Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport (17223 Views)

‘ghosts’ Set Shops Ablaze In Anambra Over High Cost Of Goods (photo) / People Wearing White Take Over Ikeja, Shops Locked, Streets Deserted (Photo) / Abuja Traders Using Cars As Shops Because Of High Cost Of Rent (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 5:23pm On Apr 28, 2010
Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport
April 28, 2010 15:38 (1 hour ago), 337 views
By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Governor Babatunde Fashola is shopping for N73.3 billion to build the proposed Lagos International Airport and the proposed Lekki-Ikoyi bridge.

The first phase of the airport, to be built in Lekki will cost N43.3 billion while the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge will gulp N30 billion. The two projects, P.M.NEWS gathered, will be undertaken under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) initiative of the Lagos State Government.

The governor is already scouting for investors for the projects, which are meant to make Lagos world class attraction and a haven for tourism.

Director-General, Lagos State PPP Office, Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi disclosed that the airport would be provided with modern architectural design and ”is expected to render services to approximately five million passengers per annum.”

On the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge, the PPP boss said the bridge will link Lekki Phase One to Ikoyi across the lagoon and will decongest traffic on the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

http://thepmnews.com/2010/04/28/fashola-shops-for-n733b-for-airport
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by labiyemmy(m): 5:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
nice one.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by candylips(m): 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2010
very progressive
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2010
I know people will say we are always negative even when LASG is taking positive strides, but wasn't the objective of the whole LCC fiasco 'to decongest traffic on the Lekki-Epe Expressway'?

And what volume of air traffic is being expected that cannot be adequately handled by MM International Airport?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by mekuszyx: 5:59pm On Apr 28, 2010
Another avenue to steal. Fasola (whatever that means) should first account for the stolen billions he is accused of, before engineering another strategy to steal even more. Oh! I see, I am not a Lagosian, and so I should not concern myself with Lagos matter. Hhaaahh!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sjeezy8: 6:06pm On Apr 28, 2010
hmm haterz . . .

yesss. bout time - lekki is developing fast- they should scrap all that tourist shiot though and stick to industrial things, infrastructure and homes for middle class.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by rickie4us(m): 6:09pm On Apr 28, 2010
ziddy:

I know people will say we are always negative even when LASG is taking positive strides, but wasn't the objective of the whole LCC fiasco 'to decongest traffic on the Lekki-Epe Expressway'?

And what volume of air traffic is being expected that cannot be adequately handled by MM International Airport?

the LASG is surely taking giant strides and the detractors will always be at work saying he is looking for more ways to siphon funds.

definitely, the construction of a new bridge will ease traffic in the already congested Lekki Area and another airport would also mean Lagos is opening up for another population explotion
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by SkyBlue1: 6:10pm On Apr 28, 2010
mekuszyx:

Another avenue to steal. Fasola (whatever that means) should first account for the stolen billions he is accused of, before engineering another strategy to steal even more. Oh! I see, I am not a Lagosian, and so I should not concern myself with Lagos matter. Hhaaahh!

Could you at least try to read the article next time before commenting. It is a PPP initiative.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sjeezy8: 6:12pm On Apr 28, 2010
ziddy:

o boy you no get brain Lagos population is about 15 million( which is already too much for 1 airport) by 2015 they are expecting population increase to 25 million.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 6:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
ziddy:

Abeg, lets not just criticize blindly.

The governor of Lagos is very resourceful.

First is MMIA handling the current volume of traffic it receives well.

I know your answer will be for expansion and upgrade of MMIA. . .

But, do you remember that when the LASG tried to fix, upgrade and increase the number of lanes leading on to the MMIA, the FG stopped them.

With the politics in Naija, many things don't work well. And the sharp governor is bringing about ways to circumvent all these.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Shock(m): 6:28pm On Apr 28, 2010
The dude should focus on railway service, linking various parts of lagos, that way, traffic can be easily de-congested.

I don't see any point building another airport when the majority of people residing in lagos are still having problems moving around within lagos.

It's just a totally pointless project!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by realborn(m): 6:36pm On Apr 28, 2010
It is thought provoking when some people loose their conscience to a propaganda targeted at tearing apart a once in our life time structure.

For the few decades i have been opportuned to live in Lagos, I have never seen such an immense level of infrstructural development as witnessed since Fashola took over. Even his detractors acknowledged this fact. Thus why are they distracting him with all the allegations and petitions? I am not aversed to raising queries on the procurement method deployed to engage contractors but then considering the appreciable pace of infrastructural changes I am comfortable to say the awards are in order. For example, these contractors work day and night to fix our roads. We wake up to see gulleys fixed. There are still a number of outstanding roads to be fixed but then we have hope because we have evidential proof that someone is thinking. Then who cares if it is only one man that these jobs have been awarded to? As long as the rates in his contract BoQ are in tandem with the prevailing market rates and are competitive with other tenderers then there have been no breach in awarding multiple contracts to the company he (Tunji Olowolafe) represents if there will be ease of management and assurance of qualitative delivery as per project deliverables and scope.

For the records, take it or leave it, Lagos State is a pioneer state for excellence. Only a matter of time and things will be knocked back to shape. I implore us all to support BRF. He may have his flaws and paucities but then we should not use a big stick when all he needs is a stroke of the cain if confirmed wanting. I will seek that the "concerned faceless people" of Lagos State search their hearts and ask themselves where they were when other governments were in power mopping up funds without resistance. History will never and ever forgive them if all the noise was sponsored by some autocratic, ego driven and power drunk merchants unwilling to let go . We want Lagos to work.

@ Topic,

Excellent move Sir. Keep it up. I saw a big board today at the Kuramo (bar) beach reflecting the Atlantic city concept. the billboard was with a WOW effect. In closing I will say BRF has made my driving experience in Lagos a lot better. Bless ya.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by RichDad1(m): 6:37pm On Apr 28, 2010
lekki-ikoyi bridge?The last time i checked (today 28/4/10)that bridge is 40% complete.if you reside @ lekki phase1 or you are very conversant with that road you'll notice.just before wole olateju cr.Its been executed by julius berger.All you haters should back-off.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
sjeezy8:

o boy you no get brain Lagos population is about 15 million( which is already too much for 1 airport) by 2015 they are expecting population increase to 25 million.

Stop talking out of your butt, what percentage of your 15 million can actually afford to fly?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by yemmight(m): 6:58pm On Apr 28, 2010
ziddy:

Stop talking out of your butt, what percentage of your 15 million can actually afford to fly?

Do I have to tell yu that not all 15m from Lagos fly? In Nigerian airports now which is most busy. I beg if we have 2 more airports in Lag its worth. How many airports fly international in naija? I beg you should see good things in development. Anyway, with u or without u, we will have more airports in Lagos.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 7:01pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ziddy

Well, i think, of the 15million population of Lagos, a lot more than can be accommodated by the MMIA can afford to fly.

You can try to see for yourself.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
I think this man is beginning to lose focus. Why not channel the N73billion into the provision of power and repair of so many bad roads in Lagos? This is misplacement of priorities. His policies these days are elitist in nature, and they are not too favourable. I he continues this way, AC might lose this election.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by bawomolo(m): 7:30pm On Apr 28, 2010
sjeezy8:

hmm haterz . . .

yesss. bout time - lekki is developing fast- they should scrap all that tourist shiot though and stick to industrial things, infrastructure and homes for middle class.

what's wrong with a little tourism income?
or you don't want eze uche and mekuxxx to visit you from time to time?
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by adconline(m): 7:37pm On Apr 28, 2010
So 15 million people use MMA daily or weekly? Could you tell me the % of Lagosians that use MMA? Are u talking about roads or MMA? I wonder if most Lagosians know where MMA is located.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Apr 28, 2010
What the heck has the population of Lagos to do with Airport capacity NOW? Majority of those in Lagos can't even afford to pay their rent with ease, let alone travel. Abeg, make we use better reason here, not population to justify this one. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 7:40pm On Apr 28, 2010
Rich Dad:

lekki-ikoyi bridge?The last time i checked (today 28/4/10)that bridge is 40% complete.if you reside @ lekki phase1 or you are very conversant with that road you'll notice.just before wole olateju cr.Its been executed by julius berger.All you haters should back-off.

I was just about to say too. . . . The bridge is already taking shape

Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 8:02pm On Apr 28, 2010
doyin13:

I was just about to say too. . . . The bridge is already taking shape

If the roads are good, and every other infrastructure is in place, we might say this man is bereft of ideas, so lets allow him, but Lagos is still far off expectation, so why another airport? Besides, how many people can afford air transportation in Lagos? All these talks about Lagos being 15million plus, does not hold water, as a very minute population can afford air transportation. If he is short of ideas, he should watch the BBC documentary about Lagos again. He will definitely know what to do. The fact that, it is PPP does not mean anything. PPP can provide houses. PPP can provide electricity. PPP can make the rail come back to live etc.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Kobojunkie: 8:08pm On Apr 28, 2010
Hardtalk:

If the roads are good, and every other infrastructure is in place, we might say this man is bereft of ideas, so lets allow him, but Lagos is still far off expectation, so why another airport? Besides, how many people can afford air transportation in Lagos? All these talks about Lagos being 15million plus, does not hold water, as a very minute population can afford air transportation. If he is short of ideas, he should watch the BBC documentary about Lagos again. He will definitely know what to do. The fact that, it is PPP does not mean anything. PPP can provide houses. PPP can provide electricity. PPP can make the rail come back to live etc.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ziga: 8:10pm On Apr 28, 2010
Hardtalk:

I advise that you take your own advice. The 15 million people talk doesn't hold water.

But go see if MMIA caters adequately for the few people that pass through it daily.

And please do not reply that he should upgrade the FG owned international airport.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2010
ziga:

I advise that you take your own advice. The 15 million people talk doesn't hold water.

But go see if MMIA caters adequately for the few people that pass through it daily.

And please do not reply that he should upgrade the FG owned international airport.

It is you that is even deviating from the truth here. Does Lagosians really need a N73.3billion airport at this moment? U should have provided answer for this question first before advancing. You need to see the real Lagos, and not well decorated area of it. Watch the BBC documentary again, and you will see some part of Lagos, and not the Victoria Island, Lekki, Ikoyi and the rest that you use to portray Lagos.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by doyin13(m): 8:36pm On Apr 28, 2010
Hardtalk:

I am in no way defending the airport building. . . .I think its a misplacement of priorities.

But the bridge is already being built is what I wanted to point out.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 8:47pm On Apr 28, 2010
doyin13:

I am in no way defending the airport building. . . .I think its a misplacement of priorities.

But the bridge is already being built is what I wanted to point out.

I am not against your point dear, I was even in support of providing basic infrastructure that will make life more meaningful. The issue of a forth mainland bridge here has been over flogged, and how near are we to the dream? The same government wants to build another airport for such an amount. Come to think of it, how many people will use that same airport, when a greater percentage of Lagosians lives in the mainland. Go to Alimosho LGA, and water will come out of your eyes. That place is total slum. Lagos should be ashamed of that LGA. Perhaps, he has another interior motive.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by PapaBrowne(m): 9:09pm On Apr 28, 2010
This is so good for Lag.  The Lekki airport is the best thing that would happen to Lagos.
At least, with the airport in Lekki, when foreigners land Lagos, they wouldn't have to see all the mess that is on the mainland.It would be strictly Lekki, VI, Ikoyi.

Now think of this, Abuja wanted to build just a runway in an already built airport for almost 70 billion.Just a run way!!  Lagos is building a world class airport which would include a very sizey runway, world class lounges and all the things we see in foreign airports for just 43 billion!! Oh those thieves in Abuja!!
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by xterra2(m): 9:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
The Lekki-Ikoyi bridge is a good project
If lagos wanna be a mega-city(did i say wanna be it is starting to be) more people would come considering it is the commercial center of this great country.
Okay for dumb people who say that how many lagosians out of   15 million could afford it?Okay maybe 6 or 7 i dont know but what about foreigners who come to nigeria?mostly they come through lagos then use domestic to abuja.(b4 idiots abuse me i said MOSTLY)
And of lagos is a mega city(like i said it is becoming) then more airports would be needed,e.g is London how many airports do they have?(not sure)
And is a PPP
so ,
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by sjeezy8: 9:23pm On Apr 28, 2010
How can you tell a private investor who wants to build an airport in lekki to change and build roads that yield no profit?  

Hes(fashola) is not losing focus because the project is privately funded- meaning you cannot tell investors where to invest their own money.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by Hardtalk: 9:52pm On Apr 28, 2010
Well, we are still waiting and watching. The truth about this airport project will soon be known to all. That is my take on this.
Re: Fashola Shops For N73.3b For Airport by ikeyman00(m): 10:01pm On Apr 28, 2010
@@@@@@@

i m not sure if the pending airport is the right moves

like someone said he fashola might have to watch BBC documentary for an ideas

15 million without good health care;jobs etc

this man need to think again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

With These Your Business And Career Will Take A Giant Leap! / Innoson Boss, Innocent Chukwuma Released On Bail / Dangote To Invest $12 Billion In Nigerian Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.