Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,688 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels (23165 Views)

Shocking Photos Of Dilapidated Government Owned Primary School In Anambra / Shocking Pictures Of Dilapidated School In Essien Udim - Home Of Senator Akpabio / Obafemi Awolowo University Hostels Are Dirty (Disturbing Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by OAUPeeps: 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
The management of Obafemi Awolowo university Ile-Ife has commenced the renovation of Halls of residence in the institution.

Being one of the core Agenda among others of the Ogunbodede Administration to refurbish the aged halls of residence and put to good condition, the hired workers are seen in full force tiling and restructuring dilapidated structures in toilets of Annex block C and D of Fajuyi hall of residence of which signs are seen of work to start sooner on other blocks and likewise the main Blocks of the hall.

According to one of the contractors in Block C that spoke with OAU Peeps News Agency, he said he has come to take the measurement like 6 months ago & that he's just being called to start the work weeks ago, and they will ensure to make done the work as soon as possible.

It will be recalled that the administration of the former Acting Vice chancellor (Prof. Anthony Elujoba) of the institution also took some obvious measure to renovate the toilets in halls of residence and make water supply available during his tenure before the coming into office of Ogunbodede.

Before now, students have taken to social media to complain the devastating status of the great Ife halls of residence and poor infrastructure.

Report has it that the school management is making every possible means to decongest the hostel although the left organisation termed it as 'forceful eviction from hall of residence and outrightly to dehumanize the studentry as they are to go off campus, into the arms of insecurity.""

According to a pharmacy student of Fajuyi hall who pleaded anonymity told our correspondent that " The management should have done this since to complement Elojoba's work but all the same we hope they finish this and improve the welfarism of student which shouldn't only be on renovation of hostel toilets alone but repainting and also renovation of the rooms also.

In an exclusive interview with OAU Peeps News Agency, the Dean Of Students Affairs, Prof. Aransi confirmed &stated that the management wants to decongest the hostel so as to improve the welfare conditions of all halls of residence which is affected by Overcrowding. He added that the renovation has been planned on a larger scale before freshers resume by April 3 but facing challenges with students not leaving the halls of residence for their various homes though there are some that can't be denied hostel access like finalists ,SIWEP & SIWESS students, pharmacy students presently taking their examination, and also Education students who are on TP.

He was however unhappy with some students in the halls who are careless to the extent of burning their rooms as it happened recently in Block 3 of Awolowo Hall. ""Imagine we are trying our possible best to renovate and put all hostels to proper look and some of our students are being careless to the extent of burning rooms It occured in moremi, Fajuyi and Awolowo hall. ""

He also stated categorically squatters won"t be allowed this coming session and if anyone is caught in the act, the squatter and the "landlord" will be expelled as the issue won"t be lightly at all again.

He concluded that those who do sell and buy bedspaces should retract from such and if caught, the buyer and the seller will smell the hot part of law.

Source:
OAU Peeps News Agency
http://www.oaupeeps.com/2018/03/oau-begins-renovation-of-dilapidated.html

1 Like

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by OAUPeeps: 6:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
Cc:Lalasticlala

Credit:Uthman Samad

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Thewesterner(m): 6:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good... Power of social media, Even those that used it to ascend the throne can longer stand it

7 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Narldon: 8:45pm On Mar 06, 2018

That was how I disgraced myself The Day I snapped my School Hostel and sent to my British Facebook Friend. His First question was,

"Are you living in a Refugee Camp?" embarassed

43 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
It is good....

BUT THE PROBLEM IS...HOW DO THEY KEEP UP THE MAINTENANCE.?

Thing is, within a year, the newly renovated hostels will start looking old and wretched.

Because...there is enough money for the renovation...but not enough to keep up the maintenance.

And the only way to keep the hostels in good repair is to charge fees as high as 600000 naira per annum.

Or go and ask govt to spend 4 trillion of this year's 8 trillion naira budget on....universities alone.

3 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by teemanbastos(m): 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
hmmm...
I made a discovery on Nairaland,
Many peoples passion for likes makes them stop saying sensible things and pick up insensible things for Likes,
The internet never forgets,
Be yourself!

A wild and aggressive comment against Buhari for example would likely generate a lot of likes etc...
B4 it was Tribalism that trended now it's Hate against Buhari shown in comments, the internet never forgets.
Don't sacrifice common sense on the altar of cheap desire for likes that doesn't quantify a man's Value.

Great Ife! Great!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Ayodejioak(m): 8:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
I'm not sure if that closet was meant for a man.

Probably a student pet or some animal.

Even a pet will die instantly after using that rest-room

except if the factory color was cream then It turned brown.

I find it hard to believe it used to be white.

3 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Adekorya: 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
The fact that the students had to cried and protested for many years before the school could embark on this renovation is nothing but outright negligence and nonchalant attitude of the school administrators to the students plight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by kn23h(m): 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
Why must we wait 50 years before mentaining our infastructures?

2 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by slowice(m): 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
Haba! Why am I lookin for the renovation? Abi eye is paining me.... Is that black soil that they are mixing with cement.... This country confuse pesin oo

3 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by smokedfish: 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
Why dem still de use white tiles to tile that bathroom...use another colour na dt wnt be dt noticeable grin bcz one week afta dem finish,e go still show like say dem neva do anitin

1 Like

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by dayleke: 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
About time tho...
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Bolustical: 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
And people who went through this hell of a school will still shamelessly look down on graduates of private universities who studied under good conditions.

5 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by dayleke: 8:50pm On Mar 06, 2018
smokedfish:
Why dem still de use white tiles to tile that bathroom...use another colour na dt wnt be dt noticeable grin bcz one week afta dem finish,e go still show like say dem neva do anitin

Gbam!!!!!!!!!
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Ushiefrank(m): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
Who can epp me get the plumbing contract?
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Benjom(m): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
I can never forget my time there. It was a mix of "everything" grin
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by naijjaman(m): 8:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
Why now? They need to leave this guy alone to rest in peace cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/4382864/obafemi-awolowos-109th-posthumous-birthday/2#65619185
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Pavore9: 9:05pm On Mar 06, 2018
While the students should be psycho-educated on the need to maintain cleanliness.

1 Like

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by simplytemmie: 9:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
Good
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by imohchard(m): 9:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
those hostels need renovation by julius berger not those baba kehinde bricklayer i see there

2 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 06, 2018
Bolustical:
And people who went through this hell of a school will still shamelessly look down on graduates of private universities who studied under good conditions.

Private Unis pay hefty fees for good facilities, but because they are relatively young...they don't have generations of academics with experience in their universities.

Meanwhile public universities have bad facilities...because they are forced to charge low fees...and because funding for education is falling..and we need something like N3-4 trillion yearly just for universities to look good.

If OAU charged fees as high as N1million like ABUAD....it would have good facilities AND good lecturers....but then would be out of reach to the poor.Therein lies the problem with funding for education in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by daxon001(m): 9:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
in my 4 yrs in UI, I never saw any hall structure this gross..this revamping is long overdue abeg...
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
imohchard:
those hostels need renovation by julius berger not those baba kehinde bricklayer i see there

I agree! grin...though some of those small contractors can do very good jobs!(My dad hired a small contractor to do some house renovation.once....and they did it well.)

Having said that...OAU, or indeed any other Nigerian university cannot afford Julius Berger. The amount that JB would quote would probably be too high for the university...unless they increase fees, or get some rich alum to pony up the cash.

1 Like

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Xionez(m): 9:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
imohchard:

So you want Julius Berger to renovate the place...which Julius Berger are we talking of first?
The Julius at Berger bustop?

1 Like

Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 06, 2018
undecided where is the renovation?
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by ebby9z(m): 9:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
I would really be happy if OAU hostels are fully refurbished. The state of the hostels is the biggest embarrassment of the school. Forget all these poor confrontational students who refuse to leave hostels. Tight measures should be employed to address squatters and illegal residents. I witnessed it but I don't want other prospective students to witness such. It's not an environment fit for an animal. Especially Awo block 5...jeez!!!
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by johnnyvid(m): 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
Cromcruach91:
It is good....

BUT THE PROBLEM IS...HOW DO THEY KEEP UP THE MAINTENANCE.?

Thing is, within a year, the newly renovated hostels will start looking old and wretched.

Because...there is enough money for the renovation...but not enough to keep up the maintenance.

And the only way to keep the hostels in good repair is to charge fees as high as 600000 naira per annum.

Or go and ask govt to spend 4 trillion of this year's 8 trillion naira budget on....universities alone.

so are you now saying that the OAU students should be paying #600000 for school fees. how could you reason this way. so so pathetic. upon the millions of naira on covenant and abuad universities, OAU still beat them well in competition.
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nuesbab: 11:00pm On Mar 06, 2018
The only solution to this problem is to make all the rooms for two or at most three bedded and give the hostels out to contractors to manage and maintain.
Re: OAU Begins Renovation Of Dilapidated Hostels by Nobody: 11:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
I don dey expect one kin Julius berger type of renovation sef,so na this small thing students no fit raise money together do?

(1) (2) (Reply)

NASU Directs University Workers, Others To Begin Strike Over IPPIS / B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? / Baze Uni Throws Out 185 Amnesty Students Over Tuition During Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.