Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing (23435 Views)

Fallacy Or Myths: Charging New Phone Before Use. / What Are Your Popular Smartphone Myths / Whatsapp To Stop Running On These Devices On December 31, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by NeeKlaus: 11:25am On Mar 07, 2018
wassade:

I challenge you from a test
Bros, not everybody uses a whack phone. Maybe you probably use an Innjoo or a low end Tecno but I regularly charge my phone overnight and it is still in good condition. No swelling at all. An Infinix Hot 4.

So I don't know the kind of phone you use.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Godwin978(m): 1:36pm On Mar 07, 2018
shiftback:
There seems to be this mind block that don’t allow phone users of today realize how well technology has advanced especially with batteries. I want to share with you guys some of the top battery myths we still seem to believe today.

1. CHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY ON FIRST USE FOR HOURS
I still hear attendants in phones stores tell their customers this. Older Batteries of nickel cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries used to be stupid. They forget their full capacity which wouldn’t allow them to fully charge again. So, you’d have to charge a battery to 100% for hours on first use and let a battery discharge all the way to 0% before charging it again. That’s not the case anymore, and it hasn’t been for a long time. Smartphone’s today have lithium-ion batteries, which don’t suffer from the memory problems, lithium-ion batteries count charges differently than older batteries, so you don’t need to worry about discharging it completely or charging it to 100% on first use.

2. CHARGING YOUR BATTERY OVERNIGHT KILLS THE BATTERY LIFE
It used to be possible to ruin a battery by leaving it plugged in all the time when you plugged in your phone for long periods, older lithium-ion batteries could overheat which in turn just reduces the charge capacity and long-term life of the battery
These days, chargers and smartphones are smart enough to prevent this from happening, at 100 they will only trickle charge a battery and run the phone on an extreme low power from a charger. Just like some laptops can stay on when you remove the battery as far as the charger stays plugged in, your phones will run mainly on the charger power when your battery hits 100%.

3. CLOSING APPS TO SAVE YOUR BATTERY ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE
I once shared this information here, but it’s still something I see a lot of people do, you pick up their phone and you will see up to 2 to 3 battery saving apps and they seem to believe it works. Please if you still have any on your phone uninstall it and don’t look back.
There was a time during the time of android 2.3 and below when app management software’s worked but thanks to development Google and other OEMS have worked hard on memory management algorithms. Most of your third party battery management software will negate the performance of these algorithms and cause more harm to your phone than good.

4. A 5000 MAH POWER BANK WILL YIELD 2 FULL CHARGES FOR A 2500MAH DEVICE
We generally believe a 2500mah battery should be fully charged twice by a 5000mah battery. The catch is the voltage at which it charges. The power rating of a power bank is calculated at 3.7 volts whereas the phone charges at 5 volts. When you connect your charger to the power bank, the Voltage is converted to 5V which automatically affects the overall power of the power bank, when power gets to the phone the power is converted back to 4.2v.
During this conversion process there is always a lot of power loss due to heat, that conversion efficiency also plays a big role on the actual capacity of the power bank.
I stumbled on a formula which can help you determined the actual the actual power of a battery but you should know when using this formula that power loss due to heat and conversion efficiency was not considered.
Actual PB capacity = ((PB capacity in mAh * 3.7) / 4.2) * 0.8

PB= power bank
0.8 = power factor

Source>> http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general/187526-battery-myths-you-need-to-stop-believing
op i wont agree with you on no 1

you must charge your battery on first purchase to 100% be it android java symbian any
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by salesforce: 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2018
Good
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by GeoSilYe(f): 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2018
Please it true that charging a new phone with power bank weakens the battery?
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Emeka71(m): 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2018
Good tutorial.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by ericoishioma: 5:06pm On Mar 07, 2018
Nice one
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by naturefellow(m): 5:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
ColdSun:

I hope so. heard 'bout a lady getting electrocuted while doing that. Later heard that it's because she was using a fake charger (it didn't come with the phone). I tire abeg. Thanks for the answer.
something must kill person in this life. But may God help us not to go before our time.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by wassade: 5:32pm On Mar 07, 2018
NeeKlaus:

Bros, not everybody uses a whack phone. Maybe you probably use an Innjoo or a low end Tecno but I regularly charge my phone overnight and it is still in good condition. No swelling at all. An Infinix Hot 4.

So I don't know the kind of phone you use.

Mr may be. all my life I use Samsung phones am using Samsung s5 now.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by NeeKlaus: 5:42pm On Mar 07, 2018
wassade:

Mr may be. all my life I use Samsung phones am using Samsung s5 now.
Then why do you still have swollen batteries when Samsung is even a good phone? Maybe you should check the phone you bought.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by ColdSun: 8:49pm On Mar 07, 2018
naturefellow:
something must kill person in this life. But may God help us not to go before our time.

Amen.
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Nowenuse: 11:49pm On Mar 07, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing op @shiftback.
You can't believe how ignorant a lot of us have been.

I've always noticed something fishy about these power banks and their so called ' mAH'.
I think the original mAH of a power bank is even far lower than your calculations.
I once had a 20k mAH power bank and it charged my 4k mAH phone full only twice when it is fully charged.

Likewise my current powerbank of 13k mAH charges my 3k mAH phone full only twice when it is fully charged, and according to your formula, the original capacity of the powerbank was supposed to be 9162 mAH. ......
I'd love to hear your opinion, do you have an idea what could be wrong here?
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by ThinkSmarter: 12:14am On Mar 08, 2018
Britishcoins:
Please why is that whenever I charged my tecno l9 plus overnight it always switched itself off after hours of fully charged?
go to settings and check if it z set to auto power off.
also, when the ba3 voltage z higher than the phone specified, the power ic will regulate it n make sure that it has returned to normalcy b4 it will power the phone
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by Etesam(m): 7:49am On Mar 08, 2018
xmanco42:
Op am guilty of number 2 and 4

that is how I bought a power bank from one shop like that , I was so happy because it was cheap until my phone started charging the power bank
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by tafat: 1:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
Nice one there ,thanks to this am enjoying my tecno spark well author=shiftback post=65619081]There seems to be this mind block that don’t allow phone users of today realize how well technology has advanced especially with batteries. I want to share with you guys some of the top battery myths we still seem to believe today.

1. CHARGE YOUR BATTERY FULLY ON FIRST USE FOR HOURS
I still hear attendants in phones stores tell their customers this. Older Batteries of nickel cadmium and nickel-metal hydride batteries used to be stupid. They forget their full capacity which wouldn’t allow them to fully charge again. So, you’d have to charge a battery to 100% for hours on first use and let a battery discharge all the way to 0% before charging it again. That’s not the case anymore, and it hasn’t been for a long time. Smartphone’s today have lithium-ion batteries, which don’t suffer from the memory problems, lithium-ion batteries count charges differently than older batteries, so you don’t need to worry about discharging it completely or charging it to 100% on first use.

2. CHARGING YOUR BATTERY OVERNIGHT KILLS THE BATTERY LIFE
It used to be possible to ruin a battery by leaving it plugged in all the time when you plugged in your phone for long periods, older lithium-ion batteries could overheat which in turn just reduces the charge capacity and long-term life of the battery
These days, chargers and smartphones are smart enough to prevent this from happening, at 100 they will only trickle charge a battery and run the phone on an extreme low power from a charger. Just like some laptops can stay on when you remove the battery as far as the charger stays plugged in, your phones will run mainly on the charger power when your battery hits 100%.

3. CLOSING APPS TO SAVE YOUR BATTERY ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE
I once shared this information here, but it’s still something I see a lot of people do, you pick up their phone and you will see up to 2 to 3 battery saving apps and they seem to believe it works. Please if you still have any on your phone uninstall it and don’t look back.
There was a time during the time of android 2.3 and below when app management software’s worked but thanks to development Google and other OEMS have worked hard on memory management algorithms. Most of your third party battery management software will negate the performance of these algorithms and cause more harm to your phone than good.

4. A 5000 MAH POWER BANK WILL YIELD 2 FULL CHARGES FOR A 2500MAH DEVICE
We generally believe a 2500mah battery should be fully charged twice by a 5000mah battery. The catch is the voltage at which it charges. The power rating of a power bank is calculated at 3.7 volts whereas the phone charges at 5 volts. When you connect your charger to the power bank, the Voltage is converted to 5V which automatically affects the overall power of the power bank, when power gets to the phone the power is converted back to 4.2v.
During this conversion process there is always a lot of power loss due to heat, that conversion efficiency also plays a big role on the actual capacity of the power bank.
I stumbled on a formula which can help you determined the actual the actual power of a battery but you should know when using this formula that power loss due to heat and conversion efficiency was not considered.
Actual PB capacity = ((PB capacity in mAh * 3.7) / 4.2) * 0.8

PB= power bank
0.8 = power factor

Source>> http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com/forum/general/187526-battery-myths-you-need-to-stop-believing[/quote]
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by scarycuteface(m): 5:11am On Mar 11, 2018
Get yourself a Tecno L9 Plus. All these battery myths won't affect you grin
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by alexDBaberian: 10:19pm On Mar 11, 2018
Yup! you are correct. Number 2 is my favorite. I am so guilty of it. My Camon CM functions beautifully as always. #NO damages
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by tafat: 2:40am On Mar 12, 2018
Nice one this is very good info
Re: Battery Myths You Need To Stop Believing by sureinfo: 1:53am On Mar 19, 2018
This is so cool, nice tips

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Using Your Phone While Charging Safe? / 7 Types Of Phone Users / Tecno WX4 Pro Complete Phone Specifications And Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.