Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

Much Ado About Election Reordering - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Much Ado About Election Reordering (7827 Views)

Femi Taiwo Responds To Reno Omokri's Allegation About Election Results Server / Senate Suspends Senator Ovie Omo-Agege For 90 Days Over Election Reordering / Election Reordering: Senators Commence Moves To Override President Buhari's Veto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by walex2(m): 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2018
verygudbadguy:

While i appreciate their sagacity and fight-back plan,i think it is not a well-thought plan. Majority of the senators and honourables would be sidelined even before the election. Saraki and a few others who have the support of their state chairmen would benefit from this plan while the ones with no support would suffer. For instance, Dino Melaye, Kwankaso, Shehu Sani do not have the support of the State Chairman, State governor, how do they intend to get the party ticket.

But for us, the populace, it is a good one for our democracy to thrive. We don't want power too in one arm of the government at the detriment of the others. We also don't want any form of unity among the 3 arms so that one can also checkmate the others.

But someone like Kwankaso can contest under any platform and still win the election. since the presidential and national assembly election is now differentiated

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by walex2(m): 1:38pm On Feb 23, 2018
progress69:
By Law, senate has no right interfering with the election time table.
INEC is an independent body, senate trying to reorder elections time table is unconstitutional and undermines INEC as an independent body.
Its is unconstitutional and will not stand.

INEC is independent you said? but they have to sought the approval of the Senate to use the card reader.

INEC chairman said i quote him " If the President sign the new bill of time table sequence into law, we dont have any option than to abide with it"

meanwhile if the bill is not signed it may be vetoed by the 2/3 majority of the national assembly

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by Ratello: 1:52pm On Feb 23, 2018
progress69:
INEC is an independent body, senate trying to reorder elections time table is unconstitutional and undermines INEC as an independent body.

Wrong notion bro! You must understand that the Acts that created INEC was accented to by the Senate so the Senate played an important role in the emergence of INEC and let me also remind you that the Senate represents the masses in a logical sense while INEC works for us the people. If by any reasons the masses are complaining bitterly about the way INEC is operating then the Senate (based on petitions scooped from the people they represent) have the power to put things straight in the operations of the INEC so as to appear fair and not biased in the way they conduct elections. The Senate did not change the dates of election which still makes INEC independent but only rearrange the sequence of election dates so as to prevent future disagreements.

2 Likes

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by verygudbadguy(m): 1:52pm On Feb 23, 2018
walex2:

But someone like Kwankaso can contest under any platform and still win the election. since the presidential and national assembly election is now differentiated
True though.

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by unbitchable(m): 1:54pm On Feb 23, 2018
All for self interest
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by progress69: 2:37pm On Feb 23, 2018
walex2:

INEC is independent you said? but they have to sought the approval of the Senate to use the card reader.

INEC chairman said i quote him " If the President sign the new bill of time table sequence into law, we dont have any option than to abide with it"

meanwhile if the bill is not signed it may be vetoed by the 2/3 majority of the national assembly

Lol...
The kind of points u guys use to argue is always funny.
Card reader was alien to the constitution and needed the senate for it to be put into the electoral act.
If today we are to start using a computer based system of voting, that will also need the approval of the senate.
However, the sequence or timetable of the elections is to be determined by the authority empowered to do that constitutionally. It is like the senate telling the CBN how to run its business.
Stop making noise about 2/3 veto like u are a kid in Nigerian politics.

2 Likes

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by progress69: 3:05pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ratello:

Wrong notion bro! You must understand that the Acts that created INEC was accented to by the Senate so the Senate played an important role in the emergence of INEC and let me also remind you that the Senate represents the masses in a logical sense while INEC works for us the people. If by any reasons the masses are complaining bitterly about the way INEC is operating then the Senate (based on petitions scooped from the people they represent) have the power to put things straight in the operations of the INEC so as to appear fair and not biased in the way they conduct elections. The Senate did not change the dates of election which still makes INEC independent but only rearrange the sequence of election dates so as to prevent future disagreements.
Lol.
So the senate can also interfere with the affairs of CBN based on ur notion. The constitution and the electoral act solely grants INEC the authority to determine date, and sequence of the elections. If that has to be changed then the electoral act as to be changed and accented to by the president or vetoed by the senate.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by maasoap(m): 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2018
Anikulhapo:
This present National Assembly is still the best ever, Buhari cannot force anybody to support his failed government
Buhari victory is almost certain. They just wanted Buhari to help them winning their own election first. Have you seen Buhari or anyone from the presidency react to this development? No. I only laugh whenever I see people like you thinking that this reordering actually targeted Buhari. It only protect the lawmakers in the sense that they believe that whatever affects them during their own election day will affect Buhari a week later.
Let me quote from the report itself:
The fear of the legislators is that if they successfully work for the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari, it may boomerang on them as the President and his hatchet men may turn the tide against them and ensure that they are not re-elected.
People like you actually think that lawmakers are doing you favour or hurting Buhari. Lol.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by maasoap(m): 3:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ratello:

You knew that part actually revealed that you are trying to be clever by half? INEC goes to court, the NA will be told that they have trespassed.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by OfficialAwol(m): 3:35pm On Feb 23, 2018
san316:
But is it a constitutional matter for an election to be ordered in a particular manner or the umpire has the exclusive reserve to decide how the elections should go? All the OP has explained are politics and not constitution hence has no bearing on what ought to be done.

Let INEC decide what they want to do and the legislators should face their jobs.

You can see how fast they were able to pass bills that favor their selfish aspirations and delay those that affect the masses they are representing

Who made the constitution?

Why wasn't there this fuss in 2010 when the electoral act was amended?

Why the equivocation?
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by Rebelutionary: 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2018
Ratello:
This is the type of discussion I like, it shows we still have brilliant minded ones amidst us. The reordering of the elections is a master stroke on the part of the Senate and they deserve to be commended for that. It is a move to checkmate a desperate President or Governor who is hellbent to perpetuate himself in power against the wishes of the masses or the electorates. Let's view it this way, if the Presidential Elections was to be first conducted, it would enhance a kind of bullying the structures in the States, local governments to work forcefully for the President emergence against all odds especially within its party framework with the belief that the other contestants (Senate and House of Reps alongside the State House of Assembly) can be massively rigged into power going by the turn out of the party Presidential representative at the polls which is nothing but pure fraud. On the contrary, if the Presidential or Governorship elections come last it is likely that automatic securing of the seat by the President or Governor is not guaranteed because it will be more glaring that the structures in the State and local governments that were hitherto supposed to work for him may not be in unison because of the uncertainty that awaits them in their yet to be conducted elections. I think the reordering of elections should be fully embraced
I concur 100% that everyone should be elected/reflected based on their past records/cureent sterling performance but this whole reordering thing by the senate is nothing new and the Houses overstepped themselves by putting the cart before the horse and unfortunately no matter how we feel about this I don't see this seeing the light of day going by legal precedence on this subject!

This is what is going to happen; the president will withhold assent, the House will call his bluff by passing into law, the FG will go to court and you know what...hmm...the supreme will affirm that ONLY INEC is empowered by law to fix dates and schedule for elections! This is the unfortunate end of the matter.

That was why I don't see the excitement in this whole house election reordering thing; We've been down this road before!

Except the house tweak the electoral act and take such powers away from INEC at this moment, as it was, so its going to be!

Read this; https://www.onlinenigeria.com/news/latestnews/19309-national-assembly-lacks-power-to-fix-election-dates.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1835755959
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by OGHENAOGIE(m): 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2018
Max24:
A performing President or party will not be bothered about the order of elections. Political scientists have always argued for a bottom- up democràcy. The smaller elections ought to come first and end with the biggest which is the Presidential. The grassroots should dwtermine the centre and not the other way round.
abi we take elections to be war...in America they have midterms elections for legislators.... It's high time we scrutinized evry politicians from top to bottom they shd earn their place but religion and ethnicity always colour our eyes

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by san316(m): 6:01pm On Feb 23, 2018
OfficialAwol:

Who made the constitution?

Why wasn't there this fuss in 2010 when the electoral act was amended?

Why the equivocation?

what I just want to find out whether the constitution clearly spells out the order of general elections or gives a particular body the reserve to decide.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by Kingspin(m): 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2018
This is why when I heard profession Jaga statement recent I perceived he maybe part of the problem. Even before reading this article some of us know the implementation of having presidential election first which is why I support the law makers decision. It may not solved the entire problem but clear some election issues.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:01pm On Feb 23, 2018
san316:
But is it a constitutional matter for an election to be ordered in a particular manner or the umpire has the exclusive reserve to decide how the elections should go? All the OP has explained are politics and not constitution hence has no bearing on what ought to be done.

Let INEC decide what they want to do and the legislators should face their jobs.

You can see how fast they were able to pass bills that favor their selfish aspirations and delay those that affect the masses they are representing
have you seen any human that feeds others before his family
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by kabarka(m): 8:20pm On Feb 23, 2018
rxmusa:
No matter what! Patriotic Nigerians are solidly behind President Muhammadu Buhari
Here is not America.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by freeze001(f): 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
progress69:
INEC is an independent body, senate trying to reorder elections time table or sequence is unconstitutional and undermines INEC as an independent body.

INEC is bound by the Electoral Act. The Act stipulates the sequence of elections. INEC is a creation of statute. The NASS by the Constitution is the maker of statutes including the Electoral Act by which the INEC must abide. The NASS has exercised its constitutional mandate of making and amending laws. The amendment includes the sequence of elections. INEC has no choice and is so bound.

It is not INEC or any other electoral body that enacted the current election sequence. The same institution of the NASS enacted the sequence used in previous years and reserves the right to turn it around provided it is supported by the majority. It has exercised this right and there should be no drama.

1 Like

Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by freeze001(f): 8:39pm On Feb 23, 2018
progress69:

Lol.
So the senate can also interfere with the affairs of CBN based on ur notion. The constitution and the electoral act solely grants INEC the authority to determine date, and sequence of the elections. If that has to be changed then the electoral act as to be changed and accented to by the president or vetoed by the senate.

Exactly what has happened! The sequence has to change and it is only the NASS that can change it and not INEC! INEC did not author the sequence in the first place, the Electoral Act did as enacted by the NASS. It is left for the president to assent or the NASS to veto as the case may be.

NB! The INEC has power only to determine the date and not the sequence.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by OfficialAwol(m): 5:19am On Feb 24, 2018
Even if the constitution gives a particular body (INEC) the reserve to decide the order of elections, the National Assembly has right to alter both that reserve, and the order of elections.

Or don't they?
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by OfficialAwol(m): 5:21am On Feb 24, 2018
san316:

what I just want to find out whether the constitution clearly spells out the order of general elections or gives a particular body the reserve to decide.

Even if the constitution gives a particular body (INEC) the reserve to decide the order of elections, the National Assembly has right to alter both that reserve, and the order of elections.

Or don't they?
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by san316(m): 9:32am On Feb 24, 2018
OfficialAwol:

Or don't they?
INEC is under the executive arm of government and not the legislative. The senate has powers to approve their activities and not impose it on them. The constitution gives INEC the powers to decide on how to structure an election without interference. Hence, the senate cannot dictate to them how to go about their jobs. That is my take
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by OfficialAwol(m): 10:46am On Feb 24, 2018
san316:

INEC is under the executive arm of government and not the legislative. The senate has powers to approve their activities and not impose it on them. The constitution gives INEC the powers to decide on how to structure an election without interference. Hence, the senate cannot dictate to them how to go about their jobs. That is my take

Lol.

Such a funny character you are...

You are arguing for the independence of INEC, yet you assert that the same INEC is under the executive. if so, where is it's independence?

And be reminded that the NASS is not ordering INEC, but only making a law. As long as Nigerian law is concerned, there is no "no-go" area when the NASS is involved. They can make laws even for spoon.

Stop exposing your daftness
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by san316(m): 11:59am On Feb 24, 2018
OfficialAwol:

Lol.

Such a funny character you are...

You are arguing for the independence of INEC, yet you assert that the same INEC is under the executive. if so, where is it's independence?

And be reminded that the NASS is not ordering INEC, but only making a law. As long as Nigerian law is concerned, there is no "no-go" area when the NASS is involved. They can make laws even for spoon.

Stop exposing my daftness

You are the daft person here if you do not know that INEC is statutorily an independent umpire and the NASS cannot go about making arbitrarily self serving laws to armtwist it in carrying out its duties. I'm done with nitwits on this thread. Don't quote me again.

Peace out
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by writeprof(m): 2:21pm On Feb 24, 2018
eleojo23:
The reordering dealt a big blow to their plans to manipulate the election.

It's a master stroke from the national assembly.

Everyone must earn his votes.

Yes, it is a good idea. But we must not forget that the members of the NASS are not doing it out of love for NIGERIANS but for THEMSELVES. Anyway, I hope it stands and remains permanent.
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by herraph: 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2018
rxmusa:
No matter what! Patriotic Nigerians are solidly behind President Muhammadu Buhari

You forgot what the North did against GEJ abi
Re: Much Ado About Election Reordering by walex2(m): 12:37pm On Mar 05, 2018
progress69:

Lol...
The kind of points u guys use to argue is always funny.
Card reader was alien to the constitution and needed the senate for it to be put into the electoral act.
If today we are to start using a computer based system of voting, that will also need the approval of the senate.
However, the sequence or timetable of the elections is to be determined by the authority empowered to do that constitutionally. It is like the senate telling the CBN how to run its business.
Stop making noise about 2/3 veto like u are a kid in Nigerian politics.

your arguement is baseless and you result to abuse. is like you are not well

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don’t Lose Hope Of A Greater Nigeria - Buhari 'Easter Message' / Army Commends Ugwuanyi For Training Traffic Personnel On Discipline / Kaiciid Fellows Nigeria Speak On The Consequences Of Hate Speech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.