Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O (851 Views)

Why People Fear Juju More Than Holy Bible Or Holy Water. / Pastor Paul Enenche To Comedians: Don't Tell Lies To Make People Laugh / Intuition Or Holy Spirit?A Little Child Said To Me:"God Told Me No To Be Afraid" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by paxonel(m): 8:07pm On Mar 08, 2018
Having read Charles Darwin's origin of species, it dawn to me that Darwin's ideas had nothing to with creationism. Afterall, the scriptures indicates that a thousand years is like one day before God, and one day is like a thousand years. Meaning, seven day creation idea of the bible could be any duration (not necessarily seven days).
This to my opinion do not negate science,
It do not negate Evolution or any Charles Darwin's principle.

So, what are the atheists source of confidence?
I want to know? grin
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by IME1: 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2018
Good question
Make i spread mat

1 Like

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 08, 2018
since our allegiance is only tied to reason and prove ,then one does not need a reference book in order to decipher common sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by mmsen: 4:07am On Mar 09, 2018
Atheism is a lack of belief in the millions of deities that people have created.

There is no one text as in xtianity or Islam, systems designed with lazy, simple people in mind.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by paxonel(m): 11:05am On Mar 09, 2018
I think many atheists broke away from organized religions, took the moral codes of these religions for themselves but do not have a complete guide that help them live successfully on the moral codes they adopted.
Hence, they need documentation or some kinda reference or holy book to fall back at, when the need arises or they have nothing to pass to their generations in order to main their beliefs of atheism in their offspring.

So, many children of the atheists are consciously or unconsciously returning to theism not minding what their parents believe
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by winner01(m): 5:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
33bandit:
since our allegiance is only tied to reason and prove ,then one does not need a reference book in order to decipher common sense
Is there any proof that your allegiance is tied to reason. I see nothing like reason in the definition of atheism neither have I noticed any in the worldview itself. The mere fact that you chorus the words reason and science does not make any of these words have any thing to do with atheism.
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by winner01(m): 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2018
paxonel:
I think many atheists broke away from organized religions, took the moral codes of these religions for themselves but do not have a complete guide that help them live successfully on the moral codes they adopted.
Hence, they need documentation or some kinda reference or holy book to fall back at, when the need arises or they have nothing to pass to their generations in order to main their beliefs of atheism in their offsprings.

So, many children of the atheists are consciously or unconsciously returning to theism not minding what their parents believes
Your last sentence is correct and backed by some statistical data I once saw online.

1 Like

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Evangkatsoulis: 6:56pm On Mar 09, 2018
Ignorance on display.
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 10, 2018
winner01:
Is there any proof that your allegiance is tied to reason. I see nothing like reason in the definition of atheism neither have I noticed any in the worldview itself. The mere fact that you chorus the words reason and science does not make any of these words have any thing to do with atheism.
I doubt if I made mention of science ,and i wasn't trynna define it m typing what it was made of ,from how you view it isnt necessary suppose to be how I view it .,besides since u knew so much about it why u asking in the first place ,to prove your ignominy??
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Godssword1(m): 2:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
Mmmh
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Godssword1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 10, 2018
Aitheists are confused in life
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by winner01(m): 4:26pm On Mar 10, 2018
33bandit:

I doubt if I made mention of science ,and i wasn't trynna define it m typing what it was made of ,from how you view it isnt necessary suppose to be how I view it .,besides since u knew so much about it why u asking in the first place ,to prove your ignominy??
lol, no need to get worked up grin. 100% of atheism has nothing to do with reason or science. Atheism is simply a disbelief, lack of belief or whatever. Enjoy...

1 Like

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Nobody: 7:20pm On Mar 10, 2018
winner01:
lol, no need to get worked up grin. 100% of atheism has nothing to do with reason or science. Atheism is simply a disbelief, lack of belief or whatever. Enjoy...
according to you .bye
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 10, 2018
winner01:

you have proven your level of ignorance anyway .bye
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
winner01:
Everyone's allegiance to whatever they believe in, on any issue, is by reason. People choose what they believe is right and true because that's the conclusion their current level of reasoning brought them to.

Now religion, on the other hand is a whole different ball game. For some its just pure indoctrination + blind faith. For others its sprinkles of reason + faith. The faith aspect of religion will always make sure its not 100% logical. Why? Because as cutemadridsta said above, there's the "trust me" factor. There is no reason to believe that a book compiled by men over hundreds of years was divinely inspired by a supernatural deity we cannot objectively see and hear. (Objective, because some of you claim to see that being. Or hear its voice in their heads.) Religion seems to make sense up to a certain point, and when it doesn't anymore, you just "believe" that its right because it has to be from some god. Or, try to make excuses for why that gap is there.

However, some other non religious forms of theism, or atheism, remove the faith factor, and replace it by simply saying "I do not know". I believe that is what the person you quoted meant. There's no "holy book" that fills the missing gaps. We work from the bottom up and attempt to figure things out by ourselves- by reason. Religion works from the top down- claims to already have the ultimate answer, then tries to use reason to justify it, but once a discontinuity is noticed, it just fills that gap with faith.

3 Likes

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by CuteMadridista: 11:44pm On Mar 10, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Everyone's allegiance to whatever they believe in, on any issue, is by reason. People choose what they believe is right and true because that's the conclusion their current level of reasoning brought them to.

Now religion, on the other hand is a whole different ball game. For some its just pure indoctrination + blind faith. For others its sprinkles of reason + faith. The faith aspect of religion will always make sure its not 100% logical. Why? Because as cutemadridsta said above, there's the "trust me" factor. There is no reason to believe that a book compiled by men over hundreds of years was divinely inspired by a supernatural deity we cannot objectively see and hear. (Objective, because some of you claim to see that being. Or hear its voice in their heads.) Religion seems to make sense up to a certain point, and when it doesn't anymore, you just "believe" that its right because it has to be from some god. Or, try to make excuses for why that gap is there.

However, some other non religious forms of theism, or atheism, remove the faith factor, and replace it by simply saying "I do not know". I believe that is what the person you quoted meant. There's no "holy book" that fills the missing gaps. We work from the bottom up and attempt to figure things out by ourselves- by reason. Religion works from the top down- claims to already have the ultimate answer, then tries to use reason to justify it, but once a discontinuity is noticed, it just fills that gap with faith.

Nice! I should point out the post you're referring to wasn't made on this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/4390926/all-right-all-wrong-worship#65717663 this is the link to the post for those interested. it'll help them understand this post of yours better
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by winner01(m): 11:29am On Mar 11, 2018
AnonyNymous:

Bullsh*t!!!
I never made mention of religion. Why do you want to sell your idea of religion to me at the slightest opportunity, are you a preacher undecided

My point: 100% of atheism has nothing to do with science or religion.
Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by Niflheim(m): 4:23pm On Mar 17, 2018
@paxonel,

You want to know my source of confidence?

The more I see buffoonery in church, and mega-stupidity.....................................the more my confidence increases!!!

Re: Does Atheism Have Book Of Reference Or Holy Book? Don't Tell Me It's Science O by paxonel(m): 7:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
Niflheim:
@paxonel,

You want to know my source of confidence?

The more I see buffoonery in church, and mega-stupidity.....................................the more my confidence increases!!!
grin grin grin grin
Buffoonery and mega stupidity are also found everywhere, not only in churches.
Now check out this ,will you now say this is enough reason to confidently say you are not a Nigerian?

(1) (Reply)

Why Stephen Hawking Got It Wrong... / These People Are Killing My Faith & My Belief Am Backsliding. / Photo Of Jesus Looking Stranded After Been Deported From Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.