Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly (10100 Views)

DIARY OF A FIRST TIME DOG OWNER. (GSD) / Kano State Dog Walk(first Time Ever) / Caucasian And GSD Mix For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2018
Hello nairalanders,

Meet my female Caucasian dog lexi, she was bought here on nairaland sometime in early days of November.

I was so excited to try again at training a dog having tried to train a beorboel but losing him to Parvo (more of carelessness and lack of knowledge on my part though).

I read alot of on Google about Caucasians,how they feed, how to train them, how they assume themselves as the leader of the park, until you take the position and yet you aren't supposed to use physical force (these oyinbo people sef, na beat we been know for africa o).

Anyway I have tried my best so far in training and feeding, I haven't had much problems so far but still have some questions, first let me take you on a short picture journey so far.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 2:52pm On Mar 07, 2018
I wasn't around when she was sent to the house, I think she was sent down when she was seven weeks, I came back about 2 weeks later, so she must have been about 9-10wks old in this picture.

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 2:57pm On Mar 07, 2018
This was when she was about 11 wks to 3 months old or so

I feed her majorly with dry food, pedigree can food, crushed noodles with carrots and smoked fish, rice mixed with can food or a mix of the first two.

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 3:03pm On Mar 07, 2018
OK here comes my first unsolved challenge,

I really loved lexi's color when she was 3 months and below, but then it suddenly started changing, we started losing the beautiful black on her body and getting this annoying cream color embarassed

Here is lexi after a bath at about 4 months

If you notice her color started getting lighter

PS: I reduced her food at this stage from three times daily small portions to twice daily as I read online

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 3:15pm On Mar 07, 2018
This was 5 months and two weeks.

At this point we had lost most of her black color, please house what can I do to get the darker color? I was advised to add cod liver oil or so to her feed daily to give a shiny coat, this I have started.

I read that they usually change color as they grow, does that mean this is my final color? cry

if yes next time I'm definitely buying all black so that even if it gets lighter it won't get this light

She will be 6 months old by March 10th grin

I started taking her for walks to exercise her bones

There was a parvo scare some days before this picture, she vomited her food twice but didn't stop eating afterwards, i immediately took her to the vet who check her temperature through the anus and said she was fine however because it's parvo season he will advise she undergoes treatment, I didn't even hesitate grin sharply! once beaten twice shy. she was given injections for three days.

PS : I always follow up with vaccination and deworming as at when due. All shots were received.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
current Age: 5 months plus 3 weeks

She understands simple commands, for example sit, come, but she doesn't hear go yet or stop. I have really tried my best and I'm getting tired.

She sits when we hold her food and put it on the floor and won't go for it till we say eat or turn away or point.

So far those are the only successful training.

still having issues with stop and go command

Also she still poos in her cage. please I really need help with this

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:

She understands simple commands, for example sit, come, but she doesn't hear go yet or stop. I have really tried my best and I'm getting tired.

She sits when we hold her food and put it on the floor and won't go for it till we say eat or turn away or point.

Funny the only lesson my 4month old knows is never pooing in her cage. Everything else has failed.

We trained her by taking her to a desired place where we wanted her to poo (on a leash) and waiting till she was done. We did this for a couple of days till she figured it out.
We started this when she was about 10weeks.

I almost gave up initially cos it was really a long wait.

We let her out twice a day. In the morning and evening. She always gets the poo business done during these periods.

You have tried with the other commands though like I said I wasn't able to achieve that.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 4:07pm On Mar 07, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:
This was 5 months and two weeks.

At this point we had lost most of her black color, please house what can I do to get the darker color? I was advised to add cod liver oil or so to her feed daily to give a shiny coat, this I have started.

I read that they usually change color as they grow, does that mean this is my final color? cry

if yes next time I'm definitely buying all black so that even if it gets lighter it won't get this light

She will be 6 months old by March 10th grin

I started taking her for walks to exercise her bones

There was a parvo scare some days before this picture, she vomited her food twice but didn't stop eating afterwards, i immediately took her to the vet who check her temperature through the anus and said she was fine however because it's parvo season he will advise she undergoes treatment, I didn't even hesitate grin sharply! once beaten twice shy. she was given injections for three days.

PS : I always follow up with vaccination and deworming as at when due. All shots were received.

Different strokes for different folks. I had the opportunity of picking an all black puppy but I chose a lighter one. And like yours, She has been getting lighter since then and I am loving it.

One side of her body is almost white. I however noticed she is growing some black long guard hair.

Worry not, you have a fine puppy there irrespective of the colour besides it will still change.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:35pm On Mar 07, 2018
jayned:

Funny the only lesson my 4month old knows is never pooing in her cage. Everything else has failed.

We trained her by taking her to a desired place where we wanted her to poo (on a leash) and waiting till she was done. We did this for a couple of days till she figured it out.
We started this when she was about 10weeks.

I almost gave up initially cos it was really a long wait.

We let her out twice a day. In the morning and evening. She always gets the poo business done during these periods.

You have tried with the other commands though like I said I wasn't able to achieve that.

Best of luck.

wow, I can imagine the wait, maybe I should try that too, or is it too late?
Wondering if I will even have time, but cage cleaning everytime is really annoying.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2018
jayned:

Different strokes for different folks. I had the opportunity of picking an all black puppy but I chose a lighter one. And like yours, She has been getting lighter since then and I am loving it.

One side of her body is almost white. I however noticed she is growing some black long guard hair.

Worry not, you have a fine puppy there irrespective of the colour besides it will still change.

Thanks bro, nice dog you have there, looking really big.

you mean the color will still change from this again?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 4:49pm On Mar 07, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:

Thanks bro, nice dog you have there, looking really big.
you mean the color will still change from this again?
yep but not to all black.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by jayned: 4:55pm On Mar 07, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:

wow, I can imagine the wait, maybe I should try that too, or is it too late?
Wondering if I will even have time, but cage cleaning everytime is really annoying.

Other things we did was to take some of the poo to the desired spot. Putting her nose in the poo when she poos in the wrong spot along with some spanking.

Rewarding her is also necessary when she gets it right. I bet u know that already.

About her age, I think it can still work.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 12:27pm On Mar 08, 2018
@jayned I will try and update the house on my progress. Dog training is difficult oo
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Sirmuel1(m): 4:22pm On Mar 08, 2018
I love Caucasians!!!!! mine is coming from Europe soon and I shall post pictures here wink

Your Dog is beautiful OP

4 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 10, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:

Create daily schedule for your dog. i walk mine 2times a day for him to poo too.

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 9:18am On Mar 19, 2018
Started applying the advises above, lets see if she will stop pooing in her cage
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by durubrian(m): 9:56am On Mar 19, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:
Started applying the advises above, lets see if she will stop pooing in her cage

this might be difficult, I have two dogs, , a male and a female, the male is very intelligent, he knows sit, out (he'd leave the room or his cage), stop, come and even shakes and chops knuckles,, he never poops in his cage, I didn't teach him some of these things o, his just too smart, but the female is an Olodo that knows nothing... the are almost of the same age, the female is just fews weeks older,.

oh, they are of DIFFERENT breeds...
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 9:43am On Mar 20, 2018
durubrian:

this might be difficult, I have two dogs, , a male and a female, the male is very intelligent, he knows sit, out (he'd leave the room or his cage), stop, come and even shakes and chops knuckles,, he never poops in his cage, I didn't teach him some of these things o, his just too smart, but the female is an Olodo that knows nothing... the are almost of the same age, the female is just fews weeks older,.

oh, they are of DIFFERENT breeds...

hahahahaha
what breeds bros? Male is GSD I guess??
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by durubrian(m): 5:29pm On Mar 20, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:

hahahahaha what breeds bros? Male is GSD I guess??

you guessed right, I have a thread about the both of them.
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Eveezy(m): 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2018
Abeg give us updates on ur dog
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 7:18pm On Apr 15, 2018
Lexi's color has been revived

I got a grooming set, and brushed her hair off, as much as could fall off, and started adding cod liver oil or so to her food once daily (I can't remember the name again it's in a bottle, got it for 2k at a pet shop).

Now I have the black and grey coat again

2 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Mooshiwa: 9:13pm On Apr 15, 2018
jayned:

Hey, nice dog. What do you feed her?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:18pm On Apr 23, 2018
coat looking better, and she is growing just fine, still haven't got her to learn not to poo in her cage. I guess I will have to live with it.

She is now 7 months old, I hope she is growing well? is she supposed to be bigger at this age?

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2018
more pictures, I just started releasing her at night, I think she is now a big girl,
she is very active, maybe too active, she barks even when people are walking in next compound.

Temperament is very OK, one thing I have noticed is she isn't aggressive to people as long as we are there, if a stranger comes in with me she won't bark, but if they come in alone she does.

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by cedar3: 11:55am On Apr 25, 2018
She is beautiful, keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by johnclement: 5:48pm On Apr 27, 2018
How old is she now ?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by johnclement: 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2018
mine is 12months

5 Likes

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Nobody: 6:01am On Apr 29, 2018
thefunclubenterprise:
more pictures, I just started releasing her at night, I think she is now a big girl,
she is very active, maybe too active, she barks even when people are walking in next compound.

Temperament is very OK, one thing I have noticed is she isn't aggressive to people as long as we are there, if a stranger comes in with me she won't bark, but if they come in alone she does.

Nice CO you got there, check out mine too. We love Caucasians

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 8:13am On May 16, 2018
johnclement:
How old is she now ?

that was 7 months.

She is about 8 months now

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by thefunclubenterprise(m): 8:13am On May 16, 2018
johnclement:
mine is 12months

Male?
Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by vincentjk(m): 8:46am On May 16, 2018
Nice dog bro, Lexi is really growing

1 Like

Re: First Time Caucasian Ovchaka Owner....join Me Train Lexi Properly by Teemothymass(m): 1:11pm On May 16, 2018
She is really growing real good
Please can you snap the cod liver bottle you bought at the pet store. Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diary Of My Boy "Bullet" / 22 Very Amazing Facts About Tigers / Which Feed Is The Best For My New Caucasian. Plz Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.