Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:13 PM

NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah (12797 Views)

I Don't Want To Serve NYSC, How Do I Exempt Myself? / NYSC Kicks Over Feeding Allowance For Corps Members As Prisoners Get N1000 / NYSC: How My Baby And I Passed Out In Style (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Yarnvibes(f): 8:45am On Mar 15, 2018
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has revealed that some employers use corps members posted to their organisations as slaves.

Mr. Emmanuel Attah, NYSC Coordinator, Osun State chapter, said this on Wednesday at the opening of the 2018 NYSC/Corps Employers workshop in Osogbo.

Atta said this was unfortunate because it would not make the affected corps members to give their best.

He said some of the corps members’ employers do not pay them any allowance, adding that the N19,800 allowance being paid them by the Federal Government was not adequate to feed, provide accommodation and transport them to work in a month.

He said, “Some of the corpers’ employers use the corps members as salves. They don’t pay most of these corps members any allowance. They believe that the Federal Government is paying them and that is okay for them.

”The N19,800 allowance the Federal Government is paying them is not enough to feed, transport them to and from their places of primary assignment and to rent a good accommodation.

“We need to treat them better and this will motivate them to also give their best.

” Corpers’ employers, by extant law, have the responsibility of providing transportation from the orientation camp for members posted to them, providing a convenient accommodation or money in lieu of, considering the fact that most of these corps members are in unfamiliar terrain.”

http://fabinfos.com/nysc-how-employers-use-corps-members-as-slaves-coordinator-attah/

1 Share

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Ifebube19: 11:33am On Mar 15, 2018
True

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by jamael(m): 11:33am On Mar 15, 2018
If they know these things, why don't they provide measures against exploitation or better still do away with the program.

A Mechanical Engineering graduate will now be doing office work, buying recharge card, photocopying document and even washing his Oga's or Madam's car all with the hope that He or she will be retained after service.

Lord have Mercy!

4 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by pyrex23(m): 11:33am On Mar 15, 2018
Ok
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by aleeyus(m): 11:34am On Mar 15, 2018
Who are them OP?

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by eleojo23: 11:34am On Mar 15, 2018
Corpers do all the work and are paid less than everyone else
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by emperorchedda(m): 11:34am On Mar 15, 2018
Only Doctor corps members are given preferential treatment most times. Some are given a lift from camp by their employers to their PPA
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Cekpo34(m): 11:34am On Mar 15, 2018
Even the FG uses corps members as slaves. Why on earth should I be receiving 19800 as allowance when such amount can't sustain me for a fortnight? Why should I travel from Calabar to Iseyin and be given 1k "bicycle" allowance? Who does that? All corps members are victims of exploitation by the state and their employees angry

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Francisayo(m): 11:35am On Mar 15, 2018
God Bless You man
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by aguiyi2: 11:35am On Mar 15, 2018
Oga,you are just realising that or you are talking because talk is cheap?
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by lilfreezy: 11:36am On Mar 15, 2018
Schools are not left out. Once they see Corp members, permanent You will not be coming to class again
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by mastar111: 11:36am On Mar 15, 2018
Its worse in Lagos here. 19800 is an insult to a Lagos corper. only transport is hell. if nt dt my ppa has staff bus, I would have stopped serving this country long ago. Thank God its getting over. I don't want to talk about feeding and accommodation.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Bonaventura(m): 11:36am On Mar 15, 2018
Yes
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by OreoPaschal(m): 11:36am On Mar 15, 2018
He didn't lie. I wonder what value the NYSC discharge certificate adds to one's career. Employees should centre and judge their staffs on the basis of their degree irrespective of NYSC certificate or not. embarassed embarassed
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Owamudia: 11:37am On Mar 15, 2018
Really

Do banks still employ corpers? That's where they are used the most.
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by eleojo23: 11:37am On Mar 15, 2018
emperorchedda:
Only Doctor corps members are given preferential treatment most times. Some are given a lift from camp by their employers to their PPA

Because they need them to come and do all the call duties grin

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by kelvinklein219(m): 11:38am On Mar 15, 2018
No allowance yet you miss one day query is waiting for you, i just found out that query makes him very happy so i am giving him maximum joy cheesy cheesy cheesy
He can't even say thank you for once.
You greet him he would snub you.
He sees you on the road he won't carry you.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by princechurchill(m): 11:38am On Mar 15, 2018
I enjoyed my nysc very well in calabar my students were good don't ask me in what area

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by calddon(m): 11:43am On Mar 15, 2018
Life of a kopa...especially in Lagos....they dont value Corp members. Kopas are cheap labour

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 15, 2018
Would be above 30 when I am done with school. Fuckkkkk NYSC hard
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Talk2david1(m): 11:52am On Mar 15, 2018
So true, imagine traveling from calabar to serve in Kebbi state and not even getting 1kobo from state or ppa and they expect you to survive on 19,800. God save corpers.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 15, 2018
This slavery is common in ministries. Corpers will be asked to wash piles of dirty plates, buy food, do staff personal assignment and many other nonsense like that. NYSC should be scrapped or a medium provided for corp members to report such acts and have the perpetrators sanctioned.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by eTECTIVe(m): 11:55am On Mar 15, 2018
Dats wat U ppl want in d name of serving fatherland
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by MAJORBANKZ(m): 12:02pm On Mar 15, 2018
true talk therefore, is either FG increases their allowance or scrap this debacle called NYSC
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by chinawapz(m): 12:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
Seriously this is frustrating
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Leosmart855: 12:13pm On Mar 15, 2018
mastar111:
Its worse in Lagos here. 19800 is an insult to a Lagos corper. only transport is hell. if nt dt my ppa has staff bus, I would have stopped serving this country long ago. Thank God its getting over. I don't want to talk about feeding and accommodation
Bro is it possible to stop serving during service year and travel abroad considering the fact that you may need the nysc certificate.
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
Education is the key to riches.Say's who?
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Nobody: 12:28pm On Mar 15, 2018
Do the beautiful female corps members face the same exploitation?Those ones na permanent pa to MD.
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Nobody: 12:39pm On Mar 15, 2018
jamael:
If they know these things, why don't they do away with the provide measures against exploitation or better still do away with the program.

A Mechanical Engineering graduate will now be doing office work, buying recharge card, photocopying document and even washing his Oga's or Madam's car all with the hope that He or she will be retained after service.

Lord have Mercy!

I only wash 4 cars in my life, my mom, dad, elder bro & my own. I do this out of respect not because they make me do it. So no oga go make me wash his car, infact let him no retain me

1 Like

Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by missterious(f): 12:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
nuoladee:
This slavery is common in ministries. Corpers will be asked to wash piles of dirty plates, buy food, do staff personal assignment and many other nonsense like that. NYSC should be scrapped or a medium provided for corn members to report such acts and have the perpetrators sanctioned.

Lol. Wash plate ke? Thank God for my PPA oh
Re: NYSC: How Employers Use Corps Members As Slaves – Coordinator, Attah by Originalsly: 12:49pm On Mar 15, 2018
Why is he blaming the employers? It is the responsibility of NYSC to ensure that the conditions of deployment are met. They are the ones sending the Corpers to be exploited and are now complaining instead of withdrawing them. Were the employers supposed to give an allowance?....if yes, then he need to be seeing that the Corpers be refunded or back paid.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benue Killings: NYSC Postpones Orientation / Bomb Scare Rocks Ebonyi NYSC Camp / NYSC: 10 Things To Do After You Get Your Call-up Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.