Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,887 members, 7,806,569 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria (1722 Views)

Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? / Bad Blood Between Igbos And Ijaws In The Nigerdelta. / Igbos And Yorubas Have Historical Ties – Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Armaggedon: 12:10am On Feb 27, 2018
The cyberspace is replete with a flurry of unverifiable write ups . As a result of the rise of blogs the focus of writing has shifted from education to profit making, keeping the public to grapple with the menace of misinformation, half truth and fallacies. As they say when lie is repeated it is often taking to be truth. I will explain top 5 wrong impressions people make about Igbos and Nigeria.
IGBOS ARE THE THIRD LARGEST ‘TRIBE’ IN NIGERIA

Nigerian population result does not reflect the population of each of her own ethnic group, despite the fact that Igbo and Yoruba appear in census questionnaire in UK. Most online users and organizations are therefore forced to either quote foreign surveys like the CIA handbook or appropriate population figures themselves which see them calling Igbo the third largest tribe. More worrisome is the fact that publications affiliated to government have taken this trend. The Igbo has never fallen to the third place in the days of ethnic count. Whatever is the case, it wrong for the govt. not to allow ethnic groups on census questionnaire and at the same allow wrong impressions to thrive.

AFIKPO PEOPLE ARE MUSLIMS
There is this claim made being made online about muslims in Igbo land especially in Afikpo in Ebonyi state. A preacher even stated once that more than 70 percent of afikpo people are muslims. Also there are photos online occasionally creating the impression of conversions to Islam by some unidentified young people. Even Celebrities like Emmanuel emenike once had to refute a rumour about his conversion. All these are of course not true. There is no known celebrity nor public figure from EBONYI state who is a muslim. Igbos travel far and wide. Some are born in muslim heartland in northern Nigeria and even in Dubai and Quatar, yet remain unchanged in religion. If they have a taste for Islam, that is a nice place to begin.

IGBOS AND YORUBAS HAVE THE MOST INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA
This one of the most repeated false statements about Igbos recently. Igbos are conservative when it comes to intermarriage. Despite this there has been numerous cases of men from cousin tribes contiguous to Igboland such as Ijaw,Efik/ Ibibio, Isoko etc marrying Igbo women in the past and presently. However, aside Ibibio /Efik where Igbo men occasionally marry from, it is very difficult to see an Igbo man married to woman from another tribe. Conversely, Yoruba men embrace inter tribal marriage for reasons best known to them. In fact most Yoruba men I know would wish to marry outside their tribe. Since millions of Igbos and yorubas meet daily in lagos it not strange to occasionally see marriage between a Yoruba man and an Igbo lady . However this in no way makes marriage between Igbo and Yoruba the biggest in Nigeria. Marriages between the Hausas and Fulanis unarguably constitute the biggest in Nigeria followed arguably by that of Yorubsa and Edos. There is also high rate of intermarriage between Yoruba and Hausa as well as itshekiri and urhobo. Unlike these other cases, Most Yoruba/ Igbo marriages involve Igbo women and Yoruba men and they occur mostly among people in the upper class of Lagos, which makes it not balanced enough to be called inter tribal marriage by my definition. Excessive media exhibitionism often accorded to Igbo/Yoruba marriages creates this false impression.

NIGERIA CAN ONLY DEVELOP IF IGBO AND YORUBA WORK TOGETHER
This statement is a clear endorsement of ethnicity, quota system and mediocrity. This is because it gives the impression that talent and genius have ethnic tag. Boast about the accomplishment of your ethnic group, you hear a counter argument that everybody is equally endowed irrespective of tribe. Why should we then promote the mentality that a team of talented individuals cannot succeed unless it is scrutinized and ethically ‘balanced’ to enable tribes ‘work together’? Everybody has a right to live out his dream and excel without being forced to leave his region and ‘work together’ with someone from another tribe.

FIGHT AMONG NIGERIANS END ONLINE

It takes a height of delusion to make this hasty conclusion. Most physical fights and conflicts that have occurred in the country in the past were not caused by the internet. This is to show that grudges and anger are real. However, since the internet offer the much needed anonymity to people while giving them a platform for expression; it is not difficult to see why Nigerians express their deepest thoughts about each using the platform. Each of these thoughts is important and still guides their actions in the real world.

lalasticlala mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Masterclass32: 12:53am On Feb 27, 2018
True, particularly no 3. Truer words have not been said.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by yarimo(m): 1:09am On Feb 27, 2018
6) All IPOBIANS ARE TERRORIST -- that is not a misleading statement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Noneroone(m): 2:52am On Feb 27, 2018
yarimo:
6) All IPOBIANS ARE TERRORIST -- that is not a misleading statement
At least it is misleading because 'terrorist' should be in plural.
Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by scholes0(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2018
Armaggedon:

IGBOS AND YORUBAS HAVE THE MOST INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGE IN NIGERIA
This one of the most repeated false statements about Igbos recently. Igbos are conservative when it comes to intermarriage. Despite this there has been numerous cases of men from cousin tribes contiguous to Igboland such as Ijaw,Efik/ Ibibio, Isoko etc marrying Igbo women in the past and presently. However, aside Ibibio /Efik where Igbo men occasionally marry from, it is very difficult to see an Igbo man married to woman from another tribe. Conversely, Yoruba men embrace inter tribal marriage for reasons best known to them. In fact most Yoruba men I know would wish to marry outside their tribe. Since millions of Igbos and yorubas meet daily in lagos it not strange to occasionally see marriage between a Yoruba man and an Igbo lady . However this in no way makes marriage between Igbo and Yoruba the biggest in Nigeria. Marriages between the Hausas and Fulanis unarguably constitute the biggest in Nigeria followed arguably by that of Yorubsa and Edos. There is also high rate of intermarriage between Yoruba and Hausa as well as itshekiri and urhobo. Unlike these other cases, Most Yoruba/ Igbo marriages involve Igbo women and Yoruba men and they occur mostly among people in the upper class of Lagos, which makes it not balanced enough to be called inter tribal marriage by my definition. Excessive media exhibitionism often accorded to Igbo/Yoruba marriages creates this false impression.

lol lol lol

Yes, Yorubas are more open to intertribal relationships because Yorubaland has historically always been a melting pot of sorts, various people have come and gone through what is now Yorubaland and this part of the world has always been open and well connected to all surrounding areas. But at the end of the day the Yoruba people always remain the only outlasting legacy.

While I am not really for or against intertribal marriages especially being the person from a dominant culture such as mine having nothing to fear, I would caution you to re-think your assertions that Yoruba-Igbo intermarriage is limited to just the Upper class in Lagos alone.
Have you visited the Lagos state marriage/wedding registry to study the stats or what? Secondly, why does it end in just Lagos? You think Lagos is the only place in the SW where Igbos can be found?

Those intertribal marriages making the headlines are only getting such publicity because the people involved are society people, but there are literally hundreds that take place going unnoticed each day.

Truth is the most common intertribal marriages are those between adjacent tribes, but those are mostly rural in nature, but in the cities (urban landscapes) in places such as Lagos or Abuja, one can't really make such bold assertions. Yoruba-Igbo marriages might actually outnumber all other urban inter-ethnic relations in Nigeria.
My 2 Kobo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Armaggedon: 3:33pm On Feb 27, 2018
scholes0:

lol lol lol

Yes, Yorubas are more open to intertribal relationships because Yorubaland has historically always been a melting pot of sorts, various people have come and gone through what is now Yorubaland and this part of the world has always been open and well connected to all surrounding areas. But at the end of the day the Yoruba people always remain the only outlasting legacy.

While I am not really for or against intertribal marriages especially being the person from a dominant culture such as mine having nothing to fear, I would caution you to re-think your assertions that Yoruba-Igbo intermarriage is limited to just the Upper class in Lagos alone.
Have you visited the Lagos state marriage/wedding registry to study the stats or what? Secondly, why does it end in just Lagos? You think Lagos is the only place in the SW where Igbos can be found?

Those intertribal marriages making the headlines are only getting such publicity because the people involved are society people, but there are literally hundreds that take place going unnoticed each day.

Truth is the most common intertribal marriages are those between adjacent tribes, but those are mostly rural in nature, but in the cities (urban landscapes) in places such as Lagos or Abuja, one can't really make such bold assertions. Yoruba-Igbo marriages might actually outnumber all other urban inter-ethnic relations in Nigeria.
My 2 Kobo.
how did you smuggle "alone" into my assertion? BTW you neither refuted any of my points successfully.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by scholes0(m): 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2018
Armaggedon:
how did you smuggle "alone" into my assertion? BTW you neither refuted any of my points successfully.

You said they mostly occur in the upper class, which is actually a false narrative, because the reverse is actually the case here. It is more common among the screps of society, for nothing else but the mere fact that in Nigeria they constitute the main mass of society.. How many younger people in street level relationships and with kids even do proper weddings anymore these days?
You even said Yoruba men were the only ones marrying Igbo women and from the other direction no Igo men were marry Yoruba women. Another of your opinions, and while I agree that more Yoruba men marry Igbo women than Igbo men marrying Yoruba women, it is more like a 65-35 situation, and not a lack of both in substantial numbers.

I can't refute your points because you had no point to begin with, just opinions based on what you think, which you would realize to be evidentially wrong if facts in form of raw data were to be presented. In Lagos, I have seen more children with mixed Yoruba-Igbo names than Yoruba-Others by a whole lot of wide margin.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by RedboneSmith(m): 8:49am On Feb 28, 2018
There is a village in Afikpo called Anohia that became predominantly Muslim in the 1950s. Like, nearly everyone in the village converted. If there is a stereotype that Afikpo people are Muslims (which frankly I haven't heard until now) it probably stems from the situation in Anohia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Armaggedon: 12:43am On Mar 02, 2018
scholes0:

You said they mostly occur in the upper class, which is actually a false narrative, because the reverse is actually the case here. It is more common among the screps of society, for nothing else but the mere fact that in Nigeria they constitute the main mass of society.. How many younger people in street level relationships and with kids even do proper weddings anymore these days?
You even said Yoruba men were the only ones marrying Igbo women and from the other direction no Igo men were marry Yoruba women. Another of your opinions, and while I agree that more Yoruba men marry Igbo women than Igbo men marrying Yoruba women, it is more like a 65-35 situation, and not a lack of both in substantial numbers.

I can't refute your points because you had no point to begin with, just opinions based on what you think, which you would realize to be evidentially wrong if facts in form of raw data were to be presented. In Lagos, I have seen more children with mixed Yoruba-Igbo names than Yoruba-Others by a whole lot of wide margin.
you either do yourself the favour of reading things carefully or you quit this thread for threads within your intellectual capacity instead of making disjointed arguement. no point to refute? then what have you been struggling to do.
you have seen more mixed children of Igbo and yoruba then in your warped logic it means that is the fact? i made a valid statement that yoruba /Igbo intermarriage is nothing near the highest as claimed through media propaganda, you started by saying it happens everywhere but ended up saying it happen mostly in the city like i said. inter tribal marriage is when men From tribe A marry Women from tribe B and men from B take women from A. so far, Igbos give and dont 'take'. Igbo women get attracted to men from all the ethnic groups and marry in some cases but yoruba seems to be loudest about it.when people heavily intermarry, it is difficult to see a family without having a trace of another group. this is the case with hausa / fulani and itshekiri / urhobo. there is absolutely nothing like that in an average yoruba family viz Igbo that will warrant such a sweeping statement talk more of Igbo family that hardly take in other women. in fact unlike others that have to do with cultural contiguity, Igbo/ yoruba marriages are circumstantial. once lagos cease to be a meeting hubs it will end.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by scholes0(m): 4:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
Armaggedon:
you either do yourself the favour of reading things carefully or you quit this thread for threads within your intellectual capacity instead of making disjointed arguement. no point to refute? then what have you been struggling to do.
you have seen more mixed children of Igbo and yoruba then in your warped logic it means that is the fact? i made a valid statement that yoruba /Igbo intermarriage is nothing near the highest as claimed through media propaganda, you started by saying it happens everywhere but ended up saying it happen mostly in the city like i said. inter tribal marriage is when men From tribe A marry Women from tribe B and men from B take women from A. so far, Igbos give and dont 'take'. Igbo women get attracted to men from all the ethnic groups and marry in some cases but yoruba seems to be loudest about it.when people heavily intermarry, it is difficult to see a family without having a trace of another group. this is the case with hausa / fulani and itshekiri / urhobo. there is absolutely nothing like that in an average yoruba family viz Igbo that will warrant such a sweeping statement talk more of Igbo family that hardly take in other women. in fact unlike others that have to do with cultural contiguity, Igbo/ yoruba marriages are circumstantial. once lagos cease to be a meeting hubs it will end.

Here is someone who I actually thought had some substance upstairs , but as usual turns out to be the empty insulting type.
What is the point to refute in all you've been rambling about from your very first post, which are all personal opinions of yours and not facts?
Facts are refuted, opinions are countered with either facts or other opinions.

First you said Most Yoruba - Igbo marriage involve Upper class. I told you that would be wrong. What percentage of people meeting on streets getting married day in and out are even influential members of society?
Second is that they take place only in Lagos - Another wrong assertion, I wouldn't even say 50% take place in Lagos - but then, that is just my opinion, no need to get all worked up, Ms Lilian.

According to you, Those circumstances make such unions "Not balanced enough" to be classified as Inter-tribal marriage. But then, you come here to start talking about the definition of intertribal marriage is when tribe A marries tribe B lipsrsealed Pls who is suffering from mental dystrophy here if not yourself?

Thirdly, I never claimed Yoruba-Igbo marriages happens everywhere, go learn to read! hrre is what I wrote:

I never made any statement of 100% confidence anywhere, I said most common rural intertribal marriages take place between adjacent tribes, which is only the natural order, but in the urban landscapes of Nigeria in places such as Lagos or Abuja anything happens as these are melting pots of people, and no one can make any affirmative statements until they make a survey or go to places of official documentation to get a sample. I then buttressed my opinion by talking about what I have seen based on personal experience. Simple.

Finally, be it circumstantial or otherwise, or "Only because of Lagos" like you claim, That one is your own palaver. You can accelerate the process of "Downgrading Lagos from being a meeting hub" like you would love to happen, much faster by stop coming there already- instead of making spurious remarks here!
No one cares. At the end of the day, intertribal unions or not, more than 85% of marriages among either Yoruba or Igbo is still to their tribesmen, so I don't even get what the whole fuss is about.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by SlayerForever: 9:27pm On Mar 02, 2018
scholes0:

lol lol lol

Truth is the most common intertribal marriages are those between adjacent tribes, but those are mostly rural in nature, but in the cities (urban landscapes) in places such as Lagos or Abuja, one can't really make such bold assertions. [s]Yoruba-Igbo marriages might actually outnumber all other urban inter-ethnic relations in Nigeria.
[/s]
My 2 Kobo.

Or may not.
Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by SlayerForever: 9:29pm On Mar 02, 2018
scholes0:

[s]You said they mostly occur in the upper class, which is actually a false narrative, because the reverse is actually the case here. It is more common among the screps of society, for nothing else but the mere fact that in Nigeria they constitute the main mass of society.. How many younger people in street level relationships and with kids even do proper weddings anymore these days?
[/s]

[s]I can't refute your points because you had no point to begin with, just opinions based on what you think, which you would realize to be evidentially wrong if facts in form of raw data were to be presented[/s]. In Lagos, I have seen more children with mixed Yoruba-Igbo names than Yoruba-Others by a whole lot of wide margin.
Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by Ooni: 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2018
interesting
Re: Top Five Misleading Statements People Make Involving Igbos And Nigeria by FisifunKododada: 4:25am On Oct 10, 2018
What about this (from the God Almighty of the Yeeboos, Nnamdi Kanu):

" 99 % of Igbo women are prostitutes."

(1) (Reply)

May An Igbo Man Wear A Half Shimi Under His Wrapper? / Trying To Peek Into The Ethnoreligious History Of Igbo / Who Can Translate This? Igbos Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.