Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,018 members, 7,803,419 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Startup In Nigeria - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Startup In Nigeria (2205 Views)

How Do You Start A Fintech Startup In Nigeria? / How To Find Cofounder For Your Startup In Nigeria / Looking For An Intern - Front-end Developer- To Work With A Startup In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Startup In Nigeria by osarenomaspecial: 11:08am On Feb 24, 2018
Nigeria has great programmers, but there are few big tech companies in the country. The last time I checked the only unicorn company in Africa and in Nigeria is Jumia. The question am asking now is, why are there few startup and big tech companies in Nigeria.

1. due to my own observation most programmers in the country focus on freelancing job and some Into blogging.

2 . lack of funding and investors,I believe why most programmers focus on freelancing job and blogging rather than build a startup is funding. when there is no fund there is no project execution. in some countries there are angel investor, venture capitalist that gives funds to startup. investors in Nigeria are few compared to some countries. if Government can support with funds and with good policy,it will assist Techpreneur.

if you have any contribution, you can contribute.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by Olalekank(m): 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2018
Lack of desire by our fellow Nigerians to use the services.

The way people just probably abandon project because it isn't raking in profit in a few months. Such people should realize that google was just a "search engine" before they took over mobile:android, mail:gmail, adverts, self driving cars:waymo, and many others.

Lack of vision

As you said, most programmers focus on freelancing because that is what would bring the money.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by osarenomaspecial: 5:51pm On Feb 26, 2018
Olalekank:
Lack of desire by our fellow Nigerians to use the services.

The way people just probably abandon project because it isn't raking in profit in a few months. Such people should realize that google was just a "search engine" before they took over mobile:android, mail:gmail, adverts, self driving cars:waymo, and many others.

Lack of vision

As you said, most programmers focus on freelancing because that is what would bring the money.
that's true
Re: Startup In Nigeria by javalady(f): 9:50pm On May 07, 2018
All points are valid.

Some more reasons:

Lack of funds to maintain the startup

Team Incompatibility

Lack of Persistence

Single founder

Poor Investment Management
Re: Startup In Nigeria by osarenomaspecial: 11:15pm On May 07, 2018
javalady:
All points are valid.

Some more reasons:

Lack of funds to maintain the startup

Team Incompatibility

Lack of Persistence

Single founder

Poor Investment Management
correct. do you have any project apart from school project you working on. I am an alumnus of Auchi polytechnic com sc.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by javalady(f): 11:29pm On May 07, 2018
osarenomaspecial:
correct. do you have any project apart from school project you working on. I am an alumnus of Auchi polytechnic com sc.
I've created apps for blogs, created an app for a football prediction site, I'm working on some other apps which I can't give their detail here. Glad to meet an alumnus of my institution. If you don't mind we can connect on whatsapp
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:33pm On May 07, 2018
What about server loss, slow user grow, no investment.

Trust me vision without cash is worthless.

Before you compare us to foreign companies remember Jeff bezos got a 50k dollars investment from his father, bill Gates got his first IBM contract through his mother, Facebook got 500k investment from Peter Thiel.

I ran a small site for about a year and i got attacked by bots, no user growth despite being featured on techpoint. So boss the server cost kept on compiling and adsense wasn't bringing in any revenue, this is something I worked on it every day night constantly maintaining and improving the site but nothing good came out of it. Although I enjoyed some of my very few users feedback but it wasn't to keep the dice rolling.

Now I am completely focused on freelancing and I am sincerely happy with my choice I make money and have rest of mind.

Maybe it was never meant to be, but am happy being a consultant it's profitable.

I wanted quickfinda to be a simple site where you can find all products without wasting time or data, but according to analytics people like wasting time and data.

So only the brave and wealthy can start a company.

Paystack founded by Babcock students.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by osarenomaspecial: 7:10am On May 08, 2018
javalady:
I've created apps for blogs, created an app for a football prediction site, I'm working on some other apps which I can't give their detail here. Glad to meet an alumnus of my institution. If you don't mind we can connect on whatsapp
that's great. sure 09031748393.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by osarenomaspecial: 7:27am On May 08, 2018
olamil34:

Before you compare us to foreign companies remember Jeff bezos got a 50k dollars investment from his father, bill Gates got his first IBM contract through his mother, Facebook got 500k investment from Peter Thiel.

I ran a small site for about a year and i got attacked by bots, no user growth despite being featured on techpoint. So boss the server cost kept on compiling and adsense wasn't bringing in any revenue, this is something I worked on it every day night constantly maintaining and improving the site but nothing good came out of it. Although I enjoyed some of my very few users feedback but it wasn't to keep the dice rolling.

Now I am completely focused on freelancing and I am sincerely happy with my choice I make money and have rest of mind.

Maybe it was never meant to be, but am happy being a consultant it's profitable.

I wanted quickfinda to be a simple site where you can find all products without wasting time or data, but according to analytics people like wasting time and data.

. your idea was great. when no money no business. in Nigeria we have little investors to help grow the biz.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by wane01(m): 8:25am On May 08, 2018
olamil34:

companies abroad most times key into such startups by buying shares or owing some fragments of the company when they sense potential ....
Did you approach any company/financial institutions??
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 9:02am On May 08, 2018
wane01:

companies abroad most times key into such startups by buying shares or owing some fragments of the company when they sense potential ....
Did you approach any company/financial institutions??

Yes I did but my idea wasn't an innovative clone of something that had already existed.

They didn't see a future in it.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by wane01(m): 1:16pm On May 08, 2018
olamil34:

Yes I did but my idea wasn't an innovative clone of something that had already existed .

I find this a bit amusing and also funny
Truth is as a programmer ... ave learnt to build my base around peoples technological weaknesses
Re: Startup In Nigeria by stonemasonn: 6:23pm On May 08, 2018
olamil34:

Yes I did but my idea wasn't an innovative clone of something that had already existed.

Your work was nice, I wish I can do something like that with JavaScript/ node.js.
Did you consider placing adverts on your site to generate some cash?
It will also be nice if you do a how-to video of your work on YouTube....let say 2hrs video breaking it down to about 15minutes each, topic by topic.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:49pm On May 08, 2018
wane01:

I find this a bit amusing and also funny
Truth is as a programmer ... ave learnt to build my base around peoples technological weaknesses

Trust me I followed the same principle, yet it failed me.

pricecheck wasn't as sexy as all the site that existed they were stagnant.

But I built something with a little bit of beauty and simple power.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:51pm On May 08, 2018
stonemasonn:
Your work was nice, I wish I can do something like that with JavaScript/ node.js.
It will also be nice if you do a how-to video of your work on YouTube....let say 2hrs video breaking it down to about 15minutes each, topic by topic.

I did but it came crashing down, must browsers blocked Google adsense.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:52pm On May 08, 2018
A lot of bots tried to scrape my data.

Leaving me with a lot of server debt
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:53pm On May 08, 2018
stonemasonn:

Should I upload the architecture of the crawler.
Re: Startup In Nigeria by wane01(m): 8:14pm On May 10, 2018
olamil34:

Trust me I followed the same principle, yet it failed me.

pricecheck wasn't as sexy as all the site that existed they were stagnant.

But I built something with a little bit of beauty and simple power.
nope ...
You gotta keep trying and also focus on tackling and drafting ideas which people will undoubtedly be dependent upon ..
I saw your quickfinda .. it wasn't the architecture that made it bright buh the idea behind it ..
Try shooting again ...
As for the bots that were disturbing, remember the saying "Revenge is better served when Chilled" grin
Re: Startup In Nigeria by olamil34(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2018
wane01:

nope ...
You gotta keep trying and also focus on tackling and drafting ideas which people will undoubtedly be dependent upon ..
I saw your quickfinda .. it wasn't the architecture that made it bright buh the idea behind it ..
Try shooting again ...
As for the bots that were disturbing, remember the saying "Revenge is better served when Chilled" grin

Thinking of spending on Facebook targeted ads do you think is a good idea
Re: Startup In Nigeria by wane01(m): 6:01am On May 11, 2018
olamil34:

Thinking of spending on Facebook targeted ads do you think is a good idea
I really can't say ... I haven't looked in that direction before buh it might be

(1) (Reply)

Elvis Chidera, Village boy now a Global Programmer / Learn The Fundamental Of Programming Using The Zoom App. / Undergraduate Computer Project Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.