Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Not Too Young To Run - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Not Too Young To Run (280 Views)

Abdulfatah Ahmed To Run For Senate, Picks PDP Nomination Form (Photos) / Majority States Pass ‘not Too Young To Run’ Bill / 2019: ‘not Too Young To Run’ Bill Scales Through 21 States Assemblies (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Not Too Young To Run by haywhybamz(m): 9:16am On Mar 12, 2018
NOT TOO YOUNG TO RUN BILL
PUTTING AN OLD WINE IN A NEW GLASS
I can’t help but laugh at the way present day Nigerian youth are jubilating over the not too young to run bill instead of going indoors and crying over the new means our so call leaders have created in order to further marginalize the youth from governance and prove to us about their national anthem which is “you are the leaders of tomorrow”. Before I go into details of what my article means, I will state what the not too young to run bill entails which is
The Nigerian senate on Wednesday July 26 2017 passed the much anticipated bill, after an electronic vote which showed that 86 senators showed their support, while 10 were against it, however, one lawmaker abstained. One thing that struck me while the youths were jubilating is that “ who is fooling who? Our politicians have found a way to cheat us again” that can we read through the lines that our politicians have structured our political system in such a way that they come up with sweet plans and agendas but deep down, there is another motive to the plan intended. One testimony to this is that Nigeria is believed to operate a multi party system but in actual sense, the country operates a two party system. A confirmation to this is that the two major parties which is the all progressive congress and the people’s democratic party currently holds 90% of governorship seats in the country.
This is where the not too young to run bill comes into play, imagine a 35 year old man, who decides to run for the post of president in the 2019 elections under the flagship of any of the two major parties and he is told there is someone who is a little bit old and more experienced than he is vying for the same post. After much persuasion, if he decides to leave about not getting a chance and goes to the other party only to see that it’s the same everywhere. After much deliberation with his not too young to run crew, they decides to setup a new party and there is a constitutional procedure which must be followed which is
They go through the process of forming a new party, working together, trying to canvass for votes. Let’s not forget, the major parties which the young man was denied comes up with a 65 year old man as their candidate which further brings the not too young bill into question. Some might argue what if the youth were given the chance, but I stand to be corrected, the current crop of politician we have, which we all know would rather give the son or daughter of a man from their clique who have spent his entire life abroad feeding on money stolen by his father, rather than give a poor youth with potentials the chance ,further questions the not too young to run bill.
I do not want to be seen as someone who is the against the youth, but before the not too young vision we all have could grow into reality the way we all crave for, much things must be done. Instead of going over to the not too young to run which to me is like jumping from 1 to 5 leaving out 2,3 and 4, why not “not too young to be politically educated”. I think it’s time for total review of our curriculum and add this which would aid our reasoning to meet the demands of this 21st century rather than the debate over the removal or Christian religious studies or Islamic religious studies. I know many might wonder why this initiative? Because I feel it the right steps to aid and make the not too young to run vision we all crave for come true. I remember months ago, when the local government elections were held across Lagos state, while coming out of my hostel room that Saturday to take a stroll with my friend who had to sleep over because we wanted to watch a Chelsea vs arsenal match that Saturday, he called my attention to a discussion which was going on amongst my neighbor which I was paying rapt attention to but decides to act otherwise, the discussion was amongst 5 people and by my calculation the oldest should be around 27 or 28 years, the discussion was that if any politician can pay 2000 ( two thousand naira) when they get to the polling booth, they will vote for the person, I stood and wonder 2000 naira and suffer for the next 4 years? And this again called my attention to the not too young to run bill, are these set of people that will champion the not too young to run vision?
To actualize our dreams and for a better Nigeria where youth with potentials and innovation will rule, much work needs to be done and it start with I and you.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Not Too Young To Run by WhoRUDeceiving: 9:28am On Mar 12, 2018
Referendum is needed

(1) (Reply)

Politicians Should Carry Out This Kind Of Protest In Nigeria. Support Or Nah / Give Priority To Access To Safe Water, UNICEF Tells FG / Delta Proud Of Tony Elumelu At 55 - Gov. Okowa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.