Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,250 members, 7,807,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76734 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by wyt(m): 3:31pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ platinumnk and other range fans
good to get it in, in the list, i think it is more classy than x5 and/ML.
seriously thinking of it,

what of its maitainance?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 3:35pm On Apr 28, 2010
arsenal4va:

@ xcolanto

no be your fault jare , u no get class

GUY no be to dey post ML pics dey feel like big boy yea! like chidichris has stated, pls read the bold part lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
chidichris:

it all depends on choice, who u are, what you are and what you can afford.

to buy, mercedes is a bit more expensive than bmw but to maintain, bmw is very very expensive compare to mercedes.

if you want to see the comfort of an suv, i suggest an x5 shld be your destination.

like i said, the major problem of x5 is maintainance as it is very very expensive to maintain.

ml is built for duration while x5 is built for class and comfort that is from interior to exterior.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fdeveloper(m): 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2010
In my opinion, BMW's are for people that enjoy driving cars that are sporty, responsive and with a good racing pedigree whereas the typical Mercedes owner is much more likely to have a driver and is more interested in comfort, luxury and smoothness. I don't believe that one is necessarily better than the other as in my view they both cater to slightly different market segments.

Personally, I would always choose the BMW X5!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 28, 2010
@PK,
Sorry that Range ain't pretty.
Range is generally overhyped, though the older models are strong as hell.

Anyway, i prefer the 2010 ML and Q7 to that.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by denny4ril: 5:31pm On Apr 28, 2010
BMW anytime, SPEED BALANCE,, SPEED, BEAUTY, U NAME IT!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Ormania(m): 5:40pm On Apr 28, 2010
Seina, i will talk from what i heard and what i saw!

The Mercedes as we all knw strong! Havnt been inside Mercedes ML, but from outside it looks crap, i mean uncool.
Have been and drove BMW X5 for somtime. Exterior= FANTASTIC. Interior= FANTASTICO! Very comfortable. shocked
if u offer me 2 ML or 1 x5, definetly i will go for 1 x5 grin

Wish u the best to get da x5! CHEERS! cheesy
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Shock(m): 5:43pm On Apr 28, 2010
Dirty boy!---- cheesy cheesy

if you wanna right dirty, then go get yourself a Q7!

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2010
Forget all these ML, X5 and Q7's. The BMW X6 is where it is at.

My oldest brother in Naija sold his X5, came to Germany here and bought the car early 2009 and i was with him at the test drive in Düsseldorf and i can ultimately confirm that the car is the greatest off-roader ever built. It is a moving beast. I love Germans and their tech, unrivalled world wide.

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 5:57pm On Apr 28, 2010
I don't see what all the hype is about the Audi SUV.The design sucks.It's too boxy and lengthy.Would have loved better if they stuck to their cars.I love the Audi A8 and R8.That's about it.

@Topic

Comparing the X5 to the new ML is an insult of high ramifications.Mercedes has carved a niche for itself for producing great vehicles but the only SUV's they have that really cut it are the G-class and GL-class models.Any other model is weak crap.Perhaps it might look good for the ladies but for as a man's ride? Pu pu pleeasseee!

The X5 or X6 bangs the ML in the arse with no KY jelly any day, any time.

S.hit on ML!

I'm out.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
I rep the Benz name.
How can someone say Benz don't make nice SUV's?

Check out the 09 GL

[img]http://image.automotive.com/f/auto_shows/2007_detroit/6710349+pheader/0701_z+2007_mercedes_benz_gl420_bluetec+concept.jpg[/img]
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 6:33pm On Apr 28, 2010
@Topic

First gen ML (320 or 430) is not worth the time it took to write this. Second gen is a little better but still lags behind BMW X5.

First gen X5 is ok but second gen (2004+ especially for the 4.4 & 4.cool is better.

Audi Q7 look nice but it is too heavy, too slow and too long.

Range rover sport (HSE or super-charged) looks very beautiful but it is the worst piece of crap ever, at least as of 2008! If you're going to get the range, just make sure you have a very nice stash of funds for when the electrical gremlins come calling.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 28, 2010
Lol. . .never new this thread would attract such passionate debate! I've added a poll, let the battle commence! wink

Well, I guess every model has their fans. I tend to look beyond the look, and concentrate mainly on the mechanical and electrical integrity of any car. Mercedes Benz of late have suffered reliability issues - you only need to log onto any Mercedes Benz forum, where the members are confirmed petrolheads, and passionate about the brand. Yet, they still admit the shortcomings of the marque. The last of the well-built Mercedes Benz were the 124 series - AKA V-boot. It may not look as up to date as the current range, but they were the last word in reliability.

I will be test driving the following cars in the next few weeks, and reporting here:

1) Audi Q7.
2) BMW X5.
3) Mercedes ML.
4) Volkswagen Touareg.

I've seen the X6, but will not be testing driving any - I don't feel it's a true 4x4 SUV, it's more comparable to the Audi A6 Allroad and Volvo XC70, so that'll be a separate thread. All the cars I'll be testing will be current models, available from main stealers.

NB: I found an immaculate 2002 BMW X5 3,0L manual today, it's priced at £10,995, so quite reasonable! Didn't get a chance to test drive, as I was on my lunch break.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 7:29pm On Apr 28, 2010
@Siena - when you do test drive the SUVs, make sure that you drive the same model years since improvements are usually made on the newer models.

I guess I can sort of understand why you would group X6 in the same category as an Audi Allroad but I don't think they belong in the same category. The Allroad should be compared to other station wagons like 5 series or E class wagons with 4 wheel drive. The X6 might have been a compromise for the US because we hate wagons over here.

The X6 is really geared to those that want a fast sporty SUV without a real need for utility; in other words, a sportier version of the X5 or Cayenne.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 28, 2010
The X6 is not a true SUV. I hate the shape.

@Siena,
While testing the '10 ML, don't forget to try out the GL.
I bet you'll be voting for the Mercedes.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Dizzybizzy: 7:38pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

@Siena,
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 28, 2010
Wallie:

@Siena - when you do test drive the SUVs, make sure that you drive the same model years since improvements are usually made on the newer models.

I guess I can sort of understand why you would group X6 in the same category as an Audi Allroad but I don't think they belong in the same category. The Allroad should be compared to other station wagons like 5 series or E class wagons with 4 wheel drive. The X6 might have been a compromise for the US because we hate wagons over here.

The X6 is really geared to those that want a fast sporty SUV without a real need for utility; in other words, a sportier version of the X5 or Cayenne.

I love your arguments, BlueDiva!  wink

But, the Audi A6 Allroad, BMW X6, Volvo XC70 are not just regular AWD wagons - they all have the regular AWD versions, i.e Audi A6 quattro, BMW 535IX and Volvo C70. These don't offer the ground clearance to be classed as even partial offroaders, unlike their beefed-up cousins, which are higher, have extra control for range / descent and height adjustment.

But for the purpose of this thread, we'll stick to the full-size SUV / SAV's.  smiley

The models's I'll be testing will be 2010 versions that are currently in the showrooms.  cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by wyt(m): 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2010
so my highly valued renge is not in the list.
pls talk on bmw maintainance. i just don't ML
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 8:16pm On Apr 28, 2010
Siena:

But, the Audi A6 Allroad, BMW X6, Volvo XC70 are not just regular AWD wagons - they all have the regular AWD versions, i.e Audi A6 quattro, BMW 535IX and Volvo C70. These don't offer the ground clearance to be classed as even partial offroaders, unlike their beefed-up cousins, which are higher, have extra control for range / descent and height adjustment.

True but the first thing that comes to my mind when I see the Allroad and cross country is "wagon." I actually rented the cross country once on a trip to Montreal during winter and I was extremely impressed. I also like the beefy look of the Allroad and the fact that you can easily add power to the 2.7L engine.

With regards to the GL, looks like MB finally got something right according to reviews. I've been trying to get myself to warm up to the R class because I want a 7-seater but I think I should have been looking at the GL.

Do check out the 5 series GT if you can.

@BlueDiva – I do agree that the shape of the X6 takes some getting used to but the inside and front is crazy! For some reason, I always find myself rooting for BMW but MB’s latest products are not bad especially the sedans (C & E class).
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
wyt:

so my highly valued renge is not in the list.

This thread's not about the Range Rover.

You can of course start a thread about them, and a separate one asking for tips on BMW maintainance.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 8:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
wyt:

BMW X5’s maintenance is not too bad as long as you change the oil religiously with full synthetic at about every 7k miles. Also, the transmission tends to have problems around 100k miles especially if the fluid was changed as recommended.

Apart from that, window regulators also crap out for some reason. Make sure you ask for the service history when you buy one just to ascertain if you have a trouble maker on your hands (a problem that requires multiple fixes is a bad sign, and so is too many little problems).
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 8:33pm On Apr 28, 2010
Wallie:

@BlueDiva – I do agree that the shape of the X6 takes some getting used to but the inside and front is crazy! For some reason, I always find myself rooting for BMW but MB’s latest products are not bad especially the sedans (C & E class).

You can never get used that shape. that car is Ugly mehn. the Porshe Caynene looks way better and Im not a fan.
I hoping that BMW will realize that barely anyone likes it and will scrap that yucky design.

BlueDiva:

@PK,
Sorry that Range ain't pretty.
Range is generally overhyped, though the older models are strong as hell.

Anyway, i prefer the 2010 ML and Q7 to that.
Range is over hyped to a degree.
Im a fan of clean cut lines, and I said before I dont like what they did to the Range past 2008.
06-07 are the best looking ones IMO.

The Audi Q7 and the Tourag. almost have the same shape, but I dont really see the Volks on the road here.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Apr 28, 2010
platinumnk:

You can never get used that shape. that car is Ugly mehn. the Porshe Caynene looks way better and Im not a fan.
I hoping that BMW will realize that barely anyone likes it and will scrap that yucky design.
Range is over hyped to a degree.
Im a fan of clean cut lines, and I said before I dont like what they did to the Range past 2008.
06-07 are the best looking ones IMO.

The Audi Q7 and the Tourag. almost have the same shape, but I dont really see the Volks on the road here.

How could u insult Q7 like this and compare it to that ugly ride, called Toureg?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 8:56pm On Apr 28, 2010
platinumnk:

Cayenne is the quintessential way of how not to design a frontend especially since it’s just a rebadged Touareg. There is no way the X6 is uglier!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 28, 2010
platinumnk:

The Audi Q7  and the Tourag. almost have the same shape, but I dont really see the Volks on the road here.

The Audi Q7, Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne all share the same platform.

The Audi Q7 however, is so far removed from the Volkswagen Cayenne, it may well be a totally different car. It shares not a single panel with the Touareg. On the other hand, the Porsche Cayenne and the Volkswagen Touareg are clones of each other - all the body panels, bar the hood and tailgate are exactly the same. There was very little attempt to disguise the similarities, unlike Audi's Q7, that had production delayed for over a year to give it a very separate identity to the Touareg and Cayenne. This has kept Q7 in the exclusive bracket, it holds it's value extremely well, and is rarer than the Cayenne. The Touareg is the most common, and can be bought for very little money as a result.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2010
Siena:

The Audi Q7, Volkswagen Touareg and Porsche Cayenne all share the same platform.

The Audi Q7 however, is so far removed from the Volkswagen Cayenne, it may well be a totally different car. It shares not a single panel with the Touareg. On the other hand, the Porsche Cayenne and the Volkswagen Touareg are clones of each other - all the body panels, bar the hood and tailgate are exactly the same. There was very little attempt to disguise the similarities, unlike Audi's Q7, that had production delayed for over a year to give it a very separate identity to the Touareg and Cayenne. This has kept Q7 in the exclusive bracket, it holds it's value extremely well, and is rarer than the Cayenne. The Touareg is the most common, and can be bought for very little money as a result.

That is what made Q7 an uncle to all other mentioned . . . . . That machine is busy and has something for everyone
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 28, 2010
BlueDiva:

@Siena,

BlueDiva, the Mercedes Benz GL is a very different model to the ML. It replaced the older G-Wagon, which had been first produced 25 years earlier. For the purpose of this thread, we'll stick with the ML, which is directly comparable to the other contenders here. smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 9:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
Siena:

See I knew I wasnt crazy. Just that Audi took the mold and wanted to make it their own tongue
I forgot what the clone of the X6 is, I think Honda has one, and its still an ugly car lol grin

Fhemmmy:

How could u insult Q7 like this and compare it to that ugly ride, called Toureg?
Uncle Femm. Forgive me oo, I know Audi Rules, I just know they came from the same molding family.
Wallie:

Cayenne is the quintessential way of how not to design a frontend especially since it’s just a rebadged Touareg. There is no way the X6 is uglier!
Forgive me but the X6 is comparable to the new Toyota Hatchback the Versa or something,Both Ugly cars. . .
Who be designing this?

They need some more hip people tongue
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
So far, reception of the X6 in Britain has been less than favourable. It just doesn't appear to fit anywhere within the current BMW line-up.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 9:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
platinumnk:

Uncle Femm. Forgive me oo, I know Audi Rules, I just know they came from the same molding family. Forgive me but the X6 is comparable to the new Toyota Hatchback the Versa or something,Both Ugly cars. . .
ed some more hip people tongue

You forgiven.
X6 Rocks and dont insult it by comparing to any Toyota product, i beggggggggggggggg

Siena:

So far, reception of the X6 in Britain has been less than favourable. It just doesn't appear to fit anywhere within the current BMW line-up.

X6 has not enjoyed what the BMW expected anywhere in the world, but i think it is cos of the price.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2010
platinumnk:

I forgot what the clone of the X6 is, I think Honda has one, and its still an ugly car lol grin
Uncle Femm. Forgive me oo, I know Audi Rules, I just know they came from the same molding family. Forgive me but the X6 is comparable to the new Toyota Hatchback the Versa or something,Both Ugly cars. . .
Who be designing this?

They need some more hip people tongue

The X6 is an acquired taste kinda like your first taste of beer – you just need to look past the rear.

I do agree that BMW designers (Bangle’e era) missed the boat on the X6 and it needs a new design. But Bangle was ahead of his time and even though his style was very controversial, other car manufacturers now implement his design elements.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 28, 2010
Siena:

BlueDiva, the Mercedes Benz GL is a very different model to the ML. It replaced the older G-Wagon, which had been first produced 25 years earlier. For the purpose of this thread, we'll stick with the ML, which is directly comparable to the other contenders here. smiley

Yep, the G class model is different from the ML.
I just love the GL though.

Seems you know a lot about both cars, so why did you ask us? tongue

Meanwhile, the ML is leading the poll.
Where is everybody that was hyping the Beamer? I'm sure they're closet Mercedes fan.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 10:09pm On Apr 28, 2010
when comparing the ml a nd the x5 ,remember that the ML came out before the x5 so comparing ml of 2000 and x5 of 2002 definately the newer car should be better particularly if they are rival models.Comparing the ml of 2003 and the x5 of the same year to me the ml is preferable.That BMW looks too bulky.The post 2006 X5 yes that is the bomb.The problem with the post 2006 ml is that it looks femine i guess that is their target market, but the amg versions and the 2009 are much better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Strange Car Spotted At Ikotun, Lagos Yesterday(pics) / $28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.