Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Writing Tips: Write What You Know By Melissa Donovan - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Writing Tips: Write What You Know By Melissa Donovan (294 Views)

Content Writing  Tips For Beginners In 2021 / The 8 Laws Of Greatness You Must Know By Apostle Johnson Suleman (read) / Cv Writing Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Writing Tips: Write What You Know By Melissa Donovan by TheReadyWriters: 12:50pm On Mar 13, 2018
A common piece of writing advice is ‘write what you know.’

When I first heard this advice, I thought it was odd. I don’t remember where I first heard it, but I remember thinking that as far as writing tips went, it was absurd.

What about writing from your imagination or your feelings? How do genres like science fiction and fantasy fit into the idea that you should only write what you know?

It all seemed rather limiting. Was I supposed to write about American suburbia? That’s what I knew, and it was the last thing I wanted to write about.

One of the reasons memoir doesn’t appeal to me as a writer is because I don’t want to write what I know. I don’t want to relive my life. I want to use writing to live outside of my life, to explore what I don’t know.

I decided to disregard the advice and write whatever I wanted.

Read more at: http://www.thereadywriters.net/writing-tips-write-know/

(1) (Reply)

Journey To The Unknown Career Path. / 5 Everyday Book Marketing Tips For Authors / Get An Answer For Every Question You Ask Concerning Your Research/project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.