Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) (17099 Views)

See The Full Details Of Lagos State Govt. Reduction Of Land Use Charge / The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge / Land Use Charge Law Of 2018: Things You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by bloomstar: 8:18am On Mar 04, 2018
Emperor07:

Wic kind person u b
What's S
Ftc go do u strong thing ooo

lol, na the hustle o
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by SamoaJoe: 8:26am On Mar 04, 2018
If I were Lagosians, I won't pay a dime. No property is lagos is valued at 10 million. There are houses in lagos worth 400 millon and they pay over 300k already per year.

Peter Obi tried such rubbish in Anambra and we killed it by not paying. When you come to a whole street of 100 houses and 99 refused to pay, will you arrest 99 landlords or seal their houses? And you do this the whole state?

That means you will loose the next election woefully.

7 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Shehucom(m): 8:35am On Mar 04, 2018
FarahAideed:
From your tone it's clear you are part of the direct beneficiary of the impending 200 % LUV hike and that's ok but ist wrong for you to deceive tenants that LUC hike won't affect them when in reality they are the only ones it would affect ..its no secret that a major constituent of what we call rent in Lagos is LUC and the cost of LUC is always carefully hidden inside rent ..so in reality the only people the hike is targeted are the tenants and not property owners like you would erroneously want tenants to believe, in reality the landlord is just collector on behalf of the govt.
You're Absolutely on point, it's like saying a hike in fuel price would only affect bus drivers and not passengers. In this case of LUC, I make bold to say that the tenants are at the receiving end.

4 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by CocoaOla: 8:40am On Mar 04, 2018
And if looters handle all that monies eh the rest is stories ooo consider the poorer too
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Nobody: 8:54am On Mar 04, 2018
bunch of insatiable kleptos! brace up lagosians!... HUGE rent increase loading...

2 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by ChidiAlaigbo: 9:01am On Mar 04, 2018
yeyerolling:
As soon as they drop it for us. I open it and bin it. We no go pay come beat us

Then go back to your papa land, nobody invited you to lagos ok
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by ChidiAlaigbo: 9:01am On Mar 04, 2018
Seenyo:
bunch of insatiable kleptos!
brace up lagosians!... HUGE rent increase loading...

Yes o, or just vamooze.......port back to your papa land

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by ChidiAlaigbo: 9:04am On Mar 04, 2018
SamoaJoe:
If I were Lagosians, I won't pay a dime. No property is lagos is valued at 10 million. There are houses in lagos worth 400 millon and they pay over 300k already per year.

Peter Obi tried such rubbish in Anambra and we killed it by not paying. When you come to a whole street of 100 houses and 99 refused to pay, will you arrest 99 landlords or seal their houses? And you do this the whole state?

That means you will loose the next election woefully.

Useless citizen.

After you will be looking for responsible government. Of course, you are from that useless part of the country. Rent sef na wahala for your people to pay yet na you wan showoff pass.

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 04, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

Yes o, or just vamooze.......port back to your papa land
mis-informed baaaastard! Lagos is my state of origin & ain't nothing you deluded rogue can do about it!

kiss the dust kid!
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 04, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

Useless citizen.

After you will be looking for responsible government. Of course, you are from that useless part of the country. Rent sef na wahala for your people to pay yet na you wan showoff pass.

What has the govt done with all the trillions they have been collecting. A street has no tarred road, no waste removal, blocked drainage , no water, no electricity, no security. After paying the LUC for 5 years yet no govt presence in your locality. Isn't it absurd to continue paying. As far as I know the money should be used for development. And not when govt do only a small major road we begin to hail them.

3 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Bokennie: 9:18am On Mar 04, 2018
Abeg oo. Where these abgero money dey go sef dem go collect from buses, keke, okoda. Thats where the real money oo. Some pay as much as 2500,3000 daily in some parts of lagos some even pay more. Nobe tax be dat. I never govt talk abt that one before.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Housing(m): 9:19am On Mar 04, 2018
Op after the 40% deduction. For example a property valued at N10Million after the deduction you have N6Million to be charged LUC on. What is the percentage rate used to arrive at N15,000.00? Op pease stop spreadiing lies.

This Ambode government is insensitive, that is how he introduced the wicked water bill until which is been challenged in a court of law. Same way he increased land survey rate, for places like Ikorodu, Badagry, Epe and other agrarian Communities from a 180k to 350k. Lagos Mainland like Surulere from 180k to 600k and now survey for Lagos Island and Lekki, Victoria Island, Ikoyi are now N1Million and N1.5Million respectively.

Whenever he introduced the wicked bills and laws he will ensure the media are salient about it, as they are paid to do so you can only read such from media not popular in the southwest. Now that Lagosians are complaining because have been served the wicked LUC bill, you are here again trying to misinterprete, misinform and decisive people to accept the wicked bill.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by dancewith: 9:20am On Mar 04, 2018
Very informative thread. Following
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Ojuororun(m): 9:21am On Mar 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Ambode is just trying to steal from Lagosians legally.......

Eko ti baje......
eko bajeti...
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Lexusgs430: 9:31am On Mar 04, 2018
Ojuororun:
eko bajeti...

All the waste littering nko? I am surprised a massive epidemic is not yet engulfed Eko ti baje....... �
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by danvon(m): 9:35am On Mar 04, 2018
Ambode is a communist
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by SamoaJoe: 9:39am On Mar 04, 2018
ChidiAlaigbo:

Useless citizen.

Don't go and hustle mofo. Be looking for Igbo landlords to hustle.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Redoil: 9:44am On Mar 04, 2018
They collect all forms of tax and steal the proceed withou fear or favour. Yeye people
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Ojuororun(m): 9:49am On Mar 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

All the waste littering nko? I am surprised a massive epidemic is not yet engulfed Eko ti baje....... �
if una no want make lagos to spoil pass the way it is now ,...lets comply with government by paying our tax........hmmn
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:52am On Mar 04, 2018
Informative & educative.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by 36STATES: 9:52am On Mar 04, 2018
davodyguy:
Sequel the the thread that made the front page last week, wherein I promised to create a topic to address the issue, I've decided to do so in series. On this thread, we would try to address critical issues regarding the LUC and how it affects you.

What is property tax? According to wiki: A property tax or millage rate[1] is an ad valorem tax on the value of a property, usually levied on real estate. The tax is levied by the governing authority of the jurisdiction in which the property is located

The above definition tells us that it a tax on real estate asset, let me say tangible assets, like your land and all improvements on that land.

What is Tenement rate in Nigeria, we came to know the property tax as tenement rate, which could mean the same thing. In other country, they call it property tax, but in Nigeria, it was known as tenement rate. The local government do collect it prior to 2001 in Lagos State, Hence its a local tax by the local administration on all properties at the province or local level to generate income for the government, in oder to provide infrastructures.

What is Land Use Charge? As posited above, we had the tenement rate and some other property based taxes that are to be paid by owners of land (not tenants). Bola Ahmed Tinubu became Governor of Lagos State in 1999 and realized the poor collection of the tenement rate and inability of the local government to point out strategic programs that the funds were channeled to. Remember, we were under the military rule until 1999, hence the corruption was so obvious.

BAT then created the LUC, which unified the entire taxes to be paid on land as the Land Use Charge. The land Use charge is the combination of tenement rate, Neighborhood charge and Ground rent. Let me explain what Neighborhood charge and Ground rent means

Tenement rate: Tax payable annually on your landed property in the area it is located, to local government
Neighborhood Charge: Payment of tax for the uplift of the neighborhood where your property is located
Ground Rent: Remember the land use Act of 1978 vested the ownership of all Land to the State government, hence everyone is a tenant with the government for 99 years. Remember also that your C of O is only for 99 years max, hence the rent you pay Government annually is called Ground rent. Payable to the state government

The above 3 distinct taxes were harmonize by BAT as one and the responsibility of collection was placed in the hands of the state government, who will then spend the money on the entire state for the benefits of all. For instance, Instead of the local government chairman to collect tenement rate on a property worth N5 billion naira in Ikoyi and spend the money on frivolous things like boreholes etc the state government will collect and spend on meaningful projects spread across the 20LGAs and 37 LCDAs

In 2001, BAT came up with the Land Use Charge Law No. 11 of 2001 of Lagos State. The Land Use Charge Law which is applicable to all properties in Lagos State as a unified property charge, came into operation on the June 22, 2001 (“LUCL”).

The LUC has been there since 2001 and all forms of tenement rate was no longer collected after the unification. But many Nigerians do not know. Nigerians, I mean all of us, cos Igbo's, Yoruba's, Hausa, TIV, American, British, Lebanese, Indian, Ghanians etc own properties in Lagos. Many ous do not pay taxes at all on anything. This is the truth.Up till today March 3rd, many of us don't even Pay at all, but we love to criticize the government.

Remember, Tax is a civic responsibility. Go to UK, ask all the players in the EPL how much they pay as taxes. It's up to 30% of what they earn weekly, hence the UK is progressing cos of successful tax administration.

Conclusion, LUC had been with us since 2001, but since we don't pay, we have no idea that it exist. The Government of BAT and Fashola didn't do much to enforce payment and since 2001 to amendment or increment and less than 300,000 properties pay LUC in Lagos State out of over 2,000,000 houses that we have in the Lagos State.

LUC should not be confused as income tax, VAT, Capital gains Tax, Capital Transfer Tax, consumption tax etc.
LUC is tax payable by a Landlord. The person who has money and decided to buy property with his money. The government will tax you and use the money to provide houses for others. Houses are not only for the rich. The poor too deserves to own properties.

I am privileged to have traveled to some countries and did enquire how they do it.

In South Africa, UAE, England, USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ethiopia, Ghana etc all these are applicable.

If you don't own a property, you're not to pay Land Use Charge. It is an ownership tax.

Tell your landlord I said so and it is backed by Law.

All tenants should relax, as this is not for you.

As a private citizen of Nigeria, residing in Lagos, I pay the following

1. Income tax monthly to State government
2. VAT to Federal Government
3. Consumption tax to state
4. LUC to state government cos I own properties

These are applicable in most countries that I've visited.

There are other taxes that has nothing to do with real Estate eg
Consumption tax
VAT
Income tax
Stamp duty
Capital transfer tax etc

I created this thread to educate us on the history of LUC, in order to educate people and would be creating other parts later this month to address

1. The 2018 LUC law
2. Collection
3. Proposed Valuation
4.reliefs provided
5. How the money would be spent.

Feel free to share, just acknowledge the source and not plagiarize.

I am opened to answering any Question at all, pertaining to the LUC. The various LASG officials are interested in how Lagosians feels about this subject, hence they paybvery serious attention to Nairaland, based on my discourse with them yesterday

The moderators (Seun Mynd44) should do the needful by posting this important thread for all to see.

Itesiwaju Eko ati Nigeria, lo je wa logun.

God bless you all

Those places you shamelessly compared to Lagos state have free education for kids, 24/7 electricity, free health care, wonderful roads, jobs for most people. So your comparison makes no sense. I live and own property in UK and I own 2 properties in Lagos. I am happy to pay my council and property tax in UK because I am enjoying what I pay for everyday. What are you enjoying in Lagos that warrant such payment?

9 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by walcolm(m): 10:11am On Mar 04, 2018
@davodyguy,

What's the position of the law on places like oniru who try to collect ground rent from property owners? Is it lawful or the LUC overrides the ground rent they try to collect
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 04, 2018
Ojuororun:
lagos is lagos you can't compere any state with lagos city nigeria.

Gucciboss:
OP please as you took your time to write this, just take a fraction of it to summarize it abeg.
And you point is?

Don't mind the guy above. Many places in Nigeria are much better and liveable than congested Lagos.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by runsgirl: 10:28am On Mar 04, 2018
@DAVODGUY

PLEASE don't ever make reference to the UK Tax and provide incomplete information to Nigerians.

IT is best to talk solely on Nigeria without reference.

Below is the link to social benefits of paying UK tax to UK citizens.

www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

Can you in the same light give the link to social benefits of Tax for Nigerian citizens.

Remember, Tax is a civic responsibility. Go to UK, ask all the players in the EPL how much they pay as taxes. It's up to 30% of what they earn weekly, hence the UK is progressing cos of successful tax administration.

Conclusion, LUC had been with us since 2001, but since we don't pay, we have no idea that it exist. The Government of BAT and Fashola didn't do much to enforce payment and since 2001 to amendment or increment and less than 300,000 properties pay LUC in Lagos State out of over 2,000,000 houses that we have in the Lagos State.

LUC should not be confused as income tax, VAT, Capital gains Tax, Capital Transfer Tax, consumption tax etc.
LUC is tax payable by a Landlord. The person who has money and decided to buy property with his money. The government will tax you and use the money to provide houses for others. Houses are not only for the rich. The poor too deserves to own properties.

I am privileged to have traveled to some countries and did enquire how they do it.

In South Africa, UAE, England, USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ethiopia, Ghana etc all these are applicable.

If you don't own a property, you're not to pay Land Use Charge. It is an ownership tax.

Consumption tax
VAT
Income tax
Stamp duty
Capital transfer tax etc

I created this thread to educate us on the history of LUC, in order to educate people and would be creating other parts later this month to address

1. The 2018 LUC law
2. Collection
3. Proposed Valuation
4.reliefs provided

I am opened to answering any Question at all, pertaining to the LUC. The various LASG officials are interested in how Lagosians feels about this subject, hence they paybvery serious attention to Nairaland, based on my discourse with them yesterday

The moderators (Seun Mynd44) should do the needful by posting this important thread for all to see.

God bless you all[/quote]
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by DeBigFab(m): 10:35am On Mar 04, 2018
Everything you said was OK until you said BAT and Fashola didn't do much on collection of LUC. You lied there. In fact it was Fashola that made it popular. It was Fashola that made people pay willingly because of the way he deployed the resources.

2 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by adidison(m): 11:03am On Mar 04, 2018
You don't provide jobs or increase salary but you are increasing tax?!?!? Remember good governance, 24/7 electricity, healthcare, security, atmosphere for proper employment and good infrastructure is the govt sole responsibility go to US, UK, maybe that's even too much for you, go to common Azerbaijan or Turkey and ask people selling Kebab. I told this to my Nigerian friends, very soon despite all the corruption they will charge for air. They keep comparing only collecting money to UK & US but look away in terms infrastructure. Lagos get tube?

Another problem is other places like Ogbomosho will see this and want to start collecting tax and will tell the peeps in the state "paying tax is your civic responsibility go to UK and see"

Provide just electricity but no O. 2018! People are looking for how to go to the moon Nigerians are still struggling with electricity and you say increase in tax!

Tax ko! Tax ni! Go to Uk and seeNhvgftfhnohvtfswdvhjknhfffxdsegh!

6 Likes

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by NigPatriot(m): 11:41am On Mar 04, 2018
36STATES:

Those places you shamelessly compared to Lagos state have free education for kids, 24/7 electricity, free health care, wonderful roads, jobs for most people. So your comparison makes no sense. I live and own property in UK and I own 2 properties in Lagos. I am happy to pay my council and property tax in UK because I am enjoying what I pay for everyday. What are you enjoying in Lagos that warrant such payment?

A very valid point sir! when people dont see what they are paying for, why then should they keep paying, worse still pay more! People shouldnt be quiet about this development, i expect more stakeholders to rally against this inhumane animosity.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by RexTramadol1: 11:49am On Mar 04, 2018
davodyguy:
Sequel the the thread that made the front page last week, wherein I promised to create a topic to address the issue, I've decided to do so in series. On this thread, we would try to address critical issues regarding the LUC and how it affects you.

What is property tax? According to wiki: A property tax or millage rate[1] is an ad valorem tax on the value of a property, usually levied on real estate. The tax is levied by the governing authority of the jurisdiction in which the property is located

The above definition tells us that it a tax on real estate asset, let me say tangible assets, like your land and all improvements on that land.

What is Tenement rate in Nigeria, we came to know the property tax as tenement rate, which could mean the same thing. In other country, they call it property tax, but in Nigeria, it was known as tenement rate. The local government do collect it prior to 2001 in Lagos State, Hence its a local tax by the local administration on all properties at the province or local level to generate income for the government, in oder to provide infrastructures.

What is Land Use Charge? As posited above, we had the tenement rate and some other property based taxes that are to be paid by owners of land (not tenants). Bola Ahmed Tinubu became Governor of Lagos State in 1999 and realized the poor collection of the tenement rate and inability of the local government to point out strategic programs that the funds were channeled to. Remember, we were under the military rule until 1999, hence the corruption was so obvious.

BAT then created the LUC, which unified the entire taxes to be paid on land as the Land Use Charge. The land Use charge is the combination of tenement rate, Neighborhood charge and Ground rent. Let me explain what Neighborhood charge and Ground rent means

Tenement rate: Tax payable annually on your landed property in the area it is located, to local government
Neighborhood Charge: Payment of tax for the uplift of the neighborhood where your property is located
Ground Rent: Remember the land use Act of 1978 vested the ownership of all Land to the State government, hence everyone is a tenant with the government for 99 years. Remember also that your C of O is only for 99 years max, hence the rent you pay Government annually is called Ground rent. Payable to the state government

The above 3 distinct taxes were harmonize by BAT as one and the responsibility of collection was placed in the hands of the state government, who will then spend the money on the entire state for the benefits of all. For instance, Instead of the local government chairman to collect tenement rate on a property worth N5 billion naira in Ikoyi and spend the money on frivolous things like boreholes etc the state government will collect and spend on meaningful projects spread across the 20LGAs and 37 LCDAs

In 2001, BAT came up with the Land Use Charge Law No. 11 of 2001 of Lagos State. The Land Use Charge Law which is applicable to all properties in Lagos State as a unified property charge, came into operation on the June 22, 2001 (“LUCL”).

The LUC has been there since 2001 and all forms of tenement rate was no longer collected after the unification. But many Nigerians do not know. Nigerians, I mean all of us, cos Igbo's, Yoruba's, Hausa, TIV, American, British, Lebanese, Indian, Ghanians etc own properties in Lagos. Many ous do not pay taxes at all on anything. This is the truth.Up till today March 3rd, many of us don't even Pay at all, but we love to criticize the government.

Consumption tax
VAT
Income tax
Stamp duty
Capital transfer tax etc

1. The 2018 LUC law
2. Collection
3. Proposed Valuation
4.reliefs provided

God bless you all

Make brain....... But make Lasg give me job, I go proclaim ds good news reach anywia say Dem must pay tax o

Buh bfr den........ M going to keep facing front.
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by shadeyinka(m): 12:13pm On Mar 04, 2018
davodyguy:

God bless you all
You have written an over optimistic thesis on tax especially with Lagos in perspective and to a large extent, I agree with you except that I am angry with us as a nation.

Why?

1. Our tax administration record is zero!
No one can feel what our collective money (not just tax) is used for.
2. Embezzlement and Corruption by Tax administrators (Governors, LG Chairmen etc). It is appalling

It seems tax sensitization and enforcement is just for giving thoses thieves more of our money to enrich themselves.

I came out of the streets of Italy one Night (about 4 am) and I saw city cleaning at its peak. Refuse disposal, street sweeping, washing...I was impressed. No wonder, everywhere is clean.

Unless we settle these two issues. It is a sad exploitative endevour

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by Tinalex(f): 12:13pm On Mar 04, 2018
I have no probs with all this taxes but after payment what social amenities is derived from it?

1 Like

Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by davodyguy: 12:41pm On Mar 04, 2018
walcolm:
@davodyguy,

What's the position of the law on places like oniru who try to collect ground rent from property owners? Is it lawful or the LUC overrides the ground rent they try to collect
They're to pay LUC. By the Land Use Act 1978, all land belongs to the state government
Re: Land Use Charge In Lagos State. What It Is And What Its Not Part 1 (march 2018) by davodyguy: 12:43pm On Mar 04, 2018
Tinalex:
I have no probs with all this taxes but after payment what social amenities is derived from it?
Great question.
Be rest assured that the H.E Ambode will provide more infrastructures for the benefit of all Lagosians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NEW BUSINESS PLAN, AMAZING FUTURE MONEY PROMO & INVESTMENT #TRUST ME NO REGRET / Fire Guts Magrellos Event Centre In Ogudu,ojota Lagos / Flourish Gardens Estate, opp. Abijo GRA, Lekki Gov's Consent (N2.5Million/Plot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.