Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha (2684 Views)

You’re Wrong, Aworis Are Lagos First Settlers - Bamgbade Counters Oba Of Benin / Ooni Of Ife Ojájá II Ministers At Olókun Festival In Ile Ife [photos] / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 08, 2018
The Igbos were the first the first to settle in Ile-Ife, widely accepted as the cradle of the Yoruba race, the Obi of Onitsha, HRM Igwe Alfred Achebe, said on Tuesday.
He made the claim while speaking at the First Chinua Achebe International Conference organised by the Institute of African Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

A report this morning in Vanguard quoted the revered traditional ruler as saying that the Igbo society existed beyond what Chinua Achebe recorded in his books, disclosing that a recent history book has ascribed to the Igbo as the original settlers in Ile-Ife and whom Oduduwa met, other than the present contest between the Ife and the Ugbo sections in Yoruba land. Igwe Achebe, according to the report, tasked the academia in the University of Nigeria to conduct further research that would either authenticate or dismiss the new study on Igbo origin and settlement.

The event was chaired by one-time governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeke Ezeife, who that it is either Nigeria is restructured into six geopolitical zones or it goes into referendum to decide if the country will remain as one country or disintegrate.

Other persons who spoke at the conference included the former Governor of Imo state, Chief Ikedi Ohakim; former Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mrs. Viola Onwuleri; veteran actor, Pete Edochie, among others.
Director of Institute of African Studies, Prof. Emeka Nwabueze, said the conference was a celebration to honour the sage, Chinua Achebe. He said the institute decided to host the conference since Achebe was a member of the university community.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 08, 2018
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by thesicilian: 2:34pm On Mar 08, 2018
Trouble maker

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 08, 2018
thesicilian:
Trouble maker
What do u mean?
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2018
Did Obi of Onitsha mean it? really?grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Ekiseme(m): 2:39pm On Mar 08, 2018
Ok,

I hope e-warriors won't turn this thread into wrestlemania.
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Angelparadise: 3:12pm On Mar 08, 2018
I said it ! there must be a lot to reveal that will set many things write in history that why I'll minded group decide to ban history. please will those experts in History confirm this revolution and set facts right.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by ColdSun: 3:14pm On Mar 08, 2018
Ehen! Them wan start o.
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Wealthandjobs: 4:17pm On Mar 08, 2018
I think there's something very special about Ile Ife that makes every tribe to be dragging it With the Yoruba.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by nuggarito: 12:54am On Mar 09, 2018
Who ask you? my Yoruba folks will not like this.
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 09, 2018
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 09, 2018
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by bigfrancis21: 9:04pm On Mar 09, 2018
Honestly, I am not surprised by this. I have read something like this before a few years back where it said that the entire land space of the Igbo-speaking people was originally much larger than it's modern-day boundaries. However, as the Yorubas were pushed southwards from their original northern area of habitation, the 'Igbo' people they met were pushed further eastwards. I remember a previous active user on NL mentioning that a yoruba elder had mentioned this to her and that the 'Igbo dialect' originally spoken around 'Ile-Ife' was similar to what Onitsha or Anioma people speak.

Also another thing being ignored is the reason the Olukwumis, while running away from their origins in Ondo state, chose to run eastwards to settle (in Delta Igboland) rather than westwards where fellow Yorubas settled.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by macof(m): 2:39am On Mar 10, 2018
bigfrancis21:
Honestly, I am not surprised by this. I have read something like this before a few years back where it said that the entire land space of the Igbo-speaking people was originally much larger than it's modern-day boundaries. However, as the Yorubas were pushed southwards from their original northern area of habitation, the 'Igbo' people they met were pushed further eastwards. I remember a previous active user on NL mentioning that a yoruba elder had mentioned this to her and that the 'Igbo dialect' originally spoken around 'Ile-Ife' was similar to what Onitsha or Anioma people speak.

Also another thing being ignored is the reason the Olukwumis, while running away from their origins in Ondo state, chose to run eastwards to settle (in Delta Igboland) rather than westwards where fellow Yorubas settled.

Wherever you read this is a faulty source. The "igbo" in the story refers to Ugbo in Ilaje. Every sane person knows this

Igbos should not drag themselves into the what doesnt concern them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by SicilianMafia: 8:35am On Mar 10, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Makes much sense!!
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by SicilianMafia: 8:36am On Mar 10, 2018
So Yoruba ppl are even tenant in the backward ile ife cheesy grin grin
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Ojiofor: 11:44pm On Mar 21, 2018
Whenever Igbo intellectuals gather nobody discuss Eri/Gad/Jewish nonsense in regards to Igbo history or origin.
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by FisifunKododada: 2:37am On Mar 26, 2018
This is quite enlightening: I never knew the Obi of Onitsha is a glue sniffer. Stay away from drugs they won't listen. See ya life in the public space.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Follygunners: 7:49am On Mar 26, 2018
These Igbo nuisance(s) have proven time and again how shameless they really are. First, they claimed to be jew, the Jews blatantly denied such a tribe and group of arrogant beings could have been related to them in any way. Sad.. I get it. undecided

Now, they're claiming to be the first settlers of Ile-Ife, knowing that's the cradle of Yoruba pple. Really? angry These FOOLS are begining to beat the drums of what seem like 1966. cry

Now, they'll start looking for another competent and brave Yoruba soldier to blame for their pple demise they way they blamed OBJ and several other gallant Yoruba soldiers back in those days.

I swear these pple are just trouble makers of the highest order. They lack common identity, values and culture. They've failed their current generations having lost or failed to not kept accurate/proper records of their history and their ancestral lineage and are trying so hard to attach themselves to every successful tribe/ethnicity. grin

It's really sad and disappointing as I can understand their predicaments to an extent. Sad indeed. I hope they eventually find their lost lineage..if they ever have any.. grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Yoruba4Life: 8:17am On Mar 26, 2018
OMG !!! Aye awon Igbo yi konida lai lai ati lai lai. Hear these animals. You never learn ur lesson from history so? Unitl we main and commit genocide on you all, abi?

If we decide to deport all ur developers pple now, dem go begin talk say we dey tribalistic. undecided

No be say we too gabdun you like dat anyway. I no like any of dem dem at all. angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Yoruba4Life: 8:35am On Mar 26, 2018
Ojiofor:
Whenever Igbo intellectuals gather nobody discuss Eri/Gad/Jewish nonsense in regards to Igbo history or origin.

Good to know you're being real but, wetin be dis nonsense from ur guy, abeg? angry angry. Can't you guys be self-dependent and sustainable?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by Ojiofor: 9:14am On Mar 26, 2018
Yoruba4Life:

Good to know you're being real but, wetin be dis nonsense from ur guy, abeg? angry angry. Can't you guys be self-dependent and sustainable?

This is moronic to say the least @bolded.
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by FisifunKododada: 2:06am On Mar 27, 2018
bigfrancis21:
[s]Honestly, I am not surprised by this. I have read something like this before a few years back where it said that the entire land space of the Igbo-speaking people was originally much larger than it's modern-day boundaries. However, as the Yorubas were pushed southwards from their original northern area of habitation, the 'Igbo' people they met were pushed further eastwards. I remember a previous active user on NL mentioning that a yoruba elder had mentioned this to her and that the 'Igbo dialect' originally spoken around 'Ile-Ife' was similar to what Onitsha or Anioma people speak.

Also another thing being ignored is the reason the Olukwumis, while running away from their origins in Ondo state, chose to run eastwards to settle (in Delta Igboland) rather than westwards where fellow Yorubas settled[/s].

Aba made nonsense. SmallFrancesca - you are still deep in this Igbo propaganda mission of NL. You no dey shame?
Re: Igbo Were The First Settlers In Ile-ife: Obi Of Onitsha by bigfrancis21: 3:26am On Mar 27, 2018
LOL. Someone finally made it back from their compulsory hiatus to yaba left. cheesy

Welcome back o. grin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Omo Yoruba Nimi Tokatokan / Why Do Some Africans Have Yellow Eyes? / History Of Igala People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.