Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,358 members, 7,780,972 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:40 AM

Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar (5318 Views)

Mohammed Atiku Abubakar Shares His Coronavirus Experience / Breaking: “you Are Going Beyond Your Boundary”- Aisha Buhari Attacks Garba Shehu / Onoja's Death: Nigeria Custom Officers Going Beyond Their Mecuarntance - Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by ArewaWatch: 3:22pm On Mar 08, 2018
[img]https://4.bp..com/-ATeSmoPRVvI/WqE_Vg5bGvI/AAAAAAAABcc/YvPgZuAtIowiiUdCwFj0ADZdfrFUQDGEACLcBGAs/s1600/atiku.jpg[/img]

On this special day, I join everyone around the world to celebrate women. In a place like Nigeria, the efforts of women are usually most acknowledged in the household—and, indeed, we must never take their efforts on the home front for granted. However, the International Women’s Day offers us a great opportunity to go beyond the home front and celebrate women everywhere: in the household, at the workplace, or in the field.

I celebrate women like Dr. Ola Orekunrin, a medical doctor, helicopter pilot and healthcare entrepreneur, who founded Flying Doctors Nigeria, West Africa’s first Air Ambulance Service that is breaking new grounds in bringing trauma care to the remotest parts of Nigeria and the sub-region.

I celebrate Nnenna Elendu-Ukeje, who contested as a member of the House of Representatives when she was just 35 and with a new baby. Today, she is one of the longest-serving legislators. I celebrate the all-female team of athletes who represented Nigeria in the just-concluded Winter Olympics in South Korea, making history and breaking barriers.

I celebrate women like renowned artist Nike Davies-Okundaye, founder of the popular Nike Art gallery in Lagos; Rabia Salihu Sa’id, a physicist, professor of atmospheric and space-weather physics, and a researcher at the Bayero University, Kano; Mrs. Itoro Eze-Anaba, anti-rape activist and founder of Mirabel Centre, Nigeria’s first sexual assault referral centre.

Of course, it would be impossible for me to mention all the women shining as stars in the spheres of business, government, arts and science. Space will also not permit me to include in this short piece, women making a mark in other spheres of influence beyond these. This is just a taster, to remind us Nigerians what is possible when women have opportunity and support.
But the question is always asked, why do we celebrate Women’s Day?

For over 70 years, since the late 19th century, almost every established secondary school was exclusively for boys, with the exception of the Methodist Girls High School, Lagos. Schools like CMS Grammar School, Hope Waddell Calabar, Bayero College, Ibadan Government School and King’s College. For decades, the only opportunities for education and advancement were only available to men, meaning women had next to zero opportunity.

While it seems opportunities are available for everyone in present-day Nigeria to aspire in career, business, and politics, the fact that men had over half a century of advantage still shuts women out, because the meetings where deals are sealed in business and politics are to a great extent skewed disproportionately to the disadvantage of women.

This is why we must make it a point of ensuring women get the opportunity to catch up. For as long as women don’t catch up, nearly 40% of our productive population will not be able to make a significant input in the economy.

Up till this day, women are the biggest sufferers when war strikes. The North East is an example. When men go to war, its women who suffer the brunt. Women also bear the worst effects of negative cultural practices, whether it is early/forced marriages, or being shut out of an inheritance.

My first daughter, Fatima, is a doctor. My wife and I stood against pressure from family and friends to insist she must finish her degree – today, she is a celebrated doctor and humanitarian, providing help to families at the grassroots around Adamawa and the North East. If we all support our daughters, wives and sisters, who knows what great accomplishments could come out of it?

Despite the immense hurdles women face from culture and prejudice, look at what they have achieved. Imagine if we allowed all our women to flourish and to thrive, without restricting their dreams and opportunities with man-made shackles. Imagine how much more women will accomplish for Nigeria and for each and every one of us.

Nigerian women have been longtime achievers. There are many established names that have beaten the threshold in areas women were once relegated to the back seat. But the real heroes are those unsung mothers, sisters and daughters who go the extra-mile in dignity to make things work in the household. Theirs are examples that there are no barriers to how high any woman can go with determination.

On this women’s day, I ask all men, fathers, religious and political leaders to join together and act as humans to improve the lives of women.

Source: http://www.arewawatch.com/2018/03/womens-day-going-beyond-norm-to.html

7 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by tomakint: 3:34pm On Mar 08, 2018
Sounds Presidential right there. President Atiku, I think it sounds so good and smooth.

11 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 08, 2018
Almost there grin
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Cuteamigo1(m): 5:44pm On Mar 08, 2018
campaign has started

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Pinkyposh(f): 5:45pm On Mar 08, 2018
smiley smiley
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by soberdrunk(m): 5:46pm On Mar 08, 2018
Yeah!! We all heard the rumours of how you like to "celebrate" women from the back angry

2 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 08, 2018
Why is Atiku trying to appear porch and progressive?

Buhari did worse,he even drank tea with 30 naira milk.

What is the difference between six and half a dozen?

What is the difference between APC and PDP?

What is the difference between Atiku and Buhari?

THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN MUST SET FORTH AT DAWN

4 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by babasolo(m): 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Erection tinzzz, I meant election ooo

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by naija1stpikin: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
This man is intelligent and brilliant. But I have problems with his corruption history

That said, I think he'll make a far better President than the clueless dead wood presently occupying the seat in Aso Rock. Anybody but the goro chewing daftpunk called booharee

5 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Emilokoiyawon: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Atiku is getting boring - you are only doing all this because of your presidential plans. Please stop pretending

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by Ratello: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
This is how to roll as President unfortunately Buhari is misbehaving
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by obowunmi(m): 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Kick Boko Horam Buhari back to Daura

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by neslonchemicals: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Nice
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by xmanco42: 5:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
women day
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by SoftP(m): 5:52pm On Mar 08, 2018
Since when?
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by AnodaIT(m): 5:54pm On Mar 08, 2018
Our next president

2 Likes

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by dynicks(m): 5:55pm On Mar 08, 2018
corruption be staring at atiku like "MY MAN!! MY MANNEST MANNY"

u know how we do it!

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by uzchos: 5:55pm On Mar 08, 2018
Wonderful remarks.

1 Like

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by lakesider(m): 5:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
Very good , some Nigerians will hail him .
Politicians are business men in Nigeria , they only invest when election is new and take huge profit after wining .
Even when atiku was VP , he did nt rember women . na naw when election dey come em know women.nawa for nigeri politician and the docile people that get moved by their actions especially the online rats for APC and PDP
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by lordsharks(m): 5:57pm On Mar 08, 2018
All na politics
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by free2ryhme: 5:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
ArewaWatch:
[img]https://4.bp..com/-ATeSmoPRVvI/WqE_Vg5bGvI/AAAAAAAABcc/YvPgZuAtIowiiUdCwFj0ADZdfrFUQDGEACLcBGAs/s1600/atiku.jpg[/img]

On this special day, I join everyone around the world to celebrate women. In a place like Nigeria, the efforts of women are usually most acknowledged in the household—and, indeed, we must never take their efforts on the home front for granted. However, the International Women’s Day offers us a great opportunity to go beyond the home front and celebrate women everywhere: in the household, at the workplace, or in the field.

I celebrate women like Dr. Ola Orekunrin, a medical doctor, helicopter pilot and healthcare entrepreneur, who founded Flying Doctors Nigeria, West Africa’s first Air Ambulance Service that is breaking new grounds in bringing trauma care to the remotest parts of Nigeria and the sub-region.

I celebrate Nnenna Elendu-Ukeje, who contested as a member of the House of Representatives when she was just 35 and with a new baby. Today, she is one of the longest-serving legislators. I celebrate the all-female team of athletes who represented Nigeria in the just-concluded Winter Olympics in South Korea, making history and breaking barriers.

I celebrate women like renowned artist Nike Davies-Okundaye, founder of the popular Nike Art gallery in Lagos; Rabia Salihu Sa’id, a physicist, professor of atmospheric and space-weather physics, and a researcher at the Bayero University, Kano; Mrs. Itoro Eze-Anaba, anti-rape activist and founder of Mirabel Centre, Nigeria’s first sexual assault referral centre.

Of course, it would be impossible for me to mention all the women shining as stars in the spheres of business, government, arts and science. Space will also not permit me to include in this short piece, women making a mark in other spheres of influence beyond these. This is just a taster, to remind us Nigerians what is possible when women have opportunity and support.
But the question is always asked, why do we celebrate Women’s Day?

For over 70 years, since the late 19th century, almost every established secondary school was exclusively for boys, with the exception of the Methodist Girls High School, Lagos. Schools like CMS Grammar School, Hope Waddell Calabar, Bayero College, Ibadan Government School and King’s College. For decades, the only opportunities for education and advancement were only available to men, meaning women had next to zero opportunity.

While it seems opportunities are available for everyone in present-day Nigeria to aspire in career, business, and politics, the fact that men had over half a century of advantage still shuts women out, because the meetings where deals are sealed in business and politics are to a great extent skewed disproportionately to the disadvantage of women.

This is why we must make it a point of ensuring women get the opportunity to catch up. For as long as women don’t catch up, nearly 40% of our productive population will not be able to make a significant input in the economy.

Up till this day, women are the biggest sufferers when war strikes. The North East is an example. When men go to war, its women who suffer the brunt. Women also bear the worst effects of negative cultural practices, whether it is early/forced marriages, or being shut out of an inheritance.

My first daughter, Fatima, is a doctor. My wife and I stood against pressure from family and friends to insist she must finish her degree – today, she is a celebrated doctor and humanitarian, providing help to families at the grassroots around Adamawa and the North East. If we all support our daughters, wives and sisters, who knows what great accomplishments could come out of it?

Despite the immense hurdles women face from culture and prejudice, look at what they have achieved. Imagine if we allowed all our women to flourish and to thrive, without restricting their dreams and opportunities with man-made shackles. Imagine how much more women will accomplish for Nigeria and for each and every one of us.

Nigerian women have been longtime achievers. There are many established names that have beaten the threshold in areas women were once relegated to the back seat. But the real heroes are those unsung mothers, sisters and daughters who go the extra-mile in dignity to make things work in the household. Theirs are examples that there are no barriers to how high any woman can go with determination.

On this women’s day, I ask all men, fathers, religious and political leaders to join together and act as humans to improve the lives of women.

Source: http://www.arewawatch.com/2018/03/womens-day-going-beyond-norm-to.html

Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by yemisat: 5:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
That has been a well sold lie about Atiku. Let them publish his financial atrocities and then arraign him!
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by ChiefSweetus: 5:59pm On Mar 08, 2018
Abeg make we pity dis guy elect am. E don dey try since 1992 sad
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by basic23111: 6:00pm On Mar 08, 2018
Atiku is a serial spender, he will spend money and lose again bcz money can't buy our votes
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by AmarJ(f): 6:01pm On Mar 08, 2018
Good one. We are proud of women.
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by 4gunners(m): 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2018
The media consultant of Atiku are really doing a great job. They're trying to package the man for Nigeria come 2019. :Nigeriandonwiseup
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by chuksjuve(m): 6:58pm On Mar 08, 2018
Where Atiku got his PR from is still a wonder to me..

These guys are really packaging this man beyond the usual milo and tea nonsense ..

Atiku is talking, interacting and connecting..

I'm not falling for this cheap stunt of his nut dude seems prepared and will do better than buhari ..

Good one Atiku ..

Even if not for anything , you have shown what it takes to assemble and identify good minds...
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by salegella: 7:40pm On Mar 08, 2018
President of Ghanian Jews in the absence late cownu
Re: Women’s Day : Going Beyond The Norm To #pressforprogress - Atiku Abubakar by BlueLORD: 6:11am On Mar 09, 2018
Atiku has had a good PR lately sha. Am beginning to like him a bit but if only i can be certain that atiku of words is equal to the atiku of action. I dont trust him yet!

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Kogi Guber. APC Deputy Governorship Candidate Onoja Loses Polling Unit / Breaking: Gov El-rufai Want To Return To PDP To Run For President In 2023 Man Al / Lagos Danfo Buses Still Loading 100% Despite Sanwo Olu Orders (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.