Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,818 members, 7,798,759 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76705 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by erico2k2(m): 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2010
ther is the BMW and others. grin grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2010
The ML is catching up wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2010
BlueDiva:

The ML is catching up wink

ML only wish . . . .
If ML wins, that means Iwu conducted the poll
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 30, 2010
I know for sure Dagrin's life would have been saved if only he drove an MB on that fateful day, grin grin grin grin
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2010
Fhemmmy:

ML only wish . . . .
If ML wins, that means Iwu conducted the poll

Iwu on nairaland ke?

give one reason not to believe other polls on this site wasn't conducted by him?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2010
Ranks007:

Iwu on nairaland ke?

give one reason not to believe other polls on this site wasn't conducted by him?

Lol . . . .
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2010
CHANCEMAN:

Sienna , all of that is just semantics ,it is not proven that a monocoque bodyshell is better than a ladder chassis ,if that was the case it would have become the standard in the market , these cars are off-roaders as well and mud-plugging is part of what we expect from them especially in  nigeria.

It's "Siena", with a single "n". wink

A monocoque bodyshell is better than a body-on-ladder chassis - it offers more refinement. A ladder chassis is mainly used on trucks and light commercials. Most of the SUV's today started with a ladder chasis, but a lot have moved over to monocoque. A ladder chassis may be best off-road, but the fact is, how many people would buy these expensive SUV's, mainly for green laning, and mud trialing? Very few! Most would buy for comfort and refinement - the odd times these SUV's will spend off-road will hardly justify sacrificing comfort for something that's quite agricultural in design.

I know we have bad roads in Nigeria, but most of the time, these SUV's will spend most of their time on tarmac. Ladders are less civilised on the open road, monocoques more so. Which is why the BMW X5 feels more like a car on tarmac, and handles like one too.  smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by platinumnk(f): 8:30pm On Apr 30, 2010
LOL thanks BlueDiva for keeping it sane smiley

BlueDiva:

I choose to be the bigger lady 'cos of Siena.

'an car enthusiast'. . .still laughing  grin

Fhemmmy:

I think the XC90 is a nice ri but de.
Performance comes with power, and all u have to do is step on that gas and you cld move from 0 - 70M/hr within couple of minutes.
It comes with safety
Roomy
Busy dash with enuf toys for everyone.
Price is not bad at all.

But the great power comes from the huge Engiine that needs gas for her good perfomance.

But still cant be compared with Q7 machine  tongue

its very cool, but guzzles gas, you are so right.

Siena:

The Volvo XC90 I haven't included here, as I wanted to compare SUV's with similar engine / transmission layouts. The Volvo XC90 has the engine / transmission mounted transversely (east to west) so is more comparable with a Landrover Freelander, Honda CRV. Toyota RAV 4 or Nissan X-Trail. The SUV contenders here all have their engine / transmission mounted longitudonally (north to south) as is common in rear-wheel drive vehicles.
You compared it to a RAV4, is that in performance also?
Despite your engine statistics I Think it should be higher classed than what you placed it.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Kay999(m): 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2010
@Siena

Let me first say i'm impressed by your wealth of knowledge about cars, i hope u'll continue to share your knowledge and experience on this forum.

I believe when you started this thread, u wanted people to choose based on their personal preference and/or experience with either of the cars.

But it seems some people are choosing based on sentiments, which has led to some petty arguments and name calling.

In order to make the poll more of objective, can i suggest that u specify some criteria to judge the cars by. E.g. Overall driving experience, off-road capability, aesthetics, maintainability, performance, etc.

Personally, I'll take the beemer anyday. I think they go the extra mile in making their cars more enjoyable for the driver.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2010
platinumnk:

You compared it to a RAV4, is that in performance also?

I compared the Volvo XC90 to the Toyota RAV 4, yes. Not in terms of performance, but in terms of engine / tranny layout. wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 30, 2010
Kay999:

@Siena
Let me first say i'm impressed by your wealth of knowledge about cars, i hope u'll continue to share your knowledge and experience on this forum.
I believe when you started this thread, u wanted people to choose based on their personal preference and/or experience with either of the cars.
But it seems some people are choosing based on sentiments, which has led to some petty arguments and name calling.
In order to make the poll more of objective, can i suggest that u specify some criteria to judge the cars by. E.g. Overall driving experience, off-road capability, aesthetics, maintainability, performance, etc.
Personally, I'll take the beemer anyday. I think they go the extra mile in making their cars more enjoyable for the driver.

Thanks, Kay. Glad you're enjoying this thread, though it's brought on some banter, some friendly, some a bit more serious. But, it's all good fun. smiley

I think it's a bit too late to alter the criteria upon which these SUV's are judged. It wouldn't be fair to those that voted earlier. smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 8:50pm On Apr 30, 2010
Where are all my Q7 lovers, we cant afford to let ML win Q7 now, that will be an insult to the good rides . . . tongue
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 30, 2010
Ranks007:

Those toyota cars are fondly found here and even in the US because of its less hassle form of maintenance, affordable cost, low fuel consumption.

I get your point, but as a car enthusiast, I would hardly consider fuel consumption as a criteria. I know for some, a car's just a means of travelling from point A to B, and nothing more. I like to get about in comfort, and I like powerful cars. It's not possible to create energy without burning fuel, so I'm willing to sacrifice the extra spent at the pumps.

Maintainance? Japanese cars may have cheaper parts, but the German models may require less frequent replacement of parts - the savings soon add up. You'll often find over time, both the Japanese and German models will have the same spent on them. The only reason the Jap models may be cheaper to look after is the length of time the owners keep them. Some car owners replace their cars every three years.

Ranks007:

As far as I can remember its only a MB engine can drive up 6months without giving you headache even when the engine oil is not changed. Don't forget MB is the first car that came with the bucket seats. If you have an accident in an MB the chances of severe damages to the human body are so slim even when the car ends up like a rumpled N20  wink

I'm glad you used the term "as far as you can remember". Because even the cheaper modern cars will do a lot of miles on the same oil before service is due. I work in the service department, and can tell you even a car as cheap as a 2003 Renault Clio 1,4L 16 valve has the oil service every 18,000 miles! 12,00 miles represents on average a year's motoring. 18,000 miles is a year and a half's worth. Cars now run up to 20,000 miles between services, with no oil inspection in between!  So, not sure what cars you're referring to as "giving headache if the oil's not changed every 6 months". If a car needs an oil change every 6 months to be reliable, then that car shouldn't be on the road. Heck, my 2 horsepower lawn mower doesn't get an oil change till the year's over, and still running strong!  cheesy

Please show real life incidents where a Mercedes-Benz has been smashed, and the passenger cell has protected the occupants better than an equivalent size car, especially a German one? Crash tests are rated by a maximum of 5 stars, which most modern cars will achieve. If you're talking about safety outside the normal crash testing, in everyday road situations, then I think you'll find Saab and Volvo are hard to beat, even by Mercedes-Benz.  wink

Ranks007:

Do you have any idea about the origin of the adage below;
There are only two cars in the world an MB and others, before football fanatics started glorifying fav. clubsides with it, t'was copyrighted from a car, no other but MB.

That quote was indeed used in Mercedes-Benz literature. However, it means little, in the grand scheme of things. It's a marketing strategy, and not an actual fact. Quotations seldom mirror fact by the manufacturers. Mercedes-Benz of today are nowhere near as tough or reliable as their older models - ending with the W124 series (V-boot) last produced in 1995/6. The Mercedes-Benz quote was one that kept owners and loyal fans happy, but beyond that, it means little, even less considering the automobile industry has since moved on.

Ranks007:

BOTTOMLINE: So if Nigerians use MB as it is, it  doesn't mean it is cheap to afford or its maintenance is cheap either, but for the ruggedity, respect & elegance, style and class it belongs to. There is an adage that goes though it's not really true, "A man who owns a Benz is rich". It's hard to prove that cos, some folks with little or less money will want to feel among the class benz is known for. Benz is really for the rich.

Respect and elegance, yes. Ruggedness? Hardly. There are tougher cars out there at a fraction of the cost.

Ranks007:

I put it to you, if MB is not mainly for the rich, why is every MB car in its class costlier than its counterparts in BM?

We're digressing here - How did we come to be debating if a Mercedes-Benz is for the rich, or if the equivalent BMW model is cheaper or more expensive?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 3:05am On May 01, 2010
Siena and co are using terminologies to sway the voters cheesy
I'm a lay man but i can vouch for the Mercedes brand. A decade  of reliability and performance.
I hope to upgrade to the G wagen soonest.

i'm going to scout for more ML lovers so we can win the poll. . .lol
The ML rocks!!!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by hbrednic: 4:08am On May 01, 2010
@siena
if you want value 4 your money,just do the right thing  cheesy
yes ML  grin grin grin.get it,love it,it wont disappoint.
forget BM with their electrical wahala.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Ojame(m): 4:54am On May 01, 2010
Read with great interest the many comments in support of, or against, MB and BMW. Have thought carefully about my personal experience with both. Totally respect my fellow deltan's experience and knowledge, but?

Got to say guys and girls, MB rocks me any time wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Fhemmmy: 6:17am On May 01, 2010
hbrednic:

@siena

MB is too boring and no fine style till the newer generation ones . . .
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:42am On May 01, 2010
hbrednic:

@siena

Value for money, by buying an ML? Hardly. Pricing is very similar to the X5, and as per electrical gremlins? Go onto ML and X5 forums, and see what owners have to say about their SUV's.

You're a ML fan which is great. But, there's no such thing as "the right thing" when it comes to making a choice - you buy what suits you, and no one else. wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:51am On May 01, 2010
BlueDiva:

Siena and co are using terminologies to sway the voters cheesy
I'm a lay man but i can vouch for the Mercedes brand. A decade  of reliability and performance.
I hope to upgrade to the G wagen soonest.

i'm going to scout for more ML lovers so we can win the poll
. . .lol
The ML rocks!!!

Not using terminologies - using fact. Reliability was one of Mercedes-Benz's finer points, but not of late. Being in the industry allows me to observe what the end user doesn't.

You need to "scout for more ML lovers" to win a poll?  cheesy Doesn't that tell you something, Diva?  grin

When you say, you can vouch for Mercedes-Benz, what's that based on? Personal experience, or an in-depth knowledge of the product? Is it about sentiment, brand loyalty, or factual technical knowledge? Because, I don't just go on sentiment or brand loyalty, else I'd be rooting for the Audi Q7, as Audi's always been my favourite - I've owned 37 models of the marque to-date. wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by triistar86: 8:31am On May 01, 2010
@ siena U almost got me moved by all the core stuffs about the X5 and the ML but I remain unshaken, come what may if I am ready to get my SUV today I would gladly and happily roll out in an ML. . . .

In conclusion I remain loyal to The Mercedes brand wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:02am On May 01, 2010
Siena:

I get your point, but as a car enthusiast, I would hardly consider fuel consumption as a criteria. I know for some, a car's just a means of travelling from point A to B, and nothing more. I like to get about in comfort, and I like powerful cars. It's not possible to create energy without burning fuel, so I'm willing to sacrifice the extra spent at the pumps.

Maintainance? Japanese cars may have cheaper parts, but the German models may require less frequent replacement of parts - the savings soon add up. You'll often find over time, both the Japanese and German models will have the same spent on them. The only reason the Jap models may be cheaper to look after is the length of time the owners keep them. Some car owners replace their cars every three years.

I'm glad you used the term "as far as you can remember". Because even the cheaper modern cars will do a lot of miles on the same oil before service is due. I work in the service department, and can tell you even a car as cheap as a 2003 Renault Clio 1,4L 16 valve has the oil service every 18,000 miles! 12,00 miles represents on average a year's motoring. 18,000 miles is a year and a half's worth. Cars now run up to 20,000 miles between services, with no oil inspection in between!  So, not sure what cars you're referring to as "giving headache if the oil's not changed every 6 months". If a car needs an oil change every 6 months to be reliable, then that car shouldn't be on the road. Heck, my 2 horsepower lawn mower doesn't get an oil change till the year's over, and still running strong!  cheesy

Please show real life incidents where a Mercedes-Benz has been smashed, and the passenger cell has protected the occupants better than an equivalent size car, especially a German one? Crash tests are rated by a maximum of 5 stars, which most modern cars will achieve. If you're talking about safety outside the normal crash testing, in everyday road situations, then I think you'll find Saab and Volvo are hard to beat, even by Mercedes-Benz.  wink

That quote was indeed used in Mercedes-Benz literature. However, it means little, in the grand scheme of things. It's a marketing strategy, and not an actual fact. Quotations seldom mirror fact by the manufacturers. Mercedes-Benz of today are nowhere near as tough or reliable as their older models - ending with the W124 series (V-boot) last produced in 1995/6. The Mercedes-Benz quote was one that kept owners and loyal fans happy, but beyond that, it means little, even less considering the automobile industry has since moved on.

Respect and elegance, yes. Ruggedness? Hardly. There are tougher cars out there at a fraction of the cost.

We're digressing here - How did we come to be debating if a Mercedes-Benz is for the rich, or if the equivalent BMW model is cheaper or more expensive?

Siena, so you had all this knowledge and still wanted advice? To me, you don't seem to look for one. I will agree with some of your points, but the issue of servicing & ruggedness- that I will not, not that persons don't try it, ofcourse alot of them do it, but is the average durability of your engine expected? To any average car just like you mentioned, it can be done, if compared to an MB engine on the same course of maintenance it won't survive three years.

to the issue of ruggedness, I want you to mention any new generation car that has "ruggedness" as one of its selling points?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:06am On May 01, 2010
Watching the poll, I like ML no doubt but I can never trade the ML, X5, Q7, Range Rover to the MB G500 AMG, ask Mr.  Tinubu why he owns two at a blow.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by emmanuel71: 11:29am On May 01, 2010
i think bmw x6 is da best.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by elseohjay(m): 12:27pm On May 01, 2010
The X6 is terrible experiment gone bad period. What the heck was that shocked
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by DOnlooker(m): 1:42pm On May 01, 2010
Jeez ! ain't anybody here seen the PORSCHE CAYENNE ? Well, we in Germany knows that the Cayenne is the King of all German SUVs and it leads with a big gap ! But then, I'm not surprised, I haven't seen much Porsche Rides in Naija since I've been visiting.
The Porsche Cayenne is the ultimate of all German SUVs, beats all the rest in all categories during the recent SUV tests. Its not for people with class or that want class. Its for the Elite and Style Pioneers.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 3:51pm On May 01, 2010
Fhemmmy:

MB is too boring and no fine style till the newer generation ones . . .

That is becos you are in nigeria where everyone dies to own a benz car so you see lots of them mostly in bad condition, there is nothing boring about the old design.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 3:58pm On May 01, 2010
D-Onlooker:

Jeez ! ain't anybody here seen the PORSCHE CAYENNE ? Well, we in Germany knows that the Cayenne is the King of all German SUVs and it leads with a big gap ! But then, I'm not surprised, I haven't seen much Porsche Rides in Naija since I've been visiting.
The Porsche Cayenne is the ultimate of all German SUVs, beats all the rest in all categories during the recent SUV tests. Its not for people with class or that want class. Its for the Elite and Style Pioneers.

Yeah agreed it is expensive being a porsche but the superiority in performance that you are claiming does not justify the price difference with its competition and one thing about cars their resale values will tell you alot about the publics perception of a car and i do not think the resale value of both the ml and x5 i sbetter than that of the cayenne and i thought i just heard they had recalled one of their models recently.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by CHANCEMAN: 4:02pm On May 01, 2010
Siena to be fair you also need to hoghleght
Siena:

Not using terminologies - using fact. Reliability was one of Mercedes-Benz's finer points, but not of late. Being in the industry allows me to observe what the end user doesn't.

You need to "scout for more ML lovers" to win a poll? cheesy Doesn't that tell you something, Diva? grin

When you say, you can vouch for Mercedes-Benz, what's that based on? Personal experience, or an in-depth knowledge of the product? Is it about sentiment, brand loyalty, or factual technical knowledge? Because, I don't just go on sentiment or brand loyalty, else I'd be rooting for the Audi Q7, as Audi's always been my favourite - I've owned 37 models of the marque to-date. wink
Siena:

You need to "scout for more ML lovers" to win a poll? cheesy Doesn't that tell you something, Diva? grin

Sienna since you are highlighting the problems of the ml you also need to highlight those of the x5 or are there no customer complaints about the x5?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 01, 2010
Ranks007:

Siena, so you had all this knowledge and still wanted advice?

Bro, you're missing the point - I didn't want advice on which to buy, ML or X5. I know what I want. I just wanted to know what others would choose, for themselves. I didn't start this thread to help me choose which model to go for.

All in, it's an interesting topic, I'm sure you'd agree. wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 01, 2010
Siena:

Bro, you're missing the point - I didn't want advice on which to buy, ML or X5. I know what I want. I just wanted to know what others would choose, for themselves. I didn't start this thread to help me choose which model to go for.

All in, it's an interesting topic, I'm sure you'd agree. wink

Sure I do, bro
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by DOnlooker(m): 8:59pm On May 01, 2010
CHANCEMAN:

Yeah agreed it is expensive being a porsche but the superiority in performance that you are claiming does not justify the price difference with its competition and one thing about cars their resale values will tell you alot about the publics perception of a car and i do not think the resale value of both the ml and x5 i sbetter than that of the cayenne and i thought i just heard they had recalled one of their models recently.
Well Dude, the price explains why it is a Porsche, not for everybody. And I can tell you, its worth every Cent of what its priced.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:36am On May 02, 2010
Midas02:

Siena, I have a very interesting proposal that would interest you. I have given it some thought and I think you will like it.
I will appreciate it if you email me. Or you may simply pass me your email.
Thanks.

Thanks, Midas. Feel free to edit / remove your email address, replied.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Strange Car Spotted At Ikotun, Lagos Yesterday(pics) / $28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.