Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (79073 Views)

Adventures Of Lionlee216 / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Jamaticulus(m): 1:32am On Apr 07, 2018
Any tips about Darmstadt? The City, Schooling at TUDarmstadt and Opportunities afterwards.

Congrats OP. Best in your pursuit.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2018
OP where art thou?
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Damolux01(m): 11:33am On Apr 08, 2018
Germany my favourite country. Raising the €8700 seems difficult tho" I pray God blesses me abundantly this year. Congratulations bro...Go there and succeed. I tap from ur success too.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by peter1994(m): 4:10pm On May 18, 2018
OP.... Where art thou
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:44am On Jun 12, 2018
This post is too long I can't just re-read. Kindly accept every errors.

Uhmm it has been a long while here. Gist plenty I don't even know where to start from. Before coming to Germany, I always wondered why there were not much threads about Europe here, not until I arrived here before I realized the truth. NO TIME. Shout out to every poster on NL travel thread it's really not easy to catch up with busy schedules and NL.

Let me just talk about my journey and how landing in Germany felt.
I flew Ethiopian airline and I must say that the flight was so smooth and ahead of schedule except the part where they added to my problem by destroying the tyre of one of my luggage which made life so stressful for me.

The whole journey was Nigeria to Germany was a very stressful one for me. Weeks before traveling, I have been weighing my bags with my mind and I was so sure I was above the weight limit. A day to my flight, I went to a gas station nearby and I used their digital scale to weigh my luggage and I was like 10kg above the limit and everything packed in those bags are all of importance. There and then I decided I would just have to shake body very well at the airport and hope luck finds me.

My flight with Ethiopian Airlines was in the afternoon, but immediately I got to MMIA, the stress and shaking body began. We had to shake body for security guards for my mum and brother to come through with me, checking in was so stressful because there were a lot of people on the queue and with the fact that I was so over the weight limits, I had to do some re-packings and do away with some of my foodstuffs embarassed and even with that I was still overweight but I sha managed through with it.

After successfully checking in, I proceeded to the boarding gate immediately with my overweight hand luggage. Trust me, my hand luggage was so overweight because almost all the clothes I was taking to Germany was inside.

At the boarding gate, I had to shake body again. I was so stressed with carrying my hand luggage from one end that I wasn't in my right senses again. The immigration officer was like is this my first journey abroad I said no just because I did not want to sort her, but she was like this is the first stamp on my passport I said yes it's a new passport that the previous ones were in the old one, then she said where's it. There and then, I just gave her what she wanted so that I could go in peace.

After being stamped out of Nigeria, I processed to the scanning point, and at that point one funny officer told me I had a scissors in my bag when the tray came out. I was shocked and just stood my ground like it's not mine and my mind went to my village people maybe this is how they wanted to do grin then she rescanned it and didn't see the scissors. Apparently it was the man behind me that had scissors in his bag. I was like if it was cocaine, that's how I would have been set up and no way to defend myself because there was no camera in that area.

Next to the waiting area. I was dealing with two things, stress of carrying my heavy hand luggage and joy of the fact that I was reaching some sort of places I have never been to. At the waiting area, I did something so stupid that I think the stress caused it. I needed to use the rest room and it was far away and I could not afford to carry that heavy bag. I left the bag there and went to the rest room. It was at the rest room that I came back to my senses that someone might have inserted drugs inside my bag most especially the guy seating beside me. This again added to the stressful journey because I could not start rearranging the bag again and searching for what is not lost.

Long story short sha, the journey was so stressful thanks to my overload, that I felt like if I was denied entry at POE, I will be so happy that at least I have entered plan and stepped into Europe before.

We landing at Frankfurt airport way ahead of schedule in the early hours of the day and there and then I realized I had made a big mistake. I was calculating my arrival time based on Nigerian time and not German and Ethiopian time. I realized this while on the connecting flight to Frankfurt and really wished the pilot could slow down grin grin

The airport was empty when we arrived and funny thing was that the immigration officer that attended to me didn't know he was to stamp my passport. I had to remind the dude.

At the baggage claim, I realized the tyre in one of my boxes was destroyed. I couldn't cry because I just bought the box the week I traveled and I was thinking that at least and I can roll the heavy luggage.

Sha, I managed to drag my overload and sat the the same spot for good 4 hours because of miscalculations. The person that was to pick me up finally cam and at a point, I had to put my box on my head because of spoilt tyre.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:52am On Jun 12, 2018
On board

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:56am On Jun 12, 2018
We were all served with nice rice and you either choice between beef or chicken. The aisle seat was the best during the first part of the flight because the plane was full and I often use toilet so I didn't have to disturb anyone.

14 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:59am On Jun 12, 2018
The stopover in Ethiopia was brief and it was cold. The airport beats MMIA down by far.

18 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 3:08am On Jun 12, 2018
The plane for the connecting flight was so scanty that everyone chose a row to sleep and snow. Though I wasn't convenient

18 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 3:11am On Jun 12, 2018
Used Flixbus to my final destination. It was paid for by the wonderful soul that picked me up from the airport

28 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 12, 2018
God bless your new journey and all the best bro,please keep us updated about life in general(school,works,fun and all),All the best bro.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by madridguy(m): 8:51am On Jun 12, 2018
Nigeria immigration officers, check port and other touts at the airport will never stop embarrassing Nigeria.

Please don't loss focus and don't get derailed of your purpose.

Wish you success bro.

10 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Eleniyan15: 1:57pm On Jun 12, 2018
Finally cool cool
We hoping for more update
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Funnyguy83: 3:13pm On Jun 12, 2018
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
Frankfurt Hbf

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 11:08pm On Jun 12, 2018
Frankfurt Hbf 21.41

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Jamaticulus(m): 7:58pm On Jun 13, 2018
Great thread and narration. God bless your new journey. Looking to join you soon in Europe....

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by KendrickAyomide: 8:34pm On Jun 13, 2018
My own they come In Jesus name Amen

22 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by RalphVwede(m): 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2018
I've found me a new thread to follow cheesy
I wish you success.

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by RalphVwede(m): 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2018
I don't know if I missed it while reading through but it seems you didn't mention your city/school. Kindly do pls, esp city.
Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:10am On Jun 14, 2018
I literally have been running after time since I arrived here, I can't just wait for winter to come. Presently, Germany is an hour ahead of Nigeria and trust me one hour here is fake, before you know it's gone.

Take God for the brains behind DB navigator. It is one of the survival app here where one can get real time information about bus and train connections to plan ones day or trip.

Unlike in Nigeria where one can come out if his or her house and hail either bike or bus or even taxi. Life is quite stressful for any one that doesn't own a car here because it's so stressful catching up with buses at least in the city because I always have to make sure I am done preparing so that I would not miss the bus that comes around. And everywhere I have had an appointment here in Germany, I often get there like half an hour before schedule because of the timing of the bus only allows me to either get there late or way early.

RalphVwede I stay couple of hours away from Frankfurt central station. Each time I go to Frankfurt, I take the train which is absolutely free based on semester ticket.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 2:19am On Jun 14, 2018
And yes, the weather here is so fake. It can be so hot now and the next minute it is so cold it starts raining ice. It has rained ice once in summer.

The concept of longer day and shorter night or vice versa in Geography is best understood here. The day is still bright sometimes at couple of minutes to 10pm here and this literally makes me sleep so late because as a naija guy nah I sleep in darkness. And the sky becomes bright as early as 3 or 4 am.

Picture was taken at Frankfurt central train station as at 21.44 Uhr

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 1:01am On Jun 15, 2018
Frankfurt is just like Lagos to me. So overcrowded and dirty with almost everyone on the street 'mad'. I walked through Frankfurt street twice at night this week and I keep seeing a lot of homeless people around. Just yesterday, I found myself in one of the red-light zones shocked shocked Jigba is this the same one you talked about in your diary?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Braket: 1:06am On Jun 15, 2018
This thread is kind of boring do nit blame me. I have a lot I would like to talk about but I get confused what to write in particular. Maybe pointers from readers who will help. I am kind of free these days.

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 15, 2018
Braket:
Frankfurt is just like Lagos to me. So overcrowded and dirty with almost everyone on the street 'mad'. I walked through Frankfurt street twice at night this week and I keep seeing a lot of homeless people around. Just yesterday, I found myself in one of the red-light zones shocked shocked Jigba is this the same one you talked about in your diary?

Yes, it's the same place grin..

Those people are not mad otherwise you wouldn't see them on the streets, they are just drug addicts. Have they ever asked you for money?, cause that's what they are good at. At the end of the day that money is used to buy drugs. Do you also noticed that they all look really wasted all the time?.

Have you been to Westendd?. That area is the most beautiful place. Basically it's an area where rich Germans live. If you go there, you will notice a huge difference. It's not crowded like other parts..

But Frankfurt is so diverse, that's why I like here!.

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 15, 2018
Braket:
And yes, the weather here is so fake. It can be so hot now and the next minute it is so cold it starts raining ice. It has rained ice once in summer.

The concept of longer day and shorter night or vice versa in Geography is best understood here. The day is still bright sometimes at couple of minutes to 10pm here and this literally makes me sleep so late because as a naija guy nah I sleep in darkness. And the sky becomes bright as early as 3 or 4 am.

Picture was taken at Frankfurt central train station as at 21.44 Uhr

Was wearing shorts last week but this week I'm back to wearing jackets... It's cold at the moment grin. Yes, I remember that day it rained ice. The rain lasted for hours!....

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 4:11am On Jun 15, 2018
Frankfurt is so dirty, lol. It's hard to believe if you have never been here lipsrsealed.. Is your school located in Frankfurt?..

Have you ever used the U-bahn and/or S-bahn?

In general, I think Frankfurt is a city for 'rich people'. That's why there are so many homeless people on the streets, probably those who couldn't afford the cost of living here... The rent is also crazy here.. I think as a student, you are better off living in a smaller city closer to a big city...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 15, 2018
Braket:
This thread is kind of boring do nit blame me. I have a lot I would like to talk about but I get confused what to write in particular. Maybe pointers from readers who will help. I am kind of free these days.

Just write whatever you feel like smiley. It seems boring cause you abandoned it for a long time....

Thanks for mentioning me, I actually thought you wouldn't post here again.

Maybe you could write more about Frankfurt, post pictures too...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by KendrickAyomide: 6:06am On Jun 15, 2018
Braket:
Lagos. dirty? have you seen the heap load of dirty at ojota? what's your definition of dirty LMAO

19 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by RalphVwede(m): 6:44am On Jun 15, 2018
Braket:
You could do posts of how you spent each day, what was particular about the day and things/experiences we could learn from. No sugar coating pls, tell us as it is. Danke.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by otokx(m): 7:05am On Jun 15, 2018
Nice thread, keep it rolling, we don't appreciate the amount of free time we have in Nigeria until we travel out. It's all about building routines and keeping up with the culture. Frankfurt airport is so lovely, starting with the landing lights with their different colors.

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany by lekanlaniyan(m): 7:41am On Jun 15, 2018
Nice thread to follow.

Note:- Always post with pictorial evidence for your readers to travel along with you and comment on your thread.

Germany on my mind.

Good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Lockdown: Onitsha Inner Neighbourhoods (Aerial Pictures) / ₦38,000 Per Night Guest House With 77 Lions In South Africa(Photos) / Lady Who Was Set To Wed In October Crushed By Truck In Ajah (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.