Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (35190 Views)

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) / Irene Duffy Lynch To Translate Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart To Irish / Achebe's 'things Fall Apart' Makes 12 'greatest Books Ever Written' List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by souloho19(m): 10:42am On Mar 11, 2018
Olatara:
the best one ever

Exactly
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by OyinO: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2018
Lighthouseman:
Ok
The sun will shine on those standing before on those sitting.
When our education was good. The book was used by literature students but why they stopped, I don't know.
It opens the blind eyes to the understandings of the ills and damages caused by imperialism and colonialism.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by rabzy: 11:47am On Mar 11, 2018
my favourite is ' go into that bush and eat s.hit, a week day old sh.it'. That is gangster.

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by MrsMusty(f): 12:19pm On Mar 11, 2018
Proverbs are the oil with which words are eaten....

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:29pm On Mar 11, 2018
blesskewe:
Things fall apart
The center cannot hold
I read that book more than 3times

Just three times?

I read that book up-to 20 times, and am still hungry to read it again and again.

Such a sweet novel!
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by nurria(f): 12:36pm On Mar 11, 2018
All he knew(Ikemefuna)was that a few men had arrived at their house, conversing with his father in low tones, and at the end he had been taken out and handed over to a stranger.His mother had wept bitterly, but he had been too surprised to weep." This passage always wet my eyes each time I read the novel"
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by blesskewe(f): 1:04pm On Mar 11, 2018
crazysaint:

Just three times?

I read that book up-to 20 times, and am still hungry to read it again and again.

Such a sweet novel!
lol
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by toniacan(f): 1:26pm On Mar 11, 2018
A man who calls his kinsmen to a feast does not do so to redeem them from starving. They all have food in their houses. when we gather together at the moonlight village ground, it is not because of the moon. Every man can see it in his own compound. we come together because it is good for kinsmen to do so.
Therefore let us continue with the team spirit and enjoy the power of togetherness. let's smile not because we don't have problems but because we are stronger than our problem.

The white man came in steadily among us, he has put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart.

6 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Perfecter4real(m): 1:37pm On Mar 11, 2018
7 was my favourite.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by 7footre(m): 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2018
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by 7footre(m): 3:18pm On Mar 11, 2018
toniacan:
A man who calls his kinsmen to a feast does not do so to redeem them from starving. They all have food in their houses. when we gather together at the moonlight village ground, it is not because of the moon. Every man can see it in his own compound. we come together because it is good for kinsmen to do so.
Therefore let us continue with the team spirit and enjoy the power of togetherness. let's smile not because we don't have problems but because we are stronger than our problem.

I tried to put this down but couldn't recall it this much. I doff my hat nuff respeck

The white man came in steadily among us, he has put a knife on the things that held us together and we have fallen apart.

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by 7footre(m): 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2018
The white man has put a knife through the thread that holds us together. The centre cannot hold and things have fallen apart.

We sometimes stand in the house of a coward and point at the ruins where a great man once lived.

The rays of the sun gets to those who are standing before those who are sitted.

A proverb is the palm oil with which words are eaten.

That boy calls you father, do not have a hand n his death. cry cry

I'm a big Achebe fan and have read all his work... I love proverbs too

2 Likes

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by ndubueze92(m): 3:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
The most important lesson in the novel, Unoka, his father was a lazy man.
Okonkwo, decided to be better than his father. Hence, he became very strong; a good farmer and wrestler. Despite making some rash decisions; like the killing of Ikemefuna, he never did want to be seen as being weak. If only stopped seeing stupid politicians, fake religious leaders failed fathers etc... as role models!
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by ndubueze92(m): 3:47pm On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.
Of course, it's not a romantic novel, most girls of nowadays won't like it.
I mean no insults, I respect your opinion. If you care about the African feelings, history and unionism! This authors will give you that; Camara laye, Achebe, Ngugi Wa Thiongo... the list continues, to get the unadulterated African setting before the colonial impostors raped Africa.

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by rowbee(m): 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
"An animal rubs its itching flank on a tree. But a man asks his kinsman to scratch his back for him"

"We gather together to feast not because each man doesn't have food in his house, but because it is good for kinsmen to come together."

N.B The above quotes are not accurate. Its been quite a while

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by rowbee(m): 5:37pm On Mar 11, 2018
If a man comes into my Obi and defaecates on the floor, will I sit and look at him? No! I will break his head with a big stick

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by konfused: 6:42pm On Mar 11, 2018
Chikita66:
I've read it two times (igbo and English version), its not as fascinating as people say it is.

Igbo version of things fall heart, Please where can I get one?
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 11, 2018
konfused:

Igbo version of things fall heart, Please where can I get one?
"Mazi oguefi ezeudo doro Okonkwo aka n' nti, ka ohapu igbufu ikemefuna"

That's a scene in the igbo version. I'm not too sure the particular place you can get cos my teacher taught it in sec sch, but you can get it in Owerri and Aba, Onitsha too.

1 Like

Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by ekhai(m): 8:34pm On Mar 11, 2018
SenselessIdiot:
While the coward afonja called Wole soyinka is somewhere in USA passing empty threats as usual.
All afonjas took their cowardly act from the idiot called awolowo
If your tribe had somebody half the quality of Obafemi Awolowo, you won't be where you're today. Learn to comment on issues raised and don't bring unwanted tribal sentiment here. Chief Awo was a great Man. A man who knew the value of Education.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by konfused: 1:55am On Mar 12, 2018
Chikita66:
"Mazi oguefi ezeudo doro Okonkwo aka n' nti, ka ohapu igbufu ikemefuna"

That's a scene in the Igbo version. I'm not too sure the particular place you can get cos my teacher taught it in sec sch, but you can get it in Owerri and Aba, Onitsha too.

Thank you, I have never seen the Igbo translation of Things Fall Apart in print before. I am presently in Aba, is there a place you can direct me to where I can get it. I would really love to read the story in my own language. It will have a deeper refined meaning.

Thanks.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by ebuka1511(m): 6:34am On Mar 12, 2018
Chikita66:
The novel is overhyped.

If this novel is overhyped, I imagine what your taste for literature will look like. To me Achebe's "things fall Apart" and John Munonye's " the only son" remains my favorite. With these works, you don't need to read any manual again about the Igbo traditional society and clan culture. They are just epic.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 6:42am On Mar 12, 2018
konfused:

Thank you, I have never seen the Igbo translation of Things Fall Apart in print before. I am presently in Aba, is there a place you can direct me to where I can get it. I would really love to read the story in my own language. It will have a deeper refined meaning.

Thanks.
I am not in Aba, but I think you can get it at any bookshop in Aba. The last time I saw it was years ago when my teacher do read it out for us in class, so I have not looked for it since then.
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:46pm On Feb 25, 2019
Samelle:
1. A god who can kill his only child - a male child for that matter, what will he do to another man's child? I must follow him..

2. The white man came quietly and peaceably with his religion, we were amused at the white man's foolishness and allowed him to stay; now, the white man has won our brothers, we can no longer act as one. The white man has put a knife on the cord that held us together and we have fallen apart.

3. Turning and turning in the widening gyre, the falcon cannot hear the falconer... Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, mere anarchy rules the world.
i just give you one like smiley
Re: 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe by Samelle(f): 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2019
BornagainThief:
i just give you one like smiley

I noticed. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Write A Letter To Apply For Loan In Your Company / (BBW) Big Bold Woman ( a short story) / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.