Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency (17115 Views)

Peter Obi: I Did Not Donate N1 Billion To COVID-19 Relief Fund / Peter Obi: I Used 22-car Convoy As Governor Until I Found Out 13 Were Empty / Court Sentences Calistus Obi To 7 Years Imprisonment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by deji17: 10:16pm On Feb 26, 2018
I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency - Ex-Acting Director General

A former Acting Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Calistus Obi, on Monday admitted that part of the N331million belonging to the agency which he was alleged to have diverted was used to build an hotel.

He made the revelation during his cross-examination at his on-going trial over the before Justice Mojisola Olatoregun of a Federal High Court in Lagos.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had on April 12, 2016, arraigned Obi, alongside one, Alu Dismas, a former personal assistant to the immediate past DG of NIMASA, Patrick Akpobolokemi, and two firms, before the court on an 8-count charge of converting N331 million belonging to agency for personal use.

Calistus Nwabueze
The two firms involved are: Grand Pact Limited and Global Sea Investment.

While being cross-examined by the EFCC's lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, the witness, who was also a former NIMASA Executive Director, Maritime Labor and Cabotage Service, disclosed that he transferred part of the diverted money to a firm known as Seastroke International, which built an hotel for him in Asaba, Delta state.

He however claimed he has refunded the money when asked to do so by the EFCC.

"I used part of the money to build my hotel constructed by Seastroke International. But the money has since been refunded to the EFCC.

"The hotel is located somewhere in Asaba, Delta state. I can't recollect the address now. The building is completed and is already functioning. The title document of the hotel is being processed, but I have the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) and I can produce it before the court", he said.

At this juncture, Obi's lawyer, Wale Akoni (SAN) expressed his disapproval of Oyedepo's questioning his client about the title document of the hotel.

He said: "My lord, I am opposed to this line of questioning by the prosecution's lawyer. The ownership of the hotel is not an issue in these proceedings. The prosecution is only trying to device means of seizing the title document through the back door".

In his response, EFCC's lawyer, Rotimi Oyedepo, urged the court to allow him continue with his enquiry about the hotel saying the witness had already admitted deploying part of the allegedly diverted money to building it.

"The witness has admitted that part of the funds allegedly diverted by him was used in building the hotel that is now functioning. At the end of this case, the law as it stands today empowers my lord to forfeit property acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity.

"Section 30 of the EFCC's Act empowers the court to forfeits proceeds of unlawful activity. I urge the court to allow us ask questions that will lead to the recovery of the title document so that it can form part of the court's record", Oyedepo said.

In a bench ruling, the court while dismissing Akoni's objections held that "the questions asked on the title document is in order and the issue of the EFCC trying to forcefully seize it does not arise".

Further hearing in the matter has been adjourned to March 7 by 12noon.

In the charge marked FHC/L/148C/16, the accused persons were said to have committed the offence on August 5, 2014.

They were said to have conspired to convert the said sum which is the property of NIMASA, and knowing same to be proceeds of stealing.

The offence is said to be contravention of the provisions of Sections 15 and 18(a) of the Money Laundering Prohibition (Amendment) Act, 2012.

http://saharareporters.com/2018/02/26/i-built-my-hotel-funds-diverted-nigerian-maritime-agency-ex-acting-director-general

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by micfoley: 10:18pm On Feb 26, 2018
May God punish all these looters. I just wish government could recover all this money and immediately deploy it to projects like railways and power

35 Likes

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by deji17: 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2018
This is why Buhari must not contest the 2019 Election..

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by deji17: 10:29pm On Feb 26, 2018
micfoley:
May God punish all these looters. I just wish government could recover all this money and immediately deploy it to projects like railways and power

Many projects are currently on going. It's just that a lot of these capital projects takes upward of 3 / 4 / 5 years to complete. And that is after Engineering, Procurment and Construction award.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by NwaNimo1(m): 10:32pm On Feb 26, 2018
Ok
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by REDshouse(m): 10:40pm On Feb 26, 2018
Awon ole onijekuje

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by rottennaija(m): 11:05pm On Feb 26, 2018
deji17:

Did you read the article?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by rottennaija(m): 11:06pm On Feb 26, 2018
micfoley:

How long do you think it takes to finish a project like rail way?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by kettykings: 11:07pm On Feb 26, 2018
The case of a man who bought 2 mansions in Dubai and is still serving in the Army is still not solved , but EFCC will pretend that they know nothing about it

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by deji17: 11:15pm On Feb 26, 2018
rottennaija:

Did you read the article?

Yes, I read the article, which made me understand why looters will fight with everything they have in order to prevent Buhari from running again in 2019.
Looters also have realised that their best bet is for Buhari not to run, because if he contest, he will win. grin grin grin grin grin

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by yarimo(m): 12:28am On Feb 27, 2018
No place for fraudulent and dubious people, Sai BABA BUHARI til 2023. Looters and other criminals minded ones beware

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by dondo83(m): 12:33am On Feb 27, 2018
Sigh
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by MIKOLOWISKA: 12:39am On Feb 27, 2018
dem no sabi pass hotel?
why not leverage bank loan and return the capital
why not do same for factory that creates jobs
such brainless lazy scum

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Balyz: 12:41am On Feb 27, 2018
Flat headed pigs must come in defence of one of their own

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by ItsTutsi(m): 12:51am On Feb 27, 2018
delusional flat.heads will avoid this thread and turn a blind eye
Balyz:
Flat headed pigs must come in defence of one of their own

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Kog45(m): 1:22am On Feb 27, 2018
kettykings:
The case of a man who bought 2 mansions in Dubai and is still serving in the Army is still not solved , but EFCC will pretend that they know nothing about it
Honestly you are a typical Nigerian

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by deji17: 2:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Kog45:
Honestly you are a typical Nigerian

You dey mind those people? Their childish rants that they can not present before a judge.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Nobody: 6:15am On Feb 27, 2018
Wailers would soon come out to defend this thief as they always do. They would shout witchhunting. That's why I love those that will never defend a looter. But some people always encourage corruption, defend looters. What a shame!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Nogodye(m): 6:25am On Feb 27, 2018
This people have destroy their earth and heaven...

2 Likes

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by rottennaija(m): 6:45am On Feb 27, 2018
deji17:

Yes, I read the article, which made me understand why looters will fight with everything they have in order to prevent Buhari from running again in 2019.
Looters also have realised that their best bet is for Buhari not to run, because if he contest, he will win. grin grin grin grin grin

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Seems like it would be a nail to their coffin should buhari win the 2019 Election

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by 6pax: 6:55am On Feb 27, 2018
May the gods continue to punish Jonathan and his supporters for the rape they inflicted to our economy during our economic boom thus landing us in the present recession. May the stupid God of Israelite and the useless amadioha continue to strike them till they are consumed in Jesus name. Amen

6 Likes

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by dingbang(m): 7:36am On Feb 27, 2018
Can God just bomb the whole of Nigeria and plant a new Adam and eve so that recreation can just begin again.
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Max24: 7:45am On Feb 27, 2018
Season of salacious news for the zombies and the gullibles. Is it a coincidence corruption cases are in d news again at d eve of another election year. After 3 years same accusations without conviction. 3 years is more than enough for any serious govt to convict corrupt people(adapted version of fasholas). Let the old retire and the not too young rule ...
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by kolaaderin: 7:50am On Feb 27, 2018
And one keep wondering why all the blames goes to BUHARI...... he must not contest 2019 as it would be another 4 years of purging for the looters.
corruption fighting the government back from all cylinders, and all their apparatus is set to prevent that man from returning to power in 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Nobody: 8:59am On Feb 27, 2018
Thunder fire your mouth
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by XXLDICK(m): 8:59am On Feb 27, 2018
what pains me most is the fact that they hardly build industries which will be of economic benefit to the populace.

it's either they launder the money abroad, hide it somewhere, build a hotel, sponsor a church or buy luxury items. idiots.

5 Likes

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by dotcomnamename: 9:00am On Feb 27, 2018
Wailers how far? grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by ORACLE1975(m): 9:01am On Feb 27, 2018
Good one
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Asebaba1(m): 9:01am On Feb 27, 2018
deji17:
STAY POSITIVE and know the year the money was stolen

1 Like

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Privatejetpastor: 9:01am On Feb 27, 2018
no public masturbation From jews claiming Igbos today? :ono public masturbation From jews claiming Igbos today?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Yankee101: 9:06am On Feb 27, 2018
Collect am back EFCC
Re: Calistus Obi: I Built My Hotel With Funds Diverted From Nigerian Maritime Agency by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 27, 2018
My close friend, he annoyed me by distancing himself after he got this appointment

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi 2023: Pictures From Admiral Usman Jibrin Kogi East Ward To Ward Tour / NJC Recommends Sack Of Justice Rita Ofili-ajumogobia & Justice James T. Agbadu / Buhari Reveals Plan For Politicians 'cheating And Looting' Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.