Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. (1689 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Ministerial Appointments: No Going Back On Sep 30- Presidency / Corrupt Leaders Will Flee Nigeria If Buhari Wins –okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 26, 2010
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Apr 26, 2010
I don't get it @Poster. Are you saying all persons need to move back or just those who WANT to move back? You do realize, in one of the videos, you are made to understand that moving back home is not a new trend and it hasn't really been for the GOOD of the nation per say. Take the first video, the man's father moved back to Nigeria, along with so many other Nigerians,back during the oil boom. That did not help to stop the recessions that followed in the 80's, as well as the further decay of infrastructure in the country.

Thousands of Nigerians "moved back home" during the Obasanjo years, how did that work out on a whole for the nation? Certainly, many of these particular individuals were able to get their share of the Nigerian cake : new houses, posh cars, and salaries they would not have qualified for had they remained abroad. But, what positive impact did that move have on the majority of Nigerians, who, during the same period, have fallen below the poverty lines?

We need to know the difference between the impact moving back to Nigerian has on individuals who take the step and the whole impact it has on the nation as a whole. Two confuse the one with the other is no longer acceptable. That I move to Nigeria, and make millions in Nigeria IS NOT same as saying that as a result of my move back to Nigeria, the country as a whole reaped a benefit.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 7:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
I am quite happy for him,
One question tho', If he hadnt been rejected by the fashion industy in the US and he was a brand name on the famous NY catwalks, would he be making the same move?
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Apr 26, 2010
Le Moor:

One question tho', If he hadnt been rejected by the fashion industy in the US and he was a brand name on the famous NY catwalks, would he be making the same move?

That was the question I tried all I could to avoid asking . . . . ROFLMAO!!
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I don't get it @Poster. Are you saying all persons need to move back or just those who WANT to move back? You do realize, in one of the videos, you are made to understand that moving back home is not a new trend and it hasn't really been for the GOOD of the nation per say. Take the first video, the man's father moved back to Nigeria, along with so many other Nigerians,back during the oil boom. That did not help to stop the recessions that followed in the 80's, as well as the further decay of infrastructure in the country.

Thousands of Nigerians "moved back home" during the Obasanjo years, how did that work out on a whole for the nation? Certainly, many of these particular individuals were able to get their share of the Nigerian cake : new houses, posh cars, and salaries they would not have qualified for had they remained abroad. But, what positive impact did that move have on the majority of Nigerians, who, during the same period, have fallen below the poverty lines?

We need to know the difference between the impact moving back to Nigerian has on individuals who take the step and the whole impact it has on the nation as a whole. Two confuse the one with the other is no longer acceptable. That I move to Nigeria, and make millions in Nigeria IS NOT same as saying that as a result of my move back to Nigeria, the country as a whole reaped a benefit.

I totally agree and get your point.

But be aware that most of the NIDs going back home, take with them high tech skills, invaluable expertise and viable solutons to  the many problems of our dear country.

Albeit it is not for everyone , only for those who have what it takes to survive in a highly stressful environment.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 26, 2010
Le Moor:

Probably not.

But then again he could have persevered and suceeded.

I think he is a rather courageous young man to want to take a leap into the unknown.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
LOL, I just had to ask,

I have seen so many self styled move back folks (I even receive email notifications from a group called 'The Move Back Club'). While I personally have nothing against anyone who chooses a particular geographical location as his abode, (all humans can't be in the same location, regardless of the economic status of a place), There will always be in-flow and outflow of people, which is usually skewed in one direction for various reasons. But when people attempt to make a crusade out of it as if Timehin is doing a noble and Selfless act, it gets to me,

frosbel, again, I agree with you. Kudos to him, It is a brave step.  But don't start a topic and tag it - If He can, So should we - as if it is a selfless act of one going to give back to his society, He is going to get his hustle on, simple. I don't begrudge him that,, we all do one way or the other,
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 26, 2010
Le Moor:

LOL, I just had to ask,

I have seen so many self styled move back folks (I even receive email notifications from a group called 'The Move Back Club'). While I personally have nothing against anyone who chooses a particular geographical location as his abode, (all humans can't be in the same location, regardless of the economic status of a place), There will always be in-flow and outflow of people, which is usually skewed in one direction for various reasons. But when people attempt to make a crusade out of it as if Timehin is doing a noble and Selfless act, it gets to me,

frosbel, again, I agree with you. Kudos to him, It is a brave step.  But don't start a topic and tag it - If He can, So should we - as if it is a selfless act of one going to give back to his society, He is going to get his hustle on, simple. I don't begrudge him that,, we all do one way or the other,

Okay I was not generalising, just making a statement based on fact.

I have so many Naija friends who have gone back home, some who want to and are making plans but others who want to but are scared to take the leap.

It is this third category that my article was targeted.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by ElRazur: 7:47pm On Apr 26, 2010
Omoge london - Check.

Island Buka - Check.

Friends and Family - Check

Omoge summer - Check.

Why should I give up all of those to come back home? grin I swear far far away, sweet pass home. lol.

On a serious note, good luck to him and respect for doing that. Some of us are just happy going back and forth and doing our own thing. I think I am one of those. smiley
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

I totally agree and get your point.
But be aware that most of the NIDs going back home, take with them high tech skills, invaluable expertise and viable solutons to  the many problems of our dear country.

But, the question still remains and that is, of what good have those skills and 'expertise' been to the nation/community/society  as a whole. Take for instance the area of IT. Yes, we have tons of jungle coders in Nigeria, and we have, over the years brought in lots of IT expatriates and paid them so many more times the income that would have been paid where they in countries like the US, or even India. How has that worked to improve our IT industry? Someone would argue that it has, but I don't agree. Like I mentioned, we have tons of jungle coders out there but on a whole, our IT sector is still at least 70 years behind countries like the UK, or even China.  I can list reasons but not for this discussion.  

frosbel:

Albeit it is not for everyone , only for those who have what it takes to survive in a highly stressful environment.

I will be honest with you. I am not against people moving back . . .  it is ok for those who want to, to do so. But I am against our need to praise folks who move back to IMPROVE THEIR OWN POCKETS, as if that somehow makes the nation better or something.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

Okay I was not generalising, just making a statement based on fact.
I have so many Naija friends who have gone back home, some who want to and are making plans but others who want to but are scared to take the leap.
It is this third category that my article was targeted.

They are scared . . . understandable. But what is their motive for wanting to move back to Nigeria?

I personally have never really met any successful Nigerian here who decided to move to Nigeria to help build the nation. I have never really met any Nigerian who has out of selflessness decided to give up the great job, great life to move back to contribute to the making the lives of average Nigerians better. What I have seen on the most part are unsuccessful Nigerians moving back with hopes of making a bigger killing in Nigeria.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 7:53pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I will be honest with you. I am not against people moving back . . .  it is ok for those who want to, to do so. But I am against our need to praise folks who move back to IMPROVE THEIR OWN POCKETS, as if that somehow makes the nation better or something.  

I think this pretty much sums up what I was trying to say,
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

They are scared . . . understandable. But what is their motive for wanting to move back to Nigeria? I personally have never really met any successful Nigerian here who decided to move to Nigeria to help build the nation. I have never really met any Nigerian who has out of selflessness decided to give up the great job, great life to move back to contribute to the making the lives of average Nigerians better. What I have seen on the most part are unsuccessful Nigerians moving back with hopes of making a bigger killing in Nigeria.

Hmm, not necessarily.

In the UK for example most of my friends who have left have been doctors, lawyers, it professionals who are currently providing an invaluable service to the communities where they are settled.

I would like to think that if you have a good job with evidence of career and income progression then you can be classified as successful.

For many though, home is the ultimate place to peak your career and prepare for a comfortable retirement, and be in a better position to help your extended family if you have one.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by platinumnk(f): 8:10pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

But, the question still remains and that is, of what good have those skills and 'expertise' been to the nation/community/society as a whole. Take for instance the area of IT. Yes, we have tons of jungle coders in Nigeria, and we have, over the years brought in lots of IT expatriates and paid them so many more times the income that would have been paid where they in countries like the US, or even India. How has that worked to improve our IT industry? Someone would argue that it has, but I don't agree. Like I mentioned, we have tons of jungle coders out there but on a whole, our IT sector is still at least 70 years behind countries like the UK, or even China. I can list reasons but not for this discussion.

I will be honest with you. I am not against people moving back . . . it is ok for those who want to, to do so. But I am against our need to praise folks who move back to IMPROVE THEIR OWN POCKETS, as if that somehow makes the nation better or something.

You talk sense. I agree.
But i do know of a Nairalander that is moving back to actually help.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Apr 26, 2010
frosbel:

Hmm, not necessarily.

In the UK for example most of my friends who have left have been doctors, lawyers, it professionals who are currently providing an invaluable service to the communities where they are settled.

I would like to think that if you have a good job with evidence of career and income progression then you can be classified as successful.

For many though, home is the ultimate place to peak your career and prepare for a comfortable retirement, and be in a better position to help your extended family if you have one.

That they are doctors/lawyers does not essentially translate to success. What are your friends giving up by leaving the UK? What do they gain/loose by moving back to Nigeria? Is the move for personal and private growth, or for national growth? How many of them are actually making sacrifices?

We cannot continue to make it seem as if moving back to Nigeria, no matter what the reason, makes one a HERO.

About the first video, that guy is not moving to "MAKE NIGERIA GREAT". I mean if you listen, he speaks of being depressed and what not because of the rejection he has had to deal with. His friends purchasing his ticket for his move, also hints that he is more likely moving back for personal gain. That is my opinion of what that is there.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by doyin13(m): 8:30pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Kobojunkie.

It is this erroneous sense of altruism that leads many people that go back
home to lose their marbles. Societies are not enriched by charity, rather they
get richer because of pure unbridled selfish greed.

Americans and Britons don't wake up every morning thinking what am I going to
do to aid my community. These nations have grown through the profit motive which
enriches individuals first and their societies subsequently.

So if a Nigerian going back home has seen his stock rise as a result of such a move,
he shouldn't be dismissed as an opportunistic returnee who couldn't hack it abroad.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by redsun(m): 8:35pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That they are doctors/lawyers does not essentially translate to success. What are your friends giving up by leaving the UK? What do they gain/loose by moving back to Nigeria? Is the move for personal and private growth, or for national growth? How many of them are actually making sacrifices?

We cannot continue to make it seem as if moving back to Nigeria, no matter what the reason, makes one a HERO.

About the first video, that guy is not moving to "MAKE NIGERIA GREAT". I mean if you listen, he speaks of being depressed and what not because of the rejection he has had to deal with. His friends purchasing his ticket for his move, also hints that he is more likely moving back for personal gain.  That is my opinion of what that is there.

It makes you a rational human being to want to bear the brunt in your own land and make a difference whichever way possible.Any reasonable person with reasonable experiences in west must know how to live selflessly and efficiently in nigeria.Although the system could be very frustrating but with more reasonable people going back things will begin to normalize,people will begin to see the joy in building,working hard,giving and sacrifice.

The essence of us being human is the abilities to solve problems,running away from problems and taking refuge in comfort zones puts us in the state of sub-humanity that white people generally sees us as,people that not fit to run their own affairs even with so called education.

And for your own interest since you leave far away from the heart of conventional america,there are loads of successful nigerian americans relocating to nigeria with more fulfilling responsibilities.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Apr 26, 2010
doyin13:

@Kobojunkie.

It is this erroneous sense of altruism that leads many people that go back
home to lose their marbles. Societies are not enriched by charity, rather they
get richer because of pure unbridled selfish greed.

Americans and Britons don't wake up every morning thinking what am I going to
do to aid my community. These nations have grown through the profit motive which
enriches individuals first and their societies subsequently.

Nowhere have I in anyway posited that it is WRONG to do for self, and I will NEVER say such because I don't believe that for one minute. However, whatever view you have of those who move back, they ought not to be celebrated as Heroes would, simply for moving back. That is it, my opinion!

doyin13:

So if a Nigerian going back home has seen his stock rise as a result of such a move,
he shouldn't be dismissed as an opportunistic returnee who couldn't hack it abroad.

I didn't say they all are, BUT that does not in anyway dismiss the fact that the majority of those I know, who have moved back were not. I am serious about it. I can't tell you how many times I have had to have the "THE SYSTEM HERE IS BUILT TO BRING BLACK PEOPLE DOWN AND MAKE A SLAVE OUT OF YOU, BUT MY MATES IN NIGERIA ARE DOING GREAT AND ENJOYING THEIR LIVES" talk with friends and family. It bothers me that all I have to do is think of is how I can go 'gbu o ozu n ' in Nigeria, and act on that scheme, to become a HERO in the eyes of my countrymen.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by REALTRUTH1: 8:40pm On Apr 26, 2010
@Poster,,,The oyindamola-zenith bank stuff is a stale news,,,this video is over a year now,,,at Zenith with staff retionalization,downsizing and feduction of salary,,,,oyindamola would ve left ZENITH BANK at the moment,,,,,The fact that oyinda's story came up does not mean its so easy way back home in naija,,,,If you truly want to know the way things are at the moment with the banking industry in naija,,,,just try and do some random call back home to those you know who re still lucky to be in banking industry,,,
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by redsun(m): 8:51pm On Apr 26, 2010
One of the biggest problem of black people is short projection,we tend to focus on the moment,forgetting that an action taken today could make a great difference tomorrow.Instant gratifications has no roots

Rome was not built in day and long lasting building and efforts comes with sacrifices.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by labiyemmy(m): 8:59pm On Apr 26, 2010
Back in the slave trade era- black people rejected being taken to the new world, they wanted to come home and live at home desperately. Home at that time was more of bush and undeveloped area- , but they still want to be at home, live at home and resisted the slavery of the white man. Today, if slave trade were to be re enacted, a lot of folks on this forum will gladly queue up to have the appelation black slave tagged on their back while they work and slave for the white man, reason, they will claim home is nothing and not a place worth going back to. I wonder.

Afterall, all the returneee politicians from the diaspora are either now being chased by EFCC or have fraud and corruption cases on their neck, so, whats the big deal if you come home or if you dont?
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by sjeezy8: 9:02pm On Apr 26, 2010
well my parents live in Nigeria but come to america every couple of months,soo . . . . when i graduate ill be back for good but come back and forth digg . . .
Theres no place like gidi
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Apr 26, 2010
redsun:

It makes you a rational human being to want to bear the brunt in your own land and make a difference whichever way possible.Any reasonable person with reasonable experiences in west must know how to live selflessly and efficiently in nigeria.Although the system could be very frustrating but with more reasonable people going back things will begin to normalize,people will begin to see the joy in building,working hard,giving and sacrifice.

The essence of us being human is the abilities to solve problems,running away from problems and taking refuge in comfort zones puts us in the state of sub-humanity that white people generally sees us as,people that not fit to run their own affairs even with so called education.

And for your own interest since you leave far away from the heart of conventional america,there are loads of successful nigerian americans relocating to nigeria with more fulfilling responsibilities.

Let us please stick to the issue at hand here rather than going off on some tangent. The question is NOT can you live or not live in Nigeria. Anyone can live anywhere, that is an established fact, and NOT what the discussion, or my take on this is on.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by redsun(m): 9:18pm On Apr 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Let us please stick to the issue at hand here rather than going off on some tangent. The question is NOT can you live or not live in Nigeria. Anyone can live anywhere, that is an established fact, and NOT what the discussion, or my take on this is on.

What is the issue at hand?It is about going back nigeria and help build the nation,if not for today but for the future.It is heroic for one to live comfort predictable zone of the west to that war zone called nigeria for what ever reason.We must do it for change to come,people must learn to live with insights,foresight and dignity

Making mountains out of molehill with too much talk like you always do is not helping us in anyway
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by labiyemmy(m): 9:31pm On Apr 26, 2010
Agressive minority should not force their views and tastes on everyone !
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
sjeezy8:

well my parents live in Nigeria but come to america every couple of months,soo . . . . when i graduate ill be back for good but come back and forth digg . . .
Theres no place like gidi

You said it all.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by LeMoor(m): 9:42pm On Apr 26, 2010
Again,
I am reminded why it is hard to maintain a discussion on nairaland,
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 26, 2010
Nigeria is a developing country and has lots and lots of potential.

Some NIDs abroad who have worked hard academically and gained years of experience, are very well equipped to make a difference for Nigeria in these developing times when there is a great capacity to fill. Their skills are what is needed to put Nigeria on the path of competition with the west.

Obviously some of these professionals have families and responsibilities , so you do not expect them to come back home and work for charity.

The mere courage that many of these people take to come back home despite the revelation of stress, hardship and numerous obstacles is enough sacrifice on its own.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2010
In summary, this is not for everyone, in fact for me, despite periodic pressue to relocate, I am carefully considering my position , objectives and expectations.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by irohadis: 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2010
A very good point was made here earlier: national growth can come from people participating in their countries out of the prospects of personal gains rather than altruism. The fact that there is personal gain for the acting individual does not negate their action's impact on their society or their heroism. If you think it is not not heroic to return - even if one has not been 'successful'- try doing so when in the same situation. You should understand that there is no guarantee for success upon return and that most people in Nigeria want to emigrate even if the gains are marginal. To return takes guts and any one willing to do so should be commended and not criminalised as an opportunist.  

The prospect of material gain makes the return of the diaspora sustainable. Consequently, it makes their impact at home also sustainable. This is the only way the country can reverse the ongoing brain drain and get the badly needed skills it needs to develop.
Re: Going Back To Nigeria - If He Can So can we, Nids. by sizzlers(m): 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
redsun:

One of the biggest problem of black people is short projection,we tend to focus on the moment,forgetting that an action taken today could make a great difference tomorrow.Instant gratifications has no roots

Rome was not built in day and long lasting building and efforts comes with sacrifices.
if 50% of Nigerians in diaspora have ur kind of spirit i think things will be better. I love dis thread, i would have lov to contribute but im still at home (9ja). Frm my observation i think guys from the UK are more sensible and pathetic in this issue than those in the US. Sorry i mean no offence, u guys ar doing great.

(1) (2) (Reply)

GCON-Grand Crook Of The Order Of Niger, Nigeria National Dishonour Awards / Uptil Now; No Imam Not Even One! / Nairaland Without Beaf, Eko Ile, Others: The Revolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.