Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:55 AM

MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery (5352 Views)

Zain Nigeria Finally Dissolves Into Bharti Airtel For $9 Billion / How Do I Become A Distributor With MTN, Glo And Zain? / Mtn, Glo And Zain Printing Recharge Card Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by cecegorz(m): 3:15pm On Apr 28, 2010
Hey folks,

I have a question for you guys on this recent plot by MTN and ZAIN to milk country pple of their hard earned monies
If you use any of these networks, you probably get at least 2 sms everyday asking you to send 'GO' or 'WIN' to their designated numbers inorder to win the days' #2m or the months' #10m. Each text actually costs #100 bucks

Is this actually a promo or a plain old Baba Ijebu lottery. Personally i see it as a lottery because you are not really buying any product unlike in 'recharge with Bleep naira and get yyy naira free'

I am just imagining how many free millions of bucks that are rolling into their coffers per seconds.

Another issue is whether they have authorized licence from the National lottery commission to do such

What do y'all think
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by tempest01(m): 4:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
Men na so we dey see am they have eaten my 1000 since then i've stopped texting. The way they write the text sef it is like you have already won.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by Yorinwa111: 7:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
They (MTN and ZAIN) make 80 to 90 percent on every money they give to any one. Don't mind them.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by cecegorz(m): 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2010
tempest01:

Men na so we dey see am they have eaten my 1000 since then i've stopped texting. The way they write the text sef it is like you have already won.

I feel you, bro.
Now imagine what they spin off out of their close to 20million subscribers each, but what still baffles me is that the stuff is like plain lottery.

Are they now members of the National Sports Lotto
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by deletosin(m): 11:47am On Apr 30, 2010
I've been discarding their SMS everytime I see them. They ought to be stopped from all these lottery activities, what has it got to do with the Telecommunication business they are expected to do. The NCC should rise up to the task b4 they defraud Nigerians of their hard earned monies.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by cecegorz(m): 3:59pm On Apr 30, 2010
Anybody knows anybody that has ever won these games?

What the likely hood of the winning points?

I know folks with over 100,000 points that haven't won nada.

Ideas anyone?
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by kay0195: 4:14pm On Apr 30, 2010
infact eh, the last Glo text for millions promo sucked a whooping N18,000 recharge card off me. sad . I just kept texting and texting and texting and really the way they send u the text makes it look like u have already won. I had over 200,000 points. Thereafter I wondered whether I was under a spell & came to my senses no more of all this s*h*i*t whenever I get a text from zain and Mtn these days, I dont waste any second, I just delete them. Its as good as gambling isn't it? undecided
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by ogunsbolly(f): 4:18pm On Apr 30, 2010
cheesy yes o, there are the latest 419s or may I say gajue gang.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by cecegorz(m): 4:38pm On Apr 30, 2010
kay0195:

infact eh, the last Glo text for millions promo sucked a whooping N18,000 recharge card off me.  sad . I just kept texting and texting and texting and really the way they send u the text makes it look like u have already won. I had over 200,000 points. Thereafter I wondered whether I was under a spell & came to my senses no more of all this s*h*i*t whenever I get a text from zain and Mtn these days, I dont waste any second, I just delete them. Its as good as gambling isn't it?  undecided

18 grand!

Babe, u really tried ooo. Methinks there is a clear line between good old Promo and raw Baba Ijebu lottery but our Telcos have blurred the line here.

In a promo you use the product at your conveneince and still have the chance of winning something e.g, 'load #1000 card and stand the chance of winning #1m'. Here, even if i don't win #1m i still use my #1000 recharge for my self.
Just like star lager is doing now with their 'look under the crown promo' even if you don't get anything, you still consume the liquid content.

But in a lottery game, its your money for the winning, either you win or you loose your total money, no other value is added to you.
I just wonder why didn't these telcos say something like 'for every txt msg you send, you get a chance to win #1m' in that case you get value for sending the text to your preferred recipient and still hope for the winning. Rather you just send the text to a machine and get zapped of #100 bucks just like that?

Is the NCC, Consumer protection council and other necessary bodies not able to see beyond the facade?
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by deevick246(m): 12:03am On May 03, 2010
l feel the telecommunication companies are not being fair to Nigerians at all,after the massive profit they realise from the sales of recharge cards yet they are ripping us of our hard earm cash all in the name of making us win millions of naira.If truely they want to reward their customers with the millions of naira,why didnt they make the sending of the text message #10,but rather its #100.l just feel Nigerians should be wise.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by twofive: 8:17pm On May 03, 2010
i think these cpmpanies should be restricted from carrying out these fraudulent campaigns. If you want to appreciate people using your service, you dont ask them to do lottery. subscribers have already done well by accepting to be on these useless service providers networks and then this,
Nigerians are just too gullible and shouldnt fall for this rubbish. we are yet to have a network in Nigeria
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by initiate: 1:39pm On May 05, 2010
actually the operators are allowed by government to play lottery and although they rake in a lot of money about half of it is paid in as tax.

and yes, some people actually win and be;live me it is not staged. but when the odds are about a million to one, you know what your chances are.

but if you look at it in perspective it is better to use your money to play the game that you have .001% of winning rather than using it to buy cigarette which gives you 100% chance of dying young
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by kay0195: 10:57pm On May 05, 2010
but if you look at it in perspective it is better to use your money to play the game that you have .001% of winning rather than using it to buy cigarette which gives you 100% chance of dying young

@initiate lol please say something else tongue
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by Nobody: 12:33am On May 06, 2010
Nah i dont do that. You've got to save money and invest, not gambling.
Re: MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery by cecegorz(m): 11:55am On May 07, 2010
initiate:

You take style make sense here, bro.

But my argument is in this line, if they are compelled to do it in line with genuine promo where you can send the text to your prefered receipient and not to a useless number. In that case whether you win the millions or not, you already have value for the text you sent.
Or they can say, for every text message you use on your phone, you have so so number of points

(1) (Reply)

Business Plan/feasibility Study For Rental Business / Platt Price For Pms / Can You Start A Business That Is Contrary To Your Faith?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.