Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,813 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? (3788 Views)

I Am Agnostic But I Need To Make You Realize The Power Of The Church In Nigeria. / Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by psalmiel(m): 9:17pm On Mar 11, 2018
Uyi168:
..can u point to me where he actually said so..

I only pinpointed few of his conversation. Search for his conversations on net, you'll see it yourself. And as you can see he categorically said he's NO longer an atheist cos the scales the devil has planted on his eyes and heart has fallen off. Infact, he even ended one of his conversations with a Jewish prayer at Harvard University recently.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Uyi168: 9:30pm On Mar 11, 2018
psalmiel:

I only pinpointed few of his conversation. Search for his conversations on net, you'll see it yourself. And as you can see he categorically said he's NO longer an atheist cos the scales the devil has planted on his eyes and heart has fallen off. Infact, he even ended one of his conversations with a Jewish prayer.
..I've read the msg on his wall..the issue even made fb here on nairaland.mark's parents are jews..and for ur info,jews dnt believe in jesus...

1 Like

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by CuteMadridista: 9:32pm On Mar 11, 2018
psalmiel:

I only pinpointed few of his conversation. Search for his conversations on net, you'll see it yourself. And as you can see he categorically said he's NO longer an atheist cos the scales the devil has planted on his eyes and heart has fallen off. Infact, he even ended one of his conversations with a Jewish prayer at Harvard University recently.

OGA, go and take several seats. Mark NEVER called himself a Christian and this post of yours doesn't even point to him being a Christian as Judaism is not Christianity and Mark belongs to Judaism which your post about him giving Jewish prayer lends credibility to

The Jews don't believe in Jesus

1 Like

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by psalmiel(m): 9:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
CuteMadridista:

OGA, go and take several seats. Mark NEVER called himself a Christian and this post of yours doesn't even point to him being a Christian as Judaism is not Christianity and Mark belongs to Judaism which your post about him giving Jewish prayer lends credibility to

The Jews don't believe in Jesus

He didn't categorically say he's a Christian, agreed. But remember we have Jewish Christians. But all I'm concerned about is that he now believes in religion and he's no longer an atheist.
Remember he and his wife visited Pope in Italy 2016 as well given reverence to his teachings. Or does Pope practice Judaism?
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by CuteMadridista: 10:08pm On Mar 11, 2018
psalmiel:

He didn't categorically say he's a Christian, agreed. But remember we have Jewish Christian. But all I'm concerned about is that he now believes in religion and he's no longer an atheist.
Remember he and his wife visited Pope in Italy 2016 as well given reverence to his teachings. Or does Pope practice Judaism?

Yes there are Israelis that are Christians but nothing in Mark's words point to him being a Christian

No one is calling him an atheist, we're challenging the claim that he's a Christian

Businessmen visit a lot of people and go to a lot of places so one shouldn't read too much into their visiting the pope or Sheikh or Sensei as it might be totally unconnected to religion, I even know of Christians that visit Saudi Arabia or even Mecca for business purposes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by psalmiel(m): 6:52am On Mar 12, 2018
Uyi168:
..I've read the msg on his wall..the issue even made fb here on nairaland.mark's parents are jews..and for ur info,jews dnt believe in jesus...

Not all Jews bro: We have Jewish Christians
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by MrPRevailer(m): 11:53am On Mar 12, 2018
Codedrock:

LOL.. Sorry to disappoint.. But even if Jesus himself appears to me physically I can't be Christian again..
Thanks for the care though.. I still got love for all Christians though

Then you clearly don't know or understand the power of Jesus. You still like gospel music even though you are now atheist and think you can't be overpowered and transformed by his presence. The accounts of those that hated God but encountered Jesus say otherwise. Jesus is Joy and life himself and his joy and peace will overwhelm the staunchest unbeliever to the point of uncontrollable tears.
It's only demons/fallen angels that won't feel such because they have been judged.

Unto him every knee shall bow.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by MrPRevailer(m): 12:07pm On Mar 12, 2018
Codedrock
Contd.
This ignorance is another reason Atheists dislike the idea of Eternity in Heaven because they feel it's like living as a human being that can become bored or become used to certain delights.
In Eternal life, things are 100℅ different from your negative thoughts and infinitely ahead of my positive thoughts.

If you can understand that God doesn't have a beginning but is the beginning. He doesn't have an end, cause he lives forever and ever. Then you can understand that everything about God is infinite. Wisdom, knowledge, joy, peace, riches, beauty, glory, power and things humans don't have a terminology for.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by wirinet(m): 12:49pm On Mar 12, 2018
MrPRevailer:
Codedrock
Contd.
This ignorance is another reason Atheists dislike the idea of Eternity in Heaven because they feel it's like living as a human being that can become bored or become used to certain delights.
In Eternal life, things are 100℅ different from your negative thoughts and infinitely ahead of my positive thoughts.

If you can understand that God doesn't have a beginning but is the beginning. He doesn't have an end, cause he lives forever and ever. Then you can understand that everything about God is infinite. Wisdom, knowledge, joy, peace, riches, beauty, glory, power and things humans don't have a terminology for.

Tautology, you are just repeating the same senseless phrases again and again. First there is nothing like eternity, everything will eventually come to an end - even the universe.

Then the concept of heaven is as senseless as it is stupid. A person lives may maybe 18 years and because the person have sex, you God will therefore send him to billions of years of punishment. Does that sound sane to you.
Sometimes, I hear your God send children to hell, even humans do not send children to prison.

So you have positive thoughts and negative thoughts in your heaven? So what are these your delights that you can never get bored of?

1 Like

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by wirinet(m): 12:58pm On Mar 12, 2018
Music is universal and is enjoyed by people irrespective of race breed or creed. Lots of Nigerians enjoy Indian music without hearing a word of hindi. Many oyinbo people enjoy fela, sunny ade, awilo, etc.
I enjoy Don Moen, kirk franklin and even many church hymns, it is music, just music.

In the reverse, lots of Christians enjoy 2face, flavour, davido and many other musicians whose lyrics are "unchristian", does that stop them from being Christians?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by MrPRevailer(m): 4:31pm On Mar 12, 2018
wirinet:

Tautology, you are just repeating the same senseless phrases again and again. First there is nothing like eternity, everything will eventually come to an end - even the universe.

Then the concept of heaven is as senseless as it is stupid. A person lives may maybe 18 years and because the person have sex, you God will there send him to billions of years of punishment. Does that sound sane to you.
Sometimes, I hear your God send children to hell, even humans do not send children to prison.

So you have positive thoughts and negative thoughts in your heaven? So what are these your delights that you can never get bored of?

Scientists have seen other dimensions with advanced technology but cannot explain it because it is difficult to explain.

There are many things you cannot understand or comprehend as a human. So the best thing you should do is simply shut-up. And stop talking as if you are very sure there is no eternity or hell or heaven.

I make only positive statements about heaven. It is a place of perfection.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by wirinet(m): 6:47pm On Mar 12, 2018
MrPRevailer:

Scientists have seen other dimensions with advanced technology but cannot explain it because it is difficult to explain.

There are many things you cannot understand or comprehend as a human. So the best thing you should do is simply shut-up. And stop talking as if you are very sure there is no eternity or hell or heaven.

I make only positive statements about heaven. It is a place of perfection.

You guys just talk and yet do not say anything. Which scientists have seen which dimensions and with what kind of technology? I hope it is not spiritual technology.

There are many things I cannot understand, but you can? Why not take the liberty to explain these things.

I am very sure that there are no heaven or hell, because they are meaningless and senseless terms that the formulators of Christianity borrowed from Greek mythology to scare people into accepting their religion.

There is no concept of hell in judaism.

Explain more about the positive statements of this your heaven you so dream of going.
What is perfection?

2 Likes

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by khiaa(f): 8:45am On Mar 13, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:
Gospel music is boring.

Hellosmiley Gospel music soothes the soul. What did you want to tell me?
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by MrPRevailer(m): 9:25am On Mar 13, 2018
wirinet:

You guys just talk and yet do not say anything. Which scientists have seen which dimensions and with what kind of technology? I hope it is not spiritual technology.

There are many things I cannot understand, but you can? Why not take the liberty to explain these things.

I am very sure that there are no heaven or hell, because they are meaningless and senseless terms that the formulators of Christianity borrowed from Greek mythology to scare people into accepting their religion.

There is no concept of hell in judaism.

Explain more about the positive statements of this your heaven you so dream of going.
What is perfection? ]

The true and typical nature of the athiest was just demonstrated here.

You ADMIT here that there are many things you don't understand/know, YET, YOU ARE SURE that a spiritual place such as Heaven and Hell do not exist.

And then YOU WANT ME to begin giving explanation for a place that YOU HAVE DECIDED you won't believe exists. (Casting pearls to swine)

Give chance joor make I laugh well. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Uyi168: 3:00pm On Mar 13, 2018
psalmiel:

Not all Jews bro: We have Jewish Christians
..yea,buh they are few.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Martinez19(m): 3:02pm On Mar 13, 2018
I listen to Frank Edwards grin omenma e......... wink
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by wirinet(m): 6:16pm On Mar 13, 2018
MrPRevailer:

The true and typical nature of the athiest was just demonstrated here.

You ADMIT here that there are many things you don't understand/know, YET, YOU ARE SURE that a spiritual place such as Heaven and Hell do not exist.

And then YOU WANT ME to begin giving explanation for a place that YOU HAVE DECIDED you won't believe exists. (Casting pearls to swine)

Give chance joor make I laugh well. cheesy

I truly believes religion completely switches off the cognitive functions of the brain. You talk as if you are permanently high on some very high potent drug.

You talk about understanding a heaven and hell without explaining what, where or how it entails.

The fact that there are many things i do not understand does not mean i will believe anything and everything you throw at me, no matter how crazy it is.

There had been many things I did not believe before, but precise explanations had made me have a change of heart.

The greatest minds in the world have changed their opinions to superior arguments. Even Einstein had to have a change of mind concerning the randomness of the universe (quantum mechanics) when presented with superior arguments by Neils Bohr.
Present your arguments concerning heaven and hell, since you claim to be an authority.

1 Like

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by khiaa(f): 12:31am On Mar 14, 2018
[quote author=Codedrock post=65700061]Hello guys.. I'm Agnostic, I still love gospel music and the hyme book. I don't know about you guys religion maybe shady but the music is lit.. Most especially the hyme book. The songs are great.. I was a chorinster.
I still sing many gospel songs.. Cos I enjoy it. Of course I don't believe in them, but the melody and some lyrics still gets me singing and emotional sometimes matter of fact I make myself get emotional to the music sometimes cos it makes me enjoy the music more..

I was talking with a couple atheists days ago about how I still sing some gospel songs and they were like I haven't truly let go Christianity and I tried explaining to them I am a great music lover and that listening/singing to gospel music for me now is like listening to a normal pop song.. I tried to explain to them its all about the music... I even told them the fact I am able to still enjoy gospel music as a normal music shows how not into religion I am. But they still felt I am supposed to ignore gospel music..

Either ways.. The reason I created this post is to actually ask atheists/deists/agnostics here that were formally Christian if you guys actually forced yourselves to stop listening or enjoying any Christian music... Cos I think that would be a bit weird and too serious.. [/quote
]
I love African American singing Gospel music, they sing from their souls. smiley
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by MrPRevailer(m): 10:40am On Mar 14, 2018
wirinet:

I truly believes religion completely switches off the cognitive functions of the brain. You talk as if you are permanently high on some very high potent drug.

You talk about understanding a heaven and hell without explaining what, where or how it entails.

The fact that there are many things i do not understand does not mean i will believe anything and everything you throw at me, no matter how crazy it is.

There had been many things I did not believe before, but precise explanations had made me have a change of heart.

The greatest minds in the world have changed their opinions to superior arguments. Even Einstein had to have a change of mind concerning the randomness of the universe (quantum mechanics) when presented with superior arguments by Neils Bohr.
Present your arguments concerning heaven and hell, since you claim to be an authority.

You affirm that even the most brightest humans had wrong assumptions/theories. People whose theories govern the scientific fields of study today were later proved wrong.

If you are sure that something does not exist, no explanation can satisfy you. You are ABSOLUTELY closed minded.

You have no proof of evolution and the MIIILIONS OF YEARS scam. Yet you believe it because science says so. And when one tells you of Heaven, you are sure it doesn't exist simply because you hate the CONCEPT.

Suit yourself.

The best explanation is EXPERIENCE because no word mixture can convince you. So if you're true to your word, visit The Lord's Chosen ministry @ Ijesha Bustop, Lagos. But since you want to suit urself, you will be very reluctant to come.

Because you say to yourself, what if I have seen beyond a doubt that God is real? I would begin to live my life as if I'm in bondage? I cannot do everything I please! I have to go to church! Hmm, I'd rather not.

So wink who is deceiving who? You can't deceive God. You are the one deceiving yourself. As for me, I have discerned it already. grin
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by awesomeJ(m): 11:29am On Mar 15, 2018
Seun:
I enjoy Les Miserables, which is a Christian Musical. It’s a story about an ex-con, Jean Valjean, whose life was transformed after a priest inspired him to dedicate his life to serving God by helping people. His last words were, “forgive me all my trespasses and take me to your glory.” Many of the key songs make references to God but the fictional characters’ belief in a fictional diety doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the music at all.

However, I rarely sing gospel songs or worship songs. I like some gospel hymns but the lyrics make me cringe, so I rarely sing them. I catch myself humming church songs unconsciously once in a while though.
Hello sir, how have you been.
You must be having a busy schedule lately.

Perhaps you could find some 8minutes to relax with this:

Yours(Glory and Praise)-Live by Elevation worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aF7nc3-I-U

Love you. God does much more.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by awesomeJ(m): 3:28pm On Mar 18, 2018
Seun:
I enjoy Les Miserables, which is a Christian Musical. It’s a story about an ex-con, Jean Valjean, whose life was transformed after a priest inspired him to dedicate his life to serving God by helping people. His last words were, “forgive me all my trespasses and take me to your glory.” Many of the key songs make references to God but the fictional characters’ belief in a fictional diety doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the music at all.

However, I rarely sing gospel songs or worship songs. I like some gospel hymns but the lyrics make me cringe, so I rarely sing them. I catch myself humming church songs unconsciously once in a while though.
Hello Seun, hope your Sunday's been great.
Try viewing this in a 360p+ quality: "Forever" by Kari Jobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFra1mnIVE
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Seun(m): 12:04pm On Mar 19, 2018
AwesomeJ, those songs aren’t even as good as the Don Moen, Ron Kenoly, Kirk Franklin songs of yore. Check out Chain Breaker.

This morning, I caught myself singing Arugbo Ojo, which one Professor Kehinde of OAU sang during a very old Living Spring concert

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by awesomeJ(m): 12:28pm On Mar 19, 2018
Seun:
AwesomeJ, those songs aren’t even as good as the Don Moen, Ron Kenoly, Kirk Franklin songs of yore. Check out Chain Breaker.

This morning, I caught myself singing Arugbo Ojo, which one Professor Kehinde of OAU sang during a very old Living Spring concert

My bad.

I assumed you'd love a similar genre as myself.

Great you checked them out though.

Singing Arugbo Ojo shouldn't make you feel bad though. ( not saying it did) . Even if you don't believe in the "Arugbo Ojo", sing still if you enjoy it.

Chain Breaker, I'll revert.
Modified:
Just finished viewing. Same genre if you ask me.

check out " Shinning " by Phil Wickham, as well as " All I need is You" and "Oceans " both by Hillsong United.

You should at least enjoy one of those 3, if you really enjoyed that Zach Williams' song you mentioned.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by visita: 8:44pm On Mar 21, 2018
Oceans. I love that song.
awesomeJ:

My bad.

I assumed you'd love a similar genre as myself.

Great you checked them out though.

Singing Arugbo Ojo shouldn't make you feel bad though. ( not saying it did) . Even if you don't believe in the "Arugbo Ojo", sing still if you enjoy it.

Chain Breaker, I'll revert.
Modified:
Just finished viewing. Same genre if you ask me.

check out " Shinning " by Phil Wickham, as well as " All I need is You" and "Oceans " both by Hillsong United.

You should at least enjoy one of those 3, if you really enjoyed that Zach Williams' song you mentioned.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2018
I generally don't enjoy conventional gospel songs, but I still enjoy a lot of hymns. There is an orchestral performance of Handel's Young Messiah that I listened to as a child which I still do today. During Christmas, I still play all the carols. In the end, it's all still music.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by TheEnforcer: 9:15am On May 03, 2018
AryaSand:

Not all. I'm an Atheist too and I actually have a couple of Gospel songs on my phone. I hum my mother's favourite gospel songs every time I'm in the bathroom cause it makes me feel like she's around. My current favourite is 'Owase' by Benita, I just love that song.
An atheist?That's surprising
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Nobody: 9:28am On May 03, 2018
TheEnforcer:
An atheist?That's surprising
Surprising?
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by Viking007(m): 6:25pm On Dec 14, 2018
visita:
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to gospel music since even when I was a muslim. My favourite ones are 'Jesus' by Ada, 'I know who I am' by Sinach, 'ocean' by Hillsong.
Dude!! Where have you been?? I was just going through undergoals post and stumbled on your comment, do you still have my number? Mehn it's been ages. cheesy Sent a pm.
Re: I'm Agnostic But I Still Enjoy Gospel Music & Hymns. Atheists Do You Too? by visita: 12:48am On Dec 15, 2018
Viking007:
Dude!! Where have you been?? I was just going through undergoals post and stumbled on your comment, do you still have my number? Mehn it's been ages. cheesy Sent a pm.
I've been good. Replied your pm

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Insanity Of A Radical Muslim(everybody Should See These) / Three Critical Truths About Seed Sowing / Is This Not Enough Reason To disBelief God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.