Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Did You Become A Teacher - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Did You Become A Teacher (12638 Views)

What's Your Experience Like Being A Teacher / My Encounter With A Teacher Turned Bricklayer / As A Teacher, What's Your Workload And Pay Range? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by sirBLUNT: 7:48am On Mar 01, 2018
Cc: missjoy29 makydebbie
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Demayour: 7:50am On Mar 01, 2018
I vowed never to teach after I left secondary school but while waiting for UTME, I wanted to keep my brain stimulated and earn some money at the same time. So I started teaching in a private school. I would teach till afternoon and afterwards I would study for UTME. Though I taught the primary level which is later going to be my field, I really enjoyed every moment I spent with the children minus interruption from the school proprietor.

Well, the problem with teaching in Nigeria is so numerous. Accumulated mistakes of governments from the past has gradually reduced the standard of teaching and the prestige teachers used to enjoy in the past. One of our professors told us in class one day, that he got scholarship for being a student of Education. In those days, you need prolonged trainings just like medical doctors need in order to be a teacher. By the time you pass through 2 or 3 stages of the training,teaching would have become a profession of choice and not compulsion. Teaching presently in Nigeria is only profitable in very expensive schools but even those schools can use their teachers such that he becomes useless to himself. But whoever is ready to teach must do so with an open mind and a heart that is ready to learn. Teaching is not a destination but a route to a better destination especially for young men.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 01, 2018
asunmoGGMU:

In Nigeria, teaching is not considered as a 'profession'. It is that bad.
Its a profession to us that studied it as a course in the university. Not to someone that didn't study it but woke up one day out of joblessness to start teaching, they are outright unprofessional and you can't compare them with us.

They are wack teachers, they don't know the pedagogy used to teach students of different age, neither do they know anything about psychology of learning, they don't even know teachers ethics and code, neither do they know about educational curriculum designs for each level of students, in am educational setting, we are being paid higher than them cos we know about teaching and the learners in toto.

And before you come here to showcase your ignorance, if I decide to travel out in the future, with my TRCN, I will be recognized as a teacher outside Nigeria, did I hear you say its not a profession?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by rhemadhee(m): 7:50am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:
People became teachers for so many reasons.... Because they couldn't get any other job, because they love teaching, to enjoy weekends and holidays, etc. If you became a teacher because it's your gift/passion and you desire to impact lives with it, drop your WhatsApp number on the comment section. I will add you to a group of teachers who are ready to sacrifice to change lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by MissJoy29(f): 7:51am On Mar 01, 2018
sirBLUNT:
Cc: missjoy29 makydebbie
Thanks dear. I was just about viewing the thread.

How are you?
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by makydebbie(f): 7:53am On Mar 01, 2018
Wanted to build my personality I guess. And it's all part of the hustle. I love my students. kiss
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by makydebbie(f): 7:58am On Mar 01, 2018
sirBLUNT:
Cc: missjoy9 makydbbie
I've dropped a comment.

Cc Blackhawk01
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by captainbell: 8:01am On Mar 01, 2018
I hate teaching with a passion.... I just can't imagine myself doing it. The teachers don't even look like the future they are trying to achieve for their students. An uber or brt driver is better than a teacher to me.
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by much30: 8:16am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:
People became teachers for so many reasons.... Because they couldn't get any other job, because they love teaching, to enjoy weekends and holidays, etc. If you became a teacher because it's your gift/passion and you desire to impact lives with it, drop your WhatsApp number on the comment section. I will add you to a group of teachers who are ready to sacrifice to change lives.

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by walezqo(m): 8:17am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by wizzytm(m): 8:23am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by skimmer01(m): 8:27am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:32am On Mar 01, 2018
Chikita66:
Its a profession to us that studied it as a course in the university. Not to someone that didn't study it but woke up one day out of joblessness to start teaching, they are outright unprofessional and you can't compare them with us.

They are wack teachers, they don't know the pedagogy used to teach students of different age, neither do they know anything about psychology of learning, they don't even know teachers ethics and code, neither do they know about educational curriculum designs for each level of students, in am educational setting, we are being paid higher than them cos we know about teaching and the learners in toto.

And before you come here to showcase your ignorance, if I decide to travel out in the future, with my TRCN, I will be recognized as a teacher outside Nigeria, did I hear you say its not a profession?

To start with, the tone of my message is non-vindictive, I am surprised at your preposterous approach. To real issue, that you can go abroad to teach doesnt mean Nigeria, as a country, sees teaching as a 'profession'. They don't correlate. Mind you, if you read carefully, you would see I adduced to that fact to state the sad tale of things in this country and the need to revisit these things. That you call it a profession does not mean Nigeria recognizes it as one. It has been an age-long battle on that, if you care to know. Use your Internet. I am not here to ridicule teachers. Stop getting your veins bursted unnecessarily.

Before you call anyone ignorant, do due diligence. Stop getting angry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Kemillion(m): 8:39am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:
am a registered teacher (TRCN) i purposefully went to college of education 2 acquire da basis for teaching, i read bio/chemistry there; after graduation, i proceeded to the prestigious university of uyo for my degree in Integrated science education BSc/edu. am a professional teacher and am not only a teacher but a role model. my number is +2347067098225

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Krisddon: 8:40am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:
Please, is there vacancy anywhere within Lagos in this profession? I'm a Teacher but out of job at the moment. Thanks
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by ifiokbenzy(m): 8:44am On Mar 01, 2018
Chikita66:

It is either you teach or cheat, for real they're cheats!
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Krisddon: 8:48am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by vanvickie(m): 8:56am On Mar 01, 2018
I'm all about impacting knowledge and bringing out the vest in every child because I believe everyone has the potential to succeed.
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by vanvickie(m): 8:56am On Mar 01, 2018
I'm all about impacting knowledge and bringing out the vest in every child because I believe everyone has the potential to succeed. (07038906614)

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Oluwaiphee: 9:01am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by ojotobiloba1: 9:06am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Mosaic12: 9:12am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by rollydex: 9:13am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by baganas: 9:14am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by ozoebuka1(m): 9:32am On Mar 01, 2018
I read education in school and it's a wonderful profession when you know what you are teaching... I hope to teach some day, I just finished service wink
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by jacyhelen(f): 10:01am On Mar 01, 2018
JoyceMeyersFan:

because there is NO JOB.
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Topmaike007(m): 10:01am On Mar 01, 2018
Chikita66:

expecially people like us dat pass through nce first in the profession
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Topmaike007(m): 10:09am On Mar 01, 2018
makydebbie:
Wanted to build my personality I guess. And it's all part of the hustle. I love my students. kiss
dat is it oo
Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 01, 2018
First, I Was By Circumstance, Now It Is My Life. I Can Teach Even In The Dream... 07033356616

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by paskilo247(m): 10:24am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Did You Become A Teacher by profoejr(m): 10:25am On Mar 01, 2018
It is well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Being A Professional Female Photographer In Nigeria / Ask Me Any Question On Chartered Institute Of Purchasing And Supply (CIPS) / Sunkanmi Vaughan ‘1000+ Business Ideas And Money Sources Directory’, Tops Google

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.