Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? (18081 Views)

Is There Anything Like Generational Curse? / How Do We Identify A Righteous Person? / A True Jesus' Disciple Is Better Than A Righteous Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

your false accusation doesn't surprise

lying lips are abomination to the lord certinally does equals thou shalt not lie

is as truthful as can be, it doesn't surprise me you can't see it

Yeah bro, now I see the ten commandment are written in the book of proverbs
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 2:26pm On Feb 26, 2018
^^^ blind as a bat
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 2:27pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Olaadegbu asserted in the OP that "lying" is prohibited in the "10 commandments"

he was right, lying is prohibited in the 10 commandments:

Exo_20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

^^^ you must think that's not lying
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

he was right, lying is prohibited in the 10 commandments:
Exo_20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
^^^ you must think that's not lying
ARRRGGHHH!!! okay wink
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 2:43pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

"Bearing false witness" is, simply put, a type of lie but one can easily lie without bearing false witness

see once again, the OP was right, lying is prohibited in the 10 commandments,
because it's a certain type of lie doesn't alter that fact
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2018
lying in general isn't mentioned in the 10 commandments
is that what you meant? smiley
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

see once again, the OP was right, lying is prohibited in the 10 commandments,
because it's a certain type of lie doesn't alter that fact

exactly! FG banning Hockey for instance means they banned sports

because Hockey is a type of sport doesn't alter that fact
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2018
Emmanystone:

And go to where?

Come to Satan.
Come and gain some wisdom.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 2:59pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

no you are getting even more confused now, those childish riddles

false witness which is lying is banned, false witness is banned, lying is banned

but hockey isn't all sports, so not all sports are banned, just hockey
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

false witness which is lying is banned, false witness is banned, lying is banned

Honestly, I'm surprised this is proving too hard for you to grasp

My Girlfriend asks me "HopefulLandlord, have you eaten today?" I replied "No! Amy" even though I've actually eaten and I infact just ate an hour before she asked me the question

Johnw74, Is what I just did called lying? Yes/No

Is what I just did "bearing False witness/testimony" against my neighbor? Yes/No?
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 3:15pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Honestly, I'm surprised this is proving too hard for you to grasp

My Girlfriend asks me "HopefulLandlord, have you eaten today?" I replied "No! Amy" even though I've actually eaten and I infact just ate an hour before she asked me the question

Johnw74, Is what I just did called lying? Yes/No

Is what I just did "bearing False witness/testimony" against my neighbor? Yes/No?

ha ha, your the one struggling
how does your riddle disprove the OP being right about the 10 commandments prohibiting lying
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

there are many types of lies but they are all lies

there are many types of sports but they are not all hockey
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2018
you are to slow see you tomorrow
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

ha ha, your the one struggling
how does your riddle disprove the OP being right about the 10 commandments prohibiting lying

You dodged answering the question

Did I lie? Yes/No?

Did I bear false witness against my neighbour? Yes/No?
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 3:32pm On Feb 26, 2018
johnw74:

Lmao! I'm sure the intelligent readers can see the slow one between us. Hint: its not me

I have a unique "talent" of knowing when someone is defeated in a discussion but ego is getting in the way of the person admitting it

My point has been the same from the get go, anyone that thinks I've shifted in any way can simply check my posts here, I've been consistent from the beginning till now

You on the other hand has shifted here and there from

1. Quoting proverbs when we are asking for 10 commandments

when that was shown to be invalid by my sarcastic remark after seriously telling you its not germane you shifted to

2. "because it's a certain type of lie doesn't alter that fact"

This right here is where you actually admitted Seun and I are right and OP is wrong but you doubled down when I used the Hockey-Sport analogy which prompted me to bring up the imaginary scenario between me and my girlfriend and you're now refusing to answer, Why? because you have no more space to manoeuvre. I'm simply doing your intellect a huge favour in thinking by indulging you till now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by ReinaFarine: 6:56pm On Feb 26, 2018
I think the point hopefullandlord, Seun and others are tryna make is like a set Venn diagram. The universal set is lie and false witness is a subset of Lie. True.

But lies are a funny thing y'know. Bearing false witness against yourself is still false witness. Tell your girl you didn't eat, that is a false witness against yourself. And so yes, you lied, yes you bore false witness.

Rahab bore false witness. She said she didn't know where they are but they were in her house. She knew. That witness or evidence was false.

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by hopefulLandlord: 7:25pm On Feb 26, 2018
ReinaFarine:
I think the point hopefullandlord, S.eun and others are tryna make is like a set Venn diagram. The universal set is lie and false witness is a subset of Lie. True.

But lies are a funny thing y'know. Bearing false witness against yourself is still false witness. Tell your girl you didn't eat, that is a false witness against yourself. And so yes, you lied, yes you bore false witness.

I think this is a fair point. However I must point out that even if I agree that what I hypothetically did is bearing false witness against myself, it still doesn't go against the 10 commandments as I didn't bear false witness against "My Neighbour" which exactly proves my point that not all lies are false witness against your neighbour. Saying all lies are false witness against one's neighbour is akin to saying all sports are Hockey and I like your illustration with the Venn diagram wink
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 10:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

You dodged answering the question

Did I lie? Yes/No?

Did I bear false witness against my neighbour? Yes/No?

false accuser, i dodged nothing, my position is not about there being a diffrence between lying to your neighbour and general lying
my position is that lying is prohibited in the 10 commandments

you should go back and read my posts and your comments that i posted on
because you are so confused, posting about things in your head instead of things that i said
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 11:29pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Lmao! I'm sure the intelligent readers can see the slow one between us. Hint: its not me

you are concerned with how the reader sees you, smile

hopefulLandlord:
I have a unique "talent" of knowing when someone is defeated in a discussion but ego is getting in the way of the person admitting it

you have a unique talent, ha ha

hopefulLandlord:
My point has been the same from the get go, anyone that thinks I've shifted in any way can simply check my posts here, I've been consistent from the beginning till now

You on the other hand has shifted here and there from

1. Quoting proverbs when we are asking for 10 commandments

yes the proverbs quote shows that thou shalt not lie, you hopeful should obey it:

Pro_12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD:

hopefulLandlord:
when that was shown to be invalid by my sarcastic remark after seriously telling you its not germane you shifted to

2. "because it's a certain type of lie doesn't alter that fact"

yes it's true, being a certain type of lie doesn't alter the fact that it is a lie, duh

hopefulLandlord:
This right here is where you actually admitted Seun and I are right and OP is wrong but you doubled down when I used the Hockey-Sport analogy which prompted me to bring up the imaginary scenario between me and my girlfriend and you're now refusing to answer, Why? because you have no more space to manoeuvre.

ha ha, how confused you are, or is it just straight out lying,
a mixture i say

hopefulLandlord:
I'm simply doing your intellect a huge favour in thinking by indulging you till now

okay good to hear you are going to start being intelligent from now, lets hear it
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 11:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I think this is a fair point. However I must point out that even if I agree that what I hypothetically did is bearing false witness against myself, it still doesn't go against the 10 commandments as I didn't bear false witness against "My Neighbour" which exactly proves my point that not all lies are false witness against your neighbour

who has said that all lies are false witness against your neighbour, you are so mixed up

hopefulLandlord:
Saying all lies are false witness against one's neighbour is akin to saying all sports are Hockey and I like your illustration with the Venn diagram wink

i'm glad you now agree with me that all sports are not hockey

johnw74:

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 12:47am On Feb 27, 2018
hopeful,
you are an atheist, you don't believe in God, but your main aim here at the forums is to argue over God's word, funny
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 12:48am On Feb 27, 2018
johnw74:

hopefulLandlord:

where are you oh slow one
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by johnw74: 1:20am On Feb 27, 2018
Christian threads on God's word are visited by atheists who of course don't believe in God yet argue over His word smiley
what did God inspire King David to write about them:

Psa 53:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.

Psa 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2018
profolaolu:

Rehab was commended not because she lied but because she hide the spies and sent them away,that is why she was justify by work not by the word of her mouth or confession

Good job. God bless you. smiley
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by Seun(m): 12:25pm On Feb 28, 2018
Emmanystone:

Hmmm. This man is speaking like a demon.
Really? I’ve never spoken to demons before so I wouldn’t know. Tell us about some of the conversations that you’ve had with the demons.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by Emmanystone: 12:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Seun:

Really? I’ve never spoken to demons before so I wouldn’t know. Tell us about some of the conversations that you’ve had with the demons.
Yes, you have. They speak through you.

Satan said to Jesus, 'if you are the son of God, change this stones to bread then i will believe you'. You say, 'if God exists, let Him come down in person and stand before me, then i will believe He exists'. That is satans words in your mouth sir. Always wanting to coarse allegiance.

Funny thing is, even God stands before you, you'd say He is not God. Hahahahahahahaha.

Gerarahia sir.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by UyiIredia(m): 12:45pm On Feb 28, 2018
Seun:

David Hume reborn in an Ogun man's body. Ogun the deity, was always a practical person. After all, he was the god of iron that worked the machines.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by UyiIredia(m): 12:46pm On Feb 28, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Good job. God bless you. smiley
The rock of Gibraltar. Consistent preacher. And astute Deeper lifer. I salute.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:33pm On Feb 28, 2018
UyiIredia:

The rock of Gibraltar. Consistent preacher. And astute Deeper lifer. I salute.

You are welcome back. How body? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by UyiIredia(m): 1:35pm On Feb 28, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

You are welcome back. How body? cheesy
We thank God.
Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:51pm On Feb 28, 2018
UyiIredia:

We thank God.

Glory be to God! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is There Anything Like "A Righteous Lie"? by Gggg102(m): 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2018
johnw74:

you are getting his point backwards.

lemme put it this way

hockey is a type of sport = false witness is a type of lie

government banned hockey = ten commandments banned false witness

banning hockey does not mean banning all sports since hockey is not all sports = banning false witness does not mean banning all lies since false witness is not all lies.

notice the equivalence are
hockey = false witness
sport = lies

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Who Is The Founder Of Jehovah’s Witnesses Organization / Hell Fire Is NOT Real! Don't Be Deceived By Any Pastors: BIBLE PROOFS INSIDE. / Artificial Insemination By A Single Lady Is Unnatural And A Sin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.