Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,974 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers (4840 Views)

My Friend Bought A Used Car From A Friend Which Had No Custom Duty / Tell Us Your Experience Buying A Car With Fake Custom Papers / I Need Original Custom Papers For My 06 Corolla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Nobody: 1:56am On Mar 12, 2018
Dear Esteemed CarTalkers,
I'm in the process of buying a Nigerian used Toyota Camry 2001. The current user is the second Nigerian user. Its been certified by someone I trust to be in relatively good shape.

Whilst doing my check of the papers, it came to light that the seller did not have Custom papers for the vehicle. Seller says he never got the papers from the first Nigerian owner.

From the proof of ownership of the first owner, it was first registered in Nigeria in 2010. Seller has been using the car for three years and has had no issues with Customs (he says car has rarely left Lagos). Seller claims that there might be some policy/regulation or practice which exempts some cars from compliance with carrying Customs papers. I told him only Innoson cars and Peugeot assembled in Nigeria would be covered by that rule, if at all.

My surprise is as to how the car could even have been registered in the first place without Custom papers.

Please, what is your advice? Is it a deal to follow through with? Is the bolded true?

Your informed comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by emmaak2(m): 5:45am On Mar 12, 2018
DONT BUY

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by diportivo: 6:51am On Mar 12, 2018
if customs paper is very impt to u on a ride purchased in 2010,just walk away and don't buy

saves u stress

3 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by bravolad(m): 6:57am On Mar 12, 2018
tolusan:
Dear Esteemed CarTalkers,
I'm in the process of buying a Nigerian used Toyota Camry 2001. The current user is the second Nigerian user. Its been certified by someone I trust to be in relatively good shape.

Whilst doing my check of the papers, it came to light that the seller did not have Custom papers for the vehicle. Seller says he never got the papers from the first Nigerian owner.

From the proof of ownership of the first owner, it was first registered in Nigeria in 2010. Seller has been using the car for three years and has had no issues with Customs (he says car has rarely left Lagos). Seller claims that there might be some policy/regulation or practice which exempts some cars from compliance with carrying Customs papers. I told him only Innoson cars and Peugeot assembled in Nigeria would be covered by that rule, if at all.

My surprise is as to how the car could even have been registered in the first place without Custom papers.

Please, what is your advice? Is it a deal to follow through with? Is the bolded true?

Your informed comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Usually, after 7 years of usage, NCS would not disturb you about custom duty but it's at their discretion. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

If the car is to be used locally, u may go ahead to but it but if you travel regularly, just walk away.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 12, 2018
bravolad:

Usually, after 7 years of usage, NCS would not disturb you about custom duty but it's at their discretion. I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

If the car is to be used locally, u may go ahead to but it but if you travel regularly, just walk away.

Thank you very much. I intend to use it within Lagos for the most part.
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:06am On Mar 12, 2018
7years have passed, drive confidently any where in nigeria.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 12, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Aah Oga Gazzuzz, your comment is encouraging. I just want to clarify whether there is any specific provision of the law or a policy clearly establishing this rule. It gives more confidence when and if you engage Customs people. Thanks
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Readonee35L(m): 8:14am On Mar 12, 2018
Custom duty on nigerian used 01 camry. Lol
Custom get your time?

4 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 12, 2018
Readonee35L:
Custom duty on nigerian used 01 camry. Lol
Custom get your time?
A friend says they've stopped him like twice. He uses a tiny light Camry.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by sholarb(m): 10:17am On Mar 12, 2018
Custom can stop any car on Naija road no matter the age or bought brand new, it is the driver's responsibility to prove without doubt that such car is exempted from custom duty.

Op, you have to know your rights as per driving a car registered over 7yrs ago. If possible have a print out of such policy handy.
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Readonee35L(m): 10:33am On Mar 12, 2018
tolusan:

A friend says they've stopped him like twice. He uses a tiny light Camry.
What route?
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 12, 2018
Readonee35L:

What route?
Coming from Asaba to Lagos
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by suyamasta(m): 8:02am On Oct 03, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
Does this still apply? I hear they are now asking for duty even for cars produced in 1984
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by suyamasta(m): 8:02am On Oct 03, 2019
sholarb:
Custom can stop any car on Naija road no matter the age or bought brand new, it is the driver's responsibility to prove without doubt that such car is exempted from custom duty.

Op, you have to know your rights as per driving a car registered over 7yrs ago. If possible have a print out of such policy handy.
ok
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by imcprints1(m): 1:16pm On Oct 04, 2019
Don't buy because of the future.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by emvuatt: 8:26pm On Oct 04, 2019
It cool but same custom are the once that produce fake duty
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by Olakanmi92: 4:39am On Apr 18, 2022
There is an instance here I want to clarify please. I have a prado someone wants me to sell for him but he bought the prado from a government official, now those that want to buy have been requesting for customs duty which wasn't given to the initial owner because it was bought new.
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by kernniejay(m): 4:57pm On Apr 18, 2022
Olakanmi92:
There is an instance here I want to clarify please. I have a prado someone wants me to sell for him but he bought the prado from a government official, now those that want to buy have been requesting for customs duty which wasn't given to the initial owner because it was bought new.
Let's quote experienced guys here.
diportivo
dru23
TPound
GAZZUZZ
weyreypey
Kingreign
Heavenlybang
Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by diportivo: 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2022
Olakanmi92:

if its actually bought new,there's document to that effect from the Toyota accredited seller

if that doc isn't available, it's probably not new,or,the document is missing

1 Like

Re: Please Advise Me: Seller Has No Custom Papers by siliowhizper: 11:47am On Apr 19, 2022
Dear potential buyer,

If you have any concerns about any car documentation, that's usually the first sign for me to walk away.

Not only Innoson cars and Peugeot are exempt, I have a 2009 Honda Accord bought as brand new from Honda Place in 2010 which came with only Honda Invoice and Delivery Note. The vehicle has been on the road regularly out of Lagos in the past.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Landcruiser The World's Most Reliable Civilian Vehicle / 2013 Audi S5 Or 2013 BMW M3? / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.