Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (24649 Views)

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. You’re Killing The Car / Consequences Of Removing A Car Thermostat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2018
Now why do ppl remove their thermostats?

it is a shortcut to a problem but not the solution.

if a themostat is removed, the fans will always be spinning 24/7.

ideally fans are only meant to come on when the hot water exits into the radiator.

so the fan will be spinning 24/7 now and the water will always be flowing in and out fo the engine non-stop

so the engine will be way too cold . cos there is no chance for it get to operating temperature.

such an engine can be at 50 degrees ..

all cars that their themostats have been removed, check the temperature guage

they are always below the middle mark and you can drive it from Lagos to Germany, it will still remain there.

the owner is happy, yes my car no dey overheat, but the engine is sad .

because an engine needs to get hot to perform well

the results,

1.a noisy car............ fan always spinning. damn i hate cars like that.

2. fan motor will break down sooner or later

3. engine will always be cold, increased fuel consumption

4. engine is dying slowly

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by makavele: 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
so if your car is overheating..... don't just remove thermostat.

you shuld check

1. thermostat maybe it stuck closed and water cannot flow again, in this case replace with factory OEM type; exact match

2. check radiator for leakages or death . . radiators have a life span and will lose efficiency too. replace

3. check water pump too, it might have broken blades and cannot circulate water well.

4. check coolant temperature sensor. . it might be giving car false temperature readings.

5 . check hoses for tight seal and integrity

and finally

check head gasket for proper sealing, if head gasket is damaged, car might be burning coolant and water will mysteriously be disappearing too.

so as you can see it takes a highly skilled professional to check all these issues and ifind the exact fault

but most naija mechanics are lazy and will just remove the thermostat.

if you read your cars manual, they WARN you nevr to rmove the thermostat whther you live in naija or in hell-fire

I have been driving cars with full a/c in Lagos traffic and nevr for once did I remove my thermostats.

except when a mechanic did it to me

and i spent fuel of 4,500 from Lagos to Ogun state (Nestle industry)

after fixing it back, same journey i spent fuel 1,000.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by jaz(m): 3:08pm On Feb 25, 2018
Even in the US ppl remove the thermostat. Google I your friend
Luxxycool:
Some parts of the United States are just as hot as Nigeria yet they don't remove thermostat. I've been using my car since 2013 and it works perfectly well with the thermostat intact. Before I agree with my mechanic on anything, I mostly check the internet and this has really helped.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by deavicky(m): 3:33pm On Feb 25, 2018
id4sho:
MANY gullible car owners will be like OP and NL are sickos .Their road side mechanic is the best.
some American luxury car and lions give serious issues when their thermostat is removed and road side mechanic will say; Oga if you remove it. my hand no dey, because of last police station experience .
SAY NO THERMOSTAT REMOVAL,
lol
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by thebigkendo(m): 3:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

@ the bolded, I was told that was wrong by some guys here, I still maintained it was right

Haha I though we had settled this? Can I share with you.. fan control wiring of one of such cars?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by id4sho(m): 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2018
holocron:

Please those places are not as hot as Naija abeg. There hottest temp DURING SUMMER is equivalent to our cool days.
undecided
holocron:

Please those places are not as hot as Naija abeg. There hottest temp DURING SUMMER is equivalent to our cool days.
watch National Geographic channel abeg

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Haha I though we had settled this? Can I share with you.. fan control wiring of one of such cars?
I got one bro plus i have personal and 1st hand knowledge of this .I did mine in my car!
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by id4sho(m): 4:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
makavele:
ICE (internal combustion engines) are designed to run hot and not cold . . at a particular temperature

some cars around 90 degrees celcius; some 95, some 85;; depending on the make (company)

so what happens when you start your car.

the temperature is at ambient temperature (normal) say 36 therabouts or 37 depending on the weather that day.

once the engine comes on andis working, it starts to get hot cos of the combustion process ..

and the guage starts to rise ..

if you car has not been tampered with, in about 2 minutes the guages gets tot he middle.

the engine gets hotter until it reaches its defined temperature limit, say 90 degrees . .

the ECU can see the temperature because there is a coolant temperature sensor fixed into the engine. .

At this point the thermostat valve will open and allow water in the radiator to flow into the engine.

The water is pushed throughout the engine by the water pump ; it has fins/blades that rotate and push water.

the cold water against the hot engine will make the temperature drop from say 90 to 89, 88, 87, 86 and so

when it gets to say 85 degrees, the thermostat will close.

At this point the ECU will send a command to the fans to spin .. (if the car is stationary or slow) . . the fans on the radiator will spin

and remove the heat from the hot water which came out fo the engine . . that's the job of the radiator + fans.

so by now the water is cold again . . the radiator fan turns off

the car keeps moving, temperature keeps rising . when it gets to 90 degress again

thermostat opens, allow cold water to enter engine to cool it down.

the water pump distributes it round the engine and out into the radiator.

the fans on the radiator come on again and cools down the water, thermostat closes again

and this process is repeated until God's kingdom comes

tiri gbosa for you, 1 chill origin for u

2 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Lokoyen(m): 4:11pm On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

Bro your thermostat was never the problem, in the process of rebuilding ur Engine the problem got solved however your Engine is slowly dieing as no thermostat is working there..Your thermostat is a part that requires changing at least each 100k miles

Thermostat was working fine after I ran comprehensive test.

Well, now am free sha!
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Frankiss44(m): 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2018
Luxxycool:
Some parts of the United States are just as hot as Nigeria yet they don't remove thermostat. I've been using my car since 2013 and it works perfectly well with the thermostat intact. Before I agree with my mechanic on anything, I mostly check the internet and this has really helped.

Most countries don't use water as coolant as we do here in Nigeria.. Majority of the cooland over there boils at 400 degree unlike water that boils at 100 degrees.. So over heating won't be a problem in those countries with high temperatures
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by thebigkendo(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2018
erico2k2:

I got one bro plus i have personal and 1st hand knowledge of this .I did mine in my car!

And we did not say you are wrong.. We just said for SOME CARS(expecially pre-2005 japanese cars) fan control is done via temperature switches, not from ECU.. Expect when AC is on then control can be via ECU and maybe AC gas pressure switch..
See the control for Honda accord, if you look closely you will find control 2003-2005 is via fan switch while for 2006-2007 is via ECU

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by thebigkendo(m): 9:24pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:
Thermostat is like electronic appliance, while some consume 110v, some consumes 220v.

Thermostat from country like Finland, Germany, Iceland, Canada etc emit more heat because of their region.

A car made by Innoson by all standard must have Thermostat but will not emit equivalent heat to your engine like those countries mentioned so your car will run all smoothly by the absence of the thermostat but may gulp a little more fuel at start pending the engine is warm.

We will all mock Innoson on this forum if he had built a car with no thermostat.

The thing is a 2 way thing about car, maintenance culture and the engine age.

I expect someone to understand this piece.

Demeanor make una come see something
Banky3w, chukel, computerglobal, Diportivo, Gazzuzz, Kingreign, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, Princetom1, Timifakay
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by timifakay(m): 9:32pm On Feb 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Banky.ky3w, chu.kel, compu.terglobal, Di.portivo, Gaz.zuzz, King.reign, LeJ.eun3, Ma.yor2013, nu.rey, Obe.kediamondfuto, Princ.etom1, Timif.akay
The post just weak me.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

Banky3w, chukel, computerglobal, Diportivo, Gazzuzz, Kingreign, LeJeun3, Mayor2013, nurey, Obekediamondfuto, Princetom1, Timifakay

I'm still trying to decipher what that guy was typing. what programming language is that? WEEDox 10g or LEGEND A ++?

that guy is probably just high sha
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by LeJeun3: 10:03pm On Feb 25, 2018
Opoki:
Thermostat is like electronic appliance, while some consume 110v, some consumes 220v.

Thermostat from country like Finland, Germany, Iceland, Canada etc emit more heat because of their region.

A car made by Innoson by all standard must have Thermostat but will not emit equivalent heat to your engine like those countries mentioned so your car will run all smoothly by the absence of the thermostat but may gulp a little more fuel at start pending the engine is warm.

We will all mock Innoson on this forum if he had built a car with no thermostat.

The thing is a 2 way thing about car, maintenance culture and the engine age.

I expect someone to understand this piece.

Blood of LandRover, what did I just read?? Is it possible to unread it??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by banky3w(m): 11:44pm On Feb 25, 2018
thebigkendo:

I've been smiling at a lot of people's ignorance here but that guy just made me realise I have an horrifying look reading his epistle. If you don't know the working principle of thermostat, Shebi you go read comments and learn. Which one be electronic appliance, 110v and 220v, emit equivalent heat to engine again? shocked shocked :oHaba.... undecided undecided lipsrsealed Fear God oooo.

4 Likes

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Aldebaran(m): 12:27am On Feb 26, 2018
O. K
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 1:27am On Feb 26, 2018
LeJeun3:

Blood of LandRover, what did I just read?? Is it possible to unread it??

LR no get blood. For yoir info, I'm a professional Car dealer grin grin grin
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 3:06am On Feb 26, 2018
Opoki:

OK, e be like na electric cars you dey deal on grin grin

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by GetUmad: 3:36am On Feb 26, 2018
Opoki:

LR no get blood. For yoir info, I'm a professional Car dismantler grin grin grin
Lol. Person dey sell casket nor mean say em be guru for death ☠ and death matters.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by GetUmad: 3:38am On Feb 26, 2018
Arizona1:

OK, e be like na electric cars you dey deal on grin grin
for him to have used the word "emit" in the same sentence with a thermostat, he's not qualified to sell an ordinary side mirror.

1 Like

Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 5:14am On Feb 26, 2018
Pls what could be the cause of my car overheating. I have changes the top gasket but it still over heats.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:28am On Feb 26, 2018
Opoki:

please u r the reason our cars in Nigeria can't operate with those thermostat from Finland, the one with 110v.

its either u stick to what u know and become an electrician/ rewire or u travel to Sweden and hussle....

PS I need a 220watts 110v thermostat for my murano, the one there is not emitting enough heat and I need heat please. the German one oh please not the Russian imitation.

can u help me out?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:33am On Feb 26, 2018
sammywalterz:
Pls what could be the cause of my car overheating. I have changes the top gasket but it still over heats.

ermmmm opoki can help u install the one thermostat from Arizona that emits low heat!

radiator, hoses, pressure and pressure cap, water pump, etc

start troubleshooting those first. u cannot go wrong except u either don't know the operating temp of the car or the Mech did a sack job changing the top gasket. start with those few to isolate which components are still working!

and please note...... I didn't say change, I said troubleshoot, if u ain't a diy guy, I'd say take ur Car to a pro!
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Arizona1: 9:06am On Feb 26, 2018
grin grin grin I dey tell you
GetUmad:
for him to have used the word "emit" in the same sentence with a thermostat, he's not qualified to sell an ordinary side mirror.
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 2:10pm On Feb 26, 2018
GetUmad:

Lol. Person dey sell casket nor mean say em be guru for death ☠ and death matters.
shocked shocked shocked
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 2:11pm On Feb 26, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

please u r the reason our cars in Nigeria can't operate with those thermostat from Finland, the one with 110v.

its either u stick to what u know and become an electrician/ rewire or u travel to Sweden and hussle....

PS I need a 220watts 110v thermostat for my murano, the one there is not emitting enough heat and I need heat please. the German one oh please not the Russian imitation.

can u help me out?
Where is your location? I will organize how your car will be Kazeemed cheesy
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 2:13pm On Feb 26, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

ermmmm opoki can help u install the one thermostat from Arizona that emits low heat!

radiator, hoses, pressure and pressure cap, water pump, etc

start troubleshooting those first. u cannot go wrong except u either don't know the operating temp of the car or the Mech did a sack job changing the top gasket. start with those few to isolate which components are still working!

and please note...... I didn't say change, I said troubleshoot, if u ain't a diy guy, I'd say take ur Car to a pro!

Hmmmm, I'll get back to this later, currently working on a project
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 8:04pm On Feb 27, 2018
Opoki:

Hmmmm, I'll get back to this later, currently working on a project
Are you Serious
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Opoki(m): 10:34pm On Feb 27, 2018
erico2k2:

Are you Serious
Yes brov,
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by erico2k2(m): 12:38am On Feb 28, 2018
Opoki:

Yes brov,
Thermostat got wired connectors?
emits/generate heat?
Re: You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. by Nobody: 3:42am On Feb 28, 2018
erico2k2:

Are you Serious
Izza serious matter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ferrucio Lamborghini Who Founded Lamborghini Died On This Day 26 Years Ago / What Is The Average Price You Spent On Fuel In A Day? / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.