Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? (6704 Views)

JAMB 2024 Marking Scheme: Verify The JAMB Grading System Right Now / ASUU Strike: FG Announces 23.5% Salary Increment For Lecturers / NUC Scraps PGDE Training For Lecturers With Phds Dailytimes.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by Homers123(m): 10:51am On Feb 26, 2018
Marking scheme is rubbish.It is for those yeye lecturers who wants to stop students from think out of the box.
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by ksbusari(m): 11:38am On Feb 26, 2018
I'm a part time lecturer in a state college of education. I discovered that so many students fail because scripts are been given to someone who has no knowledge about the course. It's a must to prepare a scheme bt i don't follow the scheme. I don't blame the lecturers ooo. it's easy to teach students than to mark scripts (I swear).
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by amunites19(m): 11:47am On Feb 26, 2018
Yes of course, it is compulsory because the level of our integrity in Africa is still not there, I was very disappointed about what happened in one Nigerian University.
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by starstunna1313(m): 12:56pm On Feb 26, 2018
RexEmmyGee:
Those things should be on their heads, don't you think. Except they give it out for someone to mark

I DON'T KNOW THE SCHOOL YOU WENT TO BUT WHERE I SCHOOLED STUDENTS DON'T MARK YOUR SCRIPTS.. LECTURERS DO...#FACT
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by babalonimi: 6:16pm On Feb 26, 2018
Truely a bad system, bt some f us hav taken it upon ourselves to mark by ourselves and I personally encouraged my students to write according to their understanding in my courses not cramming my reading material. Some f them can actually express themselves in their own word. That's d best to m
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by RexEmmyGee: 7:05pm On Feb 26, 2018
starstunna1313:

I DON'T KNOW THE SCHOOL YOU WENT TO BUT WHERE I SCHOOLED STUDENTS DON'T MARK YOUR SCRIPTS.. LECTURERS DO...#FACT
The plain fact is that all schools give out script to other students to mark. Mainly PG marking UG script
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by starstunna1313(m): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2018
RexEmmyGee:

The plain fact is that all schools give out script to other students to mark. Mainly PG marking UG script

In Med School is round table marking...
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by Fxwarrior: 10:12pm On Feb 26, 2018
Darkseid:
They create marking schemes so that they can give it to other students to mark. I still remember my Physics 513 course on Lasers, after the exam, over half of the class scored E and F, the highest was C. When we made enquires for the low scores, we discovered that such a difficult course was given to a 300l student from another department to mark. The guy marked nonsense because most of our answers even though correct where not in the marking scheme. It was really painful.

So what later became of the mofo?
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by Darkseid(m): 1:23am On Feb 27, 2018
Fxwarrior:

So what later became of the mofo?
Nothing was done about it, we just had to accept our fate.
Re: Is Marking Scheme Necessary For Lecturers? by Ocheinstein(m): 4:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Nice one. I have friends who are lecturers. It's now compulsory in most schools to present marking scheme with your question paper. I think it's making more sense.
adanny01:

Let me give u an example, if an exam ask for a definition. The marking scheme does not ask for say 3 marks for the definition word for word. Alot of people will fail. So the marking scheme picks say 3 words without which the definition is incomplete. If a candidate uses the 3 words he get full marks. If he uses 2 he gets 2 marks out of 3, if he uses 1 he gets one mark.

The major problem is these keywords may have synonyms. These synonyms should be considered by the marking scheme. Without the marking scheme, lecturer will make mistakes failing some who are right and passing some who are wrong.

Also, when a candidate, protest his scores, a remarking must be called and this time not just the lecturer but a selection of lecturers. They will vet the script with the marking scheme. "It is important to have and not need it than to need it and not have it".

If you have marked with a marking scheme before, you will find out you need it especially for the 1st1-10 scripts. Pause marking for a week, you will refer to the marking scheme again because you will forget some minor details. Leturers dont have time to mark all scripts at a go. In public universities with strikes, one time it took me a year to see the results. Marking in a span of 6months, only a marking scheme will guarantee fairness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Doctors In The House, How Did You Gain Admission To Study Medicine And Surgery? / Presidential Scholarship Scheme For Ist Class Nigerian Graduates For Phd Abroad / Bayelsa State School Of Nursing Tombia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.