Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire (13424 Views)

Living A Perfect Christian Life Is Hard But Possible / Why Young People Don't Like Going To Church - Olamide Obire / Dr. Fayemi Meets Leadership Of Deeper Christian Life Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 6:15pm On Mar 05, 2018
Believers, not only is the Christian life hard to live by human effort, it is impossible to live. Only Christ can, so we have nothing to boast about. This is why we sing “‘tis no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me.” Here’s an illustration:

I'd been doing my best to resolve the mosquito issues we'd been experiencing at my home for some months. This breed of mosquitoes seemed to laugh off regular insecticides when I used it on them. I'd use Baygon on them and see their dead bodies strewn all over the floor afterwards but our relief was always short-lived; they'd be humming all over the place again within hours! They tormented me day and night.

But one day, I remembered Integrated Science or was it Home Economics from secondary school: mosquitoes need stagnant water to breed! I rushed outside: close to our living room windows were two buckets, both of them half-filled with rain/tap water, and with all sorts floating thereon. Mosquitoes everywhere!

My point is no matter how often I sprayed the house with insecticide, our respite from mosquitoes would always be temporary unless their breeding places got destroyed. Plus insecticides have their own harmful effects on humans and the mosquitoes would eventually become resistant to them too. Getting rid of them would only become more difficult. How does this relate to living the Christian life? Romans 5:19 says-

"For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."

From the above verse, we see that committing acts of sin is not what makes people sinners. People are made sinners by Adam's sin. Everyone descended from Adam is born with this sin/old nature. The stagnant water in the buckets represents man having the old nature inherited from Adam. The mosquitoes that bothered me represent acts of sin as well as sickness, lack, stress and everything that came to be as a result of Adam's fall. Having this root of sin (stagnant water) is what causes the mosquitoes (acts of sin, sickness, lack, etc) to proliferate. We see this in Romans 7:5-

"When we were controlled by our old nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death."

Unfortunately in the church today, the focus is on preaching the killing of mosquitoes (acts of sin) by using insecticides (law-keeping) as the path to attaining righteousness, when what is needful is ridding the flock of the old/sin nature that was inherited from Adam (getting rid of the stagnant water.) Christ died to rid us of this old/sin nature. See Colossians 2:11–

“When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision—the cutting away of your sinful nature.”

In Him, we are a new creation. God made Him to be sin for us so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him, as it is written in 2 Cor. 5:21-

"For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."

When you receive the abundance of grace and believe that you are saved and made righteous by the obedience of Christ (Romans 5:19) and not your own obedience or your self-discipline and law-keeping prowess, you no longer have the old/sin nature. You are dead to the law. Old things have passed away. No more curse. You are a new creation in Christ Jesus, made righteous not by your own obedience to the law but by Christ’s obedience (Romans 5:19.) And this is the result according to Romans 7:4-

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, this is the point: You died to the power of the law when you died with Christ. And now you are united with the One who was raised from the dead. As a result, we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God."

Understand what it means to have "died with Christ" and to be "united with the One who was raised from the dead." God did not raise the Lord Jesus from the dead just because He could. Christ's death and resurrection is the divine receipt showing that we who believe have been forgiven of all of our sins and made righteous by His one sacrifice for sins. See this in Romans 4:23-

“Who was betrayed and put to death because of our misdeeds and was raised to secure our justification (our acquittal), [making our account balance and absolving us from all guilt before God]." See the TPT version: “Jesus was handed over to be crucified for the forgiveness of our sins and was raised back to life to prove that He had made us right with God!”

Christ would not have risen from the dead if our lifetime of sins had not been forgiven and we had not been declared righteous (justified,) all apart from works. His resurrection is akin to seeing someone who went to serve a death sentence in an impregnable prison for the crimes of another alive and walking free. As believers, we have everlasting righteousness apart from works because Christ is risen. When we believe that He is risen (that we are made righteous by His obedience and not our puny efforts at doing good things and obeying the letter that kills,) we get to "produce a harvest of good deeds for God," aka works of faith, yet not us but Christ in us.

Instead of stagnant water (sin nature) in vessels that can only produce acts of sin and such that lead to death, in Christ, we have His righteousness, so we get to live right! Just as the sin nature produces acts of sin, as a new creation with Christ as our righteousness, we bear fruit to righteousness, yet not us but Christ in us.

In essence, no matter how many canisters of insecticide one expends in a bid to kill the mosquitoes (trying hard by one's power to be sin-free through obedience to the letter that kills,) without getting rid of the stagnant water (rejecting the old nature that was inherited from Adam and receiving our Lord Jesus' blood-bought righteousness which is given as a gift to all who believe Him according to 2 Corinthians 5:21,) he can never be free from mosquitoes (acts of sin.) He has the old (sinner) nature. Sin will multiply and the result is death.

Remember Romans 6:14- “For sin shall not have dominion over you for you are not under law but under grace.” Sin has dominion over those who are trying to obey the law in order to be godly (be like God.)

This is why many in the church today are trapped in an endless cycle of committing acts of sin and attending deliverance/curse-breaking sessions all in a bid to be free from one bondage or the other that Christ hung on the cross and died to free us from. Like my insecticide and mosquitoes experience, any results will be short-lived. The old nature is still intact so no matter how much such do to be free from their "mosquitoes" of acts of sin, sickness, lack, depression, etc, more will come.

The one with the old nature rejects the gift of righteousness that Christ died that we might have and strives to attain righteousness/godliness (be like God) by human effort, just like Eve did. He does not believe Romans 5:19– "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."

But Romans 3:20 says :"For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are."

Also, Galatians 5:4 says "For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace."

Yet in many places of worship, people are being subtly taught to reject the gift of righteousness that Christ died that we might have and depend on their own "menstrual rag" righteousness from works of the law. Isaiah 64:6 shows us God's view of the "good things" we do in order to be righteous: "We are all like one who is unclean, all our so-called righteous acts are like a menstrual rag in your sight."

Only the blood-bought righteousness that proceeds from the obedience of the Lord Jesus Christ will suffice for God the Righteous and He freely gives it to all who believe.

Grace is undeserved, unmerited favour. If one iota of our strength is in it, it is no longer Grace (Romans 11:6,) and only by grace through faith are we saved, so we have nothing to boast of in ourselves (Ephesians 2:8-9,) not our own self-discipline, giving, morality, evangelism, tithe payment, dedication or right-living prowess. Wonderful as these things are, they cannot save anybody. Doing them in order to gain God's favour and acceptance is rejecting the gift of righteousness that Christ died that we might have; it is akin to killing mosquitoes inside your house but ignoring their breeding ground. Only in the Beloved are we accepted. Ephesians 1:6.

With the Lord as our righteousness, the old nature is no more; "all these things shall be added unto you." We get to be transformed to the image of the glory of the Lord, from glory to glory, through no effort of ours but by His Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18.) We get to live in triumph over sin, stress, sickness and every ill. We get to love proclaiming Jesus. We get to live a life of moral excellence even beyond that which the law demands, yet not us but Christ in us.

Romans 5:17 says: "For the sin of this one man, Adam, caused death to rule over many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and His gift of righteousness, for all who receive it will live in triumph over sin and death through this one Man, Jesus Christ."

This death that is as a result of Adam’s offence is not necessarily immediate. It is a process. Fear, stress, worry, silly mistakes, working so hard only to lose it all, sickness, lack, depression, fast-tracked ageing are all death begun. God said to Adam "for in the day of thine eating of it -- dying thou dost die." Psalms 90:4 says of God "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by,"; Moses wrote this concerning God's view of the life of man (v.3.) Adam did not give up the ghost immediately after his death sentence came into effect; he lived for almost 1,000 years aka one day gone by in the sight of God.

Not only is the Christian life hard to live by human effort, it is impossible to live. Only Christ can. This is why we sing “‘tis no longer I that liveth, but Christ that liveth in me.” Only with the abundance of grace and having Christ as our righteousness do we get to live in triumph over sin and death.

Sinners are made righteous by "one Man's obedience": Christ's; when we believe that God "made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Cor. 5:21. Here, we are a new creation in Christ. When you believe that your right-standing with God and His blessings upon you have got nothing to do with what you did or did not do but have ALL to do with what Christ has done, the old (sinner) nature is no more. The stagnant water is gone.

There might still be some mosquitoes (acts of sin, sickness, etc) inside your house after the stagnant water (old nature) is removed but they will all die off and there will be none to replace them
. Remember, “The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day.” Proverbs 4:18. Things will only get better and you will no longer continue to live in sin because you have the only brand of righteousness that counts before God: Christ’s.

In place of the root of sin (stagnant water) that produces acts of sin (death-bearing mosquitoes,) we have Christ's righteousness so we bear fruit to God. We get to produce "a harvest of good deeds for God." No more mosquitoes (acts of sin) but abundant life, right living and every blessing of God in Christ! This is the Good News.

Believe Right and you will Live Right.

http://rightbelieving101..com.ng/2018/02/why-is-christian-life-so-hard.html?m=1

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 8:41pm On Mar 05, 2018
Hai
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:48am On Mar 06, 2018
Booo
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by ifenes(m): 10:02am On Mar 06, 2018
Cos it’s fake news

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by CAPSLOCKED: 1:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
NATURE WILL ALWAYS HAVE IT'S WAY.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 06, 2018
The Christian life isn’t hard...

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
This is the whole truth.
Oh Lord make them see this truth like you make me see it for understanding comes from you. In Jesus name, Amen

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Janeyinspires(f): 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
Trying soo hard to be holy was what made me to conclude that Christianity is hard;in a post I made on my blog.

I was depending on my own effort,not knowing that Christ is my holiness.And He has given me the free gift of righteousness.(Rom5:17)

Of a truth,no one can fulfill the law.That was why Christ came.He fulfilled the law on our behalf.
So,we should all stop trying to fulfill the law on our own, and start resting in what Jesus did for us.......don't know who this is meant for out there.
You shall know the truth and it shall set you free.
Do you know that Romans 6:7 says, "he that is dead is freed from sin?"

Christ died in our place,so we are now free from sin.
Keep rolling'em out,jiggaz.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Mandrake007(m): 8:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
Brother,holiness is perfection and that I believe is unattainable,if we're gonna be judged on the basis of our sins we'll all go to hell because the earth itself is ruled by the devil and sin has been embedded in us,i think the criteria for holiness would be the pureness of our hearts..

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
Janeyinspires:
Trying soo hard to be holy was what made me to conclude that Christianity is hard;in a post I made on my blog.

I was depending on my own effort,not knowing that Christ is my holiness.And He has given me the free gift of righteousness.(Rom5:17)

Of a truth,no one can fulfill the law.That was why Christ came.He fulfilled the law on our behalf.
So,we should all stop trying to fulfill the law on our own, and start resting in what Jesus did for us.......don't know who this is meant for out there.
You shall know the truth and it shall set you free.
Do you know that Romans 6:7 says, "he that is dead is freed from sin?"

Christ died in our place,so we are now free from sin.
Keep rolling'em out,jiggaz.
Thank you dear...

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
bloodofthelamb:
This is the whole truth.
Oh Lord make them see this truth like you make me see it for understanding comes from you. In Jesus name, Amen
Amen my bro...
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
Mandrake007:
Brother,holiness is perfection and that I believe is unattainable,if we're gonna be judged on the basis of our sins we'll all go to hell because the earth itself is ruled by the devil and sin has been embedded in us,i think the criteria for holiness would be the pureness of our hearts..
No.. The criteria for our holiness is Christ Jesus not the pureness of our hearts... Our self righteousness is like filthy rag before Him.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 9:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
Thoniameek:
The Christian life isn’t hard...
You didn't read the article... With our own effort, it is very hard but with Christ it's very easy and it boils down to His Finished work at the Cross.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by jiggaz(m): 7:39am On Mar 18, 2018
Peace
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 18, 2018
Christian living is not hard when you surrender totally to Christ and not struggling, Apostle Paul when he was still struggling, was wailing in Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?, but when he surrender his will and self to Christ he said in Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me and in Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by DIKEnaWAR: 9:08am On Mar 18, 2018
Cos it's a thug life baby...

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Liveair: 9:09am On Mar 18, 2018
It's hard because it was programmed to make you feel so inadequate such that a need for a Savior is created.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by calddon(m): 9:09am On Mar 18, 2018
its hard for those who remember the life only on sundays
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by afroniger: 9:09am On Mar 18, 2018
Because 'Christian life' is a scam and a FAKE life. It is a life of hypocrisy. A life of living a doulble-life. A life that was invented by organized religion to control and keep gullible people in line. It is a life of living a LIE.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Jamiubond009(m): 9:09am On Mar 18, 2018
J
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:10am On Mar 18, 2018
The life of Christ is not hard but the life of organised religion is due to man made rules and bottlenecks

3 Likes

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by SuperSuave(m): 9:11am On Mar 18, 2018
Someone told me this week that "There's joy in Christianity" I said "really?" she was surprised cos I go to church also

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by Man2utd(m): 9:12am On Mar 18, 2018
Christian life seems hard because it gives rest of mind.

It says thou shall not steal, if you don't steal you don't have to worry that someone is after you.

It says do not commit adultery- So the husband won't find out someday and hack your neck.

Love your neighbour as yourself - it gives you peace of mind to know you don't harbour hatred in your heart.

Avoid fornication- you don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancy and STDs.

1 Like

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by knowyaself2(m): 9:12am On Mar 18, 2018
Because it is a lie.
Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by winj3: 9:12am On Mar 18, 2018
It is so hard because most believers are illiterates and m0rons, people who are mentally and intellectually challenged - otherwise how could a f0ol claim only Christ can when that f0ol never met or have any evidence of Christ existence!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is The Christian Life So Hard? - Olamide Obire by KKKWHITE(m): 9:14am On Mar 18, 2018
The Christian life is not hard life your life the right way and don't get so much obsessed about the things of this world

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Types Of Prayers Mentioned In The Bible. / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome An Amorc Rosicrucian Order Member(ogboni / Born-again Cchristain Singles Group...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.