Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? (76736 Views)

Poll: What's Your Preference?

BMW X5: 43% (52 votes)
Mercedes Benz ML: 32% (39 votes)
Audi Q7: 16% (20 votes)
Volkswagen Touareg: 6% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Honda Accord 2005 Model V6 Vs Mercedes Benz C240 2003 Model / Toyota Camry 1997 2.2 Xle Vs Bmw E36(318i) Vs Mercedes C220 / Bmw760li Vs. Mercedes S63 The Beast Versus The Wild Cat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by eros(m): 4:00pm On May 02, 2010
BMW versus M.B.

After an 9 page bout/comment, plus results gathered from the poll;

The winner is BMW, X6 by Lumma cool cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 4:49pm On May 02, 2010
^^^ Lol. The X6 is actually growing on me, but in realistic terms, it's way out of my price range, compared to an X5 or even ML. smiley
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 11:02pm On May 02, 2010
@Siena - Did you get to do the test drives? I stopped posting a few days ago because my post was tagged as spam and I'm too lazy to go back and read all the posts.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:56am On May 03, 2010
Wallie:

@Siena - Did you get to do the test drives? I stopped posting a few days ago because my post was tagged as spam and I'm too lazy to go back and read all the posts.

I've test driven a 2010 BMW X5 4,8L V8 non-turbo, as well as an Audi Q7 4,2L V8. Both these SUV's produce the same output - 350 hp, and as one would expect, both delivered very similar performance. The Audi however, had stock suspension, while the BMW had the optional Sport package, which is lower and stiffer than normal. So, the X5 had the edge in corners, the Q7 had more body roll in the twisties, and in terms of driving on smooth roads, with comfort the main criteria, the Audi would suit most.

For enthusiastic driving, the X5 was more sure-footed and would be my choice. I suppose to make it even, one would have to test two similarly-equipped models (in terms of suspension). Ipswich Audi will contact me when they have a Q7 with the optional Sport package as a demonstrator, but for now, the X5 has the edge. I did push the X5 hard, if the saleswoman was in the car with me during the test drive, she's have brought up her lunch!  wink

Will test drive the Porsche and Touareg when I get the time, and probably the X6. Between work and preparing for the arrival of Mini Siena, my time has to be delegated accordingly.  wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Wallie(m): 2:25pm On May 03, 2010
If you're mostly concerned about power, I would say that you should go for the 2011 X5 as the power on paper increased by 50HP and 100 lbs ft of torque. IRL, the difference between the XDrive48i and the XDrive50i will be night and day! But I'm sure that the deals to be had on the 2010 are going to be crazy which will make them hard to pass up. But keep in mind that the 2011 will be more desirable in the future and that will unreasonably depress the price of the 2010.

My only hope is that the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) issues that have been plaguing the N54s have been resolved in the N55s because the HPFP will probably be the same as in the V8TT. But I've not yet heard horror stories about the V8TT. Regardless, I will be getting the XDrive50i and I will be modifying it past X5M power levels.

I drove the Q7 when it first came out and wasn't impressed. My guess is that some of it had to do with it being a full size SUV and the X5 being mid-sized.

I don’t like the fact that the new Cayenne got smaller and is now looking like a Hyundai (nothing against Hyundai’s). I guess I have to wait to see it IRL.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by eros(m): 3:13pm On May 03, 2010
Hey guys post your comment and pictures on the thread below. It is specially dedicated to the BMW X6 BY LUMMA. I am so in love with that ride and if need be, i will work my fingers to bones just to get me one.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-440951.0.html#msg5991347
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by eros(m): 3:18pm On May 03, 2010
Siena:

^^^ Lol. The X6 is actually growing on me, but in realistic terms, it's way out of my price range, compared to an X5 or even ML. smiley

Siena, do you know how much the BMW X6 by Lumma is? Plus what year was it first produced? Please post a complete detail on the ride, it has completely taken over my mind.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 6:07pm On May 03, 2010
^^^ No worries, Eros. Will sort something out when I get home.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by hbrednic: 2:18am On May 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

MB is too boring and no fine style till the newer generation ones . . .
you are right fhemmmy,i was actaully talking of the new generation ML,the old ones looks like a badly panel-beated box.
just too ugly 4 my liken.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by hbrednic: 3:01am On May 04, 2010
Siena:

Value for money, by buying an ML? Hardly. Pricing is very similar to the X5, and as per electrical gremlins? Go onto ML and X5 forums, and see what owners have to say about their SUV's.

You're a ML fan which is great. But, there's no such thing as "the right thing" when it comes to making a choice - you buy what suits you, and no one else. wink
no sir,right now my loyalty lies with the range.
i have had both the x3 and x5 ( probably the 1st person to use the x3 in lagos).i had issues with both vehicles or maybe i am being too sentimental,
because i have never returned home and meet the vehicles in the same condition they were,when i left.no thanks to my inlaw angry
i am yet to step into any ML,but the newer ones are very appealing.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:32am On May 04, 2010
hbrednic:

no sir,right now my loyalty lies with the range.
i have had both the x3 and x5 ( probably the 1st person to use the x3 in lagos).i had issues with both vehicles or maybe i am being too sentimental,
because i have never returned home and meet the vehicles in the same condition they were,when i left.no thanks to my inlaw angry
i am yet to step into any ML,but the newer ones are very appealing.

That's great. Will be nice to get your perspective on the 2nd generation ML. Keep us posted! smiley

Sorry to hear about your issues with your BMW X-series - it's hard instilling the enthusiast spirit into people to whom a car's just a means of getting from A to B. Hope you get them back in good shape!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by harakiri(m): 8:29pm On May 05, 2010
Wallie:

If you're mostly concerned about power, I would say that you should go for the 2011 X5 as the power on paper increased by 50HP and 100 lbs ft of torque. IRL, the difference between the XDrive48i and the XDrive50i will be night and day! But I'm sure that the deals to be had on the 2010 are going to be crazy which will make them hard to pass up. But keep in mind that the 2011 will be more desirable in the future and that will unreasonably depress the price of the 2010.

My only hope is that the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) issues that have been plaguing the N54s have been resolved in the N55s because the HPFP will probably be the same as in the V8TT. But I've not yet heard horror stories about the V8TT. Regardless, I will be getting the XDrive50i and I will be modifying it past X5M power levels.

I drove the Q7 when it first came out and wasn't impressed. My guess is that some of it had to do with it being a full size SUV and the X5 being mid-sized.

I don’t like the fact that the new Cayenne got smaller and is now looking like a Hyundai (nothing against Hyundai’s). I guess I have to wait to see it IRL.

I thought i was the only one who noticed.Personally, i was disappointed with the cayenne from the get go.When i heard the first gen was coming out years ago, i expected the shape to be similar to the current FX50 or X6. . .the only "Porsche" look about it are the head lights,brake pads/calipers and the interior.Every other thing is VW and their current model doesn't cut it at all.

In between, what's the Porsche and main streaming these days.As if the cayenne adventure wasn't bad enough, they have now released a Porsche sedan.What's next? Ferrari,Lamborghini and Koenngisegg will follow suit and produce a Ferrari SUV? This truly the end of the world!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by komekn(m): 2:27am On May 06, 2010
In comparing these two SUV’s there is emphasis in speed, agility and power, however if we bring into this discussion the context of location then things become dramatically different.

Let me explain the Range Rover Sport, ML63 and the X5 M sport, the suspension is just too hard its road biased, having driven all three on UK roads, my view is if I drive my usual route Lagos to Warri, which is far from smooth tarmac I will arrive fatigued and somewhat worn out on account of that hard sports suspension.

What I really want to know is, how well can they the X5 and ML chop and jump gallop, for instance I remember driving a Range vogue(not sport) in 9Ja, the air suspension just glided over all those bumps, the ride was so compliant it felt so, so good. I can say for a certainty that the X5 ride was no where as smooth and compliant as the Range. I have not driven the ML in 9Ja so I cannot make an informed deduction, so those who have your comments please.

Finally my choice the Q7 4.2 V8.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 7:37am On May 08, 2010
^^^ That's an interesting slant on things, Komekn. I don't reside in Nigeria, so can't say how the sportier SUV's will fare on Nigerian roads. Will be interesting to get comments from a different (Nigerian) perspective.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Imagineers: 10:28am On May 13, 2010
Do we have any Q7 in Nigerian auto market?
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by eros(m): 10:52am On May 13, 2010
Still on the matter. . . . . . cool cool cool cool
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by candylips(m): 11:54am On May 13, 2010
we lost some posts
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 8:18am On May 16, 2010
^^^ I think we lost more than a few - most of the threads I've been watching have their ends missing.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by osy77(m): 8:29am On May 16, 2010
Benz jare angry angry angry
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by xcolanto(m): 3:27pm On May 16, 2010
Beema for life!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by BEEMERFAN(m): 11:05pm On Jul 10, 2010
I just got a BMW 540i, E39, does anyone know where I can get the interiors fixed? I want the console replaced and would appreciate a good electrician to fix the wirings. Any suggestions? Pls reply as soon as you can. I'm based in Abuja. Thanx
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by loteee: 12:20pm On Sep 28, 2010
i have driven both cars but the X5 technology is light years ahead of the merc. i currently own the 06 X5 4.4(facelift) and it is bloody fast.better running cost, maintainance, residual value, better mileage on gas, its far better than the merc all round- no comparison! beats the touareg 4.2, floors the bulky Q7, no competition for the first gen!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by olisamedua: 8:47am On Sep 30, 2010
Gentlemen, have you considered the year of the cars you are comparing?
Will it be fair to compare the '02 benz with the 05 BMW?
See attached pics of the '09 model of both cars and give your honest judgment.
Do you now see why th Benz is called the ultimate machine?

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by candylips(m): 10:45am On Oct 02, 2010
loteee:

i have driven both cars but the X5 technology is light years ahead of the merc. i currently own the 06 X5 4.4(facelift) and it is bloody fast.better running cost, maintainance, residual value, better mileage on gas, its far better than the merc all round- no comparison! beats the touareg 4.2, floors the bulky Q7, no competition for the first gen!

did u buy a new one or second hand
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 27, 2011
A year on, and it would appear BMW trounced Mercedes-Benz. wink
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by halobaba: 10:28am On Dec 31, 2011
Smiles, Please House and Monitors help me, How Much can i get a Neatly Used 2005BMW x5 in Nigeria? Please Neatly Used Thank You

halloj2000@yahoo.com
BB pin 272873F1

Pay and Use immediately Thanks
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by loteee: 5:53pm On Mar 29, 2012
Dizzybizzy: Mercedes ML any time, any day!
BMW is for those that want class, those that have class drive Mercedes. Even the MD/CEO of BMW drives a Mercedes benz.
Even the arrangement of the photos says it all. Mercedes is always on top!

how can you say the md/ ceo of bmw uses a benz? thats very false and for your info bmw ranked no 1 luxury car sales for this year beating audi, mercedes and lexus! google!!!
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by loteee: 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2012
loteee: i have driven both cars but the X5 technology is light years ahead of the merc. i currently own the 06 X5 4.4(facelift) and it is bloody fast.better running cost, maintainance, residual value, better mileage on gas, its far better than the merc all round- no comparison! beats the touareg 4.2, floors the bulky Q7, no competition for the first gen!

i totally agree with you. had the 06 facelift but sold it to my buddy and replaced with a well optioned 08 4.8. car is way ahead of any merc in terms of running costs, residual value and even maintenance. the X will out accelrate, outclass the merc anytime anyway. have driven the Q7, Touareg, ML, Porsche Cayenne turbo s, infinity fx and none comes close! bmw reigns.....others follow
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Trac: 10:04am On Mar 31, 2012
loteee: i have driven both cars but the X5 technology is light years ahead of the merc. i currently own the 06 X5 4.4(facelift) and it is bloody fast.better running cost, maintainance, residual value, better mileage on gas, its far better than the merc all round- no comparison! beats the touareg 4.2, floors the bulky Q7, no competition for the first gen!

There is no way a BMW is light-years ahead of a Merc. The only way this can be possible is from a layman's view coupled with emotions. You cannot prove this from a technological point of view. In addition to that, BMW is yet to make a V8 that is reliable; dependability at this point cannot be opinionated. Both companies are not competitors, nothing is run the same way and no auto company spends money as Mercedes does. I won't get on BMW for the mere simplicity of the question posed, but the composition of a BMW is not an alternative to any Mercedes Benz. By the way a BMW is not fully german. Many are half-german (I won't fuss with any one on that; take one apart and make draw your conclusions).

Examine combustion technology; many at this point will stumble because there is no inkling in this area. How well does it hold up over 100 mph after an extended period of time?! Chassis and how it all held in suspense; M Class is on another ball-game entirely. The X5 is unable to offroad - it isn't engineered for such and that leaves me to wonder how the price was justified. It doesn't handle well on-road (some of the 6 cylinders are known to fore-lift), it is not capabable of offroad. The M Class excels exceedingly well offroad, it is remarkable on road and you can track (close circuit) an M Class (no matter the variant) -- a mild trade-off across the board; three in one for your money. Occupancy protection is not a debate between the two.

Judge from an engineering point of view and not emotions. There is more to a vehicle than what you see. Zero-to-Sixty is all, 30 years from now, none of those BMW's will be on the road but you'll still see an ML of 1998 cruising effortlessly and engine running like new.

Will I buy an M Class? No! The M Class is of poor quality and the build is bad.
Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by Trac: 11:12am On Mar 31, 2012
loteee:

i totally agree with you. had the 06 facelift but sold it to my buddy and replaced with a well optioned 08 4.8. car is way ahead of any merc in terms of running costs, residual value and even maintenance. the X will out accelrate, outclass the merc anytime anyway. have driven the Q7, Touareg, ML, Porsche Cayenne turbo s, infinity fx and none comes close! bmw reigns.....others follow

-- quite frankly! I am wondering the Porsche you drove. In politeness and respect due, you don't make sense. I find it difficult to comprehend how a person got into a Porsche Turbo S, drove it, got out and concluded on a BMW X5 (even if you don't understand anything about cars). That Cayenne dials in and takes a set with extraordinary transient stability; a feat the X5 will not achieve even if you tune it. Under longitudinal acceleration under any given speed, the X5 is a laughing joke compared to how power is delivered under any given gear; and need I mention -- with ease. It's funny how you sat and did not observe the build of the vehicle. You cannot miss this. Everything is finesse, even as you track.

Maintenance wise: The Porsche was designed to be durable, the X5 is not. The Porsche goes on-road, off-road and on track and it does well on all three. It off-roads almost as the Range Rover would. Keep in mind that I did not compare it to the Range Rover Sport (which lacks to a degree the off-road agility of the normal Ranger).

Cost wise: "Everyone" has a BMW. People don't keep them. BMW pays for repairs in first ownership as warranty and when the lease is over, it's not worth it.

I never liked off-road vehicles. After the Turbo S, I made an exception and I recommend it to anyone that will listen on purchase choices. You will have to drive one to draw a conclusion. In my opinion, it is a 911 in another form-factor. It feels and handles like one plus it is comfortable. It took the 911's mannerisms. To date, I still wonder how Porsche made manifest of this. Porsche has always been about "mind-disturbing" innovations throughout the decades. The Cayenne is to be in the mid to late $100,000 but its affiliation with VW has helped to keep the price low without having to compromise. Years from now, you will not see the X5's on the road.

To debunk your claims wrt to the ML, let's examine performance stats.

2007 BMW X5 4.8i E70

Max speed 241 kph (149.42 mph)
0 - 100 kph 6.5 s
0 - 100 mph 16.0 s
1/8 mile 9.6 s @ 78 mph

2007 Mercedes ML 500

Max speed 250 kph (155 mph)
0 - 100 kph 6.0 s
0 - 100 mph 14.1 s
1/8 mile 9.2 s @ 79 mph

From the stats, in translation to the layman's understanding, approx. 2.5 car lengths and more in the 0-100 and a car length in the 1/8 test. The 6 cylinders were pitiful. The combustion technology are world apart.

For the rest of the vehicles you compared the BMW against, yields in return mere logic.

1 Like

Re: BMW X5 Vs Mercedes-Benz ML - Which Would You Choose? by carmoney: 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2012
I'll take a BMW only because of the horsepower and price ignoring its offroad limitations. The disadvantage is that a BMW looses value much faster than a MERCEDES. Buying one and driving out the shop already reduces its value by 30%.
But it can be compared to a merc (depends on which one).
The days of the "benz myth" are numbered 'cos Beemers stepped up a notch and the prices are still plausible (thats a key factor why they outsold the competition 2010 and 2011 ).
Its just a kinda better and cheaper merc.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Strange Car Spotted At Ikotun, Lagos Yesterday(pics) / $28m Rolls Royce Boat-Tail: World's Most Expensive Car (Photos) / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.