Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,399 members, 7,808,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) (20722 Views)

Buhari Receives Chile Eboe-Osuji, President Of ICC / Buhari Hosted By Chile Eboe-Osuji, President Of International Criminal Court / Ike Ekweremadu Meets Chile Eboe-Osuji, President Of International Criminal Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by adamubk(m): 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
A Nigerian jurist at the International Criminal Court (ICC) has been elected president of the war crimes tribunal.

Chile Eboe-Osuji, who became the first Nigerian to be elevated to the court in 2012, would serve as ICC president for the next three years.

The announcement was contained in a statement posted on ICC website on Sunday.

See the full statement below:

“Today, 11 March 2018, the judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC), sitting in a plenary session, elected Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji (Nigeria) as President of the Court for a three-year term with immediate effect. Judge Robert Fremr(Czech Republic) was elected First Vice-President and Judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut (France) Second Vice-President.”

The new appointee was also quoted in the statement.

“I am deeply honoured to have been elected by my peers as President of the International Criminal Court. As I take up my duties, I feel encouraged that I am able to rely on the wide experience of the two Vice-Presidents, Judge Robert Fremr and Judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut, both of whom I have closely worked with previously.

“I look forward to working together with them as well as with all the judges, all the Officials and the staff of the Court in a spirit of collegiality. I also look forward to collaborating with the Assembly of States Parties, civil society and the international community at large, acting together to strengthen and reinforce the Rome Statute system, the 20th anniversary of the adoption of which we celebrate this year”, President Chile Eboe-Osuji stated following the election.

“I am also grateful to the previous President, Judge Silvia Fernández de Gurmendi, and Vice-Presidents, Judges Joyce Aluoch and Kuniko Ozaki, for their work and leadership,” he added.

The Presidency – consisting of the President and the two Vice-Presidents – plays a key role in providing strategic leadership to the ICC as a whole.

The Presidency coordinates with the other organs and seeks the concurrence of the Prosecutor on matters of mutual concern. In accordance with the Rome Statute, the ICC’s governing treaty, the Presidency is responsible for the proper administration of the Court, with the exception of the Office of the Prosecutor.

The Presidency oversees the activities of the Registry and provides input into a broad range of administrative policies affecting the Court’s overall functioning.

Furthermore it conducts judicial review of certain decisions of the Registrar and concludes Court-wide cooperation agreements with States and international organisation.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/261471-nigerias-eboe-osuji-emerges-president-international-criminal-court.html

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 11, 2018
Up Nigeria. Igbo Amaka.

Congrats nwa Igbo Osuji.

This is a big blow against genocide in Africa.

129 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by kimjongJezebel: 10:41pm On Mar 11, 2018
Congrats! Represent us well and may your tenure be eventful, fruitful and may you never pervert justice

10 Likes

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by DaniDani(m): 10:41pm On Mar 11, 2018
Ipobies be like 'bu'ary, brutai, and zoo armies will be judged by our bloda'.

Congrats nwanne, igbos keep soaring high, one day, i will be among great igbos.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Ikwokrikwo: 10:42pm On Mar 11, 2018
Omen of what is about to befall Buhari and his cohorts.

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Ikwokrikwo: 10:43pm On Mar 11, 2018
kimjongJezebel:
Congrats! Represent us well and may your tenure be fruitful
The only fruit his tenure can yield is that animal Buhari landing in Prison.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by stephleena(f): 10:43pm On Mar 11, 2018
wise man from the east. bad nite for BMC

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 11, 2018
igbodefender:
Up Nigeria. Igbo Amaka.

Congrats nwa Igbo Osuji.

This man can imprison any man on earth over genocide. No be small thing.

Osuji holds an LLB from the University of Calabar, Nigeria (1985), an LLM from McGill University, Canada (1991), and a PhD in international criminal law from the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2011).

https://www.icc-cpi.int/CourtStructure/Pages/judge.aspx?name=Judge%20Chile%20Eboe-Osuji

cc lzaa

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by CSTR2: 10:44pm On Mar 11, 2018
A master stroke.

Africans have no more excuse for wanting to leave the ICC when the hand of justice falls on their wicked leaders.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by kimjongJezebel: 10:46pm On Mar 11, 2018
CSTR2:
A master stroke.

Africans have no more excuse for wanting to leave the ICC when the hand of justice falls on their wicked leaders.

hmmm... oyinbo can be very cunning, I don't understand what they are cooking that they have to elect an African to head ICC at this point in time

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 10:47pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:

Osuji holds an LLB from the University of Calabar, Nigeria (1985), an LLM from McGill University, Canada (1991), and a PhD in international criminal law from the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands (2011).

https://www.icc-cpi.int/CourtStructure/Pages/judge.aspx?name=Judge%20Chile%20Eboe-Osuji

cc lzaa
truthsayer10 wee still blame ojukwu and lick ewedu while chanting chainge grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 11, 2018
LZAA:

truthsayer10 wee still blame ojukwu and lick ewedu while chanting chainge grin grin
Truthsayer10 wants the ICC to be reciting Yoruba upandan grin grin

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:

cc lzaa

This is great news. I am in celebratory mood right now��

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 10:50pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:
Truthsayer10 wants the ICC to be reciting Yoruba upandan grin grin
suffersticated logic is beyond human understanding grin must be the soup

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 11, 2018
LZAA:

suffersticated logic is beyond human understanding grin
must be the soup
please translate ICC to Yoruba grin grin

cc truthsayer10

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 10:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:
cc truthsayer10
chooooi!!! grin grin lemme try highhhhh ceeeee ceeee moni court grin

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 10:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:
cc truthsayer10
chooooi!!! grin grin lemme try highhhhh ceeeee ceeee moni court grin

13 Likes

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 10:56pm On Mar 11, 2018
LZAA:

chooooi!!! grin grin
lemme try
highhhhh ceeeee ceeee moni court grin
Clap for yourself.
Now Truthsayer10 can help us translate this into Ibadan Yoruba: "The International Criminal Court has elected new presidents "

eko oni baje rara grin grin

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 10:57pm On Mar 11, 2018
imhotep:

Clap for yourself.
Now Truthsayer10 can help us translate this into Ibadan Yoruab: "The International Criminal Court has elected new presidents "

eko oni baje rara grin grin

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by coolscott(m): 10:58pm On Mar 11, 2018
adamubk:
A Nigerian jurist at the International Criminal Court (ICC) has been elected president of the war crimes tribunal.
Chile Eboe-Osuji, who became the first Nigerian to be elevated to the court in 2012, would serve as ICC president for the next three years.
The announcement was contained in a statement posted on ICC website on Sunday.
See the full statement below:
“Today, 11 March 2018, the judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC), sitting in a plenary session, elected Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji (Nigeria) as President of the Court for a three-year term with immediate effect. Judge Robert Fremr(Czech Republic) was elected First Vice-President and Judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut (France) Second Vice-President.”
The new appointee was also quoted in the statement.
“I am deeply honoured to have been elected by my peers as President of the International Criminal Court. As I take up my duties, I feel encouraged that I am able to rely on the wide experience of the two Vice-Presidents, Judge Robert Fremr and Judge Marc Perrin de Brichambaut, both of whom I have closely worked with previously.
“I look forward to working together with them as well as with all the judges, all the Officials and the staff of the Court in a spirit of collegiality. I also look forward to collaborating with the Assembly of States Parties, civil society and the international community at large, acting together to strengthen and reinforce the Rome Statute system, the 20th anniversary of the adoption of which we celebrate this year”, President Chile Eboe-Osuji stated following the election.
“I am also grateful to the previous President, Judge Silvia Fernández de Gurmendi, and Vice-Presidents, Judges Joyce Aluoch and Kuniko Ozaki, for their work and leadership,” he added.
The Presidency – consisting of the President and the two Vice-Presidents – plays a key role in providing strategic leadership to the ICC as a whole.
Benue victims may seek redress as the fed govt may be guilty of culpable negligence in the spate of killings that have befallen them under the fed govt's watch

22 Likes

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Bane2020: 11:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
Igbo again, this people and greatness sef cool cool

72 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 11, 2018
Bane2020:
Igbo again, this people and greatness sef cool cool
grin grin

53 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by hornyofife: 11:15pm On Mar 11, 2018
Na only Igbo waka come this world?

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 11, 2018
Nnamdi kanu may have know something Nigeria gvt didn't....
IPOB go start open protest again....
Who born the idiot that will shoot again?...
Bubu and his men are in soup...

IPOB 1 FGN 0
My Igbo jam of the year... Igbo amaka
Check am here
https://www.nairaland.com/4391837/igbo-jam-year-igbo-amaka

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by LZAA: 11:51pm On Mar 11, 2018
hornyofife:

Where is throwback? I guess Zik and NCNC did this too grin
Cc: Throwback come and see oo

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Throwback: 11:56pm On Mar 11, 2018
We welcome the Igbos for catching up with the Yorubas again.

Google Taslim Olawale Elias (first African to be president of the World Court/International Court of Justice as far back as 1982), then you can stop gloating after you realise that catch-up is your eternal destiny.

If you do not know, the World Court is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations.

While I celebrate with the Igbos on their lesser achievement with the ICC, I will felicitate with them when they finally attain by catch-up, the superior merit that the Yorubas attained in 1982.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by Throwback: 11:57pm On Mar 11, 2018
[quote author=LZAA post=65757798][/quote]

You always celebrate when it is too late.

When next you and hornyofife want to call my attention in a bid to gloat, do your research well so that I will not bring forward a throwback achievement by the Yorubas that would embarrass you.

2 Likes

Re: Chile Eboe-Osuji Elected President Of International Criminal Court (ICC) by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:01am On Mar 12, 2018
it's time to persecute gowon, obj, buhari, ibb, and ojukwu if possible for war crimes

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Edo Drivers Association Endorses Obaseki (Photos, Video) / Oshiomhole's Baseless Diatribe Against Okonjo-Iweala / Buhari Approves Borrowing From World Bank, China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.