Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,824 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Something To Know About That Bird On The Wire [picscribe] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Something To Know About That Bird On The Wire [picscribe] (410 Views)

The Tale Of The Broken Bird (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Something To Know About That Bird On The Wire [picscribe] by sauta(m): 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2018
My parents got divorced years back without caring how my brother and I felt. Our home which was perfect solace and filled with life and happiness suddenly became dreary. The few months before the divorce paper was enacted was hell. Even the devil would be comfortable in our little nest.

And Yes. I'm a bird.

Dad was rarely home and whenever he was, I and my brother either left to our own nest or stayed in my friend's place. Mom couldn't leave since it was against one of the bird rules and dad never permitted her to have a friend. She had to endure the pain of the constant beakings. That didn't last long anyway. Dad pushed her off the tree and since she was too weak to fly, it resulted in her death.

We weren't allowed to see her body. All we heard from him after her death was that he never wants to set his eyes on us again, And Since he recently got voted in as, well, the most influential bird in the community, he made others push us out. His own children.

My friend certainly wanted to help but i knew her wings were tied. She was threatened many times and there was no one to help, so in a bid to save her the trouble, we left.

I and my brother kept moving from one place to other, in search of a place to call home. We find a place and stayed there for a day or two and then we would move again. Thankfully we had no belonging with us.

Just yesterday, while my brother went in search of food, a motorcyclist had crushed him and had left without looking back. Humans! They don't care if we have families and problems too.

I watched my brother's body lay still. Death's cold hands gripped him so strong and I could take watching him no more so I had to leave. This time, Alone.
I perched on the wire after flying for what seemed like hours. I missed knowing what home was. Home had lost its meaning to me when dad and mum disagreements led to fights. When going home from school felt like going back to hell. When our happy and complete family crumbled. When the divorce thingy seemed to be the only solution. All which started after dad got voted in.

There I saw the lady who was spreading her clothes on the line. I listened as she hummed along as Dido sang Life for rent' . I've heard the song a thousand times when I was still home without fully comprehending the meaning but now, I do.

The lady turned and raised her phone towards me. I knew what she was going to do so I turned my back to her.

I did want her to capture this moment but I didn't want her to see my face.

I felt invincible and I wanted my face to be. Invisible.

Oluwaseyi Faith ©2018.

Source: http://www.afroparrot.com/2018/02/something-to-know-about-that-bird-on.html

cc: Divepen1, Obinnau

(1) (Reply)

° / The House On The Other Side Of The Street. / Nigerian Authors, Oyinkan Braithwaite & Diana Evans, Shortlisted For 2019 Women'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.