Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:28 AM

See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard (52117 Views)

The Cake Made For An English Graduate Of Ambrose Alli University / See What A Student Wrote On His Physics Paper!!! / Look At What This Undergraduate Wrote On Facebook....(photos Attached) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by achiever12: 12:50pm On Mar 08, 2018
Kennydoc:

Just stop already! Who told you my scope is limited? Nairaland is a funny place mehn. People come online and be forming what I don't know. Can I post a shot of my IELTS result to you so that you will understand I am not a novice when it comes to English speaking and writing? Have you communicated with native English speakers before and they told you you speak well? What's your problem?
Most of us used to call it 'round up' when we were young until we learnt the right thing. Many graduates still use that term today, cos they haven't learnt. But as far as the Nigerian parlance is concerned, using the term 'round up' instead of 'round off' is never a big deal. Even the sounds of the 2 are nearly alike.
Guy, behave yourself o.

You sat for IELTS, yet you are saying round off is the same as round up? Difference between round up and round off is one of the first things an o'level student should learn before sitting for WAEC. How come your IELTS prep and exam never taught you that simple thing? Did someone sit for the exam for you or you bought the result? Like I said earlier, stop disgracing yourself, boy.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Liberator007(m): 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
Iseoluwani:

Unfortunately the person z a full staff grin
Ha! No interview? Most of these schools get it wrong. If I have a school and you want to teach, after looking at your qualifications, I take you to the classroom and assess you. It is as simple as that.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by FBIL: 1:00pm On Mar 08, 2018
''....I met the English teacher teaching ,so I signalled to her to round up her class''.

All of you in that part of the country are the same. I mean YOU and THAT TEACHER. For your information:
(1) You ROUND UP NUMBERS, not activity.
(2) You ROUND OFF activity.
(3)Police or dogs ROUND ON people or criminals.
Say it like this: I bla bla..to round off her class.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by anochuko01(m): 1:00pm On Mar 08, 2018
Treasure17:
Our educational system needs total overhauling from the grass root to our tertiary institutions.
that's why I laugh when public higher institutions start arguing with themselves about who's better.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by lowaist101: 1:02pm On Mar 08, 2018
femi4:
Shut up, its not rocket science

You can give a news round up

You can round up criminals or numbers

Not a class or session. To end a class/session = Round off
Keep Quiet And Listen To Your Ignorance. I Believe Its(sic) Not A Rocket Science. The Meanings Of 'Round Up' Are- 1. To Find And Gather Together 2. A Summary Of The Most Important Points Of A Particular Subject. The First Is A Phrasal Verb And The Second Is A Noun. In The Class, U Can Give A Round Up Of The Topic Being Taught. Pls, Endeavour To Learn English Well.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Bnladan(m): 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2018
Treasure17:
Our educational system needs total overhauling from the grass root to our tertiary institutions.
that's y I'm in total support of wat gov elrufai did in Kaduna. Only if we stop supporting mediocrity, will our educational system gets better.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Nobody: 1:03pm On Mar 08, 2018
Zoo

And u wonder why no company will employ them even with their first class

After struggling on the street to make money and build up a company and u will expect of me to employ someone who sort his papers with dumb lecturers to gain first class certificate as my worker....HELL NO it takes more suffering than u can imagine to build up a company just to loose all to a dumb Nigeria school cert holder

That's why ur government is encouraging u all certificate holders to go back to the street u ran away from and hustle ur ass out...because they knew they thought u nothing in school and ur first class certificate was sorted

Thank you
Yours faithfully
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Enmas078(m): 1:09pm On Mar 08, 2018
[quote author=alphacyborg post=65660300][/quote]

Monitoring spirit... Lol...
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Jitey(m): 1:10pm On Mar 08, 2018
Iseoluwani:
This morning I was supposed to switch classes. On getting to one of the classes, I met the English teacher teaching ,so I signalled to her to round up her class. Just then I got interested in what she was teaching...

I really weep for the generations coming... This is what our education system has been reduced to.

Note this is a government owned school
lol�����������������
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by justtruth88miSt(f): 1:12pm On Mar 08, 2018
someone should correct her... enough of this noises
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Kennydoc(m): 1:12pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

You sat for IELTS, yet you are saying round off is the same as round up? Difference between round up and round off is one of the first things an o'level student should learn before sitting for WAEC. How come your IELTS prep and exam never taught you that simple thing? Did someone sit for the exam for you or you bought the result? Like I said earlier, stop disgracing yourself, boy.

Guy, stop being dumb! Read thru all my write up and point out where I said round off is the same as round up. Just quote only one statement I made that suggested the 2 are the same. I don't know why critical reasoning is very difficult for Nigerian youth these days.
I said it's a common mistake among many Nigerian graduates and it isn't a big deal. Many of us confused the 2 when we were growing up. Did I mean that are the same?
To round up someone or a group of people means to apprehend the person or the people. Rarely do you find people using round up in that sense in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, if you hear the term 'round up' used by a Nigerian who isn't a law enforcement officer, it's very likely the person meant round off.
And yes, my almost 2 year old IELTS has an overall band 8.5. That's 0.5 short of an overall band 9.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Assassin101: 1:13pm On Mar 08, 2018
so does our political system
Treasure17:
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by writeprof(m): 1:14pm On Mar 08, 2018
Bossontop:

If u listen to the spoken english of some of them u won't even believe they are teachers.....not to talk of teaching children at such a tender age that need a solid foundation....its sad really

It's a sad situation indeed. Even private schools employ people without qualifications to man kindagarten and nursery classes and you see these children struggling with English.

1 Like

Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Bester44(m): 1:19pm On Mar 08, 2018
Partnerbiz3:

round off NOT round up

You started a sentence with a letter in lower case, and you failed to end the sentence with a correct punctuation.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Bester44(m): 1:23pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

You are not different from that teacher. It is round off and not round up

Apostrophe should be used to distinguish a phrase or clause you wish to correct.

"It is 'round off', and not 'round up'."
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by achiever12: 1:27pm On Mar 08, 2018
Kennydoc:

Guy, stop being dumb! Read thru all my write up and point out where I said round off is the same as round up. Just quote only one statement I made that suggested the 2 are the same. I don't know why critical reasoning is very difficult for Nigerian youth these days.
I said it's a common mistake among many Nigerian graduates and it isn't a big deal. Many of us confused the 2 when we were growing up. Did I mean that are the same?
To round up someone or a group of people means to apprehend the person or the people. Rarely do you find people using round up in that sense in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, if you hear the term 'round up' used by a Nigerian who isn't a law enforcement officer, it's very likely the person meant round off.
And yes, my almost 2 year old IELTS has an overall band 8.5. That's 0.5 short of an overall band 9.

You clearly said round off can be replaced with round up. What other thing does that mean if not that round up is synonymous with round off? And if they didn't teach you well during your IELTS tutorials, let me enlighten you that synonymous means "have the same meaning." Your IELTS score is trash since you can't even defend it.
I repeat stop disgracing yourself, boy.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by adekhingz(m): 1:29pm On Mar 08, 2018
MissJoy29:

It's not as if it's reporting. This is a very costly mistake. It should even be reported. But the sad truth is that, there are lots of worse cases than this. The standard of education in Nigeria is just too low for comfort.

I fear for this generation

I don't know what to say....

Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Kennydoc(m): 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

You clearly said round off can be replaced with round up . What other thing does that mean if not that round up is synonymous with round off? And if they didn't teach you well during your IELTS tutorials, let me enlighten you that synonymous means "have the same meaning." Your IELTS score is trash since you can't even defend it.
I repeat stop disgracing yourself, boy.

Can you quote where I made that statement in bold or you shut your mouth forever! It will be a big shame if you can't point out where I made that statement. Go through all my write ups again. I'm waiting for you.

While you're looking for it, take note of what I wrote here:
Most of us used to call it 'round up' when we were young until we learnt the right thing . Many graduates still use that term today, cos they haven't learnt . But as far as the Nigerian parlance is concerned, using the term 'round up' instead of 'round off' is never a big deal . Even the sounds of the 2 are nearly alike.

Never knew I was discussing with a kid all these while. You aren't worth my time boy. Run off!
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by achiever12: 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2018
Kennydoc:

Can you quote where I made that statement in bold or you shut your mouth forever! It will be a big shame if you can't point out where I made that statement. Go through all my write ups again. I'm waiting for you.

While you're looking for it, take note of what I wrote here:

Since you know they are different, why then are you splashing oral diarrhea all over the place and yapping about ielts like someone suffering from inferiority complex?
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by sichri(m): 1:37pm On Mar 08, 2018
Iseoluwani:
This morning I was supposed to switch classes. On getting to one of the classes, I met the English teacher teaching ,so I signalled to her to round up her class. Just then I got interested in what she was teaching...

I really weep for the generations coming... This is what our education system has been reduced to.

Note this is a government owned school
Though I'm not exonerating the teacher, @Iseoluwani, you should have also checked your grammars and punctuations before weeping for the next generation. Charity begins at home.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Kennydoc(m): 1:38pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

Since you know they are different, why then are you splashing oral diarrhea all over the place and yapping about ielts like someone suffering from inferiority complex?

Just get off! I'm done with you.
GET OFF!
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by achiever12: 1:42pm On Mar 08, 2018
Kennydoc:

Just get off! I'm done with you.
GET OFF!

Inferiority complex victim, bury your head in the sand of shame. What is wrong is wrong. Round off is different from round up. Write it in exam and be telling your examiner that it is pardonable. Useless trashy IETS that he can't defend. Empty barrel.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

You are not different from that teacher. It is round off and not round up

Can't you see that they are colleagues?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Treasure17(m): 1:47pm On Mar 08, 2018
Assassin101:
so does our political system
Absolutely, in fact all sectors cause none seems to be functioning.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:52pm On Mar 08, 2018
I'm not surprised. I taught in a private school for a while and the English Teacher really did leave much to be desired... She was teaching them so much nonsense. I tried intervening on a few occasions, but it made her feel threatened by me. Couldn't exactly report this to the Proprietress either because I didn't want to seem like a bad person.

Poor students. cry
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Assassin101: 1:53pm On Mar 08, 2018
in essence, the whole country is in dire need of absolute and total overhauling
Treasure17:

Absolutely, in fact all sectors cause none seems to be functioning.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by augustine: 1:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
Treasure17:
Rather than overhaul, they have further stepped down the pass mark for JAMB to 120 over 400: so that they can conveniently continue to practice quota system / educationally disadvantaged states. It's so disheartening.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by MissJoy29(f): 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2018
adekhingz:

I don't know what to say....

Don't say...just Pray for the country sad

1 Like

Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Reeberry: 1:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
Then you had to create a thread for this? You aren't different either.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Kennydoc(m): 2:06pm On Mar 08, 2018
achiever12:

Inferiority complex victim, bury your head in the sand of shame. What is wrong is wrong. Round off is different from round up. Write it in exam and be telling your examiner that it is pardonable. Useless trashy IETS that he can't defend. Empty barrel.

It's alright, this has turned to paediatric verbal tussle. I am never good at it, so I'll let you win.
You have won, okay. Congratulations!
Have a good day.
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by cadre88(m): 2:09pm On Mar 08, 2018
And George Weah needs teachers from Nigeria
Re: See What An English Teacher Wrote On The Chalkboard by Hisreplica: 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2018
This one weak me die. Pls give me space, I want to faint

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? / KASU Students Beat NDA Cadets Over Girlfriend (Photos) / Offa Old Students Back To School, 35 Years After High School (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.