Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today (6298 Views)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 88th Birthday Today / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 87th Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by lalasticlala(m): 8:03am On Mar 15, 2018
Ben Okri OBE FRSL (born 15 March 1959) is a Nigerian poet and novelist. Okri is considered one of the foremost African authors in the post-modern and post-colonial traditions, and has been compared favourably to authors such as Salman Rushdie and Gabriel García Márquez.

Literary career

Since he published his first novel, Flowers and Shadows (1980), Okri has risen to an international acclaim, and he often is described as one of Africa's leading writers. His best known work, The Famished Road, which was awarded the 1991 Booker Prize, along with Songs of Enchantment and Infinite Riches make up a trilogy that follows the life of Azaro, a spirit-child narrator, through the social and political turmoil of an African nation reminiscent of Okri's remembrance of war-torn Nigeria.

Okri's work is particularly difficult to categorise. Although it has been widely categorised as post-modern, some scholars have noted that the seeming realism with which he depicts the spirit-world challenges this categorisation. If Okri does attribute reality to a spiritual world, it is claimed, then his "allegiances are not postmodern [because] he still believes that there is something ahistorical or transcendental conferring legitimacy on some, and not other, truth-claims." Alternative characterisations of Okri's work suggest an allegiance to Yoruba folklore, New Ageism, spiritual realism, magical realism, visionary materialism, and existentialism.

Against these analyses, Okri has always rejected the categorisation of his work as magical realism, claiming that this categorisation is the result of laziness on the part of critics and likening this categorisation to the observation that "a horse ... has four legs and a tail. That doesn't describe it." He has instead described his fiction as obeying a kind of "dream logic," and stated that his fiction often is preoccupied with the "philosophical conundrum ... what is reality?" insisting that:

"I grew up in a tradition where there are simply more dimensions to reality: legends and myths and ancestors and spirits and death ... Which brings the question: what is reality? Everyone's reality is different. For different perceptions of reality we need a different language. We like to think that the world is rational and precise and exactly how we see it, but something erupts in our reality which makes us sense that there's more to the fabric of life. I'm fascinated by the mysterious element that runs through our lives. Everyone is looking out of the world through their emotion and history. Nobody has an absolute reality."

He notes the effect of personal choices, "Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world."

Okri's short fiction has been described as more realistic and less fantastic than his novels, but these stories also depict Africans in communion with spirits, while his poetry and nonfiction have a more overt political tone, focusing on the potential of Africa and the world to overcome the problems of modernity.

Okri was made an honorary vice-president of the English Centre for the International PEN and a member of the board of the Royal National Theatre. On 26 April 2012 Okri was appointed the new vice-president of the Caine Prize for African Writing, having been on the advisory committee and associated with the prize since it was established 13 years prior.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Okri

1 Like

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by duroc(m): 8:06am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday Mr Ben.. Even though I don't know u.

1 Like

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Caustics: 8:08am On Mar 15, 2018
angry since today is all about birthdays.

Buhari is celebrating the birth of his stupidity today. It was born on 15 march 1943, few months after his birth

2 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by simonlee(m): 8:10am On Mar 15, 2018
who the fvck is this guy now? Is seun running out of FP materials?

Someone please kill a snake or civet let lala stay functional... i take God beg una!

3 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Liliyann(f): 8:10am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday Mr Ben
In a situation where lalasticlala is the Op,who does he call to push his post to the front page smiley
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by pussyAvenger: 8:15am On Mar 15, 2018
Your wife talk say you beat am...HBD anyway

1 Like

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by salt1: 8:16am On Mar 15, 2018
duroc:

His novel, The Famished Road, won the Booker Prize for Literature.
He's internationally recognized

6 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by ayagha: 8:16am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy to one of Deltas and Urhobos finest

1 Like

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by woleabayo(f): 8:17am On Mar 15, 2018
happy birthday mr ben
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by barbiecue(f): 8:18am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday Mr ben grin
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by DozieInc(m): 8:20am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday Ben Okri
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:21am On Mar 15, 2018
Okri [long time ago in the past]
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 15, 2018
duroc:
how u go know am when u no dey read books.na only skelewu and davido una dey know dese days
all dese indomie pickins dem

8 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday sir
u still look good
happy birthday mike okri"s elder brother

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:32am On Mar 15, 2018
salt1:

His novel, The Famished Road, won the Booker Prize for Literature.
He's internationally recognized
he wont know dat grin
nigerians dont read

3 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 15, 2018
The Famished Road was an amazing book, but it scared the shit out of me grin cheesy grin I read it when I was young and still believed in the supernatural

1 Like

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 15, 2018
simonlee:

Someone please kill a snake or civet let lala stay functional... i take God beg una!
..he was a popular novelist way back in the early 90s guy.at least this one is better in frontpage than those tonto dike or roman goddess threads.
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Seezzy(m): 8:43am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday sir!

The Famished Road is one great book I'll never forget!
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 15, 2018
lefulefu:

he wont know dat grin
nigerians dont read
That's a fallacy of generalisation. The funny thing is that you also included YOURSELF in that generalization. I believe you're a 'NIGERIANS'
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by allaboutobed(m): 9:02am On Mar 15, 2018
This just remind me. pls where can i find African books to download, i mean free download.
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 15, 2018
Nnaabros:
That's a fallacy of generalisation. The funny thing is that you also included YOURSELF in that generalization. I believe you're a 'NIGERIANS'

who told you am nigerian? I am kenyan. Does my name sound nigerian?

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by ChiefSweetus: 9:26am On Mar 15, 2018
simonlee:

You must be a skrep

2 Likes

Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by beautyoftheLord: 9:28am On Mar 15, 2018
Wow! Too many kids on nairaland. To think they don't know who Ben Okri is. Would it harm you to type on Google "Ben Okri" and learn a little about him.
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 15, 2018
Happy Birthday Sir.. He's so known by Professors who are inclined to African literatures.

Too many uneducated idiots on NL.. Shake my blessed head angry
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by purplekayc(m): 10:18am On Mar 15, 2018
The famished road
It turned my head then
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by jared007: 10:52am On Mar 15, 2018
Ben Okri one of the greatest writers from Africa. The younger brother of Mike Okri who is regarded as one of Nigerias greatest musicians.

The Indomie choppers of this generation don't know these illustrious Urhobo sons.
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by hemama(f): 12:18pm On Mar 15, 2018
Is he married to victoria inyama ?
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by toscolee(m): 2:04pm On Mar 15, 2018
Happy birthday sir. You are younger than I expect....the present generation of young people are saying they don't know you. They only know Facebook, Instagram, 2go etc Pls can you use your influence as a recognised poet to push for the upgrade of our educational system? This are leaders of tomorrow, they don't read, neither do they care. It started when more emphasis was laid on coming out with a certificate over mental development.
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by duroc(m): 6:39pm On Mar 15, 2018
lefulefu:

how u go know am when u no dey read books.na only skelewu and davido una dey know dese days
all dese indomie pickins dem

Agabalagba is ur indomie pikin?? It is well. Wetin consign science students with story book. Moreover, must one know everything? You might be blank on things I know about too. Let's talk business.. No time for literature books
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 15, 2018
duroc:

Agabalagba is ur indomie pikin?? It is well. Wetin consign science students with story book. Moreover, must one know everything? You might be blank on things I know about too. Let's talk business.. No time for literature books
science students?cheesy...is it d normal science students wey d trend for dat music or its d normal science students dat we are used to?
Re: Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today by Mophasa(m): 6:59pm On Mar 15, 2018
Please bring down my latest P, lalasticlala

(1) (2) (Reply)

Food For The Gods. / Stalked By A Mafia - An Action/romance Thriller / The Sex That Almost Got Me Killed.......prolific Write Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.