Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:39 AM

My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help (9362 Views)

My Car Smokes And Short Oil Because After Changing Oil Any Remedy / Toyota Camry 1999 Smokes And Jerks: Sweet Testimony / Toyota Camry 99 V6: Smokes And Jerkes, Pls Help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by llade(m): 12:25pm On Apr 26, 2010
I have a 1999 model camry XLE ( ie Tiny light with v6 engine). I observe lately that if I leave out the car under the sun for a long time (having not started it for the whole day) and start it under the scorching sun I observe that immediately I start the car, blue smoke will come out of the exhaust pipe and dissappear after a few seconds, I c no smoke when i fire it after wards and even when the engine is hot. Please help me with valuable advice on what the problem is?
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2010
If this smoke only appears upon start-up, and after the car's been stood for a while, then I'd say your valve stem seals are worn. If it were worn piston rings or bores (an expensive fix!) then your engine would smoke all the time, and the smoke would increase with engine RPM and load.

Valve stem seal replacement isn't a terribly complicated job, you're looking at at least 7 hours labour, if the cylinder heads are removed to do the job, or 2 hours if your mechanic is savvy enough to do the job with both cylinder heads in situ. If the cylinder heads need to be removed, then budget for a top-end gasket set:

(1) Head gaskets x 2.

(2) Intake manifold gaskets x 2.
(3) Exhaust manifold gaskets x 2.
(4) Valve stem seals x 24.
(5) Cylinder head bolt set.
(6) Rocker cover gaskets x 2.
(7) Camshaft seals.
(cool Camshaft chain tensioner and guides.

If your mechanic's doing the job with the cylinder heads in situ, then the above parts apply, bar those in red. Best of luck in getting her sorted.

1 Like

Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by llade(m): 1:00pm On Apr 26, 2010
Thanks Siena, I observe the Blue smoke upon start up sometimes whenever the car has been under the sun for a long while. Please if I dont fix the valve seals immediately will there be any more complications to the engine.
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2010
llade:

Thanks Siena, I observe the Blue smoke upon start up sometimes whenever the car has been under the sun for a long while. Please if I dont fix the valve seals immediately will there be any more complications to the engine.

There won't be any serious complications, though your fuel consumption will increase, as well as your engine's thirst for oil. You'll have to monitor the oil level more often.
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by zuker: 1:49pm On Jul 23, 2011
Sienna, U er just the Man, I need your help ooo. My Camry 03 just stopped on speed when travelling and was later discovered that the timing chain has cut. I had to abandone the car in IB. the mechanic we could see worked on it, fixed it but the engine vibrates in stop/traffic. i am afraid travelling with the car back to Lag now cos i have spent alot and wouldnt want it to stop on the road again. what do i do, can you recommend any solution as the mechanic was saying something about cylinder or change of engine, though he assured me the car would get to lag. the final destination of this car is Abuja
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by sultaan(m): 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2011
zuker:

Sienna, U er just the Man, I need your help ooo. My Camry 03 just stopped on speed when travelling and was later discovered that the timing chain has cut. I had to abandone the car in IB. the mechanic we could see worked on it, fixed it but the engine vibrates in stop/traffic.  i am afraid travelling with the car back to Lag now cos i have spent alot and wouldnt want it to stop on the road again. what do i do, can you recommend any solution as the mechanic was saying something about cylinder or change of engine, though he assured me the car would get to lag. the final destination of this car is Abuja

First time I have ever heard a chain break, its not a good thing for interference engines.Replacing chain and bent valves is something your mech would have done.It is rare for a chain to break but does happen.
If you don't know what he did,  check timing and valves, or change engine/head
I don't want to believe your chain broke but your drive belt.Get a second opinion

llade:

I have a 1999 model camry XLE ( ie Tiny light with v6 engine). I observe lately that if I leave out the car under the sun for a long time (having not started it for the whole day) and start it under the scorching sun I observe that immediately I start the car, blue smoke will come out of the exhaust pipe and dissappear after a few seconds, I c no smoke when i fire it after wards and even when the engine is hot. Please help me with valuable advice on what the problem is?

How is your coolant level? Smoke is caused by leaky seals(blue), leaky/dirty injectors(black smoke), and coolant leak into engine(white smoke).

Its done, you can either try fix it , change to synthetic oil or live with it(if engine had a leak prior it will get worse)
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by Ikenna351(m): 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2011
zuker:

Sienna, U er just the Man, I need your help ooo. My Camry 03 just stopped on speed when travelling and was later discovered that the timing chain has cut. I had to abandone the car in IB. the mechanic we could see worked on it, fixed it but the engine vibrates in stop/traffic. i am afraid travelling with the car back to Lag now cos i have spent alot and wouldnt want it to stop on the road again. what do i do, can you recommend any solution as the mechanic was saying something about cylinder or change of engine, though he assured me the car would get to lag. the final destination of this car is Abuja

Your car engine dosent have timing chain, rather, timing belt.

Did your mechanic replaced the valves when he replaced the broken belt? Trust me! Broken timing belts on high speed send valves to graveyards. At, least, some of the valves must have bent or become unuseable.

Next time, dont learn through the hardway, at high cost. Replace your timing belt every 20k kilometers, considering the low quality of spare parts in Nigerian markets.

Ikenna.
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by sultaan(m): 11:51pm On Jul 27, 2011
Ikenna351:

Your car engine dosent have timing chain, rather, timing belt.

Did your mechanic replaced the valves when he replaced the broken belt? Trust me! Broken timing belts on high speed send valves to graveyards. At, least, some of the valves must have bent or become unuseable.

Next time, dont learn through the hardway, at high cost. Replace your timing belt every 20k kilometers, considering the low quality of spare parts in Nigerian markets.

Ikenna.

Actually the 03 Camry uses a timing chain.
It would have been making some noise before failure, chains usually stretch first and the rubbing will make noise.
The car must have about 200, 000 miles on it. Lack of lubrication also affects chains.

Chains will usually go over 150k miles before showing signs of wear, belt are due for change every 60k miles,with new water pump.

OP should be sure of what broke, and repair as suggested.
Re: My Toyota Camry Smokes And I Dont Know What The Problem Is Please Help by EVEREST91: 1:15pm On Oct 27, 2016
i have a 2000 toyota camry and the connecting rod is making noise when the car engin is on like a knocking sound. so i want to change the connecting rod. but can i still use the old rings to couple the engin after changing the connecting rod because my care is not smoking... pkease i need advice.

(1) (Reply)

4 Months Registered 2014 Toyota Camry SE N3.2M Ibadan / Clean 010 Venza Reg Leather With Revcam, Nav V6 Now Jst 2.850m See Pix.. / Mercedes Benz E320 E-class 2000 Model,lagos Port Tokunbo,900k Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.