Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,972 members, 7,799,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? (6594 Views)

Nigeria, China Currency Swap Forces USD Rate Down: Bureau De Change Association / Has Anybody Been Able To Change His Account Name With Bank? How Did You Do It? / How Many Will Be Able To Withdraw Money If Atms Did This (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by oseenice: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2010
Dear Nairalanders, I have the idea to poduce a magazin hear in nigeria, I have being researching on it to know if there is a body or an association that i need to register with before i can start this publication. Please if there is anyone who has a good idea on this topic, do let me know and please advice on possible areas of this business that i might expect to face difficulties as your advice will be most appreciated.

Osee.
[size=10pt]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Nobody: 2:23pm On May 01, 2010
Hmm i really dont think so

I think you have to send in your transcript of your first publication to get your ISSN for your magazine or contact the below for details:

Nigerian ISSN Centre
National Bibliographic Control Department
National Library of Nigeria
Sanusi Dantata House Plot 274
Central Business District
P.M.B 1 Garki

Abuja
Tel: +234-1.89.40.625 / +234-1.58.50.

Apart from that i dont know of any organization you need to join as a Publisher.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by olyluv: 9:24pm On May 01, 2010
Mr publisher d only pple u need 2 register with is ISSN. D next for d vendors as well.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by sabaestate(m): 9:47pm On May 01, 2010
Remember you can't make money from
magazine business unless you make sells.
make sure you put a marketing plan in place
on how to market it, recruit motivated young men
and ladies. with these in place your success
is undenieable.

Goodluck
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by oseenice: 12:17pm On May 03, 2010
Thank you very much for your contribution, i greatly appreciate it I shall have you in Mind when I start.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by twofive: 7:44pm On May 03, 2010
I believe it is very important to get the legal aspects of your business or magazine right from the beginning. It will do a lot of good to talk with other people who have done well in what you desire to start up. You will be suprised how well informed you will eventually be as you start out.
Wish you the very best
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by oseenice: 7:49pm On May 03, 2010
Thank you very much twofive i appreciate your contribution. i will immediately work on that and I will update you as i go.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by LoveKing(m): 1:41am On May 04, 2010
@oseenice how tight is your magazine design? any prototype we can see?
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by akinalabi(m): 1:40am On May 13, 2010
oseenice:

Dear Nairalanders, I have the idea to poduce a magazin hear in nigeria, I have being researching on it to know if there is a body or an association that i need to register with before i can start this publication. Please if there is anyone who has a good idea on this topic, do let me know and please advice on possible areas of this business that i might expect to face difficulties as your advice will be most appreciated.

Osee.
[size=10pt]

You dont need to belong to any association. What you need is an ISSN. Here is what you should do.

- Go to The National Library to apply for a name of your magazine. This is to ensure that you are not using the name
of an existing publication.

- Once you are given the go ahead, you can produce the maiden edition of your magazine. That is Vol 1 No 1

- Write a letter applying for an ISSN. Attach your CAC certificate. You will be asked for about 4 copies of the
maiden edition. You are not expected to produce the second issue until your ISSN is out.

- Once your ISSN is out, you can go ahead with subsequent issues of your magazine.

All these should cost you just about N10,000

Cheers.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Greycells(m): 3:10pm On May 13, 2010
Knowledgeable people hav spoken.

Not all newspaper publishers are members of NPAN, short for News Paper Proprietors Association of Nigeria.

Not all editors are members of NGE, short for Nigeria Guild of Editors.

Register your coy. Do d ISSN thingy. Register with vendors if it is a mass market publication, shikena.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Godmother(f): 12:13pm On May 27, 2010
Hi, Oseenice, before you register the mag with National Library (which you can get here in Yaba), you will have to register the mag as a publishing company first with CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission) at Oregun Ikeja.

For Instance, if your magazine is going to be called ESSENSE , you would have to register a company name like OJB Publishing Limited and publish ESSENSE under OJB.

When you are done with that, you proceed to Yaba, close to YABATECH (cant remember the exact ad right now). You give them your selecetd name and if its approved, you goahead to publish your mag. That done, you take 4 copies of the mag, a letter of aplication on your company leterheaded paper and 5k down to be given your ISSN no
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by akinalabi(m): 6:32pm On Jun 03, 2010
Godmother:

Hi, Oseenice, before you register the mag with National Library (which you can get here in Yaba), you will have to register the mag as a publishing company first with CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission) at Oregun Ikeja.

For Instance, if your magazine is going to be called ESSENSE , you would have to register a company name like OJB Publishing Limited and publish ESSENSE under OJB.

WRONG!

Any registered company or business name will do. Even if you have a business name called Okafor Trading Enterprises, you can publish a magazine and call in ESSENCE and it will be allowed at the National Library
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by mywealth1: 7:48pm On Jun 05, 2010
I agree that d only people u need 2 register with is ISSN.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Godmother2: 2:19pm On Jun 12, 2010
akinalabi:

WRONG!

Any registered company or business name will do. Even if you have a business name called Okafor Trading Enterprises, you can publish a magazine and call in ESSENCE and it will be allowed at the National Library

Just dont let them catch you
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by toyinajani(m): 7:50pm On Jun 13, 2010
You need to register the title with national library of nigeria with some amount.You can publish first and second editions b4 registration.You must send the copies to the library. For more information, google their website to get detail. Pls do your homework properly before you launch out.I know what i am talking about.Best of luck.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by netcoach(m): 8:02pm On Jun 18, 2010
Just follow what Babaearly advised in his reply but before then you've got to register your company with CAC.
I know about newspaper and magazine production. The chunk of the job is really in marketing. Many Vendors associations will demand 50,000 naira as registration fee then you host them by buying food and drinks for the members before they will touch your paper/magazine or rather display it for buyers to see.In Lagos alone there more than 40 chapters of the Newspaper distributors association. A friend started publishing a paper last year but sales were very poor. To decongest his office he has to pay another paper to advertise that people should come to his office and pick all his editions free of charge. You know that Naija guys love freebies, so his office became a beehive of activities as many came to collect free Papers. Yet, magazine production is a money maker any day any time if your niche is a good one and the articles are well written and proofread.You must have a unique selling proposition (USP). Ovation and Genevieve Magazines carved a niche and they are succeeding today and the promoters are smiling to their banks daily. The cover matters a lot. The caption of each edition must be captivating. In fact, you will need a Consultant to guide you on how to go about it. N.B: Don't expect to make profit in the first 6 months of going into the business, but if you're patient and your product is good it will yield great monetary compensation in the long run. Many ad agencies will demand that you be in the market for at least 6 months before they can send adverts to you. I wish you best of luck, you'll make it.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by viperman: 11:34am On Jun 20, 2010
cool
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by coolier(f): 11:20pm On Jun 29, 2010
oseenice:

The only difficulty I foresee here is spelling and grammatical errors, but with a good editor and proof reader all will be well. Cheers cheesy
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by lagboy: 6:43am On Jun 30, 2010
You need to register with NUJ and Nigerian Sports Council (If d magazine will carry).
To help u boost and help ur reporter, u may need to register with NAN (News Agency of Nigeria). They will be sending latest news to u as soon as they come.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by collinsfbi(m): 1:06pm On Jul 01, 2010
I will advise you to follow just the reply of BABAEARLY. The only important body you need to register with is the NATIONAL LIBRARY OF NIGERIA to get your ISSN number, any other body is optional. I am into Magazine business before and still wish to continue but just need a break. I design, edit and publish. Attached here is a copy of my first publication designed by myself but after then we could not continue because I teamed up with pple that has no vision. Besides, don’t let pple deceive you, you can never make money from sales of magazine never, you can only get some percentages of the total cost and if you want make real sales, you need strong visual advertising networking. The only way to make money through magazine publication is to strategize, network and get adverts from big companies and organisation.

For more info contact me on toaster2k3@hotmail.com maybe we can do business together. I would love to leave my mobile number here but for security purpose. Send me a mail then I will give you my number maybe we can talk.

Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Judeylive(m): 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2010
I have the same idea too, and you guys really help! Thanks so much. If you wanna work with me on the magazine, send an email to cgpa.mag@gmail.com or search for CGPA Magazine! on facebook!
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by Govvy(m): 6:49pm On Sep 12, 2014
One thing you should also consider are columnists. It would post your magazine amateurish is you are the only one doing all writing.
Speaking Pen International Concept can help you with a lot of quality services as regard the above subject matter. Search for that firm on google for columnists, ISSN/ISBN processing, getting your books to online stores like amazon, getting reviews and so on. The firm cares more about impact than money.
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by oluwriter: 8:11pm On Nov 11, 2014
I seek to work with someone who is really interested and experienced in writing to run a newspaper in Lagos. Please get in touch: olusegun.is@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by LadyVida(f): 10:54pm On Nov 29, 2014
Judeylive:
I have the same idea too, and you guys really help! Thanks so much. If you wanna work with me on the magazine, send an email to cgpa.mag@gmail.com or search for CGPA Magazine! on facebook!

Have u publish ur magazine
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by emeths: 8:11am On Dec 04, 2014
good info
Re: Do I Need To Register With Any Association To Be Able To Publish A Magazin? by joyjoomla(m): 2:45pm On Dec 31, 2014
Hi friends! Am happy I come across this trend, I actually make google search to get here.
Please how can one get a good editor for the editing job, at less cost.

(1) (Reply)

Crypto Wallet Apps In Nigeria [2020] / NNPC Sets To Sign $6 Billion Oil Swaps Deal With Local And International Traders / BUA Foods Plc Makes Debut On Listing, Beats NGX Closing Gong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.