Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,245 members, 7,780,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:26 PM

Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? (8107 Views)

Keys For A Happy Marriage- A Christain Perspective / Is Going To Church Without Covering Your Hair A Sin? / Christain View Point On Long Hair, Tattoos, Body Piercing And The Way We Dress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by slimnike(m): 1:54am On Mar 09, 2007
Hello guys. I want to get your opinion about this issue that has been on ground for a long time. If You go to some Churches today,You will see that most of the Women don't cover thier Hair during Worship or when going to Church service. I have seen some Pastors preached against it. I want to know, is it a compulsory thing for Women to cover thier Hair?
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by cuteass1(f): 2:01am On Mar 09, 2007
Actually  you should because the bible says a lady should cover her hair while a guy should uncover his. But the white men has made it an option and churches who want to live up to modernization leaves it to be an option.

Here in Norway even though nobody does, i still cover my hair in church because thats the way i was brought up . . . . But at the end of the day i think you have to do that which you feel is right wink
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 12:06pm On Mar 09, 2007
@ Slim Nike

WE are Told to cover our hair when we prophesy. Covering of hair of the women is Right and all through women should cover simple and short.

Now if you cover your hair when you are not prophesying then you are over doing it. It is when you are Praying and preaching and worshiping that is all no big deal about this.

Love from Christ
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Nella(f): 12:20pm On Mar 09, 2007
it is said that covering of hair is conpusery, in Nigerian Churches, in ma Church in Nigeria we used 2 cover hair, but i come here 2 Portugal n they don't ( d same church).
All d Churches i have seen here never cover their hair, but their branch in Nigeria do, so i don't know wat 2 say, but it dosen't mean that those peeps who don't cover their hair go 2 hell or something lyk that----- tongue
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2007
Any thing that is done without faith is sin. God is not the Author of Confusion. He said Cover your head when you pray
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by slimnike(m): 9:21pm On Mar 13, 2007
The thing is that is in the Bible that females must cover their hair when worshipping God. I will find out the verse and get back to You.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 7:04am On Mar 14, 2007
Not Just covering their hair but also being pure within and without. 100% holiness
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 14, 2007
even when you are bald,God still hears you.
Let's stop all this religiosity.
When you go to a Church where they cover hair,please cover,it is proper not to be a stumbling block to your brethren.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 7:19pm On Mar 14, 2007
READ your scripture well cover for the angels.

I know about Church history and i have seen ancient drawings the old Christians covered there head and we(ladies) are supposed to do when pray and preaching Simple and short.

It is in the New and old testament.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 15, 2007
I'm angry at y'all, no correct expression for the topic? and no professional explanation too.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 9:55am On Mar 15, 2007
1 Cor 11:1-16
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and therefore, though the Apostle Paul is writing this instruction, the Holy Spirit is leading him into truth.

2 Tim 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 16:13
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

This teaching opens with Paul's admonishment to keep the ordinances as he delivered (taught) them to us. In chapter eleven of First Corinthians, Paul teaches the observance of two ordinances. First, the ordinance of honoring headship and the second, that of observing communion at the Lord's table.

We would do well to note that Paul's first concern is that we obey these ordinances as he, led by the Spirit, delivered them (taught them) to us. Paul expects all church members to follow them as he has outlined without revision, addition or omission. He makes no allowances for changing them in any way. If we therefore, follow any teaching which adds, removes or changes any part of these ordinances, we contradict the authority which has inspired Paul to write these instructions. Such a contradiction to God's leading and His word can only be interpreted as sin; the sin of disobedience. All this can be discerned in the first two verses of this chapter.

1 Cor 11:1-2

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

Note, it says, "As I delivered them to you" not "as you would like".

Honor Your Authority

Paul then, having established his apostolic authority precedes to explain what he wants both men and women of God to do. We are to physically demonstrate our understanding and acceptance of God's order of authority. This physical demonstration of our submission has been provided for the sake of the angels.

A Matter Of Order

Paul explains that in the order of God's authority, Christ is subject to the power (authority) of His God and Father. Paul continues by instructing man that he must be subject to the authority of Christ and demonstrate this subjection by removing any coverings he may have on his head while praying or prophesying aloud. Paul acknowledges a difference between the way women demonstrate their recognition of authority (headship) and men do. He explains men must remove the covering from their head when praying or prophesying aloud because they're made in God's image and thus are His glory. We worship an unseen God, a God of Spirit and so it would seem that the unseen covering, when removed, best represents man's submission to God's authority (power).

Conversely, women are instructed to wear a covering on their heads while praying or prophesying aloud as a symbol that they recognize the authority (power) of man over them. The power on their head is man's authority, demonstrated visually by the covering they are to wear on their head. This is required because the woman was taken from man and thus is his glory. When angels may be present and able to hear her pray or prophesy aloud she must demonstrate her submission to man's authority (power) over her by wearing a visible covering. Thus by a visible covering the woman demonstrates to the angels her understanding of God's order of authority in the same way as does man by removing his covering. The woman wears a visible sign (the covering) over her head to honor her visible authority; the man. The failure of a man to remove his covering while praying or prophesying dishonors his head (Christ) and any failure of the woman to wear a covering while praying or prophesying dishonors her head, the man. Women are required to obey their husbands as unto the Lord (Eph 5:22) thus we may conclude that any dishonor to the man also brings dishonor to the Lord.

Eph 5:22
22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

It's No Misunderstanding

Some may claim that the word "man" used in this text applies only to husbands and therefore, doesn't apply to single women. This is false because, not every woman is married but every woman that prays or prophesies aloud with her head uncovered dishonors her head.

1 Cor 11:5
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

Note: it doesn't say every married woman but every woman, indicating single or married. The need to uncover, in the case of the man, or cover, in the case of the woman, is a gesture designed for the observance of angels.

The Reason For This Display

The need to do this most likely goes back to the great rebellion of heaven when a third of heaven's angels chose to ignore God's authority. These angles turned their back on God's authority (power) and left His divine protection to pursue their own will and satisfy their own appetites. Since this disaster, there has been a need for God's faithful to outwardly demonstrate their submission to His divine plan of authority. Again, this is done for the sake of the angels.

God Alone Sees

If angels were able to read the hearts of all humans, there would be no need for this visible symbol. It appears that angels neither see nor hear what we think or silently pray.

I King 8:39
39 Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of menwink

2 Chr 6:30
30 Then hear thou from heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and render unto every man according unto all his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou only knowest the hearts of the children of mensmiley

1 Sam 16:7
7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Jer 17:9-10
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings

1 Pet 3:4
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

God alone is privileged to know these things.

Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

A Demonstration Of Obedience

When we, as men and women of God, submit to this ordinance, we demonstrate our loyalty to the principles of God's authority. When we obey this ordinance, we join the ranks of those two third angels that kept faith with God. These same angels that will one day come to collect those of us who have submitted ourselves to Him.

In the verses following verse seven of I Corinthians eleven, Paul explains the reasons why men and women are required to observe this ordinance differently. He explains that in the beginning of creation man did not come from woman but woman from man. This is one reason for the woman to have a sign of authority on her head. To minimize any dissension this might cause, Paul reminds us that both men and women are one; stating that neither man or woman is without the other.

Doesn't Nature Teach Us

Paul, guided by the Holy Spirit, asks us to search within ourselves for the truth about the covering and by this suggests, that the spirit within us will agree. The spirit within will affirm that even our own choice of hair length suggests a natural awareness, a sensitivity to this issue. Men seem naturally to seek shorter hair and regard long hair as feminine. Thus, they reject much of their natural covering. Women on the other hand, tend to cover their heads with long hair showing a natural desire to cover; a covering which has been given to them by God and designed to bring them a natural beauty (glory). This illustration is given purely as an example as evidenced by the way it is introduced, “Doth not even nature itself teach you…” (1 Co11:14).

In no way does this suggest that hair may be substituted for a covering of cloth or other suitable material. When praying or prophesying, a suitable covering must be found that can be put on or removed, else why would it only be required when praying or prophesying? If the natural hair were sufficient then it would be foolish to require it only when praying or prophesying as the woman would be covered all the time. God does nothing that's foolish.

Two Sides Of The Issue

Most churches today seem to favor the idea that the covering is no longer required. They feel a woman's long hair is sufficient to satisfy this requirement. Few church fellowships practice this custom if any and most tend to consider it a legalistic practice. If, however, you were to ask these same groups how much of the New Testament they should obey and follow, most would answer, "all of it.” If we believe the Lord’s commandments are not burdensome, and if we are to keep the traditions of the Apostles, how then can we avoid this ordinance?

I Jn 5:3
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

II Th 2:15
15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Again, if long hair is an adequate way to meet this requirement, then how do we explain it only being required when praying or prophesying? We may note that among today's Christian women it is common to see short hair often rivaling the hairstyles of men. What kind of covering is this? Please note that while a covering is required when a woman prays aloud or gives prophecy, she is not biblically required to have long hair. Long hair is a God given and God permitted adornment, it is not a commandment.

Today's women sometimes complain that long hair is too much to fuss with or state, "I can't be bothered with it every time I pray, it'll mess my hair," or "I'll look foolish.". The intent of this entire New Testament ordinance is to show the angels that men have not abandoned their honor of Christ and women haven't ceased to honor the male authority in their life. If we discontinue this practice, what message do we send the angels? If our women pin some fashionable, little lace cloth to the back of their head, covering only a small portion of their head, what does this demonstrate? Perhaps a careless, halfhearted sense of obedience to God's request and only partial submission to His order of authority.

The Other Position

The other position most often encountered is that of wearing it all the time. If it’s worth wearing to show obedience during prayer or prophecy, why not all the time? This ordinance is a sign of submission in the same way that feet washing is. If wearing the covering all the time is proper for the woman then I suppose men should never wear a hat, even if working in sub-zero temperatures. Perhaps we could find some way to wash each other's feet constantly, also. smiley

If the ordinances intended men to remain uncovered always or women to cover always it would have said so. What harm can it do to remain covered all the time? Is it sin? If we, as leaders, remove any liberty that is ours in Christ, if we add any regulation which is not authorized, then we place His flock once more in bondage and that is sin. It's sin for the leaders to teach this and sin for those who follow this teaching. If women allow themselves to wear a covering all the time because they're used to it but instruct their daughters to wear only while praying and prophesying, then they sin by example like the Pharisees for they "say and do not."

Matt 23:3
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Some women feel it's better to wear it all the time, it's more obedient, while at the same time making the covering smaller and pushing it further and further to the rear of the head. If this isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is. Why not simply obey the word of God as it is written, no more and no less, then maybe we can put an end to our endless wrangling about this subject.

It Should Be Obvious

1 Cor 11:16
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

The last verse of this text is difficult for some to understand clearly; I confess it takes a little reasoning to work out. Realizing that all the previous verses in this chapter deal with reasons to cover and uncover, it's obvious that Paul is not suggesting that we abandon the ordinances he just finished teaching. We must remind ourselves that this entire teaching is given so we will obey this ordinance.

1 Cor 11:2

Having stated this, we must conclude that this final verse must be understood this way. If any man comes to the church suggesting another means of observing respect for God's authority, let him know that in this church we observe no other custom than that which has been outlined here and all the other churches observe this same custom in the same way.

It's time we stopped saying we obey the entire New Covenant if we don't. Let's stop adding to it, subtracting from it or changing it and instead, why don’t we just do what it says from a willing and loving heart.

Summation

When a woman covers her head during public prayer or prophesy, she demonstrates her willing submission to the headship of man. In this act, she publicly recognizes him as the image and glory of God. When a woman speaks to God (prays) or for God (prophesies) she is spiritually standing before Him in the presence of His glory so it is fitting for her, as the glory of man, to cover herself thus concealing man’s glory in God’s presence.

It would be dishonest for any woman to cover herself while refusing to recognize the headship of man as the image and glory of God. The covering is a sign for angels, i.e. a language which indicates her acceptance of man’s headship. Thus, in her dissenting position, it would be improper for her to observe the practice of head covering. The covering should only be worn by women who honor and respect the headship of men.

Women who keep the practice of head covering do so as a public testimony to their acceptance of God’s order of authority. Women who do not cover when they pray or prophesy do so as a public testimony to their rejection of God’s order of authority, i.e. the headship of man. No church should ever impose this ordinance on any woman who does not agree with its meaning or practice. If a woman chooses not to recognize man’s headship, it would be hypocritical of her to maintain the practice of head covering. By refusing to wear it, she makes clear to the church, that she won’t be subject to male authority in the home or the church and though this is dishonoring to her husband or her church leadership, it is also a truthful, public, demonstration of the life she has chosen to live. Her shame is that she reveals this to the whole church by refusing to be covered thus, it is as though she has had her head shaved for all to see.

The Christian man, by removing his head covering, demonstrates his submission to the headship of Christ. Men who refuse to remove their head covering during public prayer or prophesy, dishonor their head, Jesus Christ and reveal their disobedience to the word of God. They hide from view their head, the representative image of God and His glory. By so doing, they deny the headship of Christ. Such men should be removed from the assembly as disobedient, divisive and/or contentious. By not removing their covering, they demonstrate their refusal to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord. This is not a difficult ordinance to obey for those whose hearts are willing to serve God. Why not demonstrate your willingness to serve God; He sacrificed His only begotten Son to both serve and save you?

1 Like

Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by slimnike(m): 12:46am On Mar 22, 2007
babaearly:

I'm angry at y'all, no correct expression for the topic? and no professional explanation too.
What analysis do you need again?
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 25, 2007
backslider that one na exposition
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by tega78(f): 12:11am On Apr 09, 2007
Not sure if it should be made compulsory, it certainly should be done out of respect for God's presence.

Most world religions have the women cover their hair when in presence of their deities/gods, why not Christians.

I think it is meant to symbolise humilty or something, before the presence of God.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by mamaput(f): 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2007
If we take the bible wordily then we should stone stubborn children to death.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by English1(f): 5:03pm On Apr 10, 2007
It clearly says that women's heads should be covered but it also says that 'for her hair is given her for a covering.'

~So unless you are a bald woman, you don't need to wear a hat or scarf. Your hair covers your head.

1 Like

Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 6:27pm On Apr 10, 2007
@english1

selective reading

ok does that mean we men should always shave our head.

Or the women should shave off the hair when not praying because it is When Praying that your head is to be vovered

Read it well
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by trinigirl1(f): 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2007
Covering of the head (hats, scarves, doilies etc) is NOT mandatory in today's church
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by busygirl(f): 9:25pm On Apr 10, 2007
[/quote][quote author=English1 link=topic=43873.msg1028123#msg1028123 date=1176221014]
It clearly says that women's heads should be covered but it also says that 'for her hair is given her for a covering.'

~So unless you are a bald woman, you don't need to wear a hat or scarf. Your hair covers your head.

may God bless your fingers @ the topic really funny.i don't know why people keep misunderstanding the bible.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by 1k001(m): 12:30am On May 12, 2007
@ backslider i think u should read that passage of scripture again. It clearly says the woman's hair is the covering for her head. It also says: if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him. Thus a woman doesn't need to cover her hair with a scarf and a man's hair shouldn't be worn long.

1 Like

Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by ricadelide(m): 1:30am On May 12, 2007
i'd like to recommend a book;
"The woman question" by Kenneth Hagin.
it would help in answering a lot of questions.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by Backslider(m): 10:42am On May 12, 2007
@Ricadelide

Please read the life kenneth Hagin and not his book when you finish then read about JESUS Then you will know that there are from different Zones.

If you are a women Cover Your head simple (only when prayiing and prophesying)
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by ricadelide(m): 1:30pm On May 12, 2007
Backslider:

@Ricadelide

Please read the life kenneth Hagin and not his book when you finish then read about JESUS Then you will know that there are from different Zones.
i don't get you, what are you saying? we can't read books by christian authors? or what? Or that Hagin wasn't a christian? or that Jesus talked about women covering their hair?
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by slimnike(m): 4:28am On Jun 02, 2007
Backslider:

@Ricadelide

If you are a women Cover Your head simple (only when prayiing and prophesying)
Please try not to confuss US.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by pcmecom(m): 8:17am On Jun 02, 2007
personally, i feel it doesnt matter,what matters most is the state of our mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by thesilent1(m): 9:55pm On Jun 02, 2007
When a woman covers her head during public prayer or prophesy, she demonstrates her willing submission to the headship of man. In this act, she publicly recognizes him as the image and glory of God. When a woman speaks to God (prays) or for God (prophesies) she is spiritually standing before Him in the presence of His glory so it is fitting for her, as the glory of man, to cover herself thus concealing man’s glory in God’s presence.

angry angry angry angry angry angry

Now, let me clarify some things. First of all, verse 2 where Paul says about the teachings, hold to the teachings. That word is a word that everywhere else is translated tradition. What it is not is doctrine. We are not talking about doctrine here. We are talking about tradition. Corinthians is a book of one practical problem after another in the Church. Most of Corinthians from 11 or 10 onward is really talking about the gatherings of the fellowship—the Church gatherings, the actual time when they were together, their services.

We are talking about a practical issue here. The key to understanding the whole section is up in chapter 10:32 where it says in the King James, “Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the Church of God.” The NIV reads, “Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the Church of God – even as I try to please everybody in everyway.” That is the overriding message of what Paul was saying. Let us not offend each other. The city of Corinth was a cultural blend of Greeks, Romans, and to a lesser extent Hebrews or Jews. All three of those cultures were represented among the saints, among the Church. All three of those cultures brought different traditions with respect to head covering and how they should pray and how they should prophesy and who should be covered and should the hair be up or down and so forth. Paul felt that this problem had to be solved because it was causing division and disruption in the Church, and people were not standing together. To get some specifics here, we will go verse by verse.

1 Corinthians 11:3 (NIV)
Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
The Greek words for man and woman are interchangeably translated with husband and wife. You have to be very careful when you are reading Scripture and you see the words for husband or wife or man or woman. What it is really talking about in the context is what determines the use. In this particular verse, it is husband and wife. Man is not the head of every women; a husband is the head of his wife. Two very important realizations when you approach the Word of God.

Now let us talk about headship; this is a great word. This word head is the Greek word kephale. When we talk about a head in English, we talk about someone who is in charge. We talk about the decision maker, the director, the coordinator, the ultimate one who is responsible, the one in authority. I want you to be very clear about the fact that the Greek word kephale did not have any shred of that connotation. They would never have used the word kephale like that. A lot of other Greek words are there that would have been used like that, but never kephale.

What did it mean? Kephale meant the foremost, the prominent part. It is used two ways. Basically, your literal head, which is pretty prominent and foremost—your face, what people look for when they want to see you. They look to your face, your head. It is also used of as headship in a more figurative sense to still mean foremost, but it does not mean director, coordinator, order giver. It has a military use also. The military use for this word refers to the worriers or soldiers who were first on the battlefield; the guys who ran first into danger to clear the way for the troops to follow, the risk takers, the brave ones; that is kephale. You know and I know even though we have never been soldiers that the people who are commanding the battle do not run in first.

We have to get out of our minds this idea that head means director or coordinator. It just was not used in that manner in the Greek language. It does not indicate hierarchy. This little verse in 1 Corinthians is not a ladder with women at the bottom. It is talking about the beautiful order of God’s creation that the prominent thing of Christ is God the Father Himself. The prominent foremost part of a man is his Lord and Savior, Christ. The foremost part of a woman is the man; think about it in very gentle terms. If you are married and you walk together as a couple, how does it usually go? The man is taller. He is physically stronger. That is pretty much across the board. An essence is there of the man being the provider and protector that is different from what a woman brings into a room. That is what this verse is meaning to say to us. In verse four, we launch into this thing about covered and uncovered and all this. Paul addresses the men first.

1 Corinthians 11:4 (NIV)
Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
He says, “Look guys, you do not need to have your head covered.” Well, the Greeks and the Romans would have never covered their head in worship, but the Jews wore the yamikahs. The yamikah was a traditional symbol that had to do with the shikinah glory. When Moses went up to the mountain, he covered his face with a veil because the glory of God was too great, and he was too unworthy. That was the origin and concept behind the yamikah according to several authors that I read. What Paul was saying is, “Take it off men. You have Christ in you. Your head is Christ. You are the glory of God.”

1 Corinthians 11:5 (NIV)
And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved.
The Greek, Roman, and Jewish women all wore their hair up. For the Jewish women particularly, to wear the hair up was a symbol of marriage comparable to our wedding ring. For a married woman to take her hair down in public was an incredible statement such as, “I do not want to be married to you anymore.” A Jewish woman would never go out into public without wearing a shawl over her head with the hair up underneath. A Greek woman would wear the hair up and would wear a covering over her head in public but not at home. The Roman women were much looser and freer in their culture. The women were a little bit more liberated. It was still not well thought of for a Roman woman to go out in public with her hair down. In all three cultures, long flowing hair was a symbol of real sensuality. This was something that only a husband would see of his woman, or occasionally, a prostitute would wear her hair down and flowing. All three cultures agreed that the long and flowing hair was not a real loving thing in a church service. One of the authors that I read compared a woman going into a service in Corinth with her hair down to one of us stepping into a service in a bikini. We might be really comfortable, but the guys would not be real blessed by that—kind of a distraction there.

The idea behind this whole section here was to give offense, to conduct yourself in a manner that is unifying and considerate of others. That is really the underlying message that is going on here.

1 Corinthians 11:6 (NIV)
If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.
Two places in the culture in Corinth existed where you would see hair being shorn. This occurred among some prostitutes and among some of the pagan temple worship. What Paul was doing here was a figure of speech. He was using the most extreme example to make a point. We do this in our language all the time. We overstate or exaggerate into the ridiculous to make a point, and that was the figure of speech that Paul was using here. He was not saying that if you are not willing to cover your head then shave it! That would be the absolute extreme. That was not the heart. He was almost being a little bit humorous.

1 Corinthians 11:7 (NIV)
A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
When I read this when I was putting it on my wedding invitation, in my heart of hearts, I wanted to glorify God. What I felt that God was saying was that women just glorify men; “you just go over there (step aside) and glorify men, but men are going to glorify Me.” I was with an organization of people who happen to love that line of thinking and jumped on that one with both feet. It was heartbreaking! I want to clear something up about that. Think about it this way. When in Genesis God created Adam, He put together His utter best; His own image and likeness, and He said, “Here he is. He is man to fellowship with me; and then he watched Adam, and He realized that Adam was lonely; thus He made woman. He took from Adam’s rib and capped His creation with the most beautiful, sensitive, and perfect complement to Adam.

I am going to read something from the book Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. It is a must read for every woman and every man. It is really a book to men about how God wired men, but it also has some statements about how God wired women.

“And yes, God has a beauty to unveil. There is a reason that man is captivated by woman. Eve is the crown of creation. If you follow the Genesis narrative carefully, you will see that each new stage of creation is better than the one before. First, it is all formless, empty, and dark; then, God begins to fashion raw materials like an artist working with a rough sketch or a lump of clay. Light and dark, land and sea, or earth and sky, it is beginning to take shape. With a word, the whole floral kingdom adorns the earth. The sun, moon, and stars fill the sky. Surely and certainly, His work expresses greater detail and definition. Next come fish, fowl, porpoises and red tail hawks. The wild animals are next, and all of those amazing creatures. A trout is a wonderful creature, but a horse is truly magnificent. Can you hear the crescendo starting to swell like a great symphony building and surging higher and higher? Then comes Adam, the triumph of God’s handiwork, you are my very image the icon of my likeness. Adam bares the likeness of God in his fierce wild passionate heart; and yet, one more finishing touch is there. Eve is there. Creation comes to its high point, its climax with her. She is God’s finishing touch, and all Adam can say is “Wow!”

Now when you read, “since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man,” it should carry a different weight for you.

1 Corinthians 11:8-10 (NIV)
(cool For man did not come from woman, but woman from man;
(9) neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.
(10) For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
Now, a moment always comes in studying the Bible where you have to go, “What?” I could not find anyone who understood this one. Not one of the scholars I read got this angel thing at all. A time is there when you have to step back and say, “Well, I will ask Paul after the gathering.” This one, we just are not sure about with the exception of the second part of that verse—a women aught to have a sign of authority on her head. The word is exusia and the phrase “sign of” you can just scratch out (it is not in the Greek text). It is a woman aught to have authority on her head. Again, it is not clear at all what that means. It is textually sound when you do the research.

Something is here that was meant to be communicated about a woman having a power and authority that is legitimate. That is the Greek word that is used. It is not a power that is wrangled from someone else. It is a power that she was given. The only thing that I could think about this was maybe that this was referring to that part of Adam that looked at Eve and went, “Wow!” All the stories that we hear about things like Helen of Troy, the face that launched a thousand ships, man wants a beauty to rescue. That is something that gives her a certain leverage, a certain power. It is upon our shoulders to use it wisely and lovingly.

1 Corinthians 11:11 (NIV)
In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.
This is a beautiful leveling and showing the interdependence of man and woman, in the Lord however. The woman is not independent of man nor is man independent of woman. Neither one of them can say, “I do not need you.”

1 Corinthians 11:12-15 (NIV)
(12) For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.
(13) Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
(14) Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
(15) but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.
That phrase, the nature of things, is like the traditions, the long standing customs and it can be used to mean “just very nature itself.” Think about the cultures around the globe. Is it not typical that in most of them a woman wears her hair longer? This is just the nature of things. There is a lot to hair with women. Where do we get the whole thing about “bad hair day”? Well, it is because hair is important. The truth is here; a woman’s hair is her glory and her crown. It is an easing up of all of this stuff about “shawls and hats and up and down.” It is just look, “Your hair is beautiful. It is not meant for a source of contention.” That is why he wraps the whole section with verse 16.

1 Corinthians 11:16 (NIV)
If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.
The idea is that in a Church service you are to be loving, think about your appearance, and give none offence. Make it flow together. I hope that helps to clarify some things about hierarchy and ladders and why a woman is the glory of man.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by goodguy(m): 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2007
English1:

As backslider rightly said, this is selective reading.  You make it sound like Paul was contradicting himself, whereas he was only making certain distinctions.

1 Cor 11:5-6 (NIV) -
         "And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors
              her head
—it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her
           head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her
           hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head."

1 Cor 11:14-15 (NIV) -
          "Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace
            to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to
            her as a covering."

While the first quoted scripture talks about the importance of covering the head for a woman while praying or prophesying, the second scripture is simply making a distinction in order to reprove men who keep long hairs.

Note that in the latter, an indefinite article "a" is used before the word 'covering'.  By that, he was simply using that to correct the men who decided to keep long hairs like the women.  I imagine a scenario like this:

Paul:  Look, it is not proper for you men to keep long hairs.
The Men:  But the women have long hairs.  Why can't we?
Paul: Looking at things from the natural perspective, don't you think it's a shame for men to have long hairs?  Besides, a woman's hair is a natural covering, and it's a glory to her as well.

Also note that while Paul's first reference to the issue of hair covering is in correspondence to honouring God while praying or prophesying, his second reference translates to how we should portray ourselves as Christians.

If Paul was actually referring to the same 'covering' he earlier referred to, he would have used the definite article "the" instead.  Looking at the original Greek text alone, one will see that 'covering' as used in the two instances have slightly different meanings.

Regards.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by stimulus(m): 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2007
@goodguy,

You said it better than I would have. cool
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by chiogo(f): 2:51am On Jun 30, 2007
@Goodguy, u're so right. it says "head" not hair. Meanin' that if there's hair on it, not ordinary scalp, it's ok to not cover it.
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by chiegemba(f): 2:53am On Jun 30, 2007
@ topic depends on individuals. coverin one's hair doesnt ensure one's belief in Christ wink
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by TayoD(m): 6:06am On Jun 30, 2007
@thjesilent1,

I agree with you in most parts except the statement that Adam was lonely! That is not possible. The reason why God created Eve was not to keep Adam company, but to make Adam a true representation of Christ. Adam without the woman represntated and occupied the adamic office as Jesus, while Adam with the Woman represents the Christ!
Re: Covering Of Hair For Christain Women, Is It Compulsory? by stimulus(m): 9:15am On Jun 30, 2007
TayoD:

Adam without the woman represntated and occupied the adamic office as Jesus, while Adam with the Woman represents the Christ!

Wow! This one is new on me. Could you explicate more on the distinction?

(1) (2) (Reply)

True Definition Of Sin. / The Vaticans Colossal Wealth - They Started The Prosperity Gospel / Should Religion Be Important In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.