Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. (21195 Views)

Ben Enwonwu’s Painting Sold For £1.1m After Google Search / Ben Enwonwu's Portrait Of Tutu Sold At Auction For £1,205,000 / Ben Enwonwu’s Missing Painting, Tutu, Found In London Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by naptu2: 9:20am On Mar 01, 2018
Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event.

Bonhams auction house sold several expensive pieces of African art yesterday in London and the star of the show was Tutu, a painting by Professor Ben Enwonwu.

However, Bonhams also had an event at the Wheatbaker Hotel, 4 Onitolo Road, Ikoyi in Lagos where guests watched a live stream of the event and could also bid for items that were on sale. Several of the items, including "African Dancers" by Professor Enwonwu, were bought by guests in Lagos.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osisiye/status/968897614942007296

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by naptu2: 9:20am On Mar 01, 2018
Bonhams' press release.

REDISCOVERED NIGERIAN CULTURAL ICON
AFRICA NOW

28 Feb 2018

London, New Bond Street

Tutu, a portrait of the Ife royal princess Adetutu Ademiluyi painted in 1974 by the Nigerian artist Ben Enwonwu, leads Bonhams Africa Now sale in London on Wednesday 28 February. In a pioneering move, the sale will be broadcast live to a Bonhams auction event in Lagos, where bidders will be able to participate in real time. This will also be the first ever evening sale of Contemporary African Art.

Enwonwu painted three versions of Tutu during 1973–74, and the image became a symbol of national reconciliation for a country struggling for unity in the wake of the Nigerian–Biafran conflict of the late 1960s. All three paintings had been considered lost until the discovery of the current picture for sale.

Writing in the spring edition of Bonhams Magazine, the Nigerian-born Booker Prize winning novelist Ben Okri, said, "It amounts to the most significant discovery in contemporary African art in over fifty years. It is the only authentic Tutu, the equivalent of some rare archaeological find. It is a cause for celebration, a potentially transforming moment in the world of art."

The series was of great personal significance to Enwonwu. The first painting, executed in 1973, remained in the artist's studio until his death in 1994. It was lost at some point after that, and its current whereabouts are unknown. The location of the third Tutu painting is also a mystery, leaving the work for sale at Bonhams as the only known example of the image.

Bonham's Director of Modern African Art, Giles Peppiatt said, "The portrait of Tutu is a national icon in Nigeria, and of huge cultural significance. It is very exciting to have discovered the only painting of the series that we now know still exists. Its appearance on the market is a momentous event and we expect it to generate enormous interest."

The sale also includes:

• Negritude also by Enwonwu, estimated at £60,000-90,000. This gouache explores the ideology of 'Negritude'; a movement that sought to foster black pride and throw off the cultural influences of European colonisation.

• At the Ancestors' Conference by the Ghanaian artist, El Anatsui, estimated at £20,000-30,000. It is part of the Ancestor series, a group of figurative sculptures the artist executed in 1995.

• A Throne for Two Kings by the Mozambican Gonçalo Mabunda, estimated at £10,000-15,000. The artist grew up at the height of the civil war that ravaged Mozambique from 1977- 1995, an experience reflected in his work. A Throne for Two Kings has been constructed from gun parts and bullet casings which have been welded into a careful decorative arrangement.

The auction will also include six artworks originally in the collection of the renowned art patron and philanthropist, Jean Pigozzi. When Pigozzi visited the seminal exhibition at the Centre Georges Pompidou, Magiciens de la Terre, in 1989, he was greatly excited by a number of works by contemporary African artists, many of whom had never before exhibited overseas.

Over the following years, Pigozzi built the most extensive private collection of contemporary African art, part of which he sold in 1999 to fund the Jean Pigozzi Prize for Contemporary African Art - awarded to a sub-Saharan contemporary painter, sculptor or photographer.

https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/25572/

Professor Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers".

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by naptu2: 9:27am On Mar 01, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by rawtouch: 9:31am On Mar 01, 2018
cool..

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by rheether(f): 9:32am On Mar 01, 2018
Everything is art. Even this post is art.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by hubtiva: 9:32am On Mar 01, 2018
na waooo, not like the once i use to see in gtb

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by uuzba(m): 9:33am On Mar 01, 2018
Boys here on NL can produce better graphics than this now.
I just don't get this art of a thing.
To all artist out there. ... May your work sell like this guy's work ... whatever criteria una dey use judge am.

23 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by olaolulazio(m): 9:33am On Mar 01, 2018
Lovely
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by marvin906(m): 9:33am On Mar 01, 2018
art is life smiley smiley
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by HeyCorleone(m): 9:38am On Mar 01, 2018
uuzba:
To all artist out there. ... May your work sell like this guy's work ... whatever criteria una dey use judge am.

An artwork has greater value when the artist is dead. Plus he must have a robust collection, some belonging to the creme de la crème of the society.

6 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by jonadaft: 9:38am On Mar 01, 2018
grin
Art is very foolish I swear.

I just don't get.

Humans have different priorities sha

I can never buy that thing for more than 2k in naira. grin

When you just have too much money and don't know how to spend it...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Fianze93(m): 9:39am On Mar 01, 2018
Ego rie nsị

3 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by iboboyswag(m): 9:40am On Mar 01, 2018
uuzba:

You need to look closely with the heart to understand... Mind you its not for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by anochuko01(m): 9:40am On Mar 01, 2018
person go just scribble postal colour con dey sell for ridiculous monii. I nor just understand

2 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 01, 2018
Cool.Nice work
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by kolawoleibukun: 9:41am On Mar 01, 2018
good job africa
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:41am On Mar 01, 2018
Art sef. Me I will never understand it.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by chukslawrence(m): 9:43am On Mar 01, 2018
hmm
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Dottore: 9:45am On Mar 01, 2018
I'm happy that African artists particularly Nigerians are now recognized in the global market.

3 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by martineverest(m): 9:45am On Mar 01, 2018
lesson for Nigerian artistes and artists that lack vision and creativity
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by martineverest(m): 9:47am On Mar 01, 2018
anochuko01:
person go just scribble postal colour con dey sell for ridiculous monii.
I nor just understand
same way naija musicians churn out craps and get paid hugely
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by semyman: 9:47am On Mar 01, 2018
PMB's son is back
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by free2ryhme: 9:47am On Mar 01, 2018
naptu2:

Bonhams auction house sold several expensive pieces of African art yesterday in London and the star of the show was Tutu, a painting by Professor Ben Enwonwu.

However, Bonhams also had an event at the Wheatbaker Hotel, 4 Onitolo Road, Ikoyi in Lagos where guests watched a live stream of the event and could also bid for items that were on sale. Several of the items, including "African Dancers" by Professor Enwonwu, were bought by guests in Lagos.

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by martineverest(m): 9:48am On Mar 01, 2018
Dottore:
I'm happy that African artists particularly Nigerians are now recognized in the global market.
are u just waking up? Nigerian and African artists have been recognised worldwide
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by free2ryhme: 9:48am On Mar 01, 2018
Jonathan:
grin
[s]Art is very foolish I swear.

I just don't get.

Humans have different priorities sha

I can never buy that thing for more than 2k in naira. grin

When you just have too much money and don't know how to spend it..[/s].

for this your useless comment take am

11 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by nwabobo: 9:51am On Mar 01, 2018
naptu2:

Another bad day for ndi Afonja aka skull miners.

4 Likes

Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by anochuko01(m): 9:57am On Mar 01, 2018
martineverest:
same way naija musicians churn out craps and get paid hugely
no o. I still see a difference...even though I'm not a fan.
most people don't fancy paintings. I prefer sculptures and crafts though.
Re: Ben Enwonwu's "African Dancers" Sold To Bidder At Lagos Auction Event. by Diso60090(m): 9:59am On Mar 01, 2018
is late Ben osawie not Ben osawe's may your gentle soul rest in peace papa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Creative Art Work Done On Hands - Pictures / A Nairalander's Photo-realistic Drawing Of Senator Binta Masi / CORELDRAW | PHOTOSHOP | ILLUSTRATOR | Training For Beginners (VIDEO TUTORIALS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.