Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,442 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) (20762 Views)

Justin Chukwudi Olewuezi Graduates From Russian University As A Medical Doctor / Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Age: David Okorogheye Denied Admission From Studying Medicine For Being 15 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:06am On Mar 09, 2018
TEYA:

What makes it more difficult than nuclear physics, civil engineering etc? It's all about passion. If you find it difficult to do maybe you go for some other course.

time over time we have seen med school drop out who/people who failed in med school and went to other courses and came out on top...if you can study mbbs successfully you can study any other course with ease..
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:10am On Mar 09, 2018
reciprokal:

Exactly my point. You were forced to study medicine without having the aptitude.

There are a billion courses (exaggerations intentional) more mentally demanding than medicine even within the health sciences like biochemistry.

Why do heck do you think Nigeria don't have courses like a astronomy, space science, astrophysics, astronautics, aerospace engineering etc?

This is what differentiate countries and the knowledge is often hidden. Medicine is way easier is basic knowledge is within man's grasp and natural knowledge.

anyone who studies mbbs and graduates successfully can study any other course....courses more mentally demanding? how many people can cope with going to sch monday-saturdays without having semester break for a full year?
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by uprightman11: 11:14am On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder

Oga go and read law then you'll know what it takes to pass the Bar Finals...
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:16am On Mar 09, 2018
uprightman11:

Oga go and read law then you'll know what it takes to pass the Bar Finals...

i laugh in swahili even law students know its nothing compared to part 1 MB exam

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Amiodarone: 11:16am On Mar 09, 2018
Smartchidi:

When I hear;
Mbbs is the hardest course to study...I jos laugh out loud
Coming to think of it,dats the dumbest profession I hv seen in a lifetime....you start Yr 2...read or better off cram anatomy,physiology and bch textbooks until Yr 3 write 2nd mb,enter Yr 4,do pharm. And pathology with all d junior medicine and surgery posting,yr5,O&G and paediatrics......and some1 there claiming MBBS student cannot tell degree of dilation.lol....OK,manage common fibrile fever of a baby...no way
Even after d finals,internship and residence and all d west African physician exams

You will be practically doing a single or closely related thing for d rest of ur big self life....give ceftraxone tds...mtcheews
If u are doing residence in O&G...during CS,is still d same point of incision over and over again

Jos see wastage of human talent
And u are claiming top of ladder
Brother, ur ladder was lieing on the floor
Shoutout to those who will venture into research in their respective discipline .....don't let some1 come and be making u feel small,whereas,he or she is trying hard to survive in a battle of little or common gain

You sound like somebody that failed out of medical school. If you knew those courses you mentioned just like that you wouldn't be saying that
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 11:17am On Mar 09, 2018
Amiodarone:

You sound like somebody that failed out of medical school. If you knew those courses you mentioned just like that you wouldn't be saying that

leave him alone....he is just pained and frustrated
its nobody's fault he couldn't study mbbs
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Teemaan(m): 11:22am On Mar 09, 2018
well-done guyz.....many reasonable responses and a few inanity ones.

let me take my time to state firmly that the intention of my thread is not to under estimate any profession rather, it is just explaining the fact that your profession, in as much as it can influence your individual character has nothing to do with your behavior as a person. I only used Medical Doctors as a case study because almost everyone believe it's the height of all professions( not true). Deal with an individual according to his natural being not because of his or her profession. That he is a lawyer doesn't mean he can't be a fraudster. That she is a banker doesn't mean she won't be saucy. That he is a Clinical scientist doesn't mean he can't perpetrate evil....lmao. That she is a Doctor doesn't mean she will be everything you need in a woman.......
Your profession is yours, it is important to you, hype it reasonably as much as u want but don't judge someone else by his/her profession. Yes she is a dancer, she has some crazy, sexy and naughty dance steps and u concluded...her office go don spoil....u aren't wise.

In summary, deal with the individual and not the profession.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Joshuazedd(m): 11:22am On Mar 09, 2018
greiboy:
Actually that can be debatable. Every need of humans is very important for our survival.

Using Maslow hierarchy of needs

1)The psychological needs which are the basic and most essential for the survival of humans comes first .I.e air, water, sleep, shelter food etc

The professionals required here are

Engineers and Architects to provide shelter

Agricultural expert or farmers to provide food etc

2) Safety need comes second, which is the need to ensure personal security, financial security, Heath and wellbeing.

The professionals required here are Doctors, security guards, bankers and accountants etc

you need to be born first and screened and vaccinated
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 09, 2018
Joshuazedd:

you need to be born first and screened and vaccinated
births were recorded in the past without medical doctors
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Acidosis(m): 11:25am On Mar 09, 2018
Joshuazedd:

Official number of years it will take to cover syllabus of medsurg or related- 6years, others 4years but because some refused to read and kept on piling up carryovers over 10years, you should be paid same?
PS Medsurg takes 10years in many universities others 8years
**their work is so voluminous and it is crucial for them to never for what they know. The payment they get is paltry compared to The work they put in

**like i always say You will only appreciate doctors when you are a billionaire but have Kidney failure
or one kind disease condition wey hard.. You will pay everything, sell your land, everything to get well

You're repeating the same problems I've raised. We all must learn to appreciate everyone whether or not we need their assistance or help. I don't have to wait till I fall sick before appreciating a Doctor.. I don't have to wait till I'm caught in the middle of a deadly robbery scene before appreciating the services of security personnel.

Respect people because they're people, and whatever it is they studied will become secondary. A Doctor is a life saver, so is a Nigerian Soldier in Borno and a road side mechanic.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Joshuazedd(m): 11:27am On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

time over time we have seen med school drop out who/people who failed in med school and went to other courses and came out on top...if you can study mbbs successfully you can study any other course with ease..

genetics and neurosurgery
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ehissi(m): 11:38am On Mar 09, 2018
E be like say Doctor don thief OP babe........ grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 09, 2018
ponti93:
will u fund them

I will and I would expect other too to do the same. I mean our Engineering Graduates using local resources as in making the tools they need from iron ore like our fore fathers did over two thousand years ago and then making modifications to it, is this not how the developed nation are where the are today.

What this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVF6Rna_40 of our blacksmiths industry in 1500 BC

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 11:45am On Mar 09, 2018
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Venerable612(m): 11:46am On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:
Anytime i read threads like this i just shake my head
there is no doubt that medicine is the most difficult course to study and as such anyone who graduates successfully is usually respected and adored....because if you know what it takes to go through med school..the crazy ward rounds, sleepless nights just to pass the MB, the insults you receive in front of your patient and all, you would not come here to make ridiculous comparisons!
yes everyone is important but there is a hierarchy, and doctors are at the top of the ladder

May be in Nigeria sir!

You should take your time to read on the Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Canary Wharf and Chancery Lane.

I am sure you will be convinced you are wrong sir!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 09, 2018
ofai:
Well, am I'mmany things rolled into one.

First a teacher,

Then a Nutritionist,

A missionary preacher,

An entrepreneur,

And then counselor/psychologist.

Am I'm proud of who I am o.

MEd., BSc. (Ed.), OND....... only me o...ah ah, e easy?

∆ Dear certificate holder, e no easy! ∆

2 Likes

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by eedimo(m): 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
It's obvious that your post is borne out of jealousy and it isn't good for you. I would advice you to concentrate on doing what you know how to do and strive torwards excellence in the stead of allowing jealousy to drive you to an unhealthy lifestyle of comparism.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by kfash02(m): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2018
[Nice write up , buy u err on the side of picking out one profession, it applies to all professions in the world , there are bad lawyers , teachers, engineers, pastors, etc the fact is the world is divided into 2 , no in between there are good people and bad people no matter the profession , just match their speech to their action and you will know who is who . As I always say nobody can make u feel inferior without your consent, forget about profession , in the end it's about who made more money , that's what I found out it boils down to ,quoteemaandict of nairaland for a couple of years now like....if I've not confirmed any news up here, it is not valid to me. I created a profile a couple of weeks ago and now, this is my first post......
let me share this as an antidote to a thread that was posted earlier by another nairalander.......

The fact that they are called medical Doctor does not make dem better, they are just ordinary human who had the intent to be called a Doctor or be an human scientist and gave the aspiration a pursuit.

He asked you out and you feel like OMG, he's a medical Doctor , ohk continue but know that, it is just a profession and not an human characteristic. He might be a doctor with characters worse than that of an apprentice.

You heard she studied medicine and you said to yourself, she will make a good wife and mother for my children... You are deceived by the smile she wears and the gentle warm feel of her hands when treating and attending to her patients
You forgot that's what she's trained to do and might not necessarily be her natural composition. Don't be surprised if she turns out bossy, a Nagger and probably a flirt.

That white overall they put on, that stethoscope hanging around their neck, that spectacles, that nose cover that drops to their jaw when not used and that way they dock their hands in that so called white overall( lab coat) is just what their job entails. It is as useful as cutlass and hoe to a farmer.

Ask me why I wrote all of this, I will tell you why those in the profession, parents and NYSC doesn't need to make us feel inferior because we chose to study some other courses.
Doctors(not all anyways) are quite intelligent and so are YOU. The difference is just the profession and nothing more.
I call it diversified intelligence. [/quote]
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by kfash02(m): 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2018
[Nice write up , buy u err on the side of picking out one profession, it applies to all professions in the world , there are bad lawyers , teachers, engineers, pastors, etc the fact is the world is divided into 2 , no in between there are good people and bad people no matter the profession , just match their speech to their action and you will know who is who . As I always say nobody can make u feel inferior without your consent, forget about profession , in the end it's about who made more money , that's what I found out it boils down to ,quoteemaandict of nairaland for a couple of years now like....if I've not confirmed any news up here, it is not valid to me. I created a profile a couple of weeks ago and now, this is my first post......
let me share this as an antidote to a thread that was posted earlier by another nairalander.......

The fact that they are called medical Doctor does not make dem better, they are just ordinary human who had the intent to be called a Doctor or be an human scientist and gave the aspiration a pursuit.

He asked you out and you feel like OMG, he's a medical Doctor , ohk continue but know that, it is just a profession and not an human characteristic. He might be a doctor with characters worse than that of an apprentice.

You heard she studied medicine and you said to yourself, she will make a good wife and mother for my children... You are deceived by the smile she wears and the gentle warm feel of her hands when treating and attending to her patients
You forgot that's what she's trained to do and might not necessarily be her natural composition. Don't be surprised if she turns out bossy, a Nagger and probably a flirt.

That white overall they put on, that stethoscope hanging around their neck, that spectacles, that nose cover that drops to their jaw when not used and that way they dock their hands in that so called white overall( lab coat) is just what their job entails. It is as useful as cutlass and hoe to a farmer.

Ask me why I wrote all of this, I will tell you why those in the profession, parents and NYSC doesn't need to make us feel inferior because we chose to study some other courses.
Doctors(not all anyways) are quite intelligent and so are YOU. The difference is just the profession and nothing more.
I call it diversified intelligence. [/quote][color=#000099][/color]
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by kfash02(m): 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2018

I call it diversified intelligence. [/quote][/color][color=#000099]
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by DonroxyII: 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2018
Rursh:
Dear OP, studying Medicine or being a medical doctor worth being over hyped if at all it is.
They deal with human life my brother and anything that has to do with human life shouldn't be taken likely.
Doctor help to keep one alive in cases of failing health condition. Permit me to say "they are next to God" or "they are God on earth"
Did you not read in the news recently that Doctors in Canada are protesting too much money being paid to them?
*Rursh
*Proudly a Clinical scientist
Don't mind the guy , I already promised myself .... I'm gonna marry a medical doctor who shall become a consultant and CMD of a mega Hospital or high ranked at WHO !!!

I love medicine jare though I'm a chartered Accountant !!

A doc saved my life after I chopped indomie and drank tea that was highly and extremely soaked in Indian hemp ..... I went into convulsion and felt my heart has inflated , I couldn't breath ..... I took two drips and ceepam or what was it called !!!

It was 6am the following morning I knew I was still alive !!!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by SoldierBoy1(m): 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2018
Hehehehe..... I wan talk something about Medicine but girls go attack me, so maa just reserve my comment, but I sure say some guys go still code wetin I wan talk ..... But anyhow sha, as a Mechanical Engineering student, I never feel inferior to Medical students for my life. I dey happy sef say e no work when my momsy want maa go Ukraine study Medicine and Bowen University, thanks for giving me Biochemistry instead of medicine because una give me strong excuse of not studying Medicine . I was made for Engineering and the fulfillment I get studying my course gives me so much Joy to the extent that courses like Control systems, machine design etc give me joy..... Thumbs up to all my Engineering fellows..... If you love wetin you dey do, you no go feel inferior to anybody.

1 Like

Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2018
flamingREED:
Answer this question intelligently and make deductions.
To which professions are nobel prizes awarded?

na medicine Soyinka read if I slap u
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:35pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

De drop pple cos 99 percent want to read medicine so De use anything to drop pple dee is nothing special in medicine....Bill Gates zukerberg are famous today not for medicine....we are too narrow minded in dis part of dis world...evry course is important...emeagwali is known for medicine
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:39pm On Mar 09, 2018
Acidosis:

You're repeating the same problems I've raised. We all must learn to appreciate everyone whether or not we need their assistance or help. I don't have to wait till I fall sick before appreciating a Doctor.. I don't have to wait till I'm caught in the middle of a deadly robbery scene before appreciating the services of security personnel.

Respect people because they're people, and whatever it is they studied will become secondary. A Doctor is a life saver, so is a Nigerian Soldier in Borno and a road side mechanic.
Tel dem oooo.... if a teacher don't teach well d society suffers...everyone's has value it's depends on d society...if Ronaldo and ur prof of medicine visit u am sure pple ll choose Ronaldo ist
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by TEYA: 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2018
AnonHq:

Absolutely false! A person can be a very successful doctor yet fail woefully in another field! There are people also who failed in other disciplines yet went on to excel brilliantly elsewhere. A person may excel in medicine and fail in engineering or architecture.I If you are not happy doing what you do and you nag endlessly about it and get frustrated easily doing it, then that thing is not for you, go elsewhere. In life, nothing is difficult except you don't have any business doing it!
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by seyoops4u: 1:13pm On Mar 09, 2018
Lol... SO, Drivers don't deal with human lives ? Kwontinue!! ...
As far as I'm concerned, no course is simple!!!..
Rursh:
Dear OP, studying Medicine or being a medical doctor worth being over hyped if at all it is.
They deal with human life my brother and anything that has to do with human life shouldn't be taken likely.
Doctor help to keep one alive in cases of failing health condition. Permit me to say "they are next to God" or "they are God on earth"
Did you not read in the news recently that Doctors in Canada are protesting too much money being paid to them?
*Rursh
*Proudly a Clinical scientist
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 1:13pm On Mar 09, 2018
Venerable612:

May be in Nigeria sir!

You should take your time to read on the Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Canary Wharf and Chancery Lane.

I am sure you will be convinced you are wrong sir!

stop being petty in your thinking. doctors are the highest paid anywhere in the world! those who work on wall street, silicon valley all visit doctors when they have one illness or the other
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 09, 2018
[quote author=Teemaan post=65658913]I've been an addict of nairaland for a couple of years now like....if I've not confirmed any news up here, it is not valid to me. I created a profile a couple of weeks ago and now, this is my first post......

I call it diversified intelligence. I expect to see a superior arguement but dissapointed. its never too late, go write Jamb and choose Medicine or go to privTe university and study it, admission is easy in private uni for medicine but to graduate is hard cos you would not move forward till u pass.
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by AnonHq(m): 1:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
OGHENAOGIE:
De drop pple cos 99 percent want to read medicine so De use anything to drop pple dee is nothing special in medicine....Bill Gates zukerberg are famous today not for medicine....we are too narrow minded in dis part of dis world...evry course is important...emeagwali is known for medicine

i can't even figure out what you wrote... stop being foolish
so ben carson is know for what? Nikcolas papnicolau is known for what? Dr Oluyinka Olutoye is known for what?
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ConAir(m): 1:20pm On Mar 09, 2018
IFNOTGOD:

same way e no easy to be an Engineer n me it was not easy been a Geographer, while d doctors deal with providing immediate life saving operation on humans the engineers contribute to human race through chemical, biological and mechanical engineering by going into more research n providing d doctors wit tools needed for successful operations n also save lifes n the geographer provides data on environment, study diseases(medical Geography) n the earth as a whole n even with GIS n GPS life have been saved so non is more important.

na corporation na make pot of rice full
I believe every course is has it's own quota to fill in the society, we all need to contribute our own knowledge in our various academic fields for a better future. Peace
Re: Studying Medicine/ Being A Medical Doctor( Over Hyped ) by ofai: 1:37pm On Mar 09, 2018
OrestesDante:

∆ Dear certificate holder, e no easy! ∆

Thank you so much, I suppose you are an English Language major right? Well, i am not, and it doesn't bother me especially in an informal forum like Nairaland. I am a biology teacher with a strong vocational bsckground in Food Science and Nutrition. shikena cheesy

Imela....jish'ike.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB 2017 UTME 15th May - Live Update - / UNIJOS ICT Staff Who Issued Fake Receipts To Students Arrested / Unbelievable: NANS ''honours'' Buruji Kashamu (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.