. The windows come in handy too.

A ride in a Molue offers not a few side attractions. For instance, it offers a substantial dose of aggravations, entertainment, commercial activities; pocket-picking opportunities, sexual harassments, etc.

The passengers in a Molue is often an odd mismatched assortment of people. The typical ratio is “49 seating and 99 standing”. Some of the passengers can easily pass for escapees from a prison or a psychiatric hospital.

Then there is the combative driver and his conductors. They are the kings here. The Molue is their kingdom. Common courtesy, respect for others and decorum is totally alien to them.

Moreover, to be a Molue driver or conductors, besides driving skills, other credentials required include a husky voice and body odour.

The conductors also enjoy rubbing their sweaty bodies against the bodies of the multitude of standing passengers whenever they wriggle around to collect the fares.

In Molues, it is almost customary for a journey to begin with a prayer or religious session. One of the passengers usually conducts this. When done, the same passenger, or another, would later proceed to advertise some pharmaceutical or herbal concoction.
These products are typically sold with a claim to potency for all manner of sicknesses and diseases - from the common cold to Cancer and HIV! Bizarrely, too, some of the products boast of a NAFDAC endorsement.

Indeed, there is never a dull moment in this theatre of the absurd.

Today, this legend of the Lagos roads gradually fades into extinction.

However, we cannot help but admit the entertainment riding in Molues brought to the lives of commuters in Lagos.

Nevertheless, the iconic Molue is one experience that we will all love to miss.

Or will you miss the legendary Lagos Molues?

https://autojosh.com/dear-molues-will-happy-miss/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by AutoJoshNG: 3:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
More

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by moscobabs(m): 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
Nobody can take molue out of lagos o, we cant do without it.

-The big bus is for smartest people in Lagos , u can go in with #100 and come down with #500 ...no need to pick pocket o but u can collect some of the co passenger's fare together and not remit it to the conductor especially from Kola to Oshodi .

- You can refuse to pay the conductor and still slap him if he talks too much.

- Molue where kids dont have respect for elders, small pikins go sitdon and old man go dey on standing.

- Molue where driver will be driving half unclad

- Molue where number of passengers on standing triple the number of the sitting while those hanging is equal to sittings

- Molue where fats people go dey tell the slim ones to shift properly

- Molue where slayqeens and slaykings will be calling their lovers that they are in uber even with the noise

- Molue where one medicine can cure all sicknesses/diseases

- Molue where fake people will be making fake calls to spirit that ''I'm in a public bus'' just to woo a lady

- molue where u will know the level of some men in suits (imagine almost 20 men wearing suits in the heat)

- Molue where there is no rich or the poor everybody is equal , if u want respect go carry uber !!

- The molue smell is bae grin grin

Molue is Lagos legend grin grin grin grin grin

148 Likes 13 Shares

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Sunofgod(m): 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
Those buses lacked horse power,

would always lean to one side,

and always one useless passenger would release a stinky rotten fart!

I won't miss them at all.

40 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by mema900: 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
Watch the guy above me....he is using black magic to comment grin

Meanwhile....the best multiplayer Android game is on its way http://chatwhot.com

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Papiikush: 3:28pm On Feb 22, 2018
I have never entered molue in my life... We were taught to always take taxi and when I grew up, I got used to it...Now adays we do Uber whenever we don't wanna drive.

I ain't got no time to be sitting in a bus with smelly people with no AC Mehn. Like how do you all deal with the polluted air and fumes everywhere in the bus?

#LifeOfALagosBigBoy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Gangster1ms: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
Never
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by constance500: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
It's a part of 9ja lifestyle.. Will be missed grin

7 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by naptu2: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
Too Low For Zero - Molue (Lagos City transport) (1986).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNb8qQAsddw

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Odingo1: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
How will transportation be like in lagos without molue shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by oloriadejoke(f): 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2018
lolzz I will surely miss the action film that happens all the time inside molue,like different types of fart odour,body odour,some go toast u sef,fighting,conductor wahala(joining of 3 to 4 peoples together becos u wan collect ur change),and the most crazy part that always happened all the time...that moment the driver press break and everybody wey dey standing section just glue together most guys enjoyed that part and to crown it all u go don't dey shout your bustop name and hitting the molue 3bustops away b4 u reach your bustop...hmmmm Lagos na real wa.

7 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Bonaventura(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
Once lost my wallet in one of them. Didn't know how to explain when I had to pay. The experience was harrowing.

2 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Eazi1(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
Sunofgod:
ok
space booker....mr ok, i hail oo
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Yankee101: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
Safety first. Then better pricing
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by LEOVOLUTION(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
I would, really i would.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Christane: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
this pic jst show d high level of poverty in nigeria ..

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Kumashi2: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
Forever and ever....
It helped those days.....
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by OnyeOGA(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018
There was a country
grin
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by LAFO: 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2018

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Godson201333(m): 3:31pm On Feb 22, 2018
Yes im already missing and would like to go on an adventure with one, anytime i visit next real soon.I was asking my Dad recently about molue and he regarded them as Coffin lol...Its part of a Lagosian Identity.

4 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
I can't miss negative things gone with my past.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by mayskit4luv(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
grin
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Paperwhite(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
grin grin grin cheesy I'll not miss molue as transportation have been more redefined over the years but it was real fun while they lasted.
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Lilimax(f): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
I never gbadun that means of transportation for one day smiley
Either your cloth is torn, you'll sustain an injury or you may be pick-pocketed while trying to catch up with the bus shocked
I will never miss it...!

6 Likes

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2018
cheesy
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Koolking(m): 3:33pm On Feb 22, 2018
If you are never a passenger or knew molue, you are new in Lagos and you have no story to tell about Lagos

Molue: The face of Lagos and the life saver of hustlers and job hunters (it helped move from one spot to the other without and or with little money)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by samyyoung1(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
I wld miss d molue

From iyana ipaja down to oshodi, den anoda to yaba, dats how I shuttled myself around 2002 to yabatech, I would wait by d door till I hear 'standing' which was way cheaper Dan sitting.

Now when am driving to work and I see d molue, I just laugh n I pray for those entering to stop just like me.

Molue, d experience is compared to non

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Stevengerd(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
For those that havent seen molue or entered one b4, kindly go to oshodi or Iyana Ipaja.

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by hezy4real01(m): 3:34pm On Feb 22, 2018
Most people won't miss them, because the generation didn't experience much of them.... all this early and late 90s children lol

1 Like

Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by wittyt98(m): 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2018
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by Abdulazeez007(m): 3:35pm On Feb 22, 2018
Otipe gaan
Re: "Molue": Will You Miss It? by chukzyfcbb: 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2018
Change is constant.
Good riddance to bad rubbish!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dv Lottery Final Interview At Embassy / Four Die In Motor Accident Along Kaduna-Abuja Road / 3 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.