Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,305 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) (41056 Views)

Alaafin of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Joins His Ancestors At 83 / His Imperial Majesty, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, The Alaafin Of Oyo Is 80 / His Imperial Majesty, Oba (dr.) Lamidi Olayiwola Atanda Adeyemi III, Is 79 Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by omoelerin1: 2:03pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

It's only because of how fractured our society is on ethnic lines, if not, the whole should have been scrapped a long time ago.

This is why I keep reiterating that the regional government is the best for Nigeria. All these unnecessary positions will be jettisoned.
Some people don't even know the meaning of regionalism they are shouting all about. I don't know when regional becomes a system of govt.
If the system of federating unit that Nigeria practised in the 60s is what you call regional govt, it is still the same federal system we are practising now. We only increase the federating units and call them other names.

Perhaps you should tell me how that one will make us jettison our traditional system. Our traditional rulers were even more powerful in those period than the present time.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 26, 2018
omoelerin1:
Some people don't even know the meaning of regionalism they are shouting all about. I don't know when regional becomes a system of govt.
If the system of federating unit that Nigeria practised in the 60s is what you call regional govt, it is still the same federal system we are practising now. We only increase the federating units and call them other names.

Perhaps you should tell me how that one will make us jettison our traditional system. Our traditional rulers were even more powerful in those period than the present time.

Regional government is not the same as a federal government. Regional government everyone operates to the laws of his region and uses the resources of the region to carry out projects within the region. You don't need to be relying on the federal government to fix your road or other things a region can take care of if they pool their resources together. The prime minister will just be a figure head and attend to international matters that concerns the country. Of course each region will contribute a share to take care of the military and all.

Yes, traditional institutions will be rid of, what purpose will they serve if people are being governed well, a local government sees to it that streets are tarred, electrical poles are well maintained, power lines are in order, everything that should be in his charge is properly maintained. Community police, local health center and clinic is properly equipped. Please tell what is the need for an Oba in such community. Last last they will be reduced to land owning families not being paid for by government when they do nothing.

What we have now is more of a unitary government than a federal in the sense of regional structure.

2 Likes

Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 26, 2018
NwaChibuzor13:
Must the Alaafin of oyo be aafin in colour? Generally, yoruba kings occupy the lower half of the food chain. They stand no where and can't be compared with nothern kings/ rulers not to talk of igbo kings/rulers despite the fact that they have destroyed the name of royalty no thanks to their numerous ceremonial positions.

The exact opposite is actually true in the case of Igbo kings who are a relatively modern (postcolonial) development. So-called Igbo kings are usually successful businessmen who are able to assume the title of Eze Ndigbo of Kano, etc, because they are worshipped by their associates as a result of their spending prowess.

Not one drop of blue in their veins, and some have been known to be con-artists, armed robbers & ritualists. e.g. Igwe John Nebolisa cool
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by gbolly0001(m): 2:40pm On Feb 26, 2018
NwaChibuzor13:
Must the Alaafin of oyo be aafin in colour? Generally, yoruba kings occupy the lower half of the food chain. They stand no where and can't be compared with nothern kings/ rulers not to talk of igbo kings/rulers despite the fact that they have destroyed the name of royalty no thanks to their numerous ceremonial positions.

What rubbish is this one saying like this have you heard about ooni of ife aalfin of oyo alake of egba land
Name one of your Igbo king � who's more prominent than any of them #IRESTMYCASE
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by omoelerin1: 2:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

Regional government is not the same as a federal government. Regional government everyone operates to the laws of his region and uses the resources of the region to carry out projects within the region. You don't need to be relying on the federal government to fix your road or other things a region can take care of if they pool their resources together. The prime minister will just be a figure head and attend to international matters that concerns the country. Of course each region will contribute a share to take care of the military and all.

Yes, traditional institutions will be rid of, what purpose will they serve if people are being governed well, a local government sees to it that streets are tarred, electrical poles are well maintained, power lines are in order, everything that should be in his charge is properly maintained. Community police, local health center and clinic is properly equipped. Please tell what is the need for an Oba in such community. Last last they will be reduced to land owning families not being paid for by government when they do nothing.
Gibberish

I can see you are confused already, you don't know what you are saying.
It is not until when we make regions the federating units that we will have autonomy for the federating units.
We can still devolve more power to the present federating units (states) and achieve the same autonomy you are saying.

Don't confuse yourself about regional and prime minister you are talking about.

Federal system is not the same thing as parliamentary.

Federal system as to do with the way a country is structured politically for governance while Parliamentary system is about the structure of the government itself.

Assignment, go and read the meaning and not the differences of :
federalism
confederation
Parliamentary system
presidential system

Concerning the obaship, it has come to stay.
If you don't have or have dismantled traditional political system in your tribe is not anybody's business.

1 Like

Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 26, 2018
omoelerin1:
Gibberish

It is not until when we make regions the federating units that we will have autonomy for the federating units.
We can still devolve more power to the present federating units (states) and achieve the same autonomy you are saying.

Federal system as to do with the way a country is structured politically for governance while Parliamentary system is about the structure of the government itself.

federalism
confederation
Parliamentary system
presidential system

If you don't have or have dismantled traditional political system in your tribe is not anybody's business.

Dissolving more power to the states is not as efficient as pooling two or more states within a region. In Nigeria it is clear we have six geopolitical zones which is perfect for a regional government. The number is even.

This federal government you are trying to sell under regional government is crap. It is still the same as being subjected to the powers of the centre. The center abdicating powers to these regions proves that it can as well take it away from it or is the one the power is seated within.

The power of a country should rest within these six regions and even if the country were to go to war, these six region will have to come to agreement to it rather than the center taking the decision on its own. It's not a federal government I am trying to sell here but a regional government styled in a federal or whatever way you want to term it.

Why prime minister is because he will act on behalf of the six region not within his own discretion. The premier of these six regions are the one with the true power. He is just there to represent the face of the country and execute commands that has to do with international politics or cases. It is a system of government that should be fashioned based on the ethnic political landscape of the country.

Each region can them decide to have a 1000 Obas or more within their region, it is their headache and it's their resources to expend on. If they want to have 50 states its their headache and their resources to expend on.

I know for an elightened and well educated region, the Obaship will collapse to at most to three kings or a single king for each state. The idea of having 20 to 30 kings within a state which is just ludicrous and a complete mockery of royalty. Many of the kings in southwest should be land owning families and basically chief, no such right as an Oba should be accorded to them. Btw, I am from the southwest, perhaps far more than you sef.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by moe100(m): 3:07pm On Feb 26, 2018
IjeleNwa:
How about TillaMan? I thought he is the real omo oba again o?

(Police show am shege! cry
how dem take show am shege?
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by akigbemaru: 3:18pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

It's only because of how fractured our society is on ethnic lines, if not, the whole should have been scrapped a long time ago.

This is why I keep reiterating that the regional government is the best for Nigeria. All these unnecessary positions will be jettisoned.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by akigbemaru: 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

What we have now is more of a unitary government than a federal in the sense of regional structure.

Excellent submission and tell him too!
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by akigbemaru: 3:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
omoelerin1:
Gibberish

federalism
confederation
Parliamentary system
presidential system

Tell us what we know already and I don't know if you are comprehension's deficiency. That man claims Regional Autonomy is the best practice for the rainbow of nations called Nigeria. He further implies to you that Regionalism will bring about The Prime Minister. He has stated his assertion succinctly and I don't know what you what him to say again.

I will advocate for Regionalism any time any day because that is the only remedy for the quagmire we are in Nigeria.

As a Yoruba man, I detest the traditional practice because it is preposterous and remains a cog in the wheel of our collective progress!

Allafin of Oyo at 80 still getting little girls pregnant and that puts a dent on the collective psyche of all Yoruba people as a civilized people.

The nowadays governors acting like our prime ministers already and that is dangerous to our collective progress!

Obaship is fastly eroding more than the Ozone layers and it would be a bye-gone episode sooner than later as modernity reveals the chinks in its armor.

The battle-line is drawn already between the iconoclasts and the proponents of a lingering Vassal State! It is quite pellucid that the former will triumph over the latter.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by akigbemaru: 3:56pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

Dissolving more power to the states is not as efficient as pooling two or more states within a region. In Nigeria it is clear we have six geopolitical zones which is perfect for a regional government. The number is even.

This federal government you are trying to sell under regional government is crap. It is still the same as being subjected to the powers of the centre. The center abdicating powers to these regions proves that it can as well take it away from it or is the one the power is seated within.

The power of a country should rest within these six regions and even if the country were to go to war, these six region will have to come to agreement to it rather than the center taking the decision on its own. It's not a federal government I am trying to sell here but a regional government styled in a federal or whatever way you want to term it.

Why prime minister is because he will act on behalf of the six region not within his own discretion. The premier of these six regions are the one with the true power. He is just there to represent the face of the country and execute commands that has to do with international politics or cases. It is a system of government that should be fashioned based on the ethnic political landscape of the country.

Each region can them decide to have a 1000 Obas or more within their region, it is their headache and it's their resources to expend on. If they want to have 50 states its their headache and their resources to expend on.

I know for an elightened and well educated region, the Obaship will collapse to at most to three kings or a single king for each state. The idea of having 20 to 30 kings within a state which is just ludicrous and a complete mockery of royalty. Many of the kings in southwest should be land owning families and basically chief, no such right as an Oba should be accorded to them. Btw, I am from the southwest, perhaps far more than you sef.

Yet another excellent submission from you! I'm from South West and I don't get involved much with most things with Yorubas. The proliferation of traditional establishments remains remains the biggest Yorubas' woe.

In 2018, Yorubas from Ondo still don't see one another as families with Yoruba from Ogun and IBADAN people don't see one another as one with Pup and all because of the stupid practice called Obaship!
With a prime minister in place, OPC, Afenifere and other freedom-fighting mushroom groups will surely be disappeared into obscurity.

Prime Minister and No to Obaship! No more slavery or Vassal State!
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 26, 2018
akigbemaru:

Yet another excellent submission from you! I'm from South West and I don't get involved much with most things with Yorubas. The proliferation of traditional establishments remains remains the biggest Yorubas' woe.

In 2018, Yorubas from Ondo still don't see one another as families with Yoruba from Ogun and IBADAN people don't see one another as one with Pup and all because of the stupid practice called Obaship!
With a prime minister in place, OPC, Afenifere and other freedom-fighting mushroom groups will surely be disappeared into obscurity.

Prime Minister and No to Obaship! No more slavery or Vassal State!

Thank you oh, even well meaning royals will see reasons with the submission, those genuinely concerned for the movement of their people.

The royalty thing has been bastardized and lost it relevancy. It has no tooth anymore so the smart thing is to adapt to a more concrete and strong form. Let's all regroup ourselves and choose a more concrete form of how we want to be led. A premier for each region,trickling down to a local government chairman.

Anything that does not directly better the people domiciled within an area or provide amenities for them should be withered off.

1 Like

Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by LarryBeryl(m): 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

Of what relevance are these traditional leaders sef?
Cultural relevance in synergy with preserved Africanism
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by omoelerin1: 7:47pm On Feb 26, 2018
akigbemaru:

Tell us what we know already and I don't know if you are comprehension's deficiency. That man claims Regional Autonomy is the best practice for the rainbow of nations called Nigeria. He further implies to you that Regionalism will bring about The Prime Minister. He has stated his assertion succinctly and I don't know what you what him to say again.

I will advocate for Regionalism any time any day because that is the only remedy for the quagmire we are in Nigeria.

As a Yoruba man, I detest the traditional practice because it is preposterous and remains a cog in the wheel of our collective progress!

Allafin of Oyo at 80 still getting little girls pregnant and that puts a dent on the collective psyche of all Yoruba people as a civilized people.

The nowadays governors acting like our prime ministers already and that is dangerous to our collective progress!

Obaship is fastly eroding more than the Ozone layers and it would be a bye-gone episode sooner than later as modernity reveals the chinks in its armor.

The battle-line is drawn already between the iconoclasts and the proponents of a lingering Vassal State! It is quite pellucid that the former will triumph over the latter.
What's this thing saying?

This thing is comparing Nigerian society of the 60s with the contemporary Nigeria.

You better go and study the reasons why Nigeria had to jettison regions as the federating units and divided the country to the first 12 federating units in the first instance.

Why must we continue with the system introduced to us in 1953 by the colonial govt that did not even understand the complexity of Nigerian society?

Why must we have 3 regions only? Do we have only 3 ethnic group in Nigeria?
Even Nigerian Govt was aware of this in 1963 when another federating units- mid western state was created.

Must we necessarily call them region?
Regionalism ko, sectionalism ni. ko le work.

I was also trying to draw the attention of the guy not to mix federalism with parliamentary system. That Even if we return to regional system, our head of govt does not necessarily need to be prime minister. Even with the current system, our head of the government can still be prime minister if it is what we want. What I am saying in essence is that the issue of prime minister or no prime minister is another thing entirely. It has nothing to do with true federalism or no federalism. In any case, the most suitable form of govt in a federal state is presidential due to its rigidity compare to parliamentary which is flexible. Parliamentary form is good with unitary or Confederate state.

Concerning the obaship, I don't see it collapsed any moment from now. You must know this. Unless you are not a good observer of our social-political society. Or probably, you're talking out of personal hatred and negative impression you have towards our traditional political system.
During the last administration, if you're smart you ought to aware how policy makers were arguing whether or not to make provision for the roles of traditional rulers in the constitution when it was about to be amended. Though, I personally I don't support that, but that is to tell you that Nigerians have ready more than ever to deliver themselves from psychology of colonialism and do everything possible to preserve their traditional political system.
By the way, it is not the federal govt that finances them. Their fates are determined by the laws of the respective states they find themselves.
Abi, have you heard the federal ministry of chieftaincy before? I am sure you must have heard something like Lagos state ministry of Local Govt and chieftaincy.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by supereagle(m): 9:00pm On Feb 26, 2018
Gungnir:

Imagine a community having an Oba, such ludicrous things. So much position little to show for it.
There is nothing wrong with that , we have autonomous communities in Igbo land with Ezes. My grandfather was a second class Oba.
Re: Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Feb 26, 2018
supereagle:

There is nothing wrong with that , we have autonomous communities in Igbo land with Ezes. My grandfather was a second class Oba.

Read to the end of the thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Night Burial As Per Yoruba Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Religious Rites / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] / Masquerades In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.