Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell (2366 Views)

Snake In AC Vent: Car Owners, What’s Your Next Move? / Bringing a Mercedes from Lagos to Calabar; and my tough ordeals! / Why Is My Car Radiator Bringing Out Hot Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 7:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
Got the car 3 months ago. I noticed this awful smell from the vent. My body oozes out this smell after I put on the AC , even when the AC is off I still perceive it. Fragrances has little to avert it. I have checked the car engine and all look new as ever. The mechs confirm no leakage and the AC is as chilling as ever. please help what could be the issue?

Front page mode please, before one contact cancer.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by autologic: 8:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ournaija:
Got the car 3 months ago. I noticed this awful smell from the vent. My body oozes out this smell after I put on the AC , even when the AC is off I still perceive it. Fragrances has little to avert it. I have checked the car engine and all look new as ever. The mechs confirm no leakage and the AC is as chilling as ever. please help what could be the issue?

Front page mode please, before one contact cancer.
Awful odour like what?
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 9:23pm On Mar 06, 2018
autologic:
Awful odour like what?
like sticky fried oil with toxics .
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by pannyman(m): 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
We had a similar experience with my wife's car, and it turned out to be a dead rat. Get an AC guy to check it out.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 6:43am On Mar 07, 2018
pannyman:
We had a similar experience with my wife's car, and it turned out to be a dead rat. Get an AC guy to check it out.

Got an AC Guy to open and check the dashboard, everything look sparkling clean but we still washed it and change filter. I suspected the coolant and we blocked the holes from the radiator to the heater, yet no show.

Could it be the evaporator? Please help before it cause a health issue.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mayor2013: 6:46am On Mar 07, 2018
Have your evaporator checked properly it's leaking reason for the offensive smell. Notice this. When you put on or off AC do you get to hear a hissing sound

1 Like

Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 9:00am On Mar 07, 2018
mayor2013:
Have your evaporator checked properly it's leaking reason for the offensive smell. Notice this. When you put on or off AC do you get to hear a hissing sound

I have not observed any sound but will check later today. Yesternight I touched a sgreay substance that smell exactly like the offensive smell.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 11:11am On Mar 07, 2018
Please help....

Any useful info will be appreciated
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
Please help the smell is killing. It stays on the body for more 3 days each time I use the car.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mosbus: 4:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
Ournaija:
Please help the smell is killing. It stays on the body for more 3 days each time I use the car.
take the car to a technician to check cabin filter and also they should loose the evaporator blow to confirm if any particles falls inside.

1 Like

Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 4:33pm On Mar 07, 2018
mosbus:
take the car to a technician to check cabin filter and also they should loose the evaporator blow to confirm if any particles falls inside.

Thanks bro, I will give this a try.

1 Like

Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by 9icetoo(m): 7:47pm On Mar 07, 2018
have you tried the vinegar solution? it gets rid of odours. you may have to open the dashboard and spray generous amounts of it in the Ac ducting.
is the smell worse with the recirc button on or better with it off?
the air to the evaporator comes through a duct, check if any animal has died inside that duct.
I don't know what else that could be causing the bad odour.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mayor2013: 8:33pm On Mar 07, 2018
What's the smell like? Rotten egg
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by sultaan(m): 10:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
One of the culprit I know is transmission fluid leaking on the exhaust pipes then evaporates into your cabin. See if there is any oil leak under the car, your windshield should be dirty too
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 7:35pm On Mar 08, 2018
sultaan:
One of the culprit I know is transmission fluid leaking on the exhaust pipes then evaporates into your cabin. See if there is any oil leak under the car, your windshield should be dirty too

The windshield is always greasy but not dirty. How does it leak into the cabin.

The smell happens only when the engine is on.

1 Like

Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by sultaan(m): 8:04pm On Mar 08, 2018
Ournaija:

The windshield is always greasy but not dirty. How does it leak into the cabin.

The smell happens only when the engine is on.

We are still saying the same thing, you either have a engine oil leak or transmission fluid leak possibly at axle seal.

I have a leak, but thought it was engine oil that splashed on my engine during oil change only to find out it was transmission fluid leaking from axle and the air turbulence under the car Ron motion spreads it to the exhaust which burns it when engine is running.

Start from the top of the engine if you see oil from around valve cover change the valve cover seal and wash the engine to see any new leaks when it happens

1 Like

Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 8:04am On Mar 09, 2018
sultaan:

We are still saying the same thing, you either have a engine oil leak or transmission fluid leak possibly at axle seal.

I have a leak, but thought it was engine oil that splashed on my engine during oil change only to find out it was transmission fluid leaking from axle and the air turbulence under the car Ron motion spreads it to the exhaust which burns it when engine is running.

Start from the top of the engine if you see oil from around valve cover change the valve cover seal and wash the engine to see any new leaks when it happens

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. I will get both Mech and an AC guy to check under the engine and the evaporator tommorrw. I will share update. Am booking a date right now. Any other hints will be much appreciated.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Nobody: 8:34am On Mar 09, 2018
When dirt and bacteria build up in your car’s air conditioning system, it can cause a musty smell to waft from your car’s vents. Mold and bacteria can form and grow in your air vents, leading to the strong smell when the air con. This is the most common cause of air-con smell and more often than not can be solved by an anti-bacterial clean of your car’s air conditioning filters at routine intervals.

Other smells coming from your car’s air conditioning could be as a result of a leak causing unwanted fluids to find their way into the system. In these situations it is recommended to have your car inspected immediately to prevent further damage.

Animals in your car

A less common cause is an animal making a home for itself in your vehicle. Though it may seem unlikely, this happens more often than you might think. Animals crawl up into the underside of the vehicle and can store all kinds of things under there, potentially contributing to a foul smell when you turn on the AC.

Gasoline or antifreeze leak

Most drivers will easily recognize the smell of gasoline, and if you notice the smell each time you use your air conditioning, you may want to have a qualified service technician check for a gas leak. A sweet smell, on the other hand, could indicate an antifreeze leak in the cooling system.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 6:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
efesodje:
When dirt and bacteria build up in your car’s air conditioning system, it can cause a musty smell to waft from your car’s vents. Mold and bacteria can form and grow in your air vents, leading to the strong smell when the air con. This is the most common cause of air-con smell and more often than not can be solved by an anti-bacterial clean of your car’s air conditioning filters at routine intervals.

Other smells coming from your car’s air conditioning could be as a result of a leak causing unwanted fluids to find their way into the system. In these situations it is recommended to have your car inspected immediately to prevent further damage.

Animals in your car

A less common cause is an animal making a home for itself in your vehicle. Though it may seem unlikely, this happens more often than you might think. Animals crawl up into the underside of the vehicle and can store all kinds of things under there, potentially contributing to a foul smell when you turn on the AC.

Gasoline or antifreeze leak

Most drivers will easily recognize the smell of gasoline, and if you notice the smell each time you use your air conditioning, you may want to have a qualified service technician check for a gas leak. A sweet smell, on the other hand, could indicate an antifreeze leak in the cooling system.

Thanks bro I have booked a date tomorrow.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 10:10am On Mar 10, 2018
The smell was domiciled in the plastic that covers the evaporator. The evaporator looks very clean but I wonder how the greasy substance got into the plastic to form the smell .
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mayor2013: 10:38am On Mar 10, 2018
Ournaija:
The smell was domiciled in the plastic that covers the evaporator. The evaporator looks very clean but I wonder how the greasy substance got into the plastic to form the smell .

Sign of refrigerant mixed with oil leak.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 8:17pm On Mar 11, 2018
mayor2013:

Sign of refrigerant mixed with oil leak.
What could be the permanent solution to this?
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mayor2013: 9:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
Ournaija:

What could be the permanent solution to this?

Have your evaporator checked properly also check for leakages around that region
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by yarimo(m): 1:51am On Mar 12, 2018
mayor2013:
please help how do I know my car AC dryer is bad ?
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by istephen(m): 7:30am On Mar 12, 2018
There's maybe mold growing in the evaporator box. Check also the cabin filter.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by Ournaija: 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2018
istephen:
There's maybe mold growing in the evaporator box. Check also the cabin filter.

The evaporator box was brought and washed. The smell was on the box. Am considering getting a Mech this weekend to check forleaks and possibly remove the radiator water and it coolant. It considering using ordinary water without coolant.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by mosbus: 10:18pm On Jun 20, 2018
yarimo:
please help how do I know my car AC dryer is bad ?
the dryer will be cold and also the high side pipe before the expansion valve will be cold.
Re: My Car Vent Is Bringing Out Toxic Smell by feelme3(m): 10:36pm On Jun 20, 2018
Ournaija:

The evaporator box was brought and washed. The smell was on the box. Am considering getting a Mech this weekend to check forleaks and possibly remove the radiator water and it coolant. It considering using ordinary water without coolant.

Bros, Just book appointment with Mosbus. He's tested and trusted when it comes to any issues with AC system

(1) (Reply)

Help My Friend And His 98 Camry / Replacement Of Toyota corolla engine / Which Is More Economical Between Toyota Camry 1998_2004 & Benz C200. Advice Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.