Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,228 members, 7,807,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? (19901 Views)

Should I Accept The New Job Offer? / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

Please, help me push it to FP

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by henryvirus(m): 6:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
Since you've got a better place to work with even better incentives,i think you should go for it.explain to your Dad, if he is insisting you have to consider the fact that you can't keep relying on him to make decisions for you. follow what suits you, where you can have peace of mind and better gains. you are a man bro. time for you to man up�

74 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 10, 2018
henryvirus:
Since you've got a better place to work with even better incentives,i think you should go for it.explain to your Dad, if he is insisting you have to consider the fact that you can't keep relying on him to make decisions for you. follow what suits you, where you can have peace of mind and better gains. you are a man bro. time for you to man up�
tnx bro

7 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2018
You aren't a kid again bro, tell that straight into your dad's face. Thanks

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by dhardline(m): 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2018
Wow some people even have choices shocked While others are scampering for n-power.

You had better go to where they see your value and not where they think they are doing you a favour.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by alfred007(m): 7:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
you're a man now!

act as such!

meanwhile, dinner is servé

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
Follow your mind
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by tobechi74: 7:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
daddys boy, move on. go to where you are celebrated and not tolerated. peace of mind matters most

17 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Keywordconcept(m): 7:07pm On Mar 10, 2018
Forget the CEO and get the job that will give you peace of mind.

Check my signature to earn passively.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by theSpark(m): 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
When you know why your dad is insistent on that firm you'll be able to make an informed decision.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by adecz: 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
In most cases, in the long run,
dad is usually right.

Wetin old man Sidon ground see,
young man go climb 'Burq Khalifa' Tower for
Dubai , e no go see am..

Take your tongue count your teeth.

26 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by teamv: 7:08pm On Mar 10, 2018
Follow your dad e get why

14 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Ibrahim3307(m): 7:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
henryvirus:
good advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by dinocy(m): 7:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
it is you that will be working there and not your dad, so follow your heart.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by millionboi2: 7:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
Hahaha

Bro go 4d one with better pay.

For ur old man just make more and more and more money,This days nobody rejects a rich man

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by nkwuocha: 7:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
Accept it and move on bro.
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by traeces(m): 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Even though I don't have all the details, reading through your writ, what came to my mind was:
"Obey your parents in the lord for this is right..."
Sometimes, these folks see seating what we can't see standing on a pole.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by wristbangle: 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Kindly go with the job that has better incentives and most especially career growth. You have to stand up as a man in this scenario. You can't continue to be daddy's boy and for the CEO to slash your salary by 33% may go further to frustrate and end up owing you several months of salary. The choice is yours to make. Make a smart one bro.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Ias1: 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
And I dey here dey find work

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by americanson: 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
adecz:
In most cases, in the long run,
dad is usually right.

Wetin old man Sidon ground see,
young man go climb Burq Khalifa for
Dubai , e no go see am..
lol. Easy to know the kind of home he grew up in. Not a way I would wish to raise my kids. U have to be tough enough to compete without favor

2 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by 4oyrsExperience(m): 7:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
OP

Good evening,

Pls i beg you. Help ne with a job plssss... After making ur choice, let me have the other one.

Pls bikonu

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
Forget dad, forget the state offer. What do you really want, what are your future plans. Place the two offers before the plan you have for your life then make your decision. Dads may always be right but you are allowed to write your own story that is what makes it your life

5 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by madgoat(m): 7:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

I finished service Dec 2017 and got a job in the state I served, was excited and told dad, dad told me he doesn't like that one that he wants me to work in a firm (he has some contacts there)

Although I knew the Gen. manager Coz I worked with him in 2015 for a few months. Meanwhile dad got a job for my younger sister in that same firm. I told dad that I won't want to wait beyond February since he was certain I'll get the job, he assured me. January passed, met the CEO and he said he'll get back to me in a month's time, prior to meeting the CEO, I had already called the manager and told him that I'm almost done with service, he said I should come meet him in January, old dad, my dad said I shouldn't meet him that I should meet the CEO, so I obeyed. So when I met the CEO, he called the manager in my presence, I had this awkward feeling but I kept my cool, the manager told him I've worked with him before. So they said they'll get back to me. a month passed and I kept going to and fro to hear their feedback but nothing was forthcoming,

Met the GM, he told me March but no specific date and told me the salary I was to be paid, I was OK with it, towards the end of February I sent an email to the CEO that I haven't heard from him and got no reply, had to visit the firm. Met the GM and he said I should meet the CEO, while waiting to see the CEO, he told the security man to tell me to see the GM, he was told I've seen him and he told the security to tell me to go home, I got sad and told dad that I'm fed up that I need to go to where I'm needed not where they think they're doing me a favor, dad sent and called both GM and CEO an SMS and calls resp but got no reply.

Meanwhile I travelled to go and secure a job in the state I served, my sister now called me that the GM told her to tell me to come see her, I felt awkward Coz I chat with him on WhatsApp and visit him often so why wasn't I called directly? I came back, went straight to see the GM and he told me the CEO has changed his mind about my salary that about 33% was slashed from it, that I should start with it.

Meanwhile the other job I got was a better offer with good incentives, dad wants me to work in that firm but I told him I'm not accepting the job but he's insisting, pls I need your advice Coz I need a place where I can work with peace of mind.

This is why it's not good to go to private university and graduate at a very young age thus making ur parents still have control and make decisions for you.
All i hear is dad this... dad that... Smmmmhhhh
All this kids of nowadays sef

10 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by condralbedez: 7:17pm On Mar 10, 2018
See connection, Dad call CEO and GM directly.I see that connection Nah him I still dey hustle for street of Lagos since I finished my NYSC 4 years Ago.

Meanwhile dear.. your dad has a reason for u to work at d firm.Just give it a trial.its not all about the pay .

6 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by overlord77: 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
ikihealthplus:
Sorry for the long read,

Just as @Henryvirus said, be a man and make your decisions. Go to your folks for advise when necessary and please, if you are still being fed and sheltered by your parents, time to get out.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by seunny4lif(m): 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
You get a better offer.
Your future is in your hand not your dad's hand.
If you can't decide for yourself now then your dad will control your marriage.
I'm 100% sure.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by umarshehu58(m): 7:19pm On Mar 10, 2018
Don't forget to refer someone incase you don't need the job. Thank you
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by histemple: 7:21pm On Mar 10, 2018
You seem to have undermined the authority of the GM and the CEO has actually changed his mind from giving you the job. The salary slash was intended to discourage you indirectly.

I think the CEO feels the familiarity will affect the relationship negatively.

10 Likes

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by freshkik(m): 7:25pm On Mar 10, 2018
condralbedez:
See connection, Dad call CEO and GM directly.I see that connection Nah him I still dey hustle for street of Lagos since I finished my NYSC 4 years Ago.

Meanwhile dear.. your dad has a reason for u to work at d firm.Just give it trial.its not all about the pay .
grin
Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by Nicklaus619(m): 7:26pm On Mar 10, 2018
Bro I have been in ya shoes before, this what u should consider first, the state offer is it a government appointment if yes run bak and take ya job, I personally will never advise you to go with the one ya dad is recommending for you, something seems fishy and from the way they are increasing and reducing salary at will, I foresee you wouldn't last in the company because they are may come up with a bullshit excuse Tomorow to reduce ya salary the more. Go back to where u serve an take ya destiny into ya hand. cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? by salveoP(m): 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2018
You are a grown man, make your own decision and stand by it. Do not always allow your Dad to influence ur decisions and choices. Prove to him you are now a man and see him respect your choices. Mind you, dis doesn't show u are insolent...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#nairalife: The Makeup Artist Staying Hopeful At ₦50k/month / Between "Barbing And Phone Repair" Which One Is More Lucrative To Learn / Which Of These Two Careers Can Help Me Migrate To The US?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.