Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,407 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) (20728 Views)

Justin Chukwudi Olewuezi Graduates From Russian University As A Medical Doctor / Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by 300wayne: 9:43am On Mar 09, 2018
swagguElite:
I seriously I don't see a clear reason why anyone should be concerned about someone being proud of his/her profession!

Pride has to deal with the character of a person ...whether the Black lips Dr Kelvin is always too proud n swells his throat to talk so dat yu will ask him why is yur voice thick!? ...he will now tell yu he just had a fried chicken n dodo _has nothing to do with his profession as a Doctor ....if he was also a lawyer he would also be proud! ....sametin goes to anyone out that is always forming big man!

I don't care ...yu souldn't as long as yu can afford wat yu desire! .... Doctors can believe they are the best in the world .... Lawyers can also argue Doctors are nothing compare them since Doctors would run to them if they are sued for gross negligence! ....a farmer woud rub his tummy in satisfaction that both of them are his boys since they cannot live without food!

Arguments upon arguments ...just for wat ....to prove yuar more important Dan odas .... Why dont yu just be more important as others not more than them ...life is nt supposed to be a competition among us! ...life is wat we are without our jobs! ...that happy guy beneath that white lab coat ....that partyfreak n funny girl beneath that lawyers robe n that caring n loving man who behind his hoes n cutlass!

Whatever yuar today is a reward for yur struggle n sleepless night .... Enjoy it!
BRAIN

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 9:43am On Mar 09, 2018
omojeesu:

Its just that your health is the most important gift you have. The one who helps you to regain it when you lose it is very important to you. WS et al can't do that for you!
Actually that can be debatable. Every need of humans is very important for our survival.

Using Maslow hierarchy of needs

1)The psychological needs which are the basic and most essential for the survival of humans comes first .I.e air, water, sleep, shelter food etc

The professionals required here are

Engineers and Architects to provide shelter

Agricultural expert or farmers to provide food etc

2) Safety need comes second, which is the need to ensure personal security, financial security, Heath and wellbeing.

The professionals required here are Doctors, security guards, bankers and accountants etc

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by reciprokal: 9:43am On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder

Exactly my point. You were forced to study medicine without having the aptitude.

There are a billion courses (exaggerations intentional) more mentally demanding that medicine even within the health sciences like biochemistry.

Why do heck do you think Nigeria don't have courses like a astronomy, space science, astrophysics, astronautics, aerospace engineering etc?

This is what differentiate countries and the knowledge is often hidden. Medicine is way easier is basic knowledge is within man's grasp and natural knowledge.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by kowalsky: 9:44am On Mar 09, 2018
reciprokal:
Only in Nigeria is the medical profession held in reverence by both the vast majority of illiterates and certificate-holding illiterates too.

Not just Nigeria. Most parts of the world. In the US they're the highest paid profession.

If anything Nigeria tops the list of countries that under value their doctors.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:44am On Mar 09, 2018
Teemaan:
I've been an addict of nairaland for a couple of years now like....if I've not confirmed any news up here, it is not valid to me. I created a profile a couple of weeks ago and now, this is my first post......
let me share this as an antidote to a thread that was posted earlier by another nairalander.......

The fact that they are called medical Doctor does not make dem better, they are just ordinary human who had the intent to be called a Doctor or be an human scientist and gave the aspiration a pursuit.

He asked you out and you feel like OMG, he's a medical Doctor , ohk continue but know that, it is just a profession and not an human characteristic. He might be a doctor with characters worse than that of an apprentice.

You heard she studied medicine and you said to yourself, she will make a good wife and mother for my children... You are deceived by the smile she wears and the gentle warm feel of her hands when treating and attending to her patients
You forgot that's what she's trained to do and might not necessarily be her natural composition. Don't be surprised if she turns out bossy, a Nagger and probably a flirt.

That white overall they put on, that stethoscope hanging around their neck, that spectacles, that nose cover that drops to their jaw when not used and that way they dock their hands in that so called white overall( lab coat) is just what their job entails. It is as useful as cutlass and hoe to a farmer.

Ask me why I wrote all of this, I will tell you why those in the profession, parents and NYSC doesn't need to make us feel inferior because we chose to study some other courses.
Doctors(not all anyways) are quite intelligent and so are YOU. The difference is just the profession and nothing more.
I call it diversified intelligence.

Overhyped? Never you said that again. As a matter of fact, doctors are not even treated well at all. They deserve all the respect and hype they get. There are lots of responsibilities that come when families place survival on the neck of a doctor/surgeon. Any slight mistake, and a soul would be wasted.

It is the same when people say law is overhyped. Many who say this have never had the chance to need a lawyer in times of trouble so that they can appreciate lawyers. I appreciated my father's lawyer who stood for 10 years until my father got his lands back.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by reciprokal: 10:00am On Mar 09, 2018
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by HSfoundation(m): 10:01am On Mar 09, 2018
Rursh:
Dear OP, studying Medicine or being a medical doctor worth being over hyped if at all it is.
They deal with human life my brother and anything that has to do with human life shouldn't be taken likely.
Doctor help to keep one alive in cases of failing health condition. Permit me to say "they are next to God" or "they are God on earth"
Did you not read in the news recently that Doctors in Canada are protesting too much money being paid to them?
*Rursh
*Proudly a Clinical scientist

Ejor which one is clinical scientists? She you be doctor or medical lab scientists. Don't dabaru us enn

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by MonPro: 10:01am On Mar 09, 2018
Rursh:
Dear OP, studying Medicine or being a medical doctor worth being over hyped if at all it is.
They deal with human life my brother and anything that has to do with human life shouldn't be taken likely.
Doctor help to keep one alive in cases of failing health condition. Permit me to say "they are next to God" or "they are God on earth"
Did you not read in the news recently that Doctors in Canada are protesting too much money being paid to them?
*Rursh
*Proudly a Clinical scientist

How does one become a clinical scientist?

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by reciprokal: 10:04am On Mar 09, 2018
kowalsky:

Not just Nigeria. Most parts of the world. In the US they're the highest paid profession.

If anything Nigeria tops the list of countries that under value their doctors.

I am not talking about pay as I'm sure the OP isn't either.

Doctors deserve their pay. If not for anything, for the exposure to diseases and the melancholic environment they call office. It's life afterall they help save too. Very important c

I'm are talking about the awe, reverence and wonder attacked to it here. And that's not same over there as rocket scientists, inventors, pharmacists etc get that kind of awe doctors get in underdeveloped countries like Nigeria.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by kessler53(m): 10:10am On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder
what of veterinary Doctors,are they also on top of the ladder.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Acidosis(m): 10:17am On Mar 09, 2018
This is the problem with most of you:

You adore people because of what they study, what they earn, the post they hold, where they're born, their status in the society, etc.

If we all learn to honour and respect people because they're humans, Nigeria's problems will drastically reduce.

Our so called love is not real, this is why Ambode will most likely fix a case of robbery in Ikoyi than those robbery cases on the Mainland. The urgency to fix the problem is first, tied to the "type" of people living in Ikoyi.

We don't love genuinely in Nigeria; contrary to the popular lies we tell ourselves, we are far from being a loving people.

If you love and respect people because they're Doctors (not because they're human beings with a soul), then your love is highly questionable.. Truth is, you do not love.. Take away the Dr., and you will see how mindless you're.

If, in your job, you give special attention to some class of people over other fellow human beings, then you're far from loving.

Note, there is nothing wrong in paying some class of people more. An experienced Doctor should be paid more than a Nurse because he renders more/costly services. Contrary to the popular belief, a Doctor should not be paid more because;

1. He spent 6 years in school: this I must say is the most myopic view ever. Some carry-over students spend 10 years.. does it mean we have to pay them more? Of course, No!

2. He deals on human lives: as reasonable as this sounds, it's still not a logical reason to pay them more. Drivers, Okada riders, etc.. deal on human lives. Mechanics deal with humans. A mechanic error can kill over a 100 passengers at a goal, it is as bad as that.. so it is actually du.mb, when anyone raises shoulders and expect to be paid more because you touch blood. No, that's du.mb.. Your so called illiterate mechanic can deliberate alter your braking system and before you say jack, you're already at the "other side"!

In sum, lets all respect people because they're first, humans, before becoming anything. If you render more service, if you work in a booming industry, then you deserve to earn more and be respected like every other human being.

This status-gap we see today is a result of the half baked education a lot of people received in this country, and parents as well are culprits! Go and check the wealthy 21st-century families, you will hardly see any parents enforcing some courses on their wards. The practice of reverencing some courses above others is common among those on the lower end of the tree.

5 Likes

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ofai: 10:18am On Mar 09, 2018
greiboy:
Actually that can be debatable. Every need of humans is very important for our survival.

1)The psychological needs which are the basic and most essential for the survival of humans comes first .I.e air, water, sleep, shelter food etc

2) Safety need comes second, which is the need to ensure personal security, financial security, Heath and wellbeing.

The professionals required here are Doctors, security guards, bankers and accountants etc

How do you define maslow's safety? Until you understand this, you won't see the error in your post.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by contigiency(m): 10:19am On Mar 09, 2018
God has created the world and humans in such a way that there Will be division of labor. What that means is that we compliment ourselves to exist properly. No one is on top of the other on the course of carrying out a team work. Not even because of one's profession or vocation the number of years spent is not even the yardstick else catholic priests should have that bragging right. Look at the field of medicine where the pharmacist research and produce drugs of which without the drugs, the Doctors work is in vain, a patient come to the hospital, the lab scientists has to carry out examination to tell the Doctor what to treat. The Doctor will diagnose and nurses give the care. So It's a win-win situation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 10:20am On Mar 09, 2018
ofai:

How do you define maslow's safety? Until you understand this, you won't see the error in your post.
Define it your way to point to the errors in my post.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 10:22am On Mar 09, 2018
I don't see "passion for life" in (most) this new generation medical practitioners, most of them or their parents want names and prestige (the characteristics of an inferior human being).

The over hyping is coming from the notion that medical doctors are always tagged intelligent, brilliant, smart, successful... Forgetting that no profession is short of those qualities, it depends on how one sees it.

I respect every profession along medical line. They are all vital to our well-being and I think it is one field of endeavour that doesn't require ego, it is not meant for low esteemed, half intelligent, egoistic individuals that enrolled because of the hyping.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Profcamsey(m): 10:23am On Mar 09, 2018
Smartchidi:

When I hear;
Mbbs is the hardest course to study...I jos laugh out loud
Coming to think of it,dats the dumbest profession I hv seen in a lifetime....you start Yr 2...read or better off cram anatomy,physiology and bch textbooks until Yr 3 write 2nd mb,enter Yr 4,do pharm. And pathology with all d junior medicine and surgery posting,yr5,O&G and paediatrics......and some1 there claiming MBBS student cannot tell degree of dilation.lol....OK,manage common fibrile fever of a baby...no way
Even after d finals,internship and residence and all d west African physician exams

You will be practically doing a single or closely related thing for d rest of ur big self life....give ceftraxone tds...mtcheews
If u are doing residence in O&G...during CS,is still d same point of incision over and over again

Jos see wastage of human talent
And u are claiming top of ladder
Brother, ur ladder was lieing on the floor
Shoutout to those who will venture into research in their respective discipline .....don't let some1 come and be making u feel small,whereas,he or she is trying hard to survive in a battle of little or common gain

This brother is dumb.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 09, 2018
The real question is why are these olodos being given the keys to the front page?

If the op feels doctors are irrelevant, he can opt for traditional medicine, faith healing, or treatment via 'chemists'
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by flamingREED(m): 10:34am On Mar 09, 2018
Answer this question intelligently and make deductions.
To which professions are nobel prizes awarded?
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ponti93(m): 10:37am On Mar 09, 2018
Febup:
If this thread is in relation to "Injustice For Engineering Graduates, Corpers - Education - Nigeria" https://www.nairaland.com/4385427/injustice-engineering-graduates-corpers then I will say that our Engineering Graduates should all come together to produce 24 hours affordable electricity, cars, aeroplanes etc for the nation and for export with locally made resources then they too will be 'Over Hyped'.
will u fund them
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Joshuazedd(m): 10:45am On Mar 09, 2018
Smartchidi:

When I hear;
Coming to think of it,dats the dumbest profession I hv seen in a lifetime....you start Yr 2...read or better off cram anatomy,physiology and bch textbooks until Yr 3 write 2nd mb,enter Yr 4,do pharm. And pathology with all d junior medicine and surgery posting,yr5,O&G and paediatrics......and some1 there claiming MBBS student cannot tell degree of dilation.lol....OK,manage common fibrile fever of a baby...no way
Even after d finals,internship and residence and all d west African physician exams

You will be practically doing a single or closely related thing for d rest of ur big self life....give ceftraxone tds...mtcheews
If u are doing residence in O&G...during CS,is still d same point of incision over and over again

Shoutout to those who will venture into research in their respective discipline .....don't let some1 come and be making u feel small,whereas,he or she is trying hard to survive in a battle of little or common gain

A doctor is a Doctor, their degree no talk doctor of the heart or Doctor of kidney.. The body is made up of organs and systems that work together. When one system wey u no dey specialize on is causing damage to another system, because you dey specialize mean say u go dey ignorant and your patient will die away? An Ideal doctor knows all but a doctor is human and not a computer... If i gv u syringe to draw blood u, it looks easy but u cnt.. A new doctor can make mistake or forget which is very normal but he gets experience as the years go by

talking without reasoning is not your case but Ignorance... You feel you knw abt the profession but you don't. it is trash because it specializes when every single course of earth specializes... You will only understand their importance when you just get kidney failure or one kind disease wey hard to control after u don blow like Dangote... Na then u go knw say u say no be beans
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by omojeesu(m): 10:48am On Mar 09, 2018
greiboy:

YES, BUT ALL NEED GOOD HEALTH TO FUNCTION! MAY YOU NOT BE SICK, VERY SICK THEN YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT A DOCTOR IS.

EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT BUT SOME THINGS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS.

EVERYONE IS IMPORTANT BUT, YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, SOME PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS.

EVERY WORK IS IMPORTANT BUT THOSE THAT HAVE TO DO WITH HEALTH ARE MORE IMPORTANT, ESPECIALLY THE PHYSICIAN'S WORK.

SOCIETY RECOGNISES IT SO THAT'S WHY IT PLACES A HIGH PREMIUM ON DOCTORS AND THEIR SERVICE. BUT IN THIS COUNTRY OF OURS DOCTORS ARE NOT VALUED. THAT'S WHY MANY LEAVE FOR WHERE THEY ARE APPRECIATED AND VALUED AND COMPENSATED WELL.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Win95: 10:48am On Mar 09, 2018
reciprokal:
Only in Nigeria is the medical profession held in reverence by both the vast majority of illiterates and certificate-holding illiterates too.
I don see you wey dey abroad na
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by 400billionman: 10:49am On Mar 09, 2018
I know you are bashing ladies who attach so much importance to a man's profession. Nah local girls nah. Don't blame them. Nwunye Dokita
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by omojeesu(m): 10:54am On Mar 09, 2018
Health and Health Care are BASIC NEEDS!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Demayour: 10:56am On Mar 09, 2018
300wayne:
BRAIN

Yes I concur. Life is not meant to be a field of competition but an arena for complementary activities. The world got to where it is today because teachers, farmers, bricklayers, doctors, engineers, traders and every other person did what they were supposed to do. If you ever feel you should compete, make your competition a daily improvement of what you are called to do. Everyone and every profession is as important as others.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by omojeesu(m): 10:58am On Mar 09, 2018
In MHNs physiologic NOT psychologic needs are the MOST BASIC NEEDS!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by sweetmusic12: 11:00am On Mar 09, 2018
BrutalJab:
Bia op which school denied you admission to study medicine?
It's not yet the end of life bro!
keep trying OK?

I really believe you are right on this one.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:00am On Mar 09, 2018
Smartchidi:

When I hear;

LMAO! load of crap! hogwash!
lemme guess you are probably a med lab scientist, pharmacist or whatever.....you sound so pained in your post, see how he is saying you will just read this and read that like say na beans you dey fry grin
you think it is easy to read through the whole physiology text book and anatomy within the space of a year and half?
even the research you mentioned who heads health research institute if not doctors?
i reiterate doctors are at the top of the ladder...little wonder they have been made the bench mark of success and hence the ridiculous and shameful comparison
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:01am On Mar 09, 2018
pinknipple:

But they can't even give a clue on how an injecting needle is made.......SHAME!!!!

when you have something intelligent to say quote me undecided
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Joshuazedd(m): 11:04am On Mar 09, 2018
Acidosis:
This is the problem with most of you:

You adore people because of what they study, what they earn, the post they hold, where they're born, their status in the society, etc.

If we all learn to honour and respect people because they're humans, Nigeria's problems will drastically reduce.

Our so called love is not real, this is why Ambode will most likely fix a case of robbery in Ikoyi than those robbery cases on the Mainland. The urgency to fix the problem is first, tied to the "type" of people living in Ikoyi.

We don't love genuinely in Nigeria; contrary to the popular lies we tell ourselves, we are far from being a loving people.

If you love and respect people because they're Doctors (not because they're human beings with a soul), then your love is highly questionable.. Truth is, you do not love.. Take away the Dr., and you will see how mindless you're.

If, in your job, you give special attention to some class of people over other fellow human beings, then you're far from loving.

Note, there is nothing wrong in paying some class of people more. An experienced Doctor should be paid more than a Nurse because he renders more/costly services. Contrary to the popular belief, a Doctor should not be paid more because;

1. He spent 6 years in school: this I must say is the most myopic view ever. Some carry-over students spend 10 years.. does it mean we have to pay them more? Of course, No!

2. He deals on human lives: as reasonable as this sounds, it's still not a logical reason to pay them more. Drivers, Okada riders, etc.. deal on human lives. Mechanics deal with humans. A mechanic error can kill over a 100 passengers at a goal, it is as bad as that.. so it is actually du.mb, when anyone raises shoulders and expect to be paid more because you touch blood. No, that's du.mb.. Your so called illiterate mechanic can deliberate alter your braking system and before you say jack, you're already at the "other side"!

In sum, lets all respect people because they're first, humans, before becoming anything. If you render more service, if you work in a booming industry, then you deserve to earn more and be respected like every other human being.

This status-gap we see today is a result of the half baked education a lot of people received in this country, and parents as well are culprits! Go and check the wealthy 21st-century families, you will hardly see any parents enforcing some courses on their wards. The practice of reverencing some courses above others is common among those on the lower end of the tree.

Official number of years it will take to cover syllabus of medsurg or related- 6years, others 4years but because some refused to read and kept on piling up carryovers over 10years, you should be paid same?
PS Medsurg takes 10years in many universities others 8years
**their work is so voluminous and it is crucial for them to never for what they know. The payment they get is paltry compared to The work they put in

**like i always say You will only appreciate doctors when you are a billionaire but have Kidney failure
or one kind disease condition wey hard.. You will pay everything, sell your land, everything to get well
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by JARUSHUB: 11:05am On Mar 09, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Approves Four New Private Universities In Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Kaduna / 2017/2018 UNILAG Merit Admission List / FG Releases N16.8bn To Settle Tertiary Institutions Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.