Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,641 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? (6279 Views)

Please Any Remedy For Stammering / HERBS For Permanent Cure For STAMMERING/STUTTERING / Stammering Is Killing Me - I Can't Even Talk To A Woman - Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by oriadesoro: 6:31pm On Apr 29, 2010
I am in my late 30s and a chronic stammerer from birth. I had thought my speaking difficulties would dissappear as I grew older, but it only worsened. Now my greatest source of unhappiness is my 4 - yr old son who has started stammering! We have used snail water, bar beach water for him, but all to no avail. A friend referred me to the neurology section of this site http://www.stammeringcureclinic.info - but nothing much was achieved.

What can I do to stop this family embarrassment? sad
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by MCLOVIN: 8:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
oriadesoro,
Sorry to hear about this, im not sure about stammering not being hereditary but you have probably done more research than i have on the subject.
But can I ask you, how do children learn ?

They learn by copying grown ups around them. They copy our habits, mode of dress , and our way of Speaking and language.
Your son may simply be mimicking you, thinking he's copying normal speech from his dad.
If this is true, the solution is simple but also drastic. DONT ALLOW YOUR SON TO HEAR YOU SPEAK.
I m not sure how youll do this, maybe you might want to move out for a while . . . ?
But on another note, 4 years is the age when little boys are most likely to stammer, for a while. My neighbours kid stammered from 4 to 4 and a half. He's 5 now and speaks just fine. So there's hope for your boy.

As for snail water and beach water, ive never heard of such curing stammering.

ge
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by doraDORA: 7:50am On Apr 30, 2010
Yes, to a large extent I agree with the last poster, MCLOVIN: Our children watch us closely more than we do to them and they try to imitate us in everything. However, stammering as a speech defect has a fundamental root problem because stammerers, I want to believe, do not stammer in their thoughts! So, it appears there is some defect in that part of the brain that controls speech I mean, a blockage between thougts transmission into speech. The site http://stammeringcureclinic.info also alludes to this fact in its neurology listing.
I know a stammerer that has been able to control his stammer by using simple relaxation techniques because most stammerers are always on the edge. That friend would always breathe in and out about 5 times before speaking ans slowly picks his word - Give this a try and I'm sure you will see the difference. Cheers wink
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by MJacksons: 10:03am On Apr 30, 2010
Sorry o, this is a pathetic and highly embarassing family situation! I pray that God Almighty will intervene and bind all evil machinations in your family. Happiness, joy and peace of mind shall be yours in Jesus' name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by billydkidd: 11:42am On Apr 30, 2010
Like the last poster advised, you need divine healing! If the blind, lame, deaf and dumb can be healed at various powerful crusades, how much more stammering? The site http://www.stammeringcureclinic.info can only help theoritically, but ONLY JESUS CAN TRULY HEAL! God be with you

1 Like

Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by Eeyore1: 5:36pm On Apr 30, 2010
This is a serious issue o! But there is no problem bigger than God. God will surely heal and deliver your family. Amen
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by onecolumn: 11:09pm On May 01, 2010
Stammering is another self - defeating, ego deflating problem that you cannot but pity the sufferers! It appears there is no one cure for it, but I cannot say whether it is hereditary or not. I once attended a seminar and when the chairman of the occasion was called upon to speak, he started to stammer and was profusely sweating and eventually was cut short! Very embarrassing!! Above all, I think sufferers need to practice relaxation techniques as advised by one of the earlier posters on this topic

However, stammerers have good and great company in MKO Abiola and the biblical Moses! cheesy
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by JustdoIt1: 5:28pm On May 02, 2010
No problem beyond Jesus! Come unto me all ye that are heavy laden and I will give you rest, thus says the Lord.
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by DisGuy: 5:53pm On May 02, 2010
maybe he is just mimicking you wink
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by bgees(m): 2:28am On May 03, 2010
No one is sure if stammering is hereditary. but I'll give u an advice, take him to a speech therapist as soon as possible so that he can be cured early. Its harder to slove this problem in grown strammerers.
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by Dxxyabdc66: 4:40pm On May 03, 2010
Eh - ya, this is really, really frustrating for you! But the good Lord Jesus will deliver you from this 'bondage.' But, I want to take a cue from one of the other posters who analysed that stammerers do not stammer in their thoughts. If we can possibly confirm that by any means, then a cure may well be in the offing! Because it simply means that there is some disconnect between thought and speech in the brains of stammerers. Someone should please work on this hypothesis to produce a miracle cure for stammerers!!!
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by face969: 7:02pm On May 04, 2010
@Topic
McLOVIN may be right, the kid is just trying to be like daddy. Move away for 4months or so. Let him try copying his mum for a change.
Its either that or there's a Family curse you need to deal with. God will guide u to the right M.OG not all these 'erelu agbaye' customers.
Amen.
PS have u tried scaring the 'livin' daylights' out the boy ? Its worked for one or two ppl.
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by MalcolmXXX: 11:00pm On May 13, 2010
I do sympathize with you over this terrible condition really, but like I said earlier, which one is worse - stammering or bed wetting?
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by SAfrica201: 9:47pm On May 15, 2010
I read the site you recommended and saw a Chinese bizarre technique used to ''banish'' stammering in little children. What they do is to make such children walk on red-hot coals or broken pieces of bottles!!! It's totally incredible, but the report says success rate is 90%! I'm sure you would have also seen this, Mr Oriadeso or did U not try it at least? I think it's worth trying o! Stay blessed
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by edomann: 9:31pm On May 17, 2010
No, I don't think stammering is hereditary, at least, I've not read it anywhere that it is! You may need to see a speech therapist for best advice and solution. All the best.
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by angeloxxx: 10:35pm On May 21, 2010
I just wonder whether this can be true? Because I know that stammering cannot be hereditary, at least, I've not read it anywhere that it is. Even the recommended site below does not say that it is hereditary. Maybe the poster - Oriade - should consider 'native' solution. I'm sure he would know what I mean since he's a Yoruba person who I'm sure would love watching Yoruba home videos!! grin
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by bigshowsz: 9:49pm On Jun 08, 2010
Well. for all you know, it may be hereditary, it may be in the genes. May God help you out. Amen.
Re: Is Stammering Hereditary?if Not, Why Has My 4 - Yr Old Son Taken After Me? by scampy(m): 12:15pm On Nov 11, 2012
@ Op, I wil support d first comment. If u want to hear ur son speak well again u wil av to move away frm him for som mnths or even years. Dis is d same technique Deaf & Dumb Parents also apply to protects deir children from mimmicking dem. Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

Virgin Coconut Oil & Unrefined SHEA-BUTTER For Skin & Hair Beauty / OMG!! See This 4-year-old Nigerian Girl With Fully Developed Big br***st [pics] / What's The Best Muscle Building Supplement Available Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.