Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss (27742 Views)

Manager Sack Over ‘cruel’ Response To Employee With Son On Life Support / Meet The Lady Who Makes Furniture With Used Tyres Gotten From Dumpsites. / Meet The Lady Who Makes Furniture With Used Tyres Gotten From Dumpsites. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by collinsVP: 6:59pm On Mar 09, 2018
Nickigold:
I have a similar experience... but my boss was a hardened womanizer... in my office dere is a room which he uses because he make use of is 3bedroom flat as a office... but he as another apartment he stays...I start working on d 9th of January last year...as an account clerk...I CNT count how many times his younger brother show me his dick in my office wanting me to have sex with him telling me to meet him at an hotel..sometimes wen am fed up or I can't take it anymore I will go outside for a while...meanwhile my boss knew abt it too...but all he does is to bring different women to his office..1 day I mistakenly badge in and catch him having sex with. lady...that month was February... I didn't collect my salary...march too ended hoping to collect 2 months salary...no....I wasn't paid and I was paying other staff but my salary was not included...he owes me 3month salary... he travels abroad for a month without paying me...by April 3...he connive with his brother to sacked me because it was his brother that gave me d sack letter.. it was around may after much begging and calls he pay me d salary for 1month den later 1 month den he later told me not to disturb him again that he won't pay me d remaining salary...but with God on my side d company is not as active as before again....since den av been looking for a job...

Cruel world

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by abobim: 7:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
For you to pay such amount that means you must be earning up to at least 85k per month.. I.e if your boss is not paying pension for you.. Even that 85k you wont be paying 5k as tax per month, it should be 4k plus...

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Tunagee(m): 7:04pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
Hello Guys
The story is not too Long but I will just want to know you opinion and advice, if possibly HELP OF ANOTHER JOB, please no insult.......

Am a graduate of Office Technology & Management with 4 years experience on Secretary, Front Desk, & Customer Service.... staying at Ajah Lagos

Ending of January I got a job through nairaland, the office is at Ajah, I was looking forward to work at ajah because I have an elderly woman am looking after, I don't want to work very far...
I was called for interview as a Secretary, on getting to the office, it was not what I was having in mind, the office is actually in a plaza, very small one at that, so i went in & was interviewed and salary was discussed, it was a very small amount for a graduate, but it's better than staying at home and I have huge responsibility, so I accepted the offer and to start working February.o

Oe week I discovered I was the only employee, anyone he interviewed on phone after coming to see the office they ran away because of the office Condition.. In the office No system to work with, only one lap top used by the boss alone, only one standing fan facing him alone, he promised to get my system,and new standing fan the day he was interviewing me, but he didn't, I doo come to work with a hand fan, and goes home smelling sweat, buying sure & rolling like mad..

I have never done anything relating to what I was employed for, what I do is going errands for him, he sends me out to many places, to go meet friends, collect receipts and all that are very far place, I endured through till it's time to pay me, he started posting me, today tomorrow, this evening, tomorrow morning, this afternoon, EVEN when I told home I need to go for my late father burial arrangements on Sunday cos I work Saturday, he said he would send my salary and he didn't...

Then one Sunday he called me to come to office to come collect my salary, I was happy at least am getting paid for my sweat.... getting to the office, he handed over the money to me I counted it, and I discovered the money was short of 5k, I asked he said the 5 thousand was for TAX.......I was speechless at first,. because he didn't tell me anything as such and how is 5k for TAX only, This is the money after paying all my debt am left with nothing.............

Very heartless person. Most of dem usually ask for sex before they help. Useless person.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Acidosis(m): 7:06pm On Mar 09, 2018
Nickigold:
I have a similar experience... but my boss was a hardened womanizer... in my office dere is a room which he uses because he make use of is 3bedroom flat as a office... but he as another apartment he stays...I start working on d 9th of January last year...as an account clerk...I CNT count how many times his younger brother show me his dick in my office wanting me to have sex with him telling me to meet him at an hotel..sometimes wen am fed up or I can't take it anymore I will go outside for a while...meanwhile my boss knew abt it too...but all he does is to bring different women to his office..1 day I mistakenly badge in and catch him having sex with. lady...that month was February... I didn't collect my salary...march too ended hoping to collect 2 months salary...no....I wasn't paid and I was paying other staff but my salary was not included...he owes me 3month salary... he travels abroad for a month without paying me...by April 3...he connive with his brother to sacked me because it was his brother that gave me d sack letter.. it was around may after much begging and calls he pay me d salary for 1month den later 1 month den he later told me not to disturb him again that he won't pay me d remaining salary...but with God on my side d company is not as active as before again....since den av been looking for a job...

Bad experience here. A lot of graduates are going through similar, even more terrifying, situation. May God see you through...

Where are you based btw?

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:10pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

I dont know about you but what i have on my employment letter (and so many other people i know) is Gross Emolument, i have never seen Net pay on Employment contract before, it will typically read that the pay is subject to all applicable taxes.
Your Theory works for government employees. Buy let's assume it is true, let me enlighten you on how PAYE is calculated.

N200000 and 20% of her total annual salary is deducted from the her total annual salary to give what is called consolidated taxable income.

It is from there that 7% of the CTI is taken for the first N300000 of the CTI.

since her pay is low, if we remove the Consolidated Relief Allowance given by government which is N200k + 20% of her annual income. Then nothing remains.

Which in this case, her PAYE is 1% of her annual income.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by ipobarecriminals: 7:11pm On Mar 09, 2018
iamTeBz:
SmartKraft?? Well, he's smart indeed. Sometimes you would need to check the name of the company very well before accepting their offers.

CEO, SmartKraft would be a smart and dubious bloke actually.
That is not smart but THIEF,FRAUD,SCAM.Thank God,she collected sumthing sha
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

Your Theory works for government employees. Buy let's assume it is true, let me enlighten you on how PAYE is calculated.

N200000 and 20% of her total annual salary is deducted from the her total annual salary to give what is called consolidated taxable income.

since her pay is low, if we remove the Consolidated Relief Allowance given by government which is N200k + 20% of her annual income. Then nothing remains.

Oga I can lecture you on the personal income tax act as a whole sef.

My problem with you guys is that you don't even know her Gross Pay and you are commenting based on assumptions.

What theory works for govt only? How do you guys jump into conclusion

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by ipobarecriminals: 7:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:
How can you say 5k is too much, why not ask what her Gross Pay is first
only if u live around lekki/Ajah,u'll understand beta.Sum of those boss are inhuman/ wicked.Dey pay their house help peanut.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by SmallSimba: 7:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

Since when did people start calculating tax on "High" and "Low"? Is that how you calculate tax for your clients? Tax is calculated on specif amounts: 150,000, 258,369 and so on. Not lows and highs

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
SmallSimba:

Since when did people start calculating tax on "High" and "Low"? Is that how you calculate tax for your clients? Tax is calculated on specif amounts: 150,000, 258,369 and so on. Not lows and highs
We are talking about PAYE, please read about it before you comment
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by aspirebig: 7:24pm On Mar 09, 2018
Op...you should have told us how much you were paid ...that N5k was deducted from as tax ..

The story will more sense that way .
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:25pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Oga I can lecture you on the personal income tax act as a whole sef.

My problem with you guys is that you don't even know her Gross Pay and you are commenting based on assumptions.

What theory works for govt only? How do you guys jump into conclusion
If her tax PAYE is 5k, it means that her annual income is N500000.

This implies that when we remove N200000 + 20% of N500000 =N300000. Then the balance is N200000 and you can't subject it to normal PAYE rate.

3 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:25pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

We are talking about PAYE, please read about it before you comment

You said since her salary is low.. bla bla.. You dont know her salary!! paye is calculated on specific amounts like he has rightly said, not high and lows which is very subjective

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:27pm On Mar 09, 2018
SmallSimba:

If N200000 + 20% of her annual gross income is less than N300k, then her PAYE is 1% of her annual gross income. Then divide it by 12, I am sure that it won't reach N5 for the month

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by alfredfrddy(m): 7:28pm On Mar 09, 2018
I'm so sorry for the disappointment. But come to think of it, he must have deducted your tithe, offering and first fruit as well.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:29pm On Mar 09, 2018
YOU DID NOT SAY THE EXACT AMOUNT YOU WERE PAID..IF ITS MUCH AND TAKING THE 5K FROM IT WILL NOT AFFECT YOU THEN NO WAHALA BUT FROM WHAT I CAN SEE, THE MAN IS JUST USING U.....NEXT TIME ASK FOR THE DETAIL OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT STATUS, SOMETHING LIKE EMPLOYMENT LETTER TO KNOW YOUR STAND...THAT WILL HELP IN FUTURE COS AS AM SEEING IT HE WILL OWE YOU SEVERAL MONTHS AND IT WILL NOT END WELL WITH YOU GUYS..BE BOLD TO ASK FOR YOU APPOINTMENT LETTER N TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT..
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:29pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

If her tax PAYE is 5k, it means that her annual income is N500000.

This implies that when we remove N200000 + 20% of N500000 =N300000. Then the balance is N200000 and you can't subject it to normal PAYE rate.

You can't work from the Paye to the gross because we don't know the allowable deductions available to her, you can only work from the paye to gross if you know the effective tax rate already.

By the way, for a 500k gross, her CRA is 100k + 200k meaning there's a chargeable income of 200k.

Again no assumptions, we need to know her gross first, you guys cannot be good consultants with the way you make wild assumptions.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:30pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You said since her salary is low.. bla bla.. You dont know her salary!! paye is calculated on specific amounts like he has rightly said, not high and lows which is very subjective
I thought you said you know about PAYE, I don't know you are just ignorant of it. Now read up the calculation of PAYE.

If N200,000 + 20% of her annual income is less than N300k, it is considered as low pay, hence, you take 1% of her annual gross income as her annual PAYE.

But if the remainder as calculated above is above 300k

Then her PAYE is 7% of the first 300k,
11% of the next 300k.

Not everyone you meet on nairaland is jobless

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:33pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You can't work for the Paye to the gross because we don't know the allowable deductions available to her, you can only work from the paye to gross if you know the effective tax rate already.

By the way, for a 500k gross, her CRA is 100k + 200k meaning there's a chargeable income of 200k.

Again no assumptions, we need to know her gross first, you guys cannot be good consultants with the way you make wild assumptions.
I thought you said you know about the PIT, now do you know the Personal income tax Act? it's governed by law not subjective.

Since her employer knows about tax, then he should do well to calculate it well too.

From your calculations, Her taxable income is less than N300k and as such you can't subject it to the rate.

The act says that in such case, the PAYE is 1% of her gross annual income. Then for the month is dividing it by 12
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by GREATESTPIANIST: 7:35pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
Hello Guys
The story is not too Long but I will just want to know you opinion and advice, if possibly HELP OF ANOTHER JOB, please no insult.......

Am a graduate of Office Technology & Management with 4 years experience on Secretary, Front Desk, & Customer Service.... staying at Ajah Lagos

Ending of January I got a job through nairaland, the office is at Ajah, I was looking forward to work at ajah because I have an elderly woman am looking after, I don't want to work very far...
I was called for interview as a Secretary, on getting to the office, it was not what I was having in mind, the office is actually in a plaza, very small one at that, so i went in & was interviewed and salary was discussed, it was a very small amount for a graduate, but it's better than staying at home and I have huge responsibility, so I accepted the offer and to start working February.o

Oe week I discovered I was the only employee, anyone he interviewed on phone after coming to see the office they ran away because of the office Condition.. In the office No system to work with, only one lap top used by the boss alone, only one standing fan facing him alone, he promised to get my system,and new standing fan the day he was interviewing me, but he didn't, I doo come to work with a hand fan, and goes home smelling sweat, buying sure & rolling like mad..

I have never done anything relating to what I was employed for, what I do is going errands for him, he sends me out to many places, to go meet friends, collect receipts and all that are very far place, I endured through till it's time to pay me, he started posting me, today tomorrow, this evening, tomorrow morning, this afternoon, EVEN when I told home I need to go for my late father burial arrangements on Sunday cos I work Saturday, he said he would send my salary and he didn't...

Then one Sunday he called me to come to office to come collect my salary, I was happy at least am getting paid for my sweat.... getting to the office, he handed over the money to me I counted it, and I discovered the money was short of 5k, I asked he said the 5 thousand was for TAX.......I was speechless at first,. because he didn't tell me anything as such and how is 5k for TAX only, This is the money after paying all my debt am left with nothing.............

Oh love, i want to encourage u, dnt give up, God will open better doors!!! Leave that job honey!!! you will excel in life!!!

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:37pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

I thought you said you know about PAYE, I don't know you are just ignorant of it. Now read up the calculation of PAYE.

If N200,000 + 20% of her annual income is less than N300k, it is considered as low pay, hence, you take 1% of her annual gross income as her annual PAYE.

But if the remainder as calculated above is above 300k

Then her PAYE is 7% of the first 300k,
11% of the next 300k.

Not everyone you meet on nairaland is jobless

You seem not to be understanding the point. You have been making hypothetical figures and assuming, you need to know what her gross is before you can calculate!! Again you will make a bad consultant, you are already assuming paye figures because you think her salary is low (by your wild assumption). Do we tax based on high and low? Or the gross Emolument? C'mom dude

4 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by BecaciaBarbie(f): 7:40pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You are missing it!! Are you really a tax consultant? The only typical allowable deduction she is likely to have is Employee pension at 8%, it is unlikely that she has made contributions to NHF, Life assurance premium.. etc, so yes, her salary can be 5k without her employer stealing from her.. Even if her gross is 70k, her PAYE can be around 5k. The fact that some companies of 10 staff pay less than 5k in total doesn't mean they paid the proper thing, some companies employ tax avoidance strategies, the popular one being Voluntary Pension Contribution. The reason i said we need to know her Gross Emolument before drawing any conclusion.
If you knew me well on this forum, you'd know that arguing isn't my thing. I don't have the time!

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:41pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You seem not to be understanding the point. You have been making hypothetical figures and assuming, you need to know what her gross is before you can calculate!! Again you will make a bad consultant, you are already assuming paye figures because you think her salary is low (by your wild assumption). Do we tax based on high and low? Or the gross Emolument? C'mom dude
Lirs.gov.ng

Kids.gov.ng

The two sites can help you.

Yes, I accept that I assumed her gross pay, but I am not sure she earns more than 100k. My salary is above 100k but my monthly PAYE is little above 5k.

So why would her own be 5k.

All those lagos jobs with salaries wavering around 30-35k is what the monthly PAYE is 5k. C'mon bro, we are scientists and you mustn't wait for all datas to make a usable assumptions.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by ghost3040: 7:41pm On Mar 09, 2018
Tax consultants don kuku take over this thread undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:42pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

I thought you said you know about the PIT, now do you know the Personal income tax Act? it's governed by law not subjective.

Since her employer knows about tax, then he should do well to calculate it well too.

From your calculations, Her taxable income is less than N300k and as such you can't subject it to the rate.

The act says that in such case, the PAYE is 1% of her gross annual income. Then for the month is dividing it by 12

How did you arrive at the 500k? Assumption i guess.

Canyou refer me to the section of the Act? I hope you aren't confusing this with minimum tax of 1% of gross pay where the paye is less that 1%
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:44pm On Mar 09, 2018
BecaciaBarbie:

If you knew me well on this forum, you'd know that arguing isn't my thing. I don't have the time!
Good stuff
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:46pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

I just saw where you talked about Pension, NHF and NHIS, those are tax exempts that will be removed from her consolidated taxable income (after the 200000 + 20% of her salary is removed) before imposing the rate.

If you remove those tax exempts, it becomes so clear that she was cheated. She pays for NHF, pension without having a pension account? NHf account? And TIN?
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Nickigold(f): 7:46pm On Mar 09, 2018
Acidosis:

Bad experience here. A lot of graduates are going through similar, even more terrifying, situation. May God see you through...

Where are you based btw?

Ikorodu...
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:47pm On Mar 09, 2018
abobim:
For you to pay such amount that means you must be earning up to at least 85k per month.. I.e if your boss is not paying pension for you.. Even that 85k you wont be paying 5k as tax per month, it should be 4k plus...
You know the real deal bro
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:48pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

Lirs.gov.ng

Kids.gov.ng

The two sites can help you.

Yes, I accept that I assumed her gross pay, but I am not sure she earns more than 100k. My salary is above 100k but my monthly PAYE is little above 5k.

So why would her own be 5k.

All those lagos jobs with salaries wavering around 30-35k is what the monthly PAYE is 5k. C'mon bro, we are scientists and you mustn't wait for all datas to make a usable assumptions.

Can u give the exact figure of your salary? My gross is 150 and i pay about 11k after pension deduction, let's reconcile our difference pls.. whats ur gross exactly
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:49pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Can u give the exact figure of your salary? My gross is 150 and i pay about 11k after pension deduction, let's reconcile our difference pls.. whats ur gross exactly
This is a public forum.
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:50pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You mean that your monthly salary is 150 or gross annual income?

Not connecting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Are The Job Opportunities For Microbiologist? / Starting Project Management Training/certification / Can Someone Survive On ₦130,000 Monthly In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.