Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? (22792 Views)

Please Kindly Adopt My Daughter / I Did Not Authorize Anybody To Adopt My Son! Pls Help!! / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Topmaike007(m): 9:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
krissconnect:
Now listen to me and listen attentively, I'm a legal practitioner and I'm gonna tell u the truth...

I don't even know
your mumu don dogrin
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Topmaike007(m): 9:50pm On Mar 07, 2018
sexymoma:
Good luck Ngbayen o.
nna see reply oo, nothing we no go see for nairalander.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by AndreRose(f): 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Frankicent(m): 9:52pm On Mar 07, 2018
sexymoma:
Good luck Ngbayen o.

Is that you@ dp ni?
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
Fixed:

The boy's father died 4 months to their wedding and that was many years ago.

Extracted this from her previous threads.
. Let her speak for herself
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
Thanks for your contributions.

Would call up the contacts given and then go from there.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Ekiseme(m): 10:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
sexymoma:
Good luck Ngbayen o.
this one weak me from all angles

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:03pm On Mar 07, 2018
ChiefSweetus:
smiley congrats on your recent marriage

The best way to go about this is to google the closest orphanage to you and visit with gifts. When the proprietress or administrator comes to receive you, start a conversation about adoption process and let her guide you through what's involved. She may also have contacts in the courts who will fast track it on your behalf.

Please buy chocolate for us when you join your husband in AMERICA. God don bless you with nice guy wey go carry you comot this shithole, still adopt your near-teenage son join. Lovely and a good encouragement to other single mothers to keep being amazing and never losing hope if matrimony is what they desire. Bless!

Thanks a lot dear. God bless
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2018
Follygunners:
This OP is very annoying. I can still give you my honest advice...trust me, I know... I know... I know what the fvck I'm saying... from experience.

Just so you're aware, your best option is to first get ur papers and then file for your son afterwards. It's way easier, less-complicated and straight forward. Otherwise, OP is a total slowpoke!

I appreciate your contribution. Thanks
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
lekonso:
You are not serious. You want to adopt a child in Nigeria and you stay put outside the country. Is it from outside the country you will adopt a child? I repeat you are not serious

I’m working na. But would definitely go and do what’s necessary, that’s why I needed to get some info first. If I knew how, I honestly wouldn’t come to ask here.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:08pm On Mar 07, 2018
WhoBeThisMan:
Where is the father if the child? I don't think it's possible to just adopt another man's child just like that

He’s late
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:09pm On Mar 07, 2018
Follygunners:

Imagine your language tone sef... Abeg commot. Just imagine, I have the answer to ur question but, you seem like a rude, spoilt brat!

Lol I’m not oo. Sorry if I sounded that way
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Firstcitizen: 10:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
ekensi01:
grin grin

Before I talk let me congratulate your husband for accepting a broken seal.

After all the warning 'Do not accept if seal is broken'.

Coming to edit
Chai grin grin grin
You fit possess devil with this your spirit of foolishness.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
kekeoj15:
Pardon my ignorance, why would your husband want to adopt your son legally (He can for good reasons, immigrating to the US is not part of it)? Don't tell me it's for immigration purpose. Your son can be filed for as a stepson to your husband, he won't necessarily have to adopt him before filling. Are you not part of the filling? The US consulate will only need you to prove you are the mother (DNA) and have the full custody of the child. I think you're over-complicating issues here.

Thing is the papers has already been filed for him, but it’s going to take much longer to come out due to not being his biological son, having a different surname from me etc. And we want him out as soon as possible. Someone suggested adoption would be a far easier way to go, as they wouldn’t need any more verifications, just the papers showing he’s now my husband’s son. We decided to check out this option and see if it would work.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:18pm On Mar 07, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
Madam before I answer your questions,can you pls clarify on these issues, Where u legally married to the boys father? Did both of you divorce? Is he still alive? Without answering all I ve asked you,sorry I can't help you. Note that the clarity here will be of help to u.

No, I was never married before now. My son’s father died months before our wedding.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:24pm On Mar 07, 2018
TONYEFIBBS:

One's your legally married to him your son automatically qualifies. All your husband need to do is to file for both of u at once as long as u have your sons birth certificate. And you have court documents showing that u have full custody of your son. That's the most important document. I know cause I been through the process. And my son became an American citizen as soon as I file for him when he got here. 7 years ago.

Happy for you smiley

Problem is we were both uninformed. When he filled for me, he thought automatically my son qualifies also since naturally I’m his mother. It was much later they told my husband he needed to file for my son seperately. Now the dilemma is me moving to the states without my son, and not knowing how long it would take for him to come over. Hence we decided to try something that could possibly make the process faster
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:26pm On Mar 07, 2018
younglawya:

Depending on the State you are in there is a procedure to be followed. There is also a court order that must be granted befire the process can be concluded

in summary, a parent –child relationship must have been established (temporary custody) before the court decision can be considered final.

Also, prospective adoptive parents must be at least aged 25 years of age and 21 years older than the child. For a married couple, one of the parents must meet the age requirement.

Some of the documents required are
birth certificate .
Pictures of the child,
Marriage Certificate
Proof of Nigerian citizenship
A police report

You can reach me on 07037836881 if you have any questions

Thank you so much. Would contact you tomorrow.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by nothernstar: 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

I’m not in the country at the moment, so I can’t do that
so you eloped with another man. Now you want to abduct another man's son eh. Where is his father, is he aware of your steps? Or do you want to regret this later. The child belongs to a man somewhere or did you buy the sperm in the market to fertiliser yourself. Look before you leap.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Sanchase: 10:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
Op so you are baby mama ?
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
Ayodejioak:
How do mean you searched everywhere?

Its boldly written every where on the USCIS website

I assisted a relative the same way.

Here: https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/immigration-through-adoption

No dear. I was asking about the adoption procedure in Nigeria. The USCIS comes in only after that has been completed. But thanks all the same
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 10:38pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

No, I was never married before now. My son’s father died months before our wedding.
. Ok,no kind of marriage rites,bride price,or any form of traditional commitments between your family and his?
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by Adefemiaderoju1: 10:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:
Good Morning people. Please experts in the house I need an urgent reply.

I got married recently but had a son already. My husband wants to adopt my son legally so that he can file his papers for easier and faster migration into the US. My son will be 10 this August.

Searched everywhere on google on the adoption process but didn’t find suitable information. Please how do I go about this??
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:45pm On Mar 07, 2018
Follygunners:

The lady na FOOL. Just wan try show herself na. You dey U.S dey ask foolish question for here. Just imagine!

Oga I’m not in the U.S yet. My job takes me to different countries, the reason I’m not in Nigeria as I type this. But calling me a fool is really unnecessary.

7 Likes

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:49pm On Mar 07, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
. Ok,no kind of marriage rites,bride price,or any form of traditional commitments between your family and his?

No, none
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by kekeoj15: 10:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
You should please read adoption laws in Nigeria, and what the US consulate says about it. That's a tough road to thread, have your husband file for your child as his stepson (This is legit), when and if his case is approved you will need to prove that you are his biological mother. This is not a rocket science. I know friends that have done it, it all came back to the DNA results. Adoption in Nigeria will lengthen your case more than you would ever wished for. You should please educate yourself on what the US Consulate says about adoption from Nigeria.
anitank:

Thing is the papers has already been filed for him, but it’s going to take much longer to come out due to not being his biological son, having a different surname from me etc. And we want him out as soon as possible. Someone suggested adoption would be a far easier way to go, as they wouldn’t need any more verifications, just the papers showing he’s now my husband’s son. We decided to check out this option and see if it would work.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 10:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

No, none
. Then you ve nothing to fear. Get a good attorney,swear affidavit and change the boys name to that of the man since you are now legally married to him. Not a difficult task. Sorry abt my questions ,just to understand the situation well. There is no much procedure.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by beekie(f): 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2018
I will suggest you visit the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development in the State you reside. You will pick up an adoption form there.But what you are filling in will be PRIVATE Adoption as against the usual adoption process.
The requirements are behind the form.You will need serious follow.up to hasten the process. The court seats more often this days for such cases than we had time past.

All the best
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 10:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
kekeoj15:
You should please read adoption laws in Nigeria, and what the US consulate says about it. That's a tough road to trend, have your husband file for your child as his stepson (This is legit), when and if his case is approved you will need to prove that you are his biological mother. This is not a rocket science. I know friends that have done it, it all came back to the DNA results. Adoption in Nigeria will lengthen your case more than you would ever wished for. You should please educate yourself on what the US Consulate says about adoption from Nigeria.

Thanks for this. Knowledge is indeed power. We wanted to thread that path thinking it would be faster and easier. His case is yet to be approved, the reason we wanted to hasten things up. I guess we have to just wait and go the normal way then. Thanks again
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 11:01pm On Mar 07, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
. Then you ve nothing to fear. Get a good attorney,swear affidavit and change the boys name to that of the man since you are now legally married to him. Not a difficult task. Sorry abt my questions ,just to understand the situation well. There is no much procedure.

It’s okay. I don’t mind the questions, I brought my issue here myself. Can I ask how long this process takes?
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:06pm On Mar 07, 2018
anitank:

It’s okay. I don’t mind the questions, I brought my issue here myself. Can I ask how long this process takes?
. Swearing of affidavit for change of name doesn't take time. Provided you and your hubby ve everything necessary to proof that both of you are legally married,ur request shall be granted by the embassy. Nothing like adoption.Ur lawyer can advice you more. Gudluck.
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 11:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
ekensi01:
grin grin

Before I talk let me congratulate your husband for accepting a broken seal.

After all the warning 'Do not accept if seal is broken'.

Coming to edit

grin grin I’ll extend your congratulations to him grin
Re: How Can My Husband Adopt My Son Legally? by anitank(f): 11:08pm On Mar 07, 2018
JONNYSPUTE:
. Swearing of affidavit for change of name doesn't take time. Provided you and your hubby ve everything necessary to proof that both of you are legally married,ur request shall be granted by the embassy. Nothing like adoption.Ur lawyer can advice you more. Gudluck.

Thanks for your time. Really appreciate. Have a good night rest sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Nairalander Wedding Anniversary Family Pictures / Are Introverts Born Or Made? / Women, DNA Testing Is Not A Home Breaker: It Can Vindicate You (opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.