Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 (63567 Views)

Chelsea Vs Newcastle (1 - 0) On 13th March 2022 / Barcelona Vs Lyon: UCL (5 - 1) On 13th March 2019 / Bayern Munich Vs Liverpool: UCL (1 - 3) On 13th March 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2018
josef1:

G story for the gods
Laliga is boring to watch
EPL is the real definition of football (anything can happen) shikena!!! grin
Only in Nigeria is that thought process allowed, please don't go out of the shores of Nigeria and spill that thrash, because epl makes money for beer parlour and soccer showing houses, how does that transcend to quality of football football on the pitch... Route one farmers league with police football and a noisy press backed by sky money and foreign owners wealth
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2018
The superiority complex between the Premier League and La Liga has once again resurfaced.

Simon Kjær of Sevilla last week said that "La Liga is the best league in the world. So far I have only played against the smaller teams in Spain and they are all really good and play great football. I sometimes doubt certain teams in England are that good".

Does he have a point or is he having a laugh? To help answer that question, we've enlisted the help of stat experts.

Originally a method to rate and rank chess players, the Elo system has since been adapted to a host of other sports – including football.

The basic principle of the Elo system is that the difference in ratings between two opposing teams provide a prediction for the result of a fixture.

At the end of the game, the rating is updated based on the result; it increases if a team performed better than expected, and decreases if the performance was worse (for more explanation) for the dude who talked about players opinion, that's one for you
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 1:47pm On Mar 14, 2018

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 1:57pm On Mar 14, 2018
mikron:
Seville is not a small team like u paint them na, besides my coach mourinho cost us our defeat. Why start felaini and lingard when u have a pogba, mata, mctominay? Anyways it's over now. But pally wait o, u mean u he conceded defeat to barca already? Sharp guy grin grin grin grin
Anyways na so e go be. Maybe 2-0 .barca wins
Sevilla is a small team na .... a team like Man U should have finished them off. Mou f’ked up massively I agree. Now unfortunately this will further add fuel to the narrative that EPL teams are crap on the European stage ... undecided
Yes, my Chelsea are done in UCL. I’m being realistic with our current form.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

IF you want head to head, I can help you Google too on those stats.. Mind the gap in uefa rankings.. Worry about serie A, not laliga
Ur level of understanding is below the lowest point I can descend, sorry we shouldn't be discussing same topic 2geda, u will never follow with rhyme if Uefa is what u can use to glorify Laliga.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 2:08pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

Only in Nigeria is that thought process allowed, please don't go out of the shores of Nigeria and spill that thrash, because epl makes money for beer parlour and soccer showing houses, how does that transcend to quality of football football on the pitch... Route one farmers league with police football and a noisy press backed by sky money and foreign owners wealth
grin grin Why you de abuse persin like that ??
I agree, La Liga is a more technical league. The EPL though provides more entertainment albeit slightly lower quality footy. The EPL also has better parity in terms of league revenue/ wealth distribution giving the “smaller teams” a fighting chance ... ([url=http://globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS%202017.pdf]see data[/url]).
EPL does a better job marketing and that is why they are consistently number 1 in TV ratings globally.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

Only in Nigeria is that thought process allowed, please don't go out of the shores of Nigeria and spill that thrash
so the US is in Nigeria? Asia is in Nigeria? Spain and italians follow Epl do u knw dat? One they are saying one thing u are saying anoda thing. La Liga is a boring league, u can't even put on ur tv dat u wan2 watch a match btw ATM and Bilbao, but u can always look forward to watching Arsenal vs Hotspurs. Dat is d superiority we are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 14, 2018
ClintonNzedimma:
Like I said. Thank you very much for your time
u are welcome.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

so u are more observative than the foreign owners an sky sport? Are more advanced in thinking than the press? If u are talking abt real quality, watch the brazilian league and tell us abt d flair and quality on show there, can u ever compare that with la liga? Yet it is boring to watch same as La Liga, Epl is watched more in Asia, America, Europe than in Africa. I guess u have never travelled out that is why.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by iliyande(m): 2:59pm On Mar 14, 2018
iluvpomo:
grin grin Why you de abuse persin like that ??
I agree, La Liga is a more technical league. The EPL though provides more entertainment albeit slightly lower quality footy. The EPL also has better parity in terms of league revenue/ wealth distribution giving the “smaller teams” a fighting chance ... ([url=http://globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS%202017.pdf]see data[/url]).
EPL does a better job marketing and that is why they are consistently number 1 in TV ratings globally.

Now someone is making sense...
Yes, epl is above Laliga in marketing strategy, but in terms of field work/techniques, epl is still struggling to catch up with Laliga.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by STILESGANG: 3:02pm On Mar 14, 2018
mvem:
...i dont think so...bayern is better sef under guardiola than now....guy guardiola coached bayern and his style can match bayern, he is good at europe...bayern players and city players are very comparable...u call lewadowski, i call aguero...hummels/kompany....silva/alcantara...sane/robben...debryune is very good....it is a well matched game
Bayern failed under giardialo,They couldn't win a ucl trophy in 3 seasons.They were deadly under jupp heynches.And he is back.Giardialo is too predictable
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by mvem(m): 3:31pm On Mar 14, 2018
STILESGANG:
Bayern failed under giardialo,They couldn't win a ucl trophy in 3 seasons.They were deadly under jupp heynches.And he is back.Giardialo is too predictable
...lets see heynches lift d ucl...how many season did heynches stay b4 he lifted ucl with bayern...because guardiola did not win it in 3 seasons den he is a failure?.....see wetin ancelloti was doing with bayern
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by jumper524(m): 3:37pm On Mar 14, 2018
pasada1900:
*Arsenal kiss
am talking of big clubs
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 4:43pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
so the US is in Nigeria? Asia is in Nigeria? Spain and italians follow Epl do u knw dat? One they are saying one thing u are saying anoda thing. La Liga is a boring league, u can't even put on ur tv dat u wan2 watch a match btw ATM and Bilbao, but u can always look forward to watching Arsenal vs Hotspurs. Dat is d superiority we are talking about.
You are really deluded, superiority in followership... Epl fans make me laugh, goal post shifting
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 4:45pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
so u are more observative than the foreign owners an sky sport? Are more advanced in thinking than the press? If u are talking abt real quality, watch the brazilian league and tell us abt d flair and quality on show there, can u ever compare that with la liga? Yet it is boring to watch same as La Liga, Epl is watched more in Asia, America, Europe than in Africa. I guess u have never travelled out that is why.

Keep your guesses to yourself, you are judging by the myopic view you have here in Nigeria right, we are talking quality of football and head to head, with coefficient, you can continue to eat the media, followership, press and money... Spits grin it. Must be so frustrating I understand. The look on mourinho face at the final whistle told the story and his press conference afterwards.. Uefa has told us who plays the better football, the relevant stats, I mean on the pitch, head to head says same... EOD
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 4:48pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
... Please don't shift the post... Go and read where the narrative started... Which league is better, use your upper, no with has better media, or spends more money, or is more followed... We are talking on the pitch
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 5:15pm On Mar 14, 2018
iliyande:

Now someone is making sense...
Yes, epl is above Laliga in marketing strategy, but in terms of field work/techniques, epl is still struggling to catch up with Laliga.
I do not believe it is just marketing alone (because surely the Spanish know marketing too). The EPL has created a more competitive & entertaining league overall.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:
... Please don't shift the post... Go and read where the narrative started... Which league is better, use your upper, no with has better media, or spends more money, or is more followed... We are talking on the pitch
I and u never talked abt d pitch. And u started quoting. Moreover ur post i quoted never said anything abt pitch. U were talkn like Epl is only knwn in Nigeria.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

Keep your guesses to yourself, you are judging by the myopic view you have here in Nigeria right, we are talking quality of football and head to head, with coefficient, you can continue to eat the media, followership, press and money... Spits grin it. Must be so frustrating I understand. The look on mourinho face at the final whistle told the story and his press conference afterwards.. Uefa has told us who plays the better football, the relevant stats, I mean on the pitch, head to head says same... EOD
has it ever occurred to u dat not everybody on NL are based permanently in Nigeria? No wonder u have been spitting trash. Well if u have been opportuned to watch brazilian clubs u'll undastnd what am talkn abt. Am nt guessing. D media, followership, money etc is what is d driving force behind world football, I won't be suprised u don't know. Using UEFA as d only yard stick to qualify La liga above Epl then u should knw La liga is behind d EPL therefore u need d Ucl to stand a chance against Epl. Take it or leave it, La liga is boring, even el classico is becoming boring of recent.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

You are really deluded, superiority in followership... Epl fans make me laugh, goal post shifting
whatever has a grt deal of followership is better than its rivals. U are an ardent follower of EPL and u knw there is "quality football" in spain and u left it for "average football" in Epl, who is more deluded? La Liga has been seeking for the limelight all these while, they can win UCl for 10yrs straight, it won't change d fact dat la liga is nt entertaining, it doesn't ignite d passion of football, it is boring. Take it or leave it.
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 5:55pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
has it ever occurred to u dat not everybody on NL are based permanently in Nigeria? No wonder u have been spitting trash. Well if u have been opportuned to watch brazilian clubs u'll undastnd what am talkn abt. Am nt guessing. D media, followership, money etc is what is d driving force behind world football, I won't be suprised u don't know. Using UEFA as d only yard stick to qualify La liga above Epl then u should knw La liga is behind d EPL therefore u need d Ucl to stand a chance against Epl. Take it or leave it, La liga is boring, even el classico is becoming boring of recent.

Please leave out where people are based... If I am spitting thrash, it simply means your thought process is really very wack, reasoning I don't wanna deduce that... Laliga better than the epl... 99% of stats say so... Argue with the stats, even British agencies are not deluded enough to rank epl over the laliga... No need to continue the discuss... Go and play Mario my boy
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 6:00pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
whatever has a grt deal of followership is better than its rivals. U are an ardent follower of EPL and u knw there is "quality football" in spain and u left it for "average football" in Epl, who is more deluded? La Liga has been seeking for the limelight all these while, they can win UCl for 10yrs straight, it won't change d fact dat la liga is nt entertaining, it doesn't ignite d passion of football, it is boring. Take it or leave it.
I don't follow the bandwagon of noise making thinking that's interesting, quality of football played, laliga is light years ahead, you only have to watch both leagues mid table teams, if entertaining is as close to what man utd played in both legs, it really depicts the quality in that league...take more timeout clear your head, watch laliga games at home if you can, look at the quality of football played, then compare it with the police football in England...
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 6:00pm On Mar 14, 2018
iluvpomo:

I do not believe it is just marketing alone (because surely the Spanish know marketing too). The EPL has created a more competitive & entertaining league overall.
Pseudo competition in mediocrity you mean
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

Please leave out where people are based... If I am spitting thrash, it simply means your thought process is really very wack, reasoning I don't wanna deduce that... Laliga better than the epl... 99% of stats say so... Argue with the stats, even British agencies are not deluded enough to rank epl over the laliga... No need to continue the discuss... Go and play Mario my boy
I guess u knw little abt british ranking, and u knw li2 abt uefa ranking. U spew alot of trash, i won't be suprised u have nt gone beyound ur immediate community therefore u knw li2 abt d outside world. Talking with u further is bringing myself to ur lowlevel and average Nigerian mentality, sorry we can't blend.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

I guess u knw little abt british ranking, and u knw li2 abt uefa ranking. U spew alot of trash, i won't be suprised u have nt gone beyound ur immediate community therefore u knw li2 abt d outside world. Talking with u further is bringing myself to ur lowlevel and average Nigerian mentality, sorry we can't blend..

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 6:06pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
I stopped following the epl with delusion in mid 2000s, I watch games at home, and the only reason I would sub every month is to enjoy the quality of football from Espana in my favorite sofa... I was lodged in an hotel few weeks back, a Liverpool/Tottenham game was on I think, can't remember, I was watching villareal Eibar, the hotel attendant came into my room, saying oga premiership is on, I just looked at him and said I want to watch quality football
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by phaamsaam: 6:12pm On Mar 14, 2018
Maiconyoung:
I guess u knw little abt british ranking, and u knw li2 abt uefa ranking. U spew alot of trash, i won't be suprised u have nt gone beyound ur immediate community therefore u knw li2 abt d outside world. Talking with u further is bringing myself to ur lowlevel and average Nigerian mentality, sorry we can't blend..
End the discuss, you Wana go personal bro, it's a sport, I don't wanna go down that Lane with you, an adage says no be person when call police first dey win case o... Average epl fan always results to insults and fights at the end... Do I look like an average Nigerian to you Let me end it here... Thank God for technology, one small boy would just sit behind his keypad and be spitting thrash... I am more matured, and wouldn't wanna take this further, one final dig, someone who doesn't have a passport talking to me about going beyond the shores of 9ja grin... You better respect yourself oga...
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 7:15pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

Pseudo competition in mediocrity you mean
Mediocrity is a harsh generalization. There is a reason why EPL is the number 1 followed soccer league in the world. Attributing it to marketing is naive and also implying the Spanish are “poor sales people” cheesy
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 14, 2018
phaamsaam:

End the discuss, you Wana go personal bro, it's a sport, I don't wanna go down that Lane with you, an adage says no be person when call police first dey win case o... Average epl fan always results to insults and fights at the end... Do I look like an average Nigerian to you Let me end it here... Thank God for technology, one small boy would just sit behind his keypad and be spitting thrash... I am more matured, and wouldn't wanna take this further, one final dig, someone who doesn't have a passport talking to me about going beyond the shores of 9ja grin... You better respect yourself oga...
I said I wasn't going to reply again bt U got me cracking me hard. At least u knw its a dig. I may be a small boy to u (don't knw ur definition of small boy) but in reality am nt, so don't even thnk abt it. Enuff of football btw me and u, our point of arguement happens to be in different domain.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by STILESGANG: 7:37pm On Mar 14, 2018
mvem:
...lets see heynches lift d ucl...how many season did heynches stay b4 he lifted ucl with bayern...because guardiola did not win it in 3 seasons den he is a failure?.....see wetin ancelloti was doing with bayern
He spent 4 season in Bayern and was in the ucl final 3 out of those 4 times. And he lifted the treble in style in 2013.The guy is good.He is gunning for another treble this season
Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by mikron(m): 8:41pm On Mar 14, 2018
iluvpomo:

Sevilla is a small team na .... a team like Man U should have finished them off. Mou f’ked up massively I agree. Now unfortunately this will further add fuel to the narrative that EPL teams are crap on the European stage ... undecided
Yes, my Chelsea are done in UCL. I’m being realistic with our current form.
exactly.that's why I wanted at least 4 epl team to get to the quarters. Unfortunately it didn't come to pass.

1 Like

Re: Manchester United Vs Sevilla :UCL (1 - 2) On 13th March 2018 by jelel6: 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2018
Topiipii:

You seem insistent on carrying on this argument, so I'll just give the facts about it and put the whole thing to rest.
English teams did dominate, but it was only for three consecutive seasons and not as long as people here claim (claims based on hearsay I might add as I'm sure most of them never watched the UCL).
The golden era for English football in the UCL was from 2004/2005 to 2008/2009, a period of 5 seasons punctuated by a Spanish dominant season in 2005/2006 during which they won both Uefa competitions defeating English teams in both finals. In total they dominated for 4 out of those five seasons, you're free to conduct your research as Wikipedia usually keeps a record of each UCL season.
One other thing you should know is that there was never a season in which both R. Madrid and Barcelona were knocked out by English teams (it might happen this season, who knows), Barca was knocked out on three occasions (Chelsea 2005, Liverpool 2007, Man U 2008) and won it for the other two seasons (2006, 2009), while Madrid was knocked out once (Arsenal 2006).
For the dominant seasons(2005, 2007, 2008, 2009), English teams had 2, 3, 3, 3 teams in the semi finals respectively which is why some of these newbie fans who heard tales of those glory days seem to think it was longer than it was. The first one (2005) wasn't really a dominant season as both semi final teams (Liv, Che) got there against the odds and qualified through tightly contested matches in which they were predicted to go out (you can also check this out), I added it for the fact that 2 of out four semifinal teams were English. This takes me back to earlier point above about English teams dominating for 3 seasons; they produced 4 quarter final teams in 2 out of those 3 seasons and 3 teams in the semifinal each season. The sad part about that dominance though is that they only won it once, so it's easy for those who never watched the UCL actively back then to dispute the dominance nowadays. I used to argue a lot back then, and the basis of my argument is this 'how can you claim that the EPL is the best when their teams can only win one UCL despite having 3 teams in the semi finals for 3 consecutive years?'
To put that in perspective, the first time a league did that (in the UCL, I can't say if it was done in the old format, but I doubt it) was 1999/2000 by La liga and they played an all Spanish final. This was followed by Serie A in 2003, also an all Italian final; can you see the true dominance here? We even saw an all Spanish final in 2014 and 2016 with just 2 teams in the semi final.
In the Uefa Cup/ Europa League, the same scenario occurred in 2006/2007 and 2011/2012 also an all Spanish final, so I'm sure you're now beginning to get the point.
My advise to you is to ignore these type of arguments as you're not going to win by any kind of parameter, most times when people start this kind of argument, I just point to the Uefa coefficient index (you really need to study this in order to grasp the magnitude of the Spanish dominance, it's one that has never been seen before). The Uefa website shows the index record for the past 5 years, but I'd recommend you look for the ones earlier than that if you're interested in that kind of thing.
I hope you appreciate my 'long essay' anyways.

very nice post. and, I live football enough to know the Spanish dominance was/is one never seen before. I agree with majority of what you said above really.

perhaps, you would appreciation my post you quoted if you followed what triggered such. if you go back at that my message, you'd know I'm not saying the English teams are back. I'm saying with the indices in place - present coaches, Money, and ambition shown, they are coming, in two three years they will all compete. I believe L,pool, City and Spurs play great football at the moment and they competed and would develop further.

the Spanish did things correctly that's why they are here. its not their birthright, they worked for it - Some EPL teams are working for it.

Regards

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (Reply)

Jay Jay Okocha Vs Ronaldino: Who Is The Better Dribbler? / Manchester City Vs Chelsea (3 - 0) On 16th August 2015 / Chelsea Vs Arsenal (3 - 1) On 4th February 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.